Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Can you recommend a good clarifying shampoo?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've only tried one from herbal essence and it dries my scalp out so that i end up with dandruff for days Sad

Any suggestions? (i have fine hair and wash my hair about 4 days a week)
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Stay away from Herbal Essence!! Smile (SLS filled!)

You can create your own clarifying shampoo with Baking SODA Smile do a search for it Smile

* Find an SLS free shampoo (I recommend Nature's Gate) then add Baking Soda but do rinse thoroughly then condition your hair. I do this 1x a week. It's been great Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard good things about Bumble&Bumble's Sunday shampoo. It's especially beneficial for people that don't wash their hair every day. I think that you are supposed to use it one day a week and it's good on all hair types-but shouldn't be used if you have chemically treated hair.

You could also put some ACV into the shampoo that you use now. I did that and my hair feels lighter and sooo shiny. (I have fine hair too)
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Nizoral. Very effective.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
You may want to try the Pur Line from Druide - a Canadian Certified Organic Line. It's a great scent free shampoo with lots of healthy hair goodies and gentle enough to use daily. It's specifically suggested for those with very sensitive scalps so you shouldn't have any reactions to it. The added feature is that if you like your shampoos to smell nice, you can add a few drops of your favourite essential oils as well. (That's what I've done.) I don't know what country you live in but if you can't find it in your local shops than you can buy it online atwww.lukab.com
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Redken make an effective clarifying shampoo. Can't remember the name, I'm afraid, but I've used it before and thought it was pretty good.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Duplicated post, sorry. Embarassed
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Federic Fekkai makes an ACV shamp, thought I suspected it's overpriced considering you could just do what others suggested and stick ACV in your own shampoo.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm trying to get away from the whole sulfate scene but I still have a bottle of Suave's clarifying thats just like the Rusk... I only use it like once a month but I'm pretty happy with it. It says is gentle enough for everyday use. I have to say, a long time ago I tried the baking soda and it tore my hair apart... it was so knotty I thought I was going to have to cut it all off.. I've heard this works well for some, but man was it tough on my hair. Maybe I used to much... I don't know.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, now the whole baking soda idea freaks me out! are there any horror stories about using AVC?

Linnie, isn't nizoral for dandruff?

Wildflower, i am in montreal, quebec, canada. i have seen druide but didn't know anything about it. the thing is, i use other products on my hair besides shampoo and conditioner, so i'm thinking i need to periodically wash those things out. does druide shampoo also clarify?

thanks everyone for the other recs -- i'll check them out! Smile
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
Ok, now the whole baking soda idea freaks me out! are there any horror stories about using AVC?

Linnie, isn't nizoral for dandruff?

Wildflower, i am in montreal, quebec, canada. i have seen druide but didn't know anything about it. the thing is, i use other products on my hair besides shampoo and conditioner, so i'm thinking i need to periodically wash those things out. does druide shampoo also clarify?

thanks everyone for the other recs -- i'll check them out! Smile

As far as I know Nizoral is for dandruff and psoriasis. Don't think it would be clarifying or suit your needs.

As for Druide, it's a Quebecois company so keeping it local would be great! They have some great products. I love their bodywashes and shampoos. If you're looking for something to strip some of the product and build up on your hair, I would also suggest the rinse with organic Apple Cider Vinegar. It may not smell the greatest but it does works well and leaves you with shiny, bouncy healthy hair. I use it often. I apply it after I shampoo and before I condition so that the smell doesn't stick as much. You may also want to find other daily products that are less harsh and don't cause build up. You can find a lot of good organic and natural hairsprays, gels, pommades etc. Druide has some in their line as well.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Wildflower, i may check druide out after i finish my current stash of shampoos and conditioners!

the products i use are for combating tangles and frizzies -- a big problem for my fine hair in the humid weather we've been having here. it took a long time but i seem to finally have found a couple of products that work Smile

i am lucky in that i have healthy hair that is resilent Smile

BTW, do you leave the AVC in? Shampoo, rinse, pour on some AVC, then condition w/o rinsing out AVC?

Thanks!
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Wildflower, i just checked out the site you posted. I only saw one druide shampoo/gel and it has citronella. I just learned that scent actually attracts insects (contrary to popular belief).

Also, $6 for 250ml seems a bit pricey -- is that typical for organic shampoos?
skinlove
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
You can either put a couple of tablespoons of the ACV into your shampoo or you can use an ACV rinse. I usually mix ACV with some water and use it as a final rinse. Smile
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Skinlove, do you mean final rinse before putting on the conditioner?

Right now i shampoo, rinse, put on conditioner, then rinse. So AVC rinse would go in the middle, or at the very end?

i rotate shamoos, so i don't think i want to add to the shampoos Smile
skinlove
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Montrealgal-
I use the ACV rinse after I shampoo and before I condition. I think that it helps with the smell. I'm not sure if it makes a difference when you use it exactly. Hope that helps Smile
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, Skinlove -- I've got it now!

Thanks! Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Any shampoo can become a clarifying shampoo simply by adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to the entire bottle and shaking well before dispensing product into your hand. The added benefit of using ACV instead of baking soda is that if your hair is color-treated, the ACV will normalize the PH level of your hair so that your color stays truer longer. Baking soda is alkaline and will strip the color out after just a couple of shampoos. Check out the DIY sticky thread for more info on the benefits of ACV in your shampoo or conditioner. ETA to add link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=8

BTW, NEVER mix ACV and baking soda together in your bottle of shampoo to make a super-duper clarifying shampoo. Trust me on this, because I did it when making a super clarifying shampoo for my mom who has extremely fine, extremely oily hair! But I forgot what happens when you mix those two ingredients and my shampoo bottle ended up exploding from the contents being under pressure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
P.S.
montrealgal wrote:
BTW, do you leave the AVC in? Shampoo, rinse, pour on some AVC, then condition w/o rinsing out AVC?
All of the above! You can add it to your shampoo and wash your hair as usual. You can add it to your conditioner and condition your hair as usual. Or you can make a rinse using 1/4 cup ACV to 1 quart (liter?) of warm water and pour it over your hair just before getting out of the shower (do not rinse it out).

Personally, I add ACV to both my shampoo AND conditioner just because it really helps me keep my dyed red hair stay RED!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:04 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
Wildflower, i just checked out the site you posted. I only saw one druide shampoo/gel and it has citronella. I just learned that scent actually attracts insects (contrary to popular belief).

Also, $6 for 250ml seems a bit pricey -- is that typical for organic shampoos?

Citronella Oil actually is an effective bug repellant. Many studies have proven this fact so I'm not sure where you read that it attracts them. The problem is that a lot of products that have citronella oil also include other citrus oils or scents which do attract bugs, or they don't use true Citronella EO and instead just use a frangrance oil that smells like it which will of course have different chemical constituents. Druide actually has some info about citronella on their site about Canada reexamining the issue of citronella.

I'm not sure how you were only able to find one shampoo on their site though as they have quite the varied line. I just checked their site and it says they are on in the processing of updating but all the shampoos were listed. Try this link:

http://www.druide.ca/catalog/default.php?language=en

As for the price, Druide shampoos are reasonably priced compared to other lines. They are about $10 CAD give or take. (You might have been looking at an American site.) Also when they say organic, they mean it. They do not add parabens, or other preservatives or chemcicals. They are pretty pure and they have been certified by ECO Cert which is great.

Hope that helps.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate,

Thanks for the tips on using AVC and for the link! Smile I will check out the thread.

Oh -- and appreciate the warning about mixing AVC and baking soda. My bathroom is already a mess -- i don't need an explosion to add to it! Laughing
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Pantene is about the only hair care products in terms of shampoo and conditioner that I use. It seems to rinse out of my hair completely and conditions my very dry color treated hair. I am really rough on my hair and notice if I can get away without washing it for a day, it behaves better!
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wildflower,

Thanks for the new link. Smile This is definitely different than what I saw when i visited last time.

I heard that about citronella from a chemist who is a media personality here. He was talking about ways to ward off mosquitos. I'll contact when I have a chance and ask him to confirm or clarify (he encourages anyone to contact him with questions, but I also happen to be acquainted with him).

I was surprised to hear it because i know they make citronella candles etc to repel mosoquitoes...

Thanks again, Wildflower! Smile
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Redken Hair Cleansing Cream is nice to use once a week or so to remove any build-up from serums and styling products - I used to use it regularly, however I switched to MOP hair products a couple of months ago and they seem to be great for removing build-up on a daily basis so I only use it very occasionally now, when I remember. I use the Glisten range and it's great for my thick, wavy hair.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Another vote for Redken.

Thanks, fifi Smile

What's MOP?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |