Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
IPL vs SPL hair removal? SPL brazilian - OUCH!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:48 am      Reply with quote
Ok ladies (and gents too of course, though I doubt you'll like this topic... Smile), I need some help please.

I have decided for some reason that I am going to get an SPL (Luminex) brazilian done. I basically just decided this yesterday (not that I've ever had a brazilian done even with wax). My first session is in about a week and a half, and, while I may live to regret this, I am pretty determined not to chicken out of this (also getting underarms done). However, I would like to go in prepared and have a realistic expectation of the pain.

I have heard that SPL is much less painful than IPL. In fact, a few people have told me that their underarms done with SPL did not hurt AT ALL. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case? I am not sure what the difference between IPL and SPL is either but I have read that some people are having more success with SPL than IPL. Is there any scientific reason for this or is it just luck?

TIA Angel
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

That's a great decision. I'm doing laser hair removal for many parts of my body including full brazilian and underarms. These areas are the MOST painful to treat because the hair is very thick. It doesn't matter if you use laser or IPL or anything else you will feel pain. BUT with Laser it's 10 times more painful than IPL, I jumped with each zap despite the fact that I had Emla 5% on Shock Embarassed (I started with IPL and switched to diode Laser from lightsheer). But in the end it's worth all the pain, because you will be hair free for a very long period. I would recommend that you take a panadol (panodil) or ibroprofen/profen 1 hour before the sessions.

It's the first time I hear about SPL but I think it's almost like IPL just a more advanced technology. But I would prefere a more proved technology.

Good luck Very Happy
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy I am a wee bit concerned for ya, isnt this permanent, what if you dont like it Confused . Might be better to do the wax one first, kinda test drive it, and then if your in love go for it. I've had normal to oppps we did too much waxing done before and the pains pretty sharp for about a nano second, then nothing. So by the time u finish screaming its over Wink . Hope that helps

Melissa
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the advice ladies. I might track down some emla but will also down some ibuprofen beforehand. I didn't even think of this...

After some searching online, the only difference I can find between IPL and SPL/SIPL is that the shape of light is square... ??? Sounds like an iffy difference but I can't find much else about it.

Melissa - I know what you mean. This has crossed my mind as well but then again I figured that odds are that I will like it. The problem is that I keep hearing that brazilian waxing is so painful that I just haven't been able to persuade myself to go get it done. The SPL takes 10 minutes to get the brazilian AND the underarms. A brazilian wax by itself even takes much longer than this. If I'm going to go through pain then it'd better be short! Smile

I shall report back I guess (without gory details) once I get the first session done.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:26 am      Reply with quote
Not sure what this SPL Luminex thing is? Is it an Australian brand name?

I've had laser hair removal on my legs, underarms and bikini line some years back, about three sessions for each area with pretty good results, except for some burns in the bikini area after one session.

I thought lasers worked on the theory of the hair being darker than the skin, with the *ideal candidate* having very pale skin and very dark hair? Which makes me wonder about having Brazilian style? Without getting too personal, most women have variations in skin tone in that area which I would imagine might make it easier to get burnt or the procedure may not work at all? In fact the couple of burns I got were in areas were the skin was a bit *darker*. Yes, OUCH!!!
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:59 am      Reply with quote
I don't think it's Australian. I thought it was French but I'm not sure anymore. I'm not finding all that much info about it online.

Yes, I am apparently the perfect candidate because I'm really pale and have dark hair. Your experience with the burns has me a tad worried now. I'll make sure I ask those questions before I get it done. Thank you! Smile
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Ok, I knew I read this somewhere. On the clinic website it says that it's a French system.

http://www.hairfree.com.au/
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Cool <<-- Mabys's SPL therapist Laughing Laughing

Anxious <<-- Mabsy in the waiting room.

Pray <<-- Mabsy lying on table before treatment

<<-- Mabsy during treatment

Shhh <<-- Mabsy's SPL therapist during treatment

Silenced <<-- Mabsy after therapist can't keep her quiet

Dancing <<-- Mabsy after treatment complete

I am in the queue awaiting news of how you go. Now this is a bit personal, but then again, I guess it aint since it is the same for everyone who has it done.. but are you supposed to go to the treatment shaved, half-shaved or shaggy? (this from the woman who does not even know which of the above is true for waxing)

Shock I just peeked under my arms - I never knew I had dark hair there! When did that happen?! Laughing Laughing Oh well, I guess I am a good candidate! ... Embarassed I also guess that the fact I can see the dark hair means it is time to dig out the Venus. Embarassed

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:30 am      Reply with quote
rofl rofl rofl

Classic! Give me a few seconds to get up off the floor....

Um... you are supposed to shave the day before. You can't have longer hair because when it lies on the skin it will cause burns (yikes!). Let's hope your "during treatment" prediction is not true... Smile
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, you sure about the shaving before you go?
When I had my bikini line done they needed to mark the outer (and inner) edges of the area requiring *zapping*. Not sure if they can see the outer edges clearly if you have shaved already? They *helpfully* did the shaving after the marking.

Which brings me to another tip. If you do decide to just get the edges of the bikini line done (rather than the brazilian) it's a good idea to mark with a texta exactly the line you want. If you just let the nurse/technician draw it she may have a different idea to yours as to the *perfect bikini line*.
You have no idea how embarrassing it is to be lying on a table naked from the waist down, legs apart, with only a tissue covering your girly bits, while you struggle and contort trying to redraw the line with an audience of giggling nurses! Laughing
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:34 am      Reply with quote
appletini - hmmm... I'm having more and more doubts about this.... Marking the inner boundary hey... Embarassed

I was definitely told to shave the day before. I will doube check this when I confirm my appointment though - you have a good point since they can't just point that zappy thingy anywhere they want...
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Ok, this is my very first post on this forum, and I'm going to start rather personal! I've had a brazilian IPL done, and it was the most painful thing I've ever done. And I had the Emla cream as well as codeine based painkillers. I had 4 sessions, and it greatly reduced the amount of hair, but didn't get rid of it completely. I'd need a few more sessions, but it was just too painful.

Also had my armpits done, they were much better, after 4 sessions, there's very little hair left. There was quite a lot to start off with, so I was happy with the result.

As to burning, I had some in the bikini area, the skin all peeled off, it took about 2 months to recover completely, but no scarring. Apparently there was a fault with the head, they had changed it the day before, and the self-diagnostic thing didn't pick up the problem.

For me, it was worthwhile, but very painful.
Phew. Hello everyone, nice to meet you all! Laughing
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Verdigris - Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure if anyone's ever started here on such a personal note Laughing

Ok, this pain thing I am hearing about does not excite me AT ALL and is completely at odds with what the lady told me after I quizzed her about pain levels. I really like the sound of your underarm results. I think in the end even if after a few sessions I still have hair - as long as it's much reduced I will be happy. I doubt that I will go for a second brazilian session if the first one is as painful as you say though. I hope they have some magic machine that doesn't hurt - oh please, please, please! Pray
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Dont' mean to put you off. I'm actually quite happy with the end results of my laser hair removal, except the burns!

But that was just bikini line (and full legs and underarms). I personally don't think I would let a technician (or doctor) point a laser, IPL or similar gadget at the shall we say *more intimate* areas involved in a Brazilian.

The two or three small burns I had in the bikini line area were EXTREMELY painful and I hate to think what damage would be done if they were another inch inwards, if you get my drift.
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome, and indeed, I started very personal! Very Happy

The way the pain was described to me was "hot rubber bands flicked at the skin". To me, it seemed more painful than that. The technician had her armpits done, but said she'd never get face or bikini done because she's too scared of the pain. But apparently men have their beards done, I think that would be even more painful, because they'd have more hair...

The area where I was burnt was where the leg joins the trunk of the body, kind of the bend part. This is also the least fleshy part, so whenever I was "shot" there, it was very painful. In fact, that was probably the most painful area. There was also a tiny bit of burning on armpit area, but that was gone in about a week or two.

The reduction in hair in armpits is about 80%. I used to be able to wax them once a week, now I do them once a month. Worth every cent, especially in summer.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Laughing well at least if your to shave the day before, you'll have a sneek preview and know if you already like it Laughing !! I had surgery recently (hernia) and with the cut being a bikini cut, they had shaved half and left half, so I had a living before and after rofl !! I still can't quiet decide which side was best!!!
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to say that with each session you’ll feel less pain (less hair less pain), but the bikini area has thicker hair it will always be painful, but not as painful as in the first session.
I’m doing laser hair removal for everything down there (I mean Everything Cool ), legs, arms, armpits and face. The first laser session was VERY painful, but when I did my arms and legs at the second session I felt nothing, so the technician raised the power.
The problem with doing laser for a full bikini is not only the pain with each session, but also the embarrassment when some one is looking at the most private parts which in my opinion are the ugliest parts of my body Shock Embarassed Embarassed . I usually want it to go fast, but it takes few minutes and I have to say that I was burned several times. Even if you don’t get burned you will feel a burning sensation for few hours so I always put ointment for burns to prevent infections. My armpits feel very sore for a couple of days after each session. But in the end it’s worth each penny.
Mabsy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
All this talk of potential burns has made me realise that I need to reschedule the appointment. I had it scheduled first thing in the morning and I have a number of public speeches that day and the following day. I might just move this to right after Laughing

Thanks for all your help everyone!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:01 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, rescheduling sounds like a good idea.

That time I got burnt on the bikini line, after being *barbecued* I had to go straight to the airport to catch a 4 hr flight. It was NOT fun being stuck in economy class in tight jeans, unable to move, all the while feeling like someone is applying a blow torch down there....

I would recommend wearing clothes that are not too tight Very Happy
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:50 am      Reply with quote
might want to have a tube of calendula baby cream (welda makes it) on hand..this sounds painful, the cream might help sooth your skin.
Mabsy

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Ooo! Great idea Melissa! Actually, I think this might be another opportunity to use Weleda Skin Food (used it for sunburn earlier this year and it saved my skin!). Not that I am wanting to get burns of course... but just in case Smile
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Also aloe vera is good for burns.
Mabsy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:39 am      Reply with quote
OMG!

OUCHY!!!!!!

Well, maybe it wasn't so bad because it was quite quick (had both areas done in under 10 minutes) but geez does this thing hurt! There are some areas where you don't feel anything AT ALL because the hair is quite fine and sparse, and other areas KILL! Luckily, it's literally a split second and then it doesn't hurt anymore. So, by the time I was getting dressed there was no pain at all and I have gone through the whole day now without any discomfort.

I'm happy to report that I've had no burns at all. I only noticed tiny bleeding around a few follicles (like a minor shaving cut). I have another session in 7 weeks.

Thank you for all your advice everyone
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
OMG!

OUCHY!!!!!!

So did you squirm while they were doing it? Gasp out loud? Or were your eyes just going ?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
What? You had to get undressed??? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes What does it look like now? Any redness or anything? Why you need another session? Touch up or catch those escaped ones!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |