Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help! I need a new HG moisturizer for my skin. Any ideas?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: What moisturizer should I use?

continue Clean & Clear Oil-free Morning Glow Moisturizer with SPF 15
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
try Dove® Deep Moisture Facial Lotion with SPF 15
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
try Dove® Energy Glow™ Brightening Moisturizer with SPF 15
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
try Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Something not mentioned (in this case, please elaborate)
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10

girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everybody! Since everyone seems so knowledgeable about pairing products with a skin type, I need your opinions . Anything would be helpful. **Please vote for which option you think would be best and explain to me why.**

I have been using Clean & Clear Oil-free Morning Glow Moisturizer with SPF 15 for about 2-3 or so years (used to be my HG). Its been great, but it seems that lately my skin has gotten used to it or something and needs something different. And since I am running out, I thought that it may be time to try something different. Being a student, I am pretty much limited to drugstore brands Embarassed .

I was at the store today and found Dove® Deep Moisture Facial Lotion with SPF 15 and Dove® Energy Glow™ Brightening Moisturizer with SPF 15. Both are moderatly priced so thats a plus. When I did a search on EDS forums, not much turned up, so any info on these would be lovely. Also, when I was searching here, I saw that Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30 was mentioned a few times. Again, any information would be great.

So what do you guys think? My skin is quite different. After washing with just water, it feels a bit tight so I rush to put on moisturizer after washing. However, It does tend to become a bit oily/ shiny at times (with and without moisturizer, depending on weather conditions). It is acne prone as well. I'm only reaching my 20's now, so I do not have maturing skin, I don't think. I need a daily face moisturizer that I can apply day and night.

Also, I am going on a 5 day 4 night vacation in two weeks. By this time, I will surely be out of the Clean & Clear. The question is, is it going to be ok if I switch moisturizers now, or is my skin going to freak out while I'm on vacation?

As you can tell, I like the added bonus of spf. My face (especially my forehead) burns easily, so it's great that I can get some extra protection in that area.

Thank you all so much for any info and your participation (with my first attempt at a poll, lol)!!! Very Happy

-Marianna
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:26 am      Reply with quote
Moisturizers hydrate your skin and if your skin is dehydrated it will produce more oil. It has nothing to do with whether you have maturing skin or not. I think you may want to look into some oil controlling moisturizers - I think Sothys has some nice ones - the Hydra emulsion. Or you can try Decleor's hydra-floral line - I have a sample of Decleor's emulsion and it feels light, smells great. You can also use some Jurlique silk dust over a light moisturizer to help you control oil during the day.

Or simplest yet - use an oil for both oil control and hydration - PSF, Dr.H, and Jurlique has one. You can also try Decleor's neroli or ylang ylang oil. All these should benefit your skin. Some EDSers use pure jojoba oil or rosehip oil so you may want to look into that also.

HTH
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:43 am      Reply with quote
I think "moisturizers" are over rated. I think that oils and serums are far superior.
I agree with sormuimui... I think you might like something from Decleor or one of the other lines she mentioned.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:43 am      Reply with quote
Emu oil and HA. Mix in your palm and apply. It takes time getting the right ratios for each persons skin, but it is really good stuff.

If you are veggie you could also use squalene or jojoba

hth, Liz Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:53 am      Reply with quote
girldelvov wrote:
. . . Being a student, I am pretty much limited to drugstore brands . . . After washing with just water, it feels a bit tight . . . It does tend to become a bit oily/ shiny at times . . . It is acne prone as well . . . I like the added bonus of spf . . .

I suggest that you try Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 (on front of bottle: "clinically proven to even out tone & texture; with total soy complex and natural light diffusers"; on back of bottle: "Oil-Free, Hypoallergenic, Noncomedogenic"). I have been using it, and it doesn't seem too oily nor does it seem to cause acne. It's probably comparable to the Clean & Clear Oil-Free Morning Glow Moisturizer with SPF 15 and the cost is reasonable.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
It looks like you're interested in using a moisturizer with an spf. A few weeks ago I started using Murad Energizing Pomengranate moisturizer, spf 15 and I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't make me oily, and moisturizes that parts that need moisturized. It also has nice scent! It's $25 here on EDS, not a bad price.

I was using Olay Complete spf 15 for combo skin before the Murad, and it's ok, but not nearly as moisturizing. It keeps the oilies away, but doesn't calm and dryness you might have.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui, Lucinda, and guapagirl, you guys know your oils! lol. I know that using an oil as a moisturizer could be fantastic, but I don't think I'm ready for that step yet, lol. I guess I'm just trying to find something premade and ready to use (in cream form). Some of the brands you guys mentioned (Decleor, Dr. H, and PSF) seem a bit too pricy for me at the moment. I know, I know, sometimes you have to pay more for better products. But I guess I'm just looking for the cheap way out Anxious .

Seeking~HG, the Aveeno sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that for sure.

violetanne, just the fact that the moisturizer has the word 'pomengranate' in it, it sounds great! lol.

EDIT: My face isn't very tightning/ dry when I wash it. It's just a little bit discomfortable. And it's not oily oily, just if I'm in a huge hurry and start to sweat, etc. that sort of thing. Sorry to have mislead anyone. Also, has anyone even tryed the Dove moisturizers??? If so, let me know what you think about them. Very Happy
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:38 am      Reply with quote
One good drugstore brand is La Roche Posay. It was recommended to me by my derm. All moisturizers seem to break out my combo, chin-acne-prone skin, except their Toleriane Fluid. It's a good light moisturizer that hydrates without contributing to more oilies. Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Squalane, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Carbomer, Ethylhexyloxy Glycerin/Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Capryl Glycol/Caprylyl Glycol.
Properties: Formulated with a high concentration of La Roche-Posay thermal spring water, Toleriane Fluide soothes the pulling, stinging and burning sensations specific to intolerant skin. Its light, mattifying texture is instantly absorbed by the skin and restores skin comfort. A strict formulation charter, with minimal number of components, to limit the risk of allergy. High tolerance tested under dermatological control. Non-comedogenic.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I like the Eucerin line for sunscreen. I may try the Decleor sunscreen.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Seeking~HG wrote:
girldelvov wrote:
. . . Being a student, I am pretty much limited to drugstore brands . . . After washing with just water, it feels a bit tight . . . It does tend to become a bit oily/ shiny at times . . . It is acne prone as well . . . I like the added bonus of spf . . .

I suggest that you try Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 (on front of bottle: "clinically proven to even out tone & texture; with total soy complex and natural light diffusers"; on back of bottle: "Oil-Free, Hypoallergenic, Noncomedogenic"). I have been using it, and it doesn't seem too oily nor does it seem to cause acne. It's probably comparable to the Clean & Clear Oil-Free Morning Glow Moisturizer with SPF 15 and the cost is reasonable.

Aveeno is coming out with a 30 spf sunscreen, I'm currently using the 15spf sunscreen from the sensitive Aveeno line.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Rufus wrote:
Aveeno is coming out with a 30 spf sunscreen, I'm currently using the 15spf sunscreen from the sensitive Aveeno line.

Yes, I saw it on drugstore.com. Thanks for the suggestion Very Happy ! How do you like the 15 spf?
Wait, sunscreen?
Or is it an everyday moisturizer? (Or does it double as both...???)

I am still, however, very curious about the Dove moisturizers... Rolling Eyes
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I have used some Dove moisturizers; they are adequate at best. I used Dove Sensitive Essentails for awhile, and though it did keep my face hydrated during the winter, it did not much else. I also used this one I think they still make, Day lotion spf 15 with green tea. I stopped using this after a while because it left my face with a sheen. So, I would suggest something else, as you're looking for something with an spf, and unless Dove changed up their formulas, it will probably be shiny.

Go for the Murad, I'm telling you! Laughing It's a great product for young skin, and it also seems to improve my tone!
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
Go for the Murad, I'm telling you! Laughing It's a great product for young skin, and it also seems to improve my tone!

I've come to the conclusion that my first EDS order will include the murad as well as the Blinc mascara. Until then, I'm still looking for a cheap moisturizer, lol. However, I have also come to the relization that I need to win a gift certificate to purchase these iteams if I would buy them now ( don't have that much money at the moment... Embarassed ).

Also, what do you guys think about switching moisturizers now before going on my trip? (I leave on the 12th and come back on the 16th of this month). Will my skin freak out? Just curious Very Happy .
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I second what guapagirl said. Emu oil plus hyaluronic acid mixed in your hand. It doesn't get any better than that. All the other creams on your list have ingredients such as detergents/emulsifiers that are bad for the skin barrier.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with the alternative vote too. You guessed it, emu/HA.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
girldelvov wrote:
Rufus wrote:

Yes, I saw it on drugstore.com. Thanks for the suggestion Very Happy ! How do you like the 15 spf?
Wait, sunscreen?

I like the 15 and can use it on my face cause I wear a hat, but would get a stronger sunscreen if I didn't. I've tried the Dove line and it's very nice but a bit more greasy.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
girldelvov wrote:
Rufus wrote:

Wait, sunscreen?

I forgot to say the 15 sunscreen doubles as both everyday moisturizer and sunscreen.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I've actually been looking for a very basic, non-irritating, non-pore clogging, light moisturizer for some time, and so when dollbird suggested La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluid I figured since she and I have similar acne issues it would probably be a good match for me too. Well, it was even better than I expected. I can't believe how great this stuff feels on my skin! And just like I hoped, it's not at all irritating and it hasn't clogged my pores at all. Thanks, dollbird!!!! Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
It's not a drugstore brand but I've been using Aloette Cellular Day Defense with SPF 15. This moisturizer helps my makeup go on easier and it makes my skin glow.
elizasue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I really agree with the other posters here who recommended oil - jojoba oil isn't expensive, and works well. Down side is that you would have to add sunscreen on top.
If you want a combo product, have you tried purpose? I used their moisturizer with SPF 15 for years, and it is lightweight and non comedogenic, with physical rather than chemical blocks. Downside for me was that I wanted a higher SPF. They do make an SPF 30 too, but it has more chemical screens in it so I was unable to use it. But if you can tolerate them, it may be a good bet for you.
HTH
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |