Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Update on my lip issues--- good news and bad news
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Well, as some of you probably remember, I was being driven nuts by a mysterious lip allergy, so I finally broke down and went to see an allergist last week. I was hoping for some quick pin pricks on my back, but no, instead I had to have like 60 patches stuck on my back. After 48 hours I was allowed to remove the patches, but I was NOT allowed to shower for a whole 7 days---- talk about demoralizing! I kept myself sane by sponge-bathing in the tub and getting my hair washed at the salon every couple of days, but still, it was NOT an experience I would like to repeat anytime soon. (As soon as I click the "post" button, I'm soooo taking a 4 hour shower!!)

The good news is that I tested positive for being allergic to something: dodecylgallate. Apparently it's a preservative used in fats, emulsions, etc. As I am a very concerned consumer, you have to get up pretty early in the morning to find an ingredient I know nothing about, but I was totally in the dark on this one. Still, as you guys know, I really do my best to avoid nasty chemical preservatives such as parabens and their ugly brothers and sisters, and so I told my Dr. that I was pretty sure I did not have a lot, if any, of lip products containing this ingredient. That's when she told me that she had a patient who had a case very similar to mine before, and that she also wasn't using any products containing this preservative. So, when my Dr. looked into this matter further, she discovered that sometimes in countries like India they will put this preservative in their castor oil to keep it from going rancid. But the cosmetics companies who buy the castor oil don't realize it's in their, so it doesn't appear on the ingredients label. (That's a nice thought, isn't it?) So, she says that my safest bet is avoiding castor oil as much as I can. It's kind of a pain, but I guess it could be worse. Now I have the unenviable task of going through ALL of my beauty products and culling out everything that contains castor oil. It's going to be quite a task considering I don't have the packaging for a lot of my products anymore, argh! So, if you guys get bombarded with a lot of requests for ingredients lists from me over the next couple weeks, I want to apologize in advance. One thing I'm HOPING is that high-end, natural companies like Yon-ka will be using organic, locally-sourced castor oil, because if they are then it's prolly safe for me to keep using it. (Don't want to give up my emulsion pure...) But I'm just going to pass the majority of my castor oil products along to my Mom and sisters... sigh. I hate having sensitive skin!

PS- If anyone is feeling especially sorry for me and you know off-hand that a product I probably use (PSF, Decleor, Jurlique, Juice Beauty, Dr. H, etc) contains castor oil, let me know about it--- I would be eternally grateful. TIA!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Wow, Manslayerliz, this sounds horrible. I really empathize with you.

My suggestion for a gentle, multi-purpose product is Astara Antioxidant indfusion. You'll have to research it a bit to see if it meets your requirements ... but I find that it's very good for extra sensitive skin. (You might remember that my skin is flipping out lately, and I love this product for its healing properties).

I use it as a light moisturizer, on blemishes to speed healing, on ingrown eyebrow and moustache hairs Embarassed and, as a blam when I get too much sun.

Hang in there! Smile PRS
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Holy cow, Liz...what an ordeal! Shock But at least now you've got a handle on what's up...and I will keep my fingers crossed that you won't have to give away all of your favorite products (please tell me the Sugar glosses don't have castor!! Pray )!

Mary Smile
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Holy moly, Liz! I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this, but happy you've found the reason and culprit.. And thanks too, for passing on the info you've found..

Best of luck with your weeding out process and if there's anything I can contribute to help, I sure will...
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, ladies! I'll definitely keep you updated! So far the most traumatic thing to part with has been my favorite conditioner (Better Botanicals Pure Gloss--- Castor Oil is one of the main ingredients). But I just ordered Desert Essence's Red Grape and Green Apple Conditioners, so I'll be sure to report back on how I like them!^-^

Mary- The good news is that the I scream for Sugar glosses are 100% safe. The Plump Em Up contains only the tiniest smidge of castor oil as the very last ingredient, so I think I might try to still use it and see what happens as I would have a very hard time saying goodbye to it...

prs- I looked at the antioxidant infusion you suggested and it looks like a perfect match for me!^-^ I'll try to get a sample of it from EDS and see if it agrees with my skin. Thank you for the suggestion!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:48 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Thank you, ladies! I'll definitely keep you updated! So far the most traumatic thing to part with has been my favorite conditioner (Better Botanicals Pure Gloss--- Castor Oil is one of the main ingredients). But I just ordered Desert Essence's Red Grape and Green Apple Conditioners, so I'll be sure to report back on how I like them!^-^

Mary- The good news is that the I scream for Sugar glosses are 100% safe. The Plump Em Up contains only the tiniest smidge of castor oil as the very last ingredient, so I think I might try to still use it and see what happens as I would have a very hard time saying goodbye to it...

prs- I looked at the antioxidant infusion you suggested and it looks like a perfect match for me!^-^ I'll try to get a sample of it from EDS and see if it agrees with my skin. Thank you for the suggestion!

I *love* all of Astara's products. The Infusion is pricey, but, it's like putting serenity on your face.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
do you think the astara product will help ingrown hair on my legs? I have a rash on the top of my legs due to ingrown hairs and it just won't go away.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, I'm so happy to hear that the Sugar glosses (and plumper!) made the cut! I know how much you love them, and it would've sucked to have to send them to the "give away" pile!

Mary Smile
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |