Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Help me choose another product?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just found this site and really wish I'd found this years ago! I am very much a novice with skin care and makeup. I need help and it's time sensitve. So while I continue using the search function, I thought I'd ask for help.

I'm 29 and have adult acne really bad on my chin. Most of it is cystic. I've always had acne issues but it became cystic three years ago. I've had two bad experiences with dermatologists so I'm a bit nervous about trying another. After much reading here I realize I need to change my skin care routine.

I'm almost out of cleanser and need to buy something in the next few days. I currently use Clinique 3 step with the acne cleanser. Yes, I've read all the bad posts about Clinique! My skin has gotten better since starting Clinique but it's still quite bad. I need something new. I was thinking about the Dr H or Juice Beauty lines. They keep showing up when I search for "acne" here.

Can I just get a cleanser and replace the other products when they run out? Or is it best to switch to a new line all at once? Is there a chance of products interacting badly if I use the clinique I have left along with other products? I'm not used to spending this much on skin care so there's a bit of a sticker shock. But I'm desperate and need to find something better. Thanks!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Misha! Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear about your adult acne. I'm 24 and have been struggling with acne for years--- it's so frustrating! Changing up your skincare routine can definitely be a very pricey venture, but I definitely think it would help you to see more results in terms of your acne. Clinique's 3 step system is so harsh, I'm sure your poor oil glands have worked themselves into a frenzy trying to keep up, which definitely isn't helping your acne, I'm sure. Cleanser is definitely a good place to start. Recently I had a really miraculous acne experience--- I talked about it in another post, but I'll describe it again here to give you some ideas for products to start with. I came home the other evening to find a couple of really swollen blemishes on my forehead, and some more sprouting up, so I sprung into action. I washed my face with Zenbiotic's Face Wash (www.zenbiotic.com---GREAT for acne!), zapped the blemishes with my Zeno, did a Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel, toned with Zenbiotic's toner, spritzed my face with PSF's O2 serum, put Juice Beauty's Blemish Serum on the blemishes, and then dusted my whole face with Bare Escentuals Rare Minerals. Miraculously, I woke up to a completely clear face, so I think I've stumbled onto a great system. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ok - someone else is welcome to jump in here to contradict me.

I purchased the Dr. H Daily Face Care kit for Oily skin a while ago because I wanted to try out their products before committing. I was really disappointed in the cleansing cream at the time, because I didn't feel that it actually got my face clean enough (it was last summer, so with the heat and humidity, I really felt the need for a good cleanser). Anyhow, based on reading here, I think that I needed to use both the cleansing milk and the cleansing cream. I like my other Dr. H products (toner and masks), so I may try again using both.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz...I did come across your other post and it's posts like those that have convinced me to try something new. It blows my mind that anything can get rid of blemishes that quick! I'd settle for a blemish lasting less than a few weeks. I think I will try a new line and get rid of the Clinique stuff.

Emma_Jane...I was going to get that same kit simply because it gives me a way to try it before diving in with my wallet. I haven't found any other lines that offer something like that. How much product does the kit give you? I'll probably find out right away if it irritates my skin. But because of the price I was thinking it's only enough last a few days.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:37 am      Reply with quote
You're right, Emma_Jane. The Cleansing Cream doesn't actually remove make up, etc, so you need to use a separate cleanser before the Cleansing Cream. Sometimes I use the Dr. H Cleansing Milk, and sometimes I use another cleanser, but I gotta have my Cleansing Cream!^-^ I also think your idea about the Dr. H oily skin trial kit is great. I've actually been thinking of getting it myself because I want to try the masks and the day oil...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Try the homemade version of the cleasing cream, you do not a seperate cleanser with this one Very Happy

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I was waiting for this topic to come up again because I have found what works for me too, and it isn't anything very expensive. In the book "The Acne Cure" Dubrow and Adderly recommend a combination of three things, each does a bit to help but together they are great. What I use after cleanser ( I like Clean and Clear deep action cream cleanser) is 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide gel from Dan Kern's 'clear skin regimen'. I put it on, massage it in, and then brush my teeth then rinse it off in the shower after about 5 minutes. After shower I use Neutrogena Clear Pore cream, which is a 2% salicylic and not at all drying. Then do the whole moisturize & makeup thing. At night I use either BP or SA under moistruizer as well. The third thing they say to use is 'glycolic acid' between 8&10%(I will try Pimple Eraser when I run out of the samples I've been using). I only use this about twice a week. Somehow the combination of these three chemicals have turned my acne off, at age 45 I finally have clear skin. Now I just have to target the signs of aging that were coming along while I was busy fighting zits.
This is long, but it works for me and isn't pricey, although I do like the 'high end' products too.
Isn't this forum fun?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Manslayerliz, will clindamycin work on cystic acne? Ever since I have started using it a few weeks back, or two, can't remember, I haven't had any new pimples. Would this help on her chin also?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Actually, it's been so many years since I've used Clindamycin, I couldn't say for sure if it would help cystic acne or not, but I'd say it's a great sign if you haven't been getting break outs! Please keep us updated!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if I should keep using it. I use it twice a day and now I am wondering if my skin will become dependent or immune to it? But, I am afraid to stop using it because my skin is so clear. Usually I would have a couple days a months when my skin would be soo clear and then bammm new pimples and they took forever it seemed to clear up. Now my skin have been clear since two day after starting to use this stuff.
Does anyone know if you can become immune to it? If its an antibiotic then I would think it would.
julliams
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
I don't really have an acne problem but I do get hormonal pimples on my chin. I had bought the MD Formulations sensitive kit and it has the facial cream and critical care cream in it. Anyway, within a day and a half my pimples were gone. I finished using the kit but had some facial cream left. Just recently I have been using Meaningful beauty which was a bit ho hum. I got more pimples on my chin again this month, applied the MD facial cream from last month and again, they disappeared by morning.

I don't know if it is just the facial cream of the combo of the critical care cream which is brilliant too but it worked for me. It is expensive to buy them outright but the packs are reasonably priced or you could always ask for a sample and see if it happens as quickly for you too.

Juliette
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
razinkane clindamycin is supposed to be very effective for treating cystic acne. You are right about becoming immune to it. Like any antibiotic, it is possibe to develop bacteria resistance. How often does this happen? I don't know but I have heard that using benzoyl peroxide in combination with antibiotics helps prevent bacterial resistance. But benzoyl peroxide has it's drawbacks too and if the clindamycin alone is working for you then I would be very hesitant to add benzoyl peroxide to your routine!
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone, such great info. I'm going to Sephora tomarrow to get something. I don't think I can wait for something to get here by mail. My cleanser (bar of soap) is the size of my thumb nail! Finding this site has saved me and my skin from another trip to the Clinique counter. I'm really excited and can't wait to start trying stuff. I'm finally hopeful that I can deal with my acne. Now it's just a matter of finding what works for me. Thanks for the ideas
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |