Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Troubles with PSF Super Emergen-C Repair Serum 20%
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I was feeling froggy last night and decided I'd experiment with a sample of the PSF Super C Serum and see how my skin looked in the morning. Hoping for a brighter complexion when I rose in the a.m., I was sad to see several new blemishes instead. I'm not an experienced C Serum user - can anyone comment on whether I should start out with a lower percentage or possibly a different product line? For reference, my skin is oily and extremely sensitive. Thanks everyone!
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmmmm... I'm not too sure. I use the 20% myself and I have combo skin (clogged pores in tzone). I don't think I've broken out any more from this, but my skin isn't clearing up as much as I'd like either. It does seem alittle oily when you put it on. Most times I'll put it all over my face, and other times if my chin is in bad shape, I might keep it off those areas.

Hopefully someone else has more experience with other Vit C products they could suggest.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,

The PSF product contains a fair amount of glycerine, which does cause breakouts for some oilier-skinned, sensitive individuals. I would suggest a glycerine free serum. The ones sold by Skinceuticals are fine (but expensive) or sold by DiannaYvonne.com
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't find anything noteworthy about the PSF version, and did find it quite oily. I prefer Skinceuticals or philosophy.
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you guys for the feedback. It's great to have some alternate suggestions. I'm tempted to try Mychelle's Perfect C Serum, because I've had such good luck with their other products. It's a 15% serum but from the ingredient list, it appears to also have glycerin in some form but maybe in a smaller amount than PSF's.
Ingredients: Distilled water, witch hazel, L-ascorbic acid, wine phytoalexins,retinol/glycolic acid polymer, glycerol, L-castor oil methyl glycol
ethyl alcohol, tangerine essential oil, grapefruit essential oils, CoQ10, lycopene, sandalwood essential oil, D-beta, xanthan gum, D-beta, D-beta, amino-guanidine
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:03 am      Reply with quote
If you have oily skin then I think you might be better off with the more watery formulations like those of Cellex-C and Skinceuticals. Seeing as your skin is sensitive I'd suggest that you don't start out with more than 10% as the Cellex-C/Skinceuticals serums are also more likely to sting than PSF or Vivier and the less watery serums.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:
I didn't find anything noteworthy about the PSF version, and did find it quite oily. I prefer Skinceuticals or philosophy.

My thoughts exactly. Not a PSF fan, but love SkinCeuticals and Philosophy!
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:58 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
Thank you guys for the feedback. It's great to have some alternate suggestions. I'm tempted to try Mychelle's Perfect C Serum, because I've had such good luck with their other products. It's a 15% serum but from the ingredient list, it appears to also have glycerin in some form but maybe in a smaller amount than PSF's.
Ingredients: Distilled water, witch hazel, L-ascorbic acid, wine phytoalexins,retinol/glycolic acid polymer, glycerol, L-castor oil methyl glycol
ethyl alcohol, tangerine essential oil, grapefruit essential oils, CoQ10, lycopene, sandalwood essential oil, D-beta, xanthan gum, D-beta, D-beta, amino-guanidine

I really like MyChelle products as well. I tried a sample of the C serum and liked it. Might buy it... They sell mini samples of it on their website.
syllie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
So far, I have enjoyed PSF 20% C serum. I have combination skin and have not broken out from it. I'm really hoping to like this! I do like the smoothness on my skin after using it, I use very little and massage until it disappears! Smile
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I love that the PSF serum is "encapsulated in nanospheres" because it does lower the irritation factor--I just wish there was no glycerine in the formula...
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Lucinda, thanks for the tip about buying Mychelle samples from the site. I usually buy Mychelle products at Wild Oats and they have some trial sizes but not of everything! That's actually how I got hooked to begin with, they make it so easy to try something new. The cranberry cleanser seriously revolutionized my skin. Very Happy
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
I was feeling froggy last night and decided I'd experiment with a sample of the PSF Super C Serum and see how my skin looked in the morning. Hoping for a brighter complexion when I rose in the a.m., I was sad to see several new blemishes instead. I'm not an experienced C Serum user - can anyone comment on whether I should start out with a lower percentage or possibly a different product line? For reference, my skin is oily and extremely sensitive. Thanks everyone!

If you had new blemishes the next morning I would think they were right under your skin and ready to come to the surface. Vit C can make your skin purge some as it is an antitoxin.

As a new C user I would start with a 10% solution (15% highest) and work yourself up. HTH
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
Lucinda, thanks for the tip about buying Mychelle samples from the site. I usually buy Mychelle products at Wild Oats and they have some trial sizes but not of everything! That's actually how I got hooked to begin with, they make it so easy to try something new. The cranberry cleanser seriously revolutionized my skin. Very Happy

Have you tried the fruit enzyme mist?! I love that product. I use it as a toner or over another toner. I adds sun protection and makes my skin like nice!

Is the canberry cleanser for more oily skin? I think I remember trying it a couple of times and it was a little too drying... I use the fruit enzyme cleanser and love it. I want to try the honeydew cleanser! I think that might work well for me during winter. I had a sample of the pumpkin renew cream and really liked that as well. It smells soooooo good!!
I think MyChelle makes very good products which are inexpensive. Many of my friends have had great success with this line. Smile
syllie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi PocoLoco! Very Happy Oh, I loved to see you on this forum, I enjoy reading your posts at another skin care forum! And here too Wink
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Syllie!! Nice to see you too... Very Happy
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Lucinda,
I've been wanting to buy the Fruit Enzyme Mist cuz it just looks so delicious and I thought it would work well to set my MMU. It's good to know you love it - I'm sure I will too!

The cranberry cleanser isn't so much for oily skin as just for blemish prone skin. I moisturize lightly afterwards and it works fantastic for me. I DID discover that it is a little too acidic to use with my Clarisonic skincare brush, cuz when I was using the cranberry cleanser before I bought the brush, my skin was literally almost perfect. But after using it for a few weeks with the Clarisonic, my skin was getting increasingly unhappy. It just doesn't have enough " slip " for the rotating bristles. The last week, I've gone back to applying the cranberry cleanser with just my fingers to work up a lather in the morning, and then I use the brush at night with Lamas Botanicals Super C Cleanser. My skin seems MUCH happier already and no new blemishes on the horizon. Yay! It's crazy how much you have to analyze your skin care routine and figure out what you've changed to resolve things!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |