Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oils for the face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Silkia Camellia Oil for a couple of months and I love it. I purchased it after I read several testimonies of it healing pitted acne scars. It made my complexion "prettier" and I even started getting compliments right after I began using it. It also made my blackheads pop out like crazy. Now I'm hearing about Rose Hip Oil and several others. What results have you had with the various oils you've tried and which one do you like the best?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a certified Aromatherapist so could talk about oils all day without tiring but of course I do have my favourites...

I absolutely love Rose Hip Oil. It's so veratile in that it helps a multitude of skin conditions and types. It works to heal the skin in so many ways and greatly helped me at a time when I had acne by lightening and reducing scarring and by improving the overall health of my skin. I also recommended it to my mom to help her with wrinkles and age spots and it worked wonders on her as well. I also love using it as a base oil for facial preparations to mix essential oils depending on my moods and needs. For example, I mix it with Rose Oil, Jasmine or Lavender etc. to create the blend I want. It's one of the best facial oils I've used.

The other oil I adore and think is a must have in your oil collection is Jojoba oil. Great at balancing skin oils and giving that healthy glow. Also a fantastic base oil for making your own personal blends or perfumes.

Another fantastic and effective oil is Evening Primrose Oil. It, like Rose Hip Oil, is high in essential fatty acids and helps to nourish and restore skin while protecting it with its high antioxidant characteristics. Using this in conjunction with Rosehip is fabulous for sensitive, dry or mature skin.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Wildflower,

Could you suggest one (or a couple Wink face oils for me? I have oily, acne prone skin, althought I do not have active acne at the moment. I just started using tazorac and my face is a bit sensitive at the moment.

Liz
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Wildflower. Are there any oils that are bad for acne prone skin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested in hearing what oils wildflower suggests for acne prone skin, and what she thinks we should avoid!^-^

In the meantime, I'm in the middle of conducting a little experiment of my own. I've got jojoba, camellia, decleor ylang ylang, decleor iris, Burt's Bees Face oil, DHC Olive Oil, PSF Balancing Oil, and Dr. H Normalizing Oil. I'm giving each of them a week, and during that week I'm taking notes on skin texture, oil control, clogged pores, hydrating, etc etc. I've got a few more weeks to go, but when I'm done I'll post my findings in detail!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to bump this so that wildflower would see it.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
I love lavender and ylang ylang,and so many more.Can you suggest a retailer ? What do you think of Aura Cacia? Young Living Oils?
And I have fallen in love also with Emu Oil which I use with hylaronic acid.What is your opinion of those?
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
:)skin care addict
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, don't I feel special now? LOL Wink I will try to help all of you out. Here are a list of popular skin care oils for body, face and hair. Hope this helps all of you out...

Almond Oil: Rich in minerals, vitamins and proteins. Excellent as a body oil and for massage. Recommended for dry, sensitive, rough and irritated skin. One of the most useful and versatile base oils.

Apricot Oil: Recommended for aging and mature skin as well as sensitive and inflamed skin conditions as it helps soothe, nourish and restore.

Avocado Oil: High in vitamin E, beta carotene, and protein. Helps soothe irritated skin conditions such as eczema and helps promote regeneration of new skin so works well with scarred, and chapped skin. Because of its unsaturated fatty acids it works as a light ultraviolet filter as well. Recommended for dry, dull and dehydrated skin. Great hair treatment too.

Calendula Oil: Calendula is an excellent healing oil for dry, chapped, scaly or irritated skin. Helps control eczema, psoriasis and rashes by soothing and preventing future breakouts. Can be used all over the entire body. Ideal for babies as it is gentle and soothing (especially for nappy rashes).

Camellia Oil: Great for sensitive and irritated skin as it contains soothing and healing properties. Excellent for skin prone to rosacea and redness. Also recommended for dry, chapped skin or rough skin as it restores nourishment and skin elasticity.

Coconut Oil: Excellent hair and body oil. Works great as an after sun oil to help soothe skin. Great for massages and hair masks and to blend your own perfume. Not recommended for facial skin as it leaves face too oily.

Evening Primrose: One of my favourite facial oils. Rich in vitamins, minerals, GLA content and antioxidants. Excellent for a wide variety of skin conditions especially sensitive and highly sensitive skin conditions, and irritated skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis or rosacea. Perfect for dry, chapped, mature and aging skin as it is highly soothing and nourishing, and helps with skin regeneration and elasticity.

Grapeseed Oil: A popular massage oil as it penetrates easily although it does cause staining (of sheets) and tends to go rancid quickly. Works well as a base oil for blends with essential oils or with other carrier oils . Recommended for dry and mature skin.

Hazelnut/Macadamia Oil: These nutty oils maintain basically the same properties. Excellent for sun protection and for homemade sunscreens. Work well with dry and mature skin. Make great hair treatment masks as they are very nourishing and smell great.

Jojoba Oil: Another versatile carrier oil which is actually a wax. Rich in proteins and minerals and highly penetrative. Contains myrisitic acid which helps with inflammation. Jojoba resembles the skin's own sebum so helps control oil production while being moisturizing as well which makes it a great balancing oil. Great for oily and acne prone skin. Excellent for both body, hair and facial care.

Olive Oil: Excellent for hair treatments due to its highly nourishing qualities. Rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins and fatty acids. Recommended for dry and dehydrated skin. Works well to prevent stretch marks and can also be used as a natural sunscreen.

Pomegranate Oil: This oil is new to me but the skin care line I use (Primavera) contains it in the line. Very high in antioxidants so it helps heal and soothe skin. Very nourishing and restorative. Recommended for aging and mature skin. The most expensive of the base oils and one of the most difficult to find.

Rosehip Oil: Another huge favourite of mine. Rich in vitamin A and minerals. Very high in linoeic and gammalinolenic acids. Excellent facial oil for all skin types as it promotes skin regeneration and restructuring. Great for mature and aging skin as it helps cell damage and renewal. Wonderful for sensitive skin and irritated skin conditions such as rosacea as it helps soothe irritation and redness, reduces inflammation, helps heal broken capillaries and nourishes dry, chapped skin. Also works wonders in lightening and preventing scars and stretchmarks. This is my "miracle" oil.

Sesame Oil: Rich in GLAs, this is a very nourishing oil and balancing oil. Recommended for acne prone and very oily skin as well as extremely dry and dehydrated skin.

Now on to my favourite lines...

I have searched and searched for years to find my favourite essential oil supplier and have finally found a few that I always recommend. I use only certified organic, biodynamic, wildcrafted and ethically cultivated oils that are grown in the best environments possible. In fact I've become quite the aromatherapy snob which I've been told happens to all professional aromatherapists. LOL Wink

My favourite base and essential oil supplier would have to be Primavera (German line). They have one of the most complete and superior lines I have ever found and their environmental practices and company philosophies are humbling and inspiring. To find out where to buy check out their site: http://www.primaveralife.com/ I rave about them all the time and can't recommend them enough.

My other favourite essential oil distributor, who I've used ever since becoming a professional aromatherapist, is Acqua Vita. http://www.acqua-vita.com/ They are a small Canadian company in my hometown of Toronto that deal directly with farmers and distillers around the world. They may not have the most elaborate line of oils but what they do have is of excellent quality. They do however, have the best line of hydrosols I've ever found and the owner, Suzanne Catty is the author of an excellent book called Hydrosols which outlines the therapeutic values and uses of hydrosols/floral waters for those who want to delve into aromatherapy a little more deeply.

Another great line which I've used in the past is The Aromatherapist, another German line. They have a good selection of carrier and essential oils.

As for skin care addicts questions about Aura Cacia and Young Oils I would have to say not so great IMO. Aura Cacia was one of the companies that first introduced me to aromatherapy as they are a highly commercial line. Because they focus on marketing and getting their line in so many health food stores and retailers, I find their quality lacking. They seem to focus on quantity rather than quality. I've noticed that they have in recent years also come out with an "organic" line but I kind of question the authenticity of it. I found that their oils were not the purest and may be stretched with lesser quality oils or other types of oils (for ex Lavender mixed with Spiked Lavender or Lavendin) to make the oils cheaper and more affordable to the public. As for Young Living, I know how popular they are in the US. Although his philosophies and practices are admirable I have a problem with plants/oils being harvested in one specific environment as I find that the best quality oils come from so many specific parts of the world where soils, climate, altitude, environmental patterns etc. are taken into consideration to produce the best, most supreme oil you can find, hence my preference to companies who source oils from various geographical areas.

I know this one was lengthy and boy did it take me some time to write, but hopefully I've helped all of you out.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi wildflower,

Thanks for you detailed description. What do you think about argan oil?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
WOW! I am extremely grateful for your time, wildflower.

5% products discount

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, wildflower!
Does anyone know anything about squanlene oil? My friend is using it, right now. She said it's good and she can even put it around her eyes.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much Wildflower!!! I appriciate you taking the time to give us so much information. Now I am off to find some oils to experiment with!!

liz
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Wonderful!!! Thank you so much.I will be checking out those sites. You didn't say anything about the Emu Oil.????
Thanks again
skincare addict Very Happy
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
To add to the avalanche of questions to wildflower...I have read that Rosehip oil goes rancid quickly, what are your suggestions for proper storage and shelf life, and do you know if it is safe to use during pregnancy?

Thanks for your time! Smile

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Wow so many more questions!! What have I gotten myself into? LOL Just kidding. Love to help.

Mocha
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about squanlene oil? My friend is using it, right now. She said it's good and she can even put it around her eyes.

Do you mean squalene or squalane? I know nothing about it. I've only studied plant based oils. But here is a link that may help.

http://www.portalmarket.com/shark.html

mtview
Quote:
Hi wildflower,

Thanks for you detailed description. What do you think about argan oil?

Sorry can't say I know anything about Argan oil either but here is a link I found for that too:

http://www.lyndhurstnaturals.com/Argan_Oil.aspx

skin care addict
Quote:
Wonderful!!! Thank you so much.I will be checking out those sites. You didn't say anything about the Emu Oil.????
Thanks again

Sorry forgot to mention that one. Emu oil is fast gaining popularity due to its healing and nourishing properties. Personally I can't understand what the craze is about. There's been a lot of marketing hype about it though. It too is high in essential fatty acids and works well with sensitive skin and irritated skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, rashes etc as well as mature or aging skin. I don't have any personal experience with this oil and know more about it as a dietary supplement than for its cosmetic uses. I prefer using plant based oils myself that have the same properties plus added benefits such as rosehip oil or evening primrose.

Vonstella
Quote:
To add to the avalanche of questions to wildflower...I have read that Rosehip oil goes rancid quickly, what are your suggestions for proper storage and shelf life, and do you know if it is safe to use during pregnancy?

Thanks for your time!

Rosehip Oil like all natural oils will go rancid with time but should last you at least a year with proper care, sometimes even 2. You'll first begin to see a change in colour where it will change from it's pretty orangey red colour to more of a yellowish orange one as well as an "offish" rancid smell. Luckily rosehip oil is not usually retailed in large bottles so it should not go bad quickly as the bottle can be used up pretty fast with regular use. Plus it's also expensive to buy in large quantities. If you are purchasing greater sizes than I suggest doing what I do and put it in a fridge or cold cellar to be kept cool and away from light. Make sure to keep the oil in preferably a glass amber or coloured bottle, away from light and humidity. Plastic containers make oils go bad more quickly and traces may seep into the oil itself. Yuck! And yes it can be used during pregnancy and in fact makes a great belly oil to help prevent stretchmarks.

Hmmm....maybe I should write that book I've been wanting to write for so long. LOL Any publishers out there in the forum? LOL Wink
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
i appreciate this thread very much! ive been thinking about switching from moisturizer creams to using just oils

can your skin O.D. off oils? i mean, would they be too rich to use every day as moisturizer? i have combo acne prone skin thats been really irritated lately. i am interested in evening primrose, rose hip and jojoba oils
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
I'm a certified Aromatherapist so could talk about oils all day without tiring but of course I do have my favourites...

I think you are going to have many new friends around here now your secret is out Laughing Laughing
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:44 am      Reply with quote
About Emu oil: I had some kind of reaction to it. After putting it on my face the first time I had a nervous, sick feeling, my face became pale and my eyes burned. I couldn't sleep that night. I thought I was just getting sick, I didn't realize it was the oil. The second night, right after I applied it the same thing happened. I will never use it on my face again, but I did apply it to my stretch marks on my stomach and it didn't affect me. I think it helped fade the stretch marks...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:22 am      Reply with quote
What is the best proportion to mix rosehip oil and evening primrose oil to get the most
benefits?
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
smqueen wrote:
i appreciate this thread very much! ive been thinking about switching from moisturizer creams to using just oils

can your skin O.D. off oils? i mean, would they be too rich to use every day as moisturizer? i have combo acne prone skin thats been really irritated lately. i am interested in evening primrose, rose hip and jojoba oils

As with everything, moderation is key. Slathering a bunch of oils or anything on your face in excess is never a good thing and will of course lead to oily skin, breakouts and congestion. Applying a bit of oil morning or night or just at night is enough. You never want to over do it. It's hard for me to give you a specialized or educated answer as I haven't seen your skin, nor do I know what has caused the irritation and what kind of irritation it is. In general for oily, acne prone skin that is also sensitive I would recommend the following: Jojoba oil in the morning and Rosehip oil every other night to help with scarring, new skin formation, and renewal. Stay away from harsh soaps and detergents and instead use cleansing milks and mild exfoliators daily. Also a daily steam with a face towel steeped in water with Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Tea Tree will really help as well.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:20 am      Reply with quote
jumpingball wrote:
What is the best proportion to mix rosehip oil and evening primrose oil to get the most
benefits?

I would add a drop of each to my palm and rub together before applying to my face. Both oils are quite potent and, believe me, a little goes a long way. If you are applying either of them to the body I would dilute them with Sweet Almond, Grapeseed or Jojoba as you will still get the benefits and results.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Have I thanked you yet? Very Happy
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
I hope seeing all this interest lets you know that the field you have chosen is going to be profitable and fun.
Live your passion.
Very Happy
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Wildflower, thank you for the fabulous information. I like face oils, but there are so many yummy ones that I think it is better to blend my own and use what I want.

Commercially I have tried:

- Camellia Oil (Epiderm and Silky-thingy-one. Preferred Epiderm).

- Osea Hydrating Oil (Nice, but not really hydrating enough in dry weather)

- L'Occitane Immortelle (I this stuff)

- Dr. H. Balancing Day Oil (Been using this 10 days and not liking it at all)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Rosehip Oil like all natural oils will go rancid with time but should last you at least a year with proper care, sometimes even 2. You'll first begin to see a change in colour where it will change from it's pretty orangey red colour to more of a yellowish orange one as well as an "offish" rancid smell. Luckily rosehip oil is not usually retailed in large bottles so it should not go bad quickly as the bottle can be used up pretty fast with regular use. Plus it's also expensive to buy in large quantities. If you are purchasing greater sizes than I suggest doing what I do and put it in a fridge or cold cellar to be kept cool and away from light. Make sure to keep the oil in preferably a glass amber or coloured bottle, away from light and humidity. Plastic containers make oils go bad more quickly and traces may seep into the oil itself. Yuck! And yes it can be used during pregnancy and in fact makes a great belly oil to help prevent stretchmarks.

Wildflower, thanks so much for the info, better than anything I found on the internet! Very Happy
Have a great day!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
You are all very welcome! Glad I could help.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |