Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Am I getting adequate sun protection?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm wondering if I'm protecting myself adequately from the sun, and don't yet know enough about sunscreen to answer that for myself.

I use Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 in the morning -- started using this instead of the moisturizer/sunblock combo that was making my skin so damn greasy and shiny.

I am happy with the way it looks and feels. But am I getting enough sun protection? Relevant: I am an (almost nightly) Retin A user, .1 percent. So I know I need to be careful. That said, however, I have an office job and barely get outdoors at all, and when I do it's typical after 6 pm.

------
Product Details:

"With an exclusive Total Soy Complex and Natural Light Diffusers, this daily moisturizer helps to naturally even out skin tone and immediately reflect light to bring out skin's natural radiance. This light, fast-absorbing moisturizer is clinically proven to even out skin tone, improve skin texture, and leave skin soft and smooth. It's gentle enough to use every day and even good for sensitive skin.

Additional Product Benefits Include: SPF 15 UVA/UVB sunscreen, oil-free, hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic"

http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=3695
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Glad you brought this question up because I've been questioning this for a while myself. I use over the counter face moisturizers such as Olay's Regenerist, used to use Aveeno and they typically have SPF 15, was thinking if I should upgrade to 30 or so.

I myself work in the office and the only time my skin seens the sun is on my drive to work and on my way home, on the weekends it may see a bit more than that.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
My personal thought is the higher the better. I think the spf rating you use would be based on your skin type, how easily you burn, where you are located, and how often/long you are out in the sun. I use Juice Beauty spf 30 on my face every day, and Banana Boat 45 on my body if I'm going to be outside for longer than a half hour.
A lot of people I know think I am sun lotion crazy, but I figure it's better safe than sorry.
As far as the greasy lotions, there are many different brands that don't make you look greasy. if you have a Sephora or Ulta near you, they have testers that you can try a bit on your face and see if you like them or not.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:11 am      Reply with quote
jlrobeztek

I was eyeing the moisturizers from Juice Beauty yesterday since I ordered the antioxidant serum and the Green Apple peel, how do you like it? Is it pretty light?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Janis--i would say spf 15 is not enough and as a retin A user, you should definitely go much higher. at least spf 30, and even better is anything higher. the reason a higher number is better is because though spf 30 blocks a few percentages above 15, the few percentages mean a lot, especially in the long run.

in addition, the spf 15 that you're using is in a moisturizer, and studies have shown that people don't apply enough moisturizer to get the full protection of the labeled spf. (same with foundation makeup containing spf). i am not an expert, but i have been reading a lot regarding sunscreens, and i think you should look for a sunscreen that is separate from your moisturizer. you get better protection that way. in addition, you should look for a physical sunscreen such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide since chemicals sunscreen protect by absorbing rather than reflecting light as i think that could somehow affect your skin since you're using retin a. in addition, i don't believe aveeno uses any physical ingredients in their sunscreen, only chemical. correct me if i am wrong.

there's a lot of information on this page: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ#uva &
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
jlrobeztek

I was eyeing the moisturizers from Juice Beauty yesterday since I ordered the antioxidant serum and the Green Apple peel, how do you like it? Is it pretty light?

I use this product and love it. It is light, it sinks in very quickly. I think it might make someone with oily or combination skin a bit shiny though.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:21 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Janis--i would say spf 15 is not enough and as a retin A user, you should definitely go much higher.

Thanks for the tips, although I can't say I'm happy to hear that. I really like this Aveeno moisturizer and despite trying multiple brands of sunscreen, including Shishiedo, I can't seem to find the right one for my skin -- I'm basically looking for one that's invisible and has no effect on the skin, and I'm not even sure it exists. It's definitely taking me some time to get used to the daily sunblock thing...it's only been about a year and it still feels unnatural to me. I know it's important, so I guess I'll just suck it up.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Janis

I'll tell you this because you say you haven't looked at sunscreens yet. Sorry if you know this already.

You need to look at both the SPF (UVB protection) and the PPD (stands for Persistant Pigment Darkening - UVA protection). UVA is said to be more responsible for aging.

You'll see from the MUA notepad link that they all have estimated PPDs. Basically, unless they have extremely high PPDs the brands are advertised very vaguely as 'full spectrum', but how full is full?

Most lighter and aesthetically pleasing sunscreens are physical are usually only around 8PPD. The high PPD sunscreens (such as La Roche Posay or Avene) are currently mostly only sold in Europe and Asia. These use Mexoryl or Tinosorb and have PPDs of 20 upwards, but they're sticky.

I'd say if you're using Retin A daily you'd need much better protection than a moisturiser with SPF, but it's really hard to find something you like.

HTH M
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Skincareaddict,

I don't recall exactly where, but I either read or heard that one can use too much moisturizer and the misconception is that the more you put on the more protection you get from the sun.

In any case, I need to at least start using one with SPF 30. A lot of drug store brands are usually just SPF 15 though.

Can any recommend a good one that won't break the bank that's also light, the one I'm using now seems a bit heavy for the summer.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Janis--one that feels invisble? i would have to say that you would have to go for a japanese sunscreen then. they are light, milky and really quite invisible when applied. they are, however, kinda hard to get a hold of.

i like a few brands and i get them off ebay or asian online shops. myself and a few other ladies here reviewed some here http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13598&highlight=sofina+perfect . it's mostly for sofina, but there's mention of kanebo and also a sunkiller review at the end. i would have to say the sunkiller sunscreen clearwater was the best invisble feeling sunscreen. it was literally like i wasn't wearing anything. getting a hold of sunkiller is a big ass pain though, but worth it cause it's pretty cheap ($10 for 27 mL) for the quality, it uses zinc oxide as the main ingredient.

another great alternative would be clarins uv plus sold at clarins cosmetic counters and i have seen some on ebay also, and a bunch of online sites. it is kinda pricey, i believe about $40 for a small bottle. you can probably get a better price online. clarins is very comparable to the invisible japanese formulations i adore.

Molly makes a good point with the PPD rating. and since you're using retin-A, you should especially pay attention to that rating. from what i understand european sunscreens have much higher PPD ratings, but the downside is that the euros tend to be heavier and greasier.

my recommendation are japanese sunscreens, and the ones listed on the sunscreen notepad are physical sunscreens with higher PPDs, like DHC, Fancl, and Shiseido's mild sunscreen. i have not tried the DHC one, nor the Fancl one, and have the Shiseido Mild Sunscreen which i thought was a bit greasier than i like, but definitely a lightweight when compared with euros and especially american brands.

Janis, yes it is disappointing when a product isn't as good as it feels! but i am glad you're taking making sun protection a better habit. sunscreen application was such a pain for me at the start too. i remember skipping so many days, but now i actually enjoy the ritual of it Smile

ariesxtreme--you're correct about the misconception many have that say, applying 2 layers of an spf 15 would add up to spf 30. that would never happen. what i was thinking of is when people don't apply enough of say an spf 15 moisturizer, so their protection is actually less than spf 15.

and yeah, the drugstore sunscreens really suck in terms of offering high protection and quality. i was at walgreens today looking for a sunscreen for my body with a high spf which uses physical sunscreens like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, and out of all the brands they carried, there was only ONE that used a physical sunscreen only and that was neutrogena for sensitive skin. everything else was either a chemical sunscreen or a blend. i am worried about the sunscreens i have now, and wonder if they are a blend or a pure physical sunscreen--the ingredients are in chinese and japanese so i don't know.

ariesxtreme, for something lighter, you should also try the ones i recommend above. they are awesome.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Skincareaddicted,

give me one specific one that's a moisturizer with an spf of at least 15 that's japanese. This way I can just look it up. I was a little confused on your explanation of the japanese sunscreens. Is that just a sunscreen and not a moisturizer, therefore I'd have to apply it separately.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme--unfortunately, all the ones i listed and currently use myself are sunscreens and you would have to apply a separate moisturizer. i prefer the two step because i think you get more protection that way.

i did a little search for moisturizers with higher spfs, and came up with DDF with spf 30 (i don't think they're japanese, correct me if i am wrong) http://neobeauty-com.stores.yahoo.net/ddfmafiphprs.html and shiseido elixir with spf 25 http://neobeauty-com.stores.yahoo.net/shellidaprsp.html . i have used neither product, but have used shiseido's other lines in the past, and have only heard about DDF from other people. i am sure there should be reviews on makeupalley if you're interested. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
If you're using retin a, you need a sunscreen with an spf of at least 30. Now that the LaR-Posay Anthelios is available in the U.S., I'd recommend you try that. You won't find anything better on the market!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
If you're using retin a, you need a sunscreen with an spf of at least 30. Now that the LaR-Posay Anthelios is available in the U.S., I'd recommend you try that. You won't find anything better on the market!

or greasier Sad
Grace_K
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I use also RetinA and never go out under SPF 25.
And the reason is written above: most of the people (incl. me Smile )don't use enough moisturizer/sunscreen to get the indicated SPF.

I use EUCERIN, grease-free, but probably not available in USA... Question
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Awwwww the lait isn't THAT greasy Razz
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips everyone...

To be honest with you all, I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg on some foreign sunscreen. I want to find something at a drug store that is not going to make my face shine like a diamond all day. I like the Aveeno product because it's cheap and moisturizing without being greasy. It makes my skin soft but not slick.

Someone above mentioned Neutrogena, and I've tried their sunscreens before but again find them a little greasy -- not excessively so but I'm still looking for something better.

Anyone got any ideas?
Grace_K
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I googled for you: Aveeno has Suncare with SPF 30 Arrow AVEENO® CONTINUOUS PROTECTION™ Sunblock Lotion for the FACE with SPF 30

Grease-free.
Do you have tested it yet?
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
ariesxtreme--unfortunately, all the ones i listed and currently use myself are sunscreens and you would have to apply a separate moisturizer. i prefer the two step because i think you get more protection that way.

i did a little search for moisturizers with higher spfs, and came up with DDF with spf 30 (i don't think they're japanese, correct me if i am wrong) http://neobeauty-com.stores.yahoo.net/ddfmafiphprs.html and shiseido elixir with spf 25 http://neobeauty-com.stores.yahoo.net/shellidaprsp.html . i have used neither product, but have used shiseido's other lines in the past, and have only heard about DDF from other people. i am sure there should be reviews on makeupalley if you're interested. HTH

I may start using the two step process. What sunscreen and moisturizer do you use? I was wondering if I can just skip on actual moisturizer and use rosehip oil combined with jojoba oil and then put a sunscreen on.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme,

Sorry it took so long to post a response. I've been crazy busy lately.

I like the Juice Beauty sunscreen a lot. I know some people have had a problem with breakouts, but I haven't. The tint is light, and doesn't show up on my skin at all. When I reorder, I'll get the sheer. The sunscreen did go on a bit greasy the first time I used it. I think I used too much. The second time I used one pump from the bottle, and it still looked greasy at first, but then it sank into my skin in about 10 minutes. I've used it every weekend since I got it, and haven't gotten burned. I'm in the sun from morning to night on the weekends. Of course I reapplied a couple of times during the day, especially after swimming.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
jlrobatzek wrote:
ariesxtreme,

Sorry it took so long to post a response. I've been crazy busy lately.

I like the Juice Beauty sunscreen a lot. I know some people have had a problem with breakouts, but I haven't. The tint is light, and doesn't show up on my skin at all. When I reorder, I'll get the sheer. The sunscreen did go on a bit greasy the first time I used it. I think I used too much. The second time I used one pump from the bottle, and it still looked greasy at first, but then it sank into my skin in about 10 minutes. I've used it every weekend since I got it, and haven't gotten burned. I'm in the sun from morning to night on the weekends. Of course I reapplied a couple of times during the day, especially after swimming.

That's okay, I know ppl have lives outside of this forum, I just use this to pass time while I'm at work so I'm here 40 hrs/week Laughing

Anyhow, on the Juice Beauty moisturizer, I'm wondering how the protection is against the UVB/UVA rays and if it's physical or chemical. I've learned so much from the forum lately that I might invest in the Sofina sunscreen and use a separate moisturizer.
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
if my makeup has spf 20 in it is that enough? i spend a lot of teh day driving... and it is always sunny here!!!!
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
or just a thought....

should i wear moisturiser with spf 15 PLUS my foundation with spf 20 does taht equal 35???

is it a cumulative effect?

prob not - but thought i'd ask!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:40 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme--you found me in the sunscreen topic, so you know what i use--sofina, sunkiller, kanebo and omi sunbears sunscreens. a nice moisturizer under sunscreen is arouge silkening gel. i like that line a lot.

bella77-- i think you should at least be using an spf 30, spf 50 is a lot better. the difference between 30 and 50 is a few percentages but the cumulative effect is huge. and no, spf numbers don't function like math (i used to think it did too Smile ) by combining your foundation and moisturizer, you can actually be getting less protection than 15 or 20. depending on what kind of uv filters your products have, they degrade one another. i think that is correct. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I thought I knew all about sunscreens. This 'degrade' thing has me concerned. If I wear a physical sunblock (spf 55) & add a tinted moisturizer on top that happens to be avobenzone (spf18), am I somehow degrading my protective sunblock? How is it that I missed that? thanks Confused
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |