Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
can you mix salicylic acid and retinoids?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I can't remember for the life of me the answer to this question.... Brick wall

I use Tazorac (a Rx retinoid) and am wondering if anyone knows if it is okay to use a salicylic acid with it (like for spot treatment) or if I use the aspirin toner. I don't want to cancel anything out or affect effectiveness!

TIA!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
I think you can but id use the BHA in the am and retinoid in the pm. I cant use BHA at all,just makes me peel.
Wouldnt the retinoid be much better anyway at keeping skin clear than a BHA? I find avene ystheal gel more effective on my blackheads than BHA gel.
Or isnt the retinoid clearing your pores as much as you'd like?
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:29 am      Reply with quote
While I am finding that my skin is A LOT better since I have been using the Taz I still have a few break outs here and there and would like to spot treat them with SA when they pop up. To further answer your question, no, my pores are not as clear as I would like them to be esp my nose (blackheads! Mad ).

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
The package inserts for all the prescription retinoids say not to use salicylic acid with them. However, I think it is a matter of whether your skin can tolerate using both. I use Differin which is milder than Tazorac and absolutly cannot use salicylic acid. If I use any product that contains it I regret it. But I have very sensitive skin to begin with and know that others can use both retinoids and salicylic acid without any problems. Using it as a spot treatment would be even less likely to cause problems. I say to give it a try and see how it works for you. If your skin cannot tolerate both you would know it. I do agree with carolb69 that it would be best to apply the salicylic acid in the morning and not to apply it at the same time as the Taz. I am not sure if there are specific reasons why they should not be applied at the same time but to be cautious I try not to apply other active ingredients with my retinoid. HTH
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Hello
My derm prescribed Tazarac for me in the evening and a topical SA in the am. So it must be okay to use together. He did say a light treatment of both since my skin will dry out. Since I have been using. Only 1 full week, my skin is improving by the minute. I noticed a couple small clogged pores, but I extract them and they come out so easy, no mark no scar. I am happy right now. I use cetiphil in the shower as my cleanser. I mix Baking soda with it three nights a week to get a little "scrub" in the cleanser
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all of your input. I've just been spot treating with the SA in the am (and using the Tazorac in the pm) and haven't had any real problems as long as I don't slather the SA on all over (I put a little bit in the general area of my nose and cheek and my skin reacted with blotchiness). So as long as I keep the SA on the zit itself and don't use too much I'm alright.

But do you think the chemicals of Tazorac and SA cancel each other out/ reduce effectiveness when applied at the same time (like using the Tazorac all over my face in the pm and then spot treating with the SA that same night)? hmm

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi amnis! I actually had the same question when I started using retinoids so I called my derm's office and talked to a nurse. She said that if my skin can tolerate it they can both be used together, so I say go for it! I've been using Differin and Tazorac on alternating nights, and every morning I've been using Peter Thomas Roth's Gentle Cleansing Pads which contain 10% glycolic acid and .5% salicylic acid and my skin is looking better by the day so I must be doing something right.^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Well since my neutrogena 2% BHA product has retinol in it, I sure hope so! Wink
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Hi amnis! I actually had the same question when I started using retinoids so I called my derm's office and talked to a nurse. She said that if my skin can tolerate it they can both be used together, so I say go for it! I've been using Differin and Tazorac on alternating nights, and every morning I've been using Peter Thomas Roth's Gentle Cleansing Pads which contain 10% glycolic acid and .5% salicylic acid and my skin is looking better by the day so I must be doing something right.^-^

Thanks for the info. It's little things like this that I always forget to ask my derm when I have an appointment. I guess I could've called my clinic too. Embarassed

I tried Differin way back in high school and my freshman year in college and didn't feel that it worked too well for me. What is the difference between Differin and Tazorac? I've never heard of combining the therapies of those two meds. I'm very happy for you that your treatment is working!

I started incoporating glycolic acid in the form of sugar in my aspirin masks over the last two weeks and have noticed my skin improving. I don't know why I didn't use some form of glycolic acid before! Brick wall Especially when I know (knew) that it would help. You know when you do things (or don't do them) and you think back and question why and say "What was I thinking?!"?

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I think the difference between Differin and Tazorac is that Differin is more gentle. I started out on Differin but since my skin tolerated it so well my derm wants to slowly move me up to Tazorac. At first I was using it a couple times a week, now I'm using it every other night... eventually I plan to cut the Differin out altogether, I just want to take things slowly to try to prevent peeling, etc.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |