Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Expense limit on skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 am      Reply with quote
a good rule of thumb; I try to not let my skincare products and beauty regimen cost more than my monthly house payment. Laughing
moonstone
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote
I don't really have a limit when it comes to skincare... But if I want to purchase sometimes that's really expensive , I will read as many reviews as possible and try to get some samples before spending a fortune on it!
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Justify?.... Question

Laughing This is how it works for me.

1. Reads review on EDS
2. Tries to convince self that product is not required and indeed is too expensive (this works a little longer these days because I now have a mortgage)
3. Someone else posts a followup about how great the product is
4. Mortgage issues are forgotten. Eyes semi-close so as to not witness what is about to happen.
5. Hits "buy", shortly followed by "checkout" and "confirm".
6. Credit card statement arrives (hopefully AFTER the item already arrived)
7. Justification occurs automatically if product was good
8. Steps 1-7 are repressed from memory if product was bad.

Voila!

Laughing Laughing
it is so true!!
i spend 20 minutes at superstore to pick a good deal toothpaste,and spent $100 for a 15ml eye cream without blinking eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I am in denial so I don't have a real budget for skincare products. But anything over $50 sounds kinda crazy to me, but it seems most everything is over $50 for skincare. Laughing So I read and read and read reviews to make sure I can justify the expense, but as in most cases, sometimes I feel let down and then the products just sit there collecting dust on my counter. I will then throw them away after 3 years have passed. lol Funny thing is if I buy a drugstore brand and I don't like it, I can take it back, but the expensive brands I buy online, I don't know if I can return them. Right now, I am very interested to try the Pro-X line from Olay and I feel a bit more confident that if it doesn't work in 28 days as claimed, I can return it and get a full refund.
yy3506
5% products discount

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
In generally I buy products below RMB2000.00.
Bree22
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:16 am      Reply with quote
This is a tough one but I would say putting a budget normally makes me spend more. In the end, I stop having a budget and wait for the best deal then just buy.

Shock
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
No budget for myself either....if I can afford it and after research there's a really good chance it will work, I'll buy it.

Like an earlier post stated, it's an investment in our future.....you simply cannot put a price on feeling good about yourself years down the road and of course how you feel about "you" along the journey...

I'm in a good spot as of right now...I have products I am using (after several months of trial and error) that I am happy with and will keep using them until I think I need a change. But, it's getting to that point that costs a bundle!! ha ha....Now if something comes a long that seems to work really well and I think it will suit my needs, I just need to tweak my routine or drop something to incorporate it....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I think my limit depends on the type of product. I splurged on the Clarisonic, but it was a great investment. I will usually spend more for serums and creams, but not as much for face wash.
lilyofthevalley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 am      Reply with quote
to me, for skincare products, I normally spend more money on eye cream, and face serum. For cleansers, I just use some inexpensive ones.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I spend the most money on anti-acne products.

I agree with a previous post on the importance of samples for high end products. What is most important to me is if IT WORKS. I won't waste money on skin care unless I at least know it won't break me out. Samples are crucial for easily irritated skin. If a company believes in their product enough to let me test it and it works (doesn't break me out, clears my skin, has anti-aging properties that reduces fine lines, makes my skin glow), then I'll buy it.

Its over what I'd like to spend, but I keep buying DDF 10% Glycolic 2% Salycilic Acid Gel because it works for acne and aging.
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Butterflyrainbow: Have you tried LED blue lights for your acne. I use the LightStim brand lights and and so does my 19yr old son and we both have had remarkable success. It is expensive but will save money in the long run.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
As time goes on and I have become educated as a skincare consumer my choices of spending have changed considerably.
#1 - I want quality.
#2 - I want something that will kick a$$ at a great price.
#3 - I know I can have both of these.

Do not go in for the hype of the newest product. First of all some things stand the test of time and some do not.

Many companies have a huge overhead and you are parying for it. Buyer beware of that. Quality may be good - but a high price tag is usually not necessary.

I make my own C serums - used to use skinactives C&E ferulic and loved it. My own is just as good.

I get my retin A from ADC - for less than $4.00 a container. (a prscription is at least 10X that - actually more).

Other items are available on EBAY or with your 20% discount on EDS. Every once in a while a splurge is worth it.
I do this with Karin Herzog products and NCN pumpkin peel. And there are deals out there that crop up on some great products every now and then. Subscribe to websites and they will let you know about their deals on products you like.

Other ideas Use the - not huge comglomerates and hook up to some great products:

On-line:

Cellbone has terrific products - highly recommend.
Skinactives is another on-line source - great products without the high prices.

Remember big companies = big overhead = big prices to cover the CEO's salary Laughing But seriously. Think about it....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Louise Clemson wrote:
Limit? What limit?
I'll happily go without new clothes, a trip to the hairdressers regularly anything actually but my skincare, I love the excitement of getting a parcel of new things to try!! I've been the same since I was young. If I find a product and it works then I'll buy it.

This is exactly me.
There is no such limit in place on skincare
tckmtracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:54 am      Reply with quote
For me, I don't mind to buy expensive skincares but not for body or hair.
I have bought GUERLAIN luxury cream which cost more than US$300..........but I don't think it is good, HAHA.
But I also bought a mask which costs less than US$2. I think the most important is the effectiveness of the skincares but not the price.
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a skincare junkie..that about says it all.
dionnac1
5% products discount

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
As time goes on and I have become educated as a skincare consumer my choices of spending have changed considerably.
#1 - I want quality.
#2 - I want something that will kick a$$ at a great price.
#3 - I know I can have both of these.

Do not go in for the hype of the newest product. First of all some things stand the test of time and some do not.

Many companies have a huge overhead and you are parying for it. Buyer beware of that. Quality may be good - but a high price tag is usually not necessary.

I make my own C serums - used to use skinactives C&E ferulic and loved it. My own is just as good.

I get my retin A from ADC - for less than $4.00 a container. (a prscription is at least 10X that - actually more).

Other items are available on EBAY or with your 20% discount on EDS. Every once in a while a splurge is worth it.
I do this with Karin Herzog products and NCN pumpkin peel. And there are deals out there that crop up on some great products every now and then. Subscribe to websites and they will let you know about their deals on products you like.

Other ideas Use the - not huge comglomerates and hook up to some great products:

On-line:

Cellbone has terrific products - highly recommend.
Skinactives is another on-line source - great products without the high prices.

Remember big companies = big overhead = big prices to cover the CEO's salary Laughing But seriously. Think about it....

What is ADC? I would love to be able to purchase Retin A for less.
Tina89
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
my skin type is oily, and always have acne Crying or Very sad ,so if someone says there is some product which is effective to the acne,I'll buy it! so far,I've spent a lot of money on it ,but there is no obviously effect.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Do you have medical benefits?
kelly_un
5% products discount

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I don't spend over $80 on any one product.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 am      Reply with quote
milbader: thanks for the LED suggestion. I have been looking at EDS threads about it. That might be my big splurge!
dionnac1
5% products discount

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
As long as I can pay my bills, then the amount I can spend is whatever I have left over (or if I have room on my credit card). Razz
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Inspired by Kassy, I've begun to mix up my own toner, eye serum, and Vit C, E + Ferulic. Over time I expect this to save me (really mean DH Rolling Eyes ) quite a bit since I was using the L'Occitane Immortalle line of products.
tckmtracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I don't really have a price limit when buying skincare. The most important is the effectiveness. However, when I tried a lot of skincares (cheap [US$2/100ml cleansing mask] or expensive [US$300 anti aging cream]), the price is not related to the effectiveness. So I would like to read a lot of review from different beauty forum before buying skincares.........

However, I have a bad habit....... I will addict to a brand if I interest in and buy a lot of its product..................
sab
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Ah ha.... sometimes it's hard to determine the limit. The bottomline is don't buy on impulse, do some research about the product (read reviews, ask for samples... etc.), and understand your skin condition. Also, reminding yourself how many items are sitting on the shelf.... Laughing so that you won't buy anything that is not useful at all.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:51 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
a good rule of thumb; I try to not let my skincare products and beauty regimen cost more than my monthly house payment. Laughing

Laughing I could not agree more with you. I try to limit the expense to fit my budget and always shop around for the lowest price.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |