Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
La Bella Donna Mineral Foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
This product was mentioned in other posts, but it's so amazing, I want to give it it's own thread so I can rave about it!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

I agree with everything Barb said in the Skincare forum about this MMU. All the other brands I've tried really emphasized my pores, but not this one. I use Nicoletta in the pressed form, applied with a JI flocked sponge. Two thin coats with the sponge give me excellent coverage--the closest I've ever been to a flawless complexion. And yet it feels like I have nothing on my face!

The weird thing is, it looks pale and chalky when I first apply it. But a few minutes later, it has bonded with my moisturizer giving me a natural, dewy, even complexion. If I see any pores, I lightly run my fingers over them and they disappear!

And here's another weird thing: one application lasts all day, but if I get a bit shiny, I'll apply a bit more and my complexion looks even better than it did first thing in the morning!

(For more info and advice on how to purchase see Barb's post)
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1480)
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Alohagirl, thanks for the great review. Wow that's 2 people for this brand of MMU. Alohagirl, I'm not a pressed powder fan, how do you like the loose? So do you just use their powder as a foundation, or do you find that you have to use a separate concealer underneath? I'm definitely going to have to order samples because it's hard to tell what colors to get from their website. Anyone try the Karin Herzog powders?
Barb

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with your review. I was about ready to give up trying to find a mineral makeup that I really loved, until I tried this one. It really is different, not at all shiny or pore emphasizing--a flaw with other MMU's. I also agree with you on the coverage. I have the loose and the compressed and like both. The compressed is unlike any other type of compressed powder I've used. Your skin feels clean when you put it on, not like you're wearing a heavy powder. I can't say enough about these great products. I also really love the mineral eraser. As I said in my earlier post, I don't think the La Bella Donna brushes are anything special. I also use a flocked sponge and/or a foundation brush.

This product line is definitely worth a try.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Barb,
I was about to give up on mineral makeups too, until I discovered this one. The products are expensive, but worth every penny!

Thoughtcrime,
I like La Bella Donna's loose powder also, but it contains Bismuth which tends to make me shiny. And besides, the pressed powder is so much easier and cleaner to use. You don't have to worry about spilling it or getting powder on the front of your shirt and countertop, and it's so much more portable. Also, the pressed compact gives me such great results, I don't see any reason to change.

I use this as a concealer/foundation/powder all in one. It covers so well that I rarely feel the need for a separate concealer. For red patches (mild rosacea), I just apply an extra layer of the powder. For small scars or blemishes, I dot on a little of the powder with my finger or a small detail brush.

I think the key to success is to use a flocked sponge instead of a powder brush. (Not the flimsy little sponge that comes with the compact. I'm talking about the diamond-shaped, fuzzy sponge you can buy from most mineral sellers.) Another key is to apply one or two thin layers, then wait a few minutes for the coverage to develop and the color to blend with your skintone.

If they ever stop making this or change the formula, I will be absolutely devastated. I'm not exaggerating when I say that La Bella Donna's pressed minerals are the closest some of us will ever get to having perfect skin! (Now, if EDS would just start selling this line, my happiness would be complete!) Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Mabsy

Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Wow! Such glowing reviews, looks like I'm going to have to try it. And really.... with a name like "La Bella Donna" how could I resist! Mind you... $50!? Yikes!

And Surprised OMG! One of the shades of the foundation has my name written all over it (literally!). I've never had a foundation shade named after me! Well it's not really named after me but I can pretend... Very Happy Pity that particular one doesn't match my skin colour though Sad

Mabsy
babyfish
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy

And Surprised OMG! One of the shades of the foundation has my name written all over it (literally!). I've never had a foundation shade named after me! Well it's not really named after me but I can pretend... Very Happy Pity that particular one doesn't match my skin colour though Sad

Mabsy

Wow! Let's start a " Name Guessing Game" .

I've checked all the names of La Bella Donna.

With the given hints, Mabsy, I'm sure your name is not Crema or Nicoletta.

Honey and Caffe are very unusual names ( well, you are never "ordinary" though).

I don't know why but I think SOPHIA is my choice to name such an intelligent and beautiful girl like you.

My second guess will be Marianna.

And again, "Murphy's law" may tell me that you are Marta.

But, of course, you are always MABSY to us !Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Mabsy

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Awww, you're just too sweet Babyfish... and I must say that I like your powers of deduction Smile

I also love the name "Sophia". It's just such a romantic name, alas I got stuck with something else.... In the end Murphy's Law prevails Wink

Btw, have you tried the La Bella Donna foundation? The packaging looks very nice!

Mabsy
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm ordering my La Bella Donna samples tomorrow. I can't wait, maybe these will be the mineral foundation for me that will replace my Paula Dorf creme foundation. Rumor has it the La Bella Donna samples are FREE, as samples should be!
abighill@aol.com
5% products discount

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Being from the uk we are, unfortunately, a bit slow to catch on to these wonderful cosmetics. I've contacted the la bella donna website but they don't ship to the uk. Very keen to try this range, any web site suggestions?
Tina H
5% products discount

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Abighill....

I also contacted La Bella Donna and was also emailed to say they don't ship to the UK Sad
Will keep me eye out 2 c if anyone replies to you with webs Smile

Fingers crossed!
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Alright you La Bella Donna Crazies!!!!!!!!

I just placed my order over the phone!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine how great this will be but I'm holding all of you responsible! Hee hee hee (j/k). I'm sure it'll be great, but it is a bit hefty for powder. I got the pressed powder just to see the difference from the Bare Escentuals loose powder.

What color does everyone use? The consultant over the phone told met hat 90% of her Asian clients use Umbria so she's sending me that, along with some other samples. I hope I'll get it soon!!

Lisa
babyfish
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
They don't ship to Canada, either SadSadSad
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyne and howdy Lisa!!! Hee hee :P I just put in my La Belladonna order as well. she's giving me Umbria as well as Nicoletta, but I think she said that she thinks I'll be a Crema. Hmmm, we'll see. I have had so much bad luck with MMU's, I'm really hoping this will be the one... I got the samples plus s&h for free from that one dpt. store in NY (whose name slips my mind... I want to say Bergdorf Goodman, but I'm probably butchering it. :P). Let me know how you like yours.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Bergdorf Goodman Smile

I really hope we like this stuff, Thoughtcrime! Smile
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a flocked sponge? I ordered the compressed foundation this afternoon and am very eagerly awaiting its arrival. In the meantime, I need to get my hands on this "flocked sponge" that everyone is talking about! Is it one of those triangular-shaped, white, smooth thingies that come in a bag in any cosmetics section? Someone said its diamond-shaped, and I don't think I've seen anything diamond-shaped! Augh! It sounds like the sponges that make-up counters use to apply foundation (when they don't use brushes, etc.) so I'm hoping this is the case. This is also a good strategy since you can always throw the sponges away and use a clean one for hygienic purposes.

In any case, can someone please let me know what a flocked sponge is?

Thank you!
Lisa
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Alright ladies,

I did a search for "flocked sponge" online and saw a lot of returns for the Jane Iredale flocked sponge -- and yes, it IS diamond-shaped! Is that what everyone is referring to?

If so, I have a few questions:
1) Do you clean the sponge often or is it cheap enough to just buy some to stock up and change sponges?
2) Does anyone have the same problem as I do with pressed powder that you don't want to use your "morning sponge" with your "afternoon sponge?" For instance, I have 2 Bare Escentuals brushes -- one for use in the morning, when my skin is clean and pure (so I presume the brush stays pretty clean as well). The other brush I take with me for touch-ups in the afternoon -- but I would never use my "morning brush" in the afternoon because I feel like my skin isn't as "pure" in the afternoon and I don't want to get the "afternoon" dirt on a clean brush. This is kind of a totally random question, but I just wonder what everyone thinks of this issue (or whether I'm just ultra-paranoid).

With the pressed powder (which is what I ordered), I feel like I'd have to buy two compacts -- one for use in the morning (with a clean sponge), and one for use in the afternoon so the "dirty" afternoon sponge transfer dirt only to the "afternoon" touch-up compact. Okay, seriously, am I paranoid?

Please let me know if the Jane Iredale flocked sponge is the type of sponge everyone is using for the La Bella Donna line.

Thanks again!
Barb

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I have been using an Illuminaire flocked sponge (very cute leopard print!) with my LaBellaDonna, but just went to Sally's yesterday and purchased several from them. They're only $1.99 each (CHEAP.) They are, however, much smaller than the Illuminaire. I haven't tried the JI, but I'm sure they are all the basically the same. I also use a synthetic foundation brush when I apply my loose, then go over it with the flocked sponge. It works really well for me.

Chunlisa: I know what you mean about the morning and afternoon sponges. I always try to use a clean applicator, however, the one great thing about mineral makeup is that it's not suppose to be a breeding ground for bacteria. I think that's the reason I originally wanted to try it, besides the fact that it's good for your skin.

I can't wait to hear how everyone likes their new makeup. I'm sure you'll love it, as I do!
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi, thoughtcrime:
Where could you buy the samples of that mineral foundation? I checked out the official site of La Bella Donna and asked them for the samples, but they said they wouldnt distribute any. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
I'm ordering my La Bella Donna samples tomorrow. I can't wait, maybe these will be the mineral foundation for me that will replace my Paula Dorf creme foundation. Rumor has it the La Bella Donna samples are FREE, as samples should be!
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi bbiz,
I got my free samples from Bergdorf Goodman in NY, here is their phone number
1800.558.1855 extension 2738. I do not know if they ship outside the U.S. HTH Wink
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Do you ladies also used the flocked sponge with the loose mineral powder? Wink
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
A "flocked sponge" is nothing like those disposable sponges they use in department store makeovers. And it's not the same as what comes with an ordinary powder compact. (These will not give good results with mineral makeup.)

Here's a photo of the flocked sponge I use: (near the bottom of the page)
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane_iredale_brushes_hydration_water.htmt

It costs about $7 US, and gives me great results every time. It works best with pressed compacts, but it's also great for smoothing over loose powder that has been applied with a brush.

This sponge is extremely durable. I've washed mine many times and it still looks new.

If you're concerned about contaminating your powder or sponge with "afternoon oil," this is what I do: Before touching up, I press a facial tissue against my face for a few seconds. I find it absorbs oil quicker and better than blotting papers. When I remove the tissue, my makeup is still intact, but the shine is gone. I can then use my powder and sponge without transferring oil to them!

HTH --Alohagirl:P
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
thoughtcrime:
Thanks a lot, I will call and check with them, in fact, I am now using the BE mineral foundation, but I just would say that they are average, nothing that "wonderful" as they have claimed, yet, not too bad.. it's really difficult to get the right (consistent) color and right (consistent) coverage, sometimes, it's too dry on my skin; and it makes my pores become visible (maybe I needmore practice on the application technique)Anyway, this is the reason I am interested in this particular brand after all the raves here ..wish I could find sth better:D
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Hey, thougthcrime:
You know what, I just called at the number you provided .... the salesperson was sooooo.. nice to me .. I am so impressed with their service.

Thanks very much for your number!! How did you find that out, is it a department store in NY? I am sooo looking forward to receiving the samples, cant wait!! Very HappyVery Happy
athan
5% products discount

Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:01 am      Reply with quote
hi all,

just wondering if anyone knows if this NY department store ships internationally, or if they've found LaBella Donna makeup on any other sites??

LaBella Donna emailed me that they don't ship outside the US due to the mineral content????? Anyway I don't get it.

Thanks

thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
bbiz, I'm glad you were able to order samples! Yeah, I agree they did provide good customer service. Bergdorf Goodman is a dept. store in NY. I found out by just calling Labella Donna directly. I hope we like the samples, because I haven't had good luck with mineral powders.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |