Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do You Return Stuff?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Beka
5% products discount

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Do you return makeup and skincare goods that you have purchased, USED, and not liked? How often do you return vs. shrugging your shoulders and tossing it in a drawer? I never return anything because I feel like I picked it, they can't resell it, its my fault. However I wonder if I should start screwing up my courage!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I return stuff that I've tried and didn't like through the Shopping Channel. I don't return things all the time. I average about one return per year. My last return was for Pur Minerals Makeup. I got the wrong shade.

If the company is flexible with their refunds, return the items. You don't want to keep stuff lying around that you're not going to use. It's a waste of money and space.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I've only returned 1 item, it was a colored eyeliner pencil recommended by a SA (it made my eyes look like I'd been crying all day).
All the rest get thrown in a drawer & I curse myself for wasting money once again.
However, this weekend I plan to return a Biotherm eye make-up remover. I was assured by the SA it was super gentle to the eyes, and it's not.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I never used to ... I would just chuck it or hand it away to someone else. I just never wanted to "bother". But these past few years I've been a bit better (although there are still times I haven't even when I could have ... or I'll not love something but keep it thinking maybe I'll use it down the road ... never do though). I've returned to the Shopping Channel, Sephora, department and drug stores ... but only a handful of items ... most things I do end up liking or atleast liking for a while until I find something else. Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Most skin care items I will try for a while to see if they work or not, so if I end up not liking them after the trial period, I usually pass them on to friends or sisters. (I'm very clean about trialing items, always use spatulas, etc, so if you ladies would ever like to lay claim to a beauty item that I complain about not liking, it's all yours! For example, I doubt I'm going to keep using this Caudalie Beauty Elixer, if anyone has been eyeing it...) But, if I get a HORRIBLE reaction to something, OR if I get a powder or concealer that is just way too dark, I'll take it back.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
When I first heard of the money back guarantee of some online sites, I was totally amazed because there's no such thing as refund/exchange policy at local stores. I've never dreamt of being able to return an opened skincare product I don't like. Rolling Eyes
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
London Drugs is excellent for taking back used products. Almost everytime I've purchased something, they tell me I can return it if I don't like it. But as I stated earlier, I usually don't bother.
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
When I first heard of the money back guarantee of some online sites, I was totally amazed because there's no such thing as refund/exchange policy at local stores. I've never dreamt of being able to return an opened skincare product I don't like. Rolling Eyes

Sephora has a good return policy. The sales people are always reminding me of it while I'm looking around. lol

I almost never return something. I always try to sample at home first. And if I purchase anything for more than a few dollars (let's say $20), I make sure they have a return policy, just in case.
That said, I only returned a beauty product once - blush - at Sephora. And that was because I couldn't take home a sample, and after using it a few times, it made my skin breakout (which is rare for me). No questions asked, and they didn't even open to look at it.

Otherwise I usually just pass a product along to family or friends.

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I only remember ever returning makeup to Clinique. I have purchased hundred and hundreds of dollars of makeup that I simply have not liked in the past and given away... if I just don't like it, I don't return it, I give it away. However I distinctly remember returning some Clinique Powder because it caused me to horribly break out... I waited for it to clear up, used the powder again and I broke out! This was years ago but I know that powder was evil... so I just had to return it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
A few months ago I bought a Marc Jacobs bag and Neiman Marcus and returned it after 2 weeks because it was falling apart. They ordered me a new one and when I went to get it, I saw the one I returned back on the shelf for the same price! I know it's not makeup, but it made me wonder about products people return that look unopened, but aren't.

I return skincare stuff I don't like pretty often, I always tell them it just didn't work, and I figure they send it back and get a refund too.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I never returned anything. All unwanted stuffs pass on to my hubby!! Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I've returned a bunch to MAC. With such a great return policy, I think MAC profits in the end because a woman will be a customer for life once she's found her HG. I wouldn't have found my MAC HG's if i wasn't given the liberty to trial their makeup. For that, I go to MAC for all my eyeshadows, eye primers, lipsticks, lip gloss and MAC Blot (currently on my 8th compact!). Their foundations break me out though :P
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I never knew you could return cosmetics. I always assumed that was a no-no. That's a big reason why I don't like to try new things. Nice to know some stores accept returns. Geez, now I have one less reason to keep my wallet closed. HeHe!
roadbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
For those in Canada, Shopper's Drug Mart is also good with returning makeup/skincare. They've said yes when I've asked whether I could return a product that's reacted badly with my skin.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
if the skincare i got doesnt work on my skin, i always try and return it,only if the store policy allows it. afterall most of them cost a lot and i work hard for my money.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
angel06 wrote:
i always try and return it,only if the store policy allows it. afterall most of them cost a lot and i work hard for my money.

I totally agree with that philosophy. I, however, never return anything because I'm just not organized enough to deal (where did I put that receipt?...heh). So, the unused stuff piles up, and the money goes down the drain. Razz

-- Bee
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
I will return something if i get an allergic reaction, but not if it turns out that i just don't like it or didn't work for me -- unless that is a guarantee they give (that was the case with the e5 (?) cream i bought at the bay)

btw, even zellers will take returns if you have a problem with a makeup item (and i assume skincare)
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
i forgot to add -- when you return an item either because there's something wrong with it, or because you got a reaction, the product is sent back to the company and the store gets credit for the return
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
Usually I'll get samples first but I usually stick with something I buy even though it's not the BEST product around while I look for something better. When I've found something better I usually pass the product on to relatives that I KNOW will find the product useful. That's for skincare. With makeup I've only had one return which was today and it was because the powder colour was fine when tested on my hand but when I put it on my face on top of my concealer it turned ORANGE.

Usually they ship it back to the head company anyways, they have a whole procedure for this stuff so sales usually don't care, some are even very nice about it too.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:42 am      Reply with quote
I just wonder what they would do with those returned opened skincare products... Rolling Eyes
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:30 am      Reply with quote
I feel weird returning open or used products. I would return clothes a lot that didn't look right when I got home, but that was different. They are not a consumable product and lots of people are trying them on anyways in the dressing rooms. I don't take the tags off until I try it on with some outfit/clothes to know that I made the right choice. Or take in the opinion of others who weren't at the store with me.

However used consumable products I feel weird about returning. Unless it was horrible and totally falsely advertised or something. It's just the idea though that it is totally going to go to waste and be thrown away. Esp. if someone else might like it. Both with the idea that it is a loss to the company, and because it's just wasted, and because I feel a bit embarrassed. I hate wasting and recycle everything I can. Return policies never used to be this way when I was growing up. If it was something that was open or could not be resold you couldn't return it. I guess they figured out that they make more money by offering satisfaction guarantees to get more people to take the risk on more products and encourage spending. I know Whole Foods where I shop every week has a satisfaction guaranteed return policy and will take anything back. But I have only returned unused and unopened products. I always make sure to tell them it's unopened so they know not to throw it away. I never really thought about the idea though that I can try a bunch of products just to see if I like them and trial them, and then return what I don't like. I guess I could do that with Dr. Hauschka's products I've been wanting to try. Yet I still feel totally self indulgent and kind of embarrassed about doing so.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I have never returned any skincare or makeup products nor would I ever deal with any company that allows the return of opened products. I just hope that EDS does not accept the return of opened products either.
Would you buy a cake, take a bite out of it, say 'I don't like this' and return it expecting your money back?
If you are unsure how a product will react on your skin then get a sample.
I would hate to think that the price of skincare has to be elevated to take into account those people who can't take responsibility for their purchases.
If the product does not suit your skin then that is tough luck and is not the fault of the product because it probably suits many other skins.
If an online site has an open return policy and low prices then you will get what you pay for - some other person's returned, opened, made to look like new, product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
On very rare occasions, I will return expensive products that I absolutely hate or that damage my skin/hair. I would never bother to return an inexpensive product. I usually give away products that I try and do not like, or I use them for another purpose (face moisturizer on my feet, etc.)

I can't believe that stores would sell used products! That is so unhealthy and disgusting. I would throw a fit if I bought something new and saw that it had been used.

Beka wrote:
Do you return makeup and skincare goods that you have purchased, USED, and not liked? How often do you return vs. shrugging your shoulders and tossing it in a drawer? I never return anything because I feel like I picked it, they can't resell it, its my fault. However I wonder if I should start screwing up my courage!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:34 am      Reply with quote
roadbee wrote:
For those in Canada, Shopper's Drug Mart is also good with returning makeup/skincare. They've said yes when I've asked whether I could return a product that's reacted badly with my skin.

The SA I talked to at SDM told me I could return but it must be within 7 days. So I never return anything because most of the time I don't use the products right away and sometimes the problems don't show up right away. The SA was sure that if I have any reaction to the products, the problems would show up in the first couple of uses.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I always used to feel really guilty or embarassed in the past about returning things so almost never did. But as I matured I realized that it was a stupid way for me to think and a waste of money for me to keep something that just was not right or that I would never use. In saying that I still hardly return anything. Something has to be horribly wrong with it to merit a refund, like an allergic reaction, or manufacturing defect, or product misrepresenation etc. For example, I purchased a Lavera eyeshadow online a couple of weeks ago and the colour was stated to be light green and olive and the pictures showed those colours as well. When it was rcvd, however, the colour was actually a creamy white and green. It really wasn't what I expected or wanted so I returned it, of course after contemplating if I should just accept it and be done with it. LOL If you are constantly returning things than I think that maybe it's time to do a bit more research before purchasing something to see if you really want or need it, and avoid impulse buying. I usually put a lot of thought (sometimes way too much thought) into a purchase before whipping out the CC and find that this saves me the trouble of having to ask for a refund later on.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |