Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is a great Clarifying Shampoo to get rid of residues?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Hilo :P

I've used Pantene since.. gosh, forever?! I love it, but I hear that it does leave residues in hair which bogs the hair down and make the hair harder to style and the curls don't last as long. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good clarifying shampoo to get rid of residues? Or any other methods? I hear Suave Clarifying shampoo is actually really good.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
John Master's Herbal Clarifier is exactly for that purpose and you only use it once a week after shampoo and before conditioner.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to try this link as there were a few replies posted here.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14173&highlight=clarifying+shampoo
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:04 am      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin wrote:
Hilo :P

I've used Pantene since.. gosh, forever?! I love it, but I hear that it does leave residues in hair which bogs the hair down and make the hair harder to style and the curls don't last as long. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good clarifying shampoo to get rid of residues? Or any other methods? I hear Suave Clarifying shampoo is actually really good.

Been awhile since I've used anything besides Ojon but before that I used Pantene. They make a nice clarifying shampoo.

5% products discount

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Good old Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo is nice, and cheap! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
A great and cheap clarifier is to take a glass full of baking soda in the shower with you. Wet your hair and massage it through. It will feel pretty gunky, but works great. Rinse it out, shampoo and condition as usual. Your hair will be super-clean and soft. I've never found a clarifying shampoo that works better!
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Just secondng Tosca's advice: I've used baking soda mixed with water as well (sometimes with a few drops of rosemary essential oil). It works beautifully. Another option is to rinse with apple cider vinegar. I have dark brown hair, and the cider vinegar leaves my hair glossy and seems to enhance the chestnut tones. One caveat, it does smell like, well, vinegar. Usually the smell disappears when the hair dries, but it can recur for a few days when the hair is wet.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Apple cider vinegar does work well - it leaves my hair a bit fluffy though.
elizasue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
ouidad's water works shampoo is great for removing chlorine, minerals, etc. The whole line is targeted for us curly girls, but I think this shampoo would work equally well for everyone. smells good, too Very Happy
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I use Neutrogena and its pretty decent.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
dermalogica is nice.
glee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Dermalogica or Neutrogena
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:27 am      Reply with quote
neutrogena is the best!!!
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Neutragena's anti-residue shampoo
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I second the baking soda and ACV, neither have stripped my hair, but did manage to make it really clean. The key with the ACV is to rinse, rinse, rinse. I use it after I have shampooed with Cream of Nature shampoo(my HG), then pour the ACV(about 1/2 cup) over my hair and massage it in and let it sit about 5 min. Then rinse really well and condition. Makes my hair look great and helps my scalp.
But as far as clarifying shampoo goes Im not a huge fan, they tend to strip out everything and leave the hair overly dry...having said that if you are going to use one I would try Neutrogena Clean I think its called, its pink and smells good and super cheap, I still wouldnt use one more than once a week. HTH!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I definitely support the ACV. It's cheap, easy to do, and most people have it in their house already. I also recommend to rinse, then once you think you are done rinsing, rinse again. I do this once a month, and it works great. (If I have a heavy styling day, I'll do it the next morning too.) You won't smell the ACV afer your shower if you rinse really good.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I'll try the AVC first since I have it around the house Very Happy question though, will it make my hair smell unpleasant? Think

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Resolve, from Joico, for many years. It works well. Since I do aquafitness twice a week, I needed a shampoo to remove the residues left by Phiné (used to protect my hair against chlorine), and my hairdresser recommended it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I'll try the AVC first since I have it around the house Very Happy question though, will it make my hair smell unpleasant? Think

It shouldnt if you do it before you shampoo(remember to massage it into the scalp and let it sit for about 5 min.)and RINSE, RINSE, RINSE. Your shampoo and cond. should cut the smell out completly. HTH!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Wein
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Lush's Sylvia Stout shampoo is a good choice. Its got real Stout in it to clean throughly!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I must be the odd (wo)man out because I do NOT rinse out my ACV. My hair doesn't smell vinegary after its dried -- maybe it's because I mix mine with a 1/4 cup of honey, as well....

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:06 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
maybe it's because I mix mine with a 1/4 cup of honey, as well....

What does honey do for your hair? hmm

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Does everyone use the ACV undiluted? And wouldn't the honey make your hair sticky? Or does the vinegar dilute it enough? What ratio of honey: ACV?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:25 am      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin wrote:
carekate wrote:
maybe it's because I mix mine with a 1/4 cup of honey, as well....

What does honey do for your hair? hmm
It’s a humectant that draws and retains moisture into the hair, as well as gives it shine and body.

Verdigris wrote:
Does everyone use the ACV undiluted? And wouldn't the honey make your hair sticky? Or does the vinegar dilute it enough? What ratio of honey: ACV?
1/4 cup of ACV and 1/4 cup honey to 1 quart of very warm water. Pour bucket of ACV/honey-water over your hair, DO NOT RINSE. Towel dry and style as usual. And, no, it doesn't make your hair sticky! It dissolves completely in the warm water so there is no sticky residue on your hair.

FYI - someone, I think it was Ariesxtreme, posted a bunch of recipes for various hair-shine rinses in the DIY thread yesterday: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=500

For those who don’t know, ACV is one of the greatest things you can use in your hair: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=8 especially if it’s color-treated: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7658&start=50

Personally, I mix ACV directly into my bottle of shampoo AND conditioner, as well as use it as a finishing rinse. I also mix honey into my jar of conditioner, as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
carekate, thank you so much for those measurements, I will be trying out the hair rinse this weekend. (Hope I have enough honey). My mother told me about using the ACV many years ago, but I've kind of forgotten about it. Good to try it though. Actually, adding the honey makes it mroe appealing to me!

And that homemade thread, I've been avoiding it because I've decided that's going to be my next project, making skincare, soaps, etc (I don't really have time at the moment) but too late.

Thank you again. I may resort to adding ACV and honey straight to the bottles as well. Sounds like a great idea.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |