Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is anybody worried about traveling?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I'm freaking out... I have to travel by air for work tomorrow. Am I over-reacting?
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

Is it UK/USA?

I can understand and I feel the same but as everyone keeps telling me, it's probably the safest time to fly right now and the point of terrorism is to cause terror which if you freak out is EXACTLY what they want and they have won. Never give in to terrorism.

They'll be so many checks, try not to worry.

Sarah Smile
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
It certainly is scary isn't it.
But I think you will be ok. Just give yourself extra time.
It is really going to suck that you can't even bring a bottle of water onto the plane.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!!! It's internal US, from Boston. Since several of the 9/11 planes had taken off from Boston, I am concerned. But you're right, that I shouldn't put my life on hold. I confessed to a colleague that I am "nervous" and her reaction was that I should consider myself lucky that I'm not travelling with kids as she would in a few weeks. Rolling Eyes
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone! I'm a bit freaked out about flying. I leave on saturday and am traveling to mexico. I also wish I could have a bottle of water with me or something. Oh well. You've got to give up some things to gain others Rolling Eyes Very Happy .
tamifaye
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm flying Monday. Just a hop from city to city in Texas. I'm just bummed that I will be in meetings all day without the ability to apply lipgloss or touch up my makeup. Houston Texas is hot and humid... At least my face looks better because of the things I learned here at EDS.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think they are taking EVERYTHING away. Only liquid-y substances like lipgloss, lotion, etc.

I will be traveling next week and definitely will be checking my bag (with toiletries) though I would never have done that previously. My guess is that when everything calms down, they will ask for our electronic things to be turned on in order to make it through. After all, for us business travelers, it would be death to have to check our laptops as they'd get beat to heck in regular baggage.

Atleast, that's what I'm hoping.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm leaving tomorrow for a 2 month trip all over South America and Southeast Asia. The news this morning was the last thing I expected... it is frightening, but I'm not going to change my life or my plans because of it.

Wishing you all safe travels, with minimal delays.

(And I will gladly turn on my laptop ANY day, and submit it to any screening to avoid having to check it)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Re the electricals, just make sure you ALWAYS have your batteries charged enough to turn things on at security. When we went to New York and also Vancounver/Yukon in December 2001 we had to turn everything on every time we checked in (we had a notebook, digi cam and four or five mobile phones - testing equipment for hubby's work). I happened to ask one guy what would happen if a battery was flat and he said "it hasn't happened yet, but we would KEEP it if it could not be turned on".

And yes, dont let scarey things stop you. You have NO idea how much crap we got from people about our trip back to NY 3 months after 9/11. People were worried about us going (mind you the bloody shoe bomber guy right at the time we went did nothing to ease family worries), but as far as I was concerned, we'd had it planned for almost a year and nothing was keeping us from going. If anything 9/11 made us want to get back more than ever.. to see friends, old hang-outs, etc. It was reassuring for us. Ah, but that is digressing...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:53 am      Reply with quote
My husband and I have travelled quite frequently overseas for holidays but decided approximately 12 months ago that we would no longer travel outside oz as we are not comfortable with the terror risks these days and we won't change from that. This latest episode justs confirms our fears and resolve to never travel overseas in future.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:03 am      Reply with quote
If you give in to them and not lead your life then they have one. My best friend in NYC worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and was at the dentist on 9/11 she was heading back when she saw the 1st plane hit then the 2nd. Her brother is a Captain in the NYC FD. She was one of 11 at her company (over 200 people)that did not die. My mother lives 10 minutes from the Pentagon and heard and saw everything. i will never forget that day but my mom is traveling in Europe, We go home to Ireland and other places and Regina travels from NYC to my house and other places. Don't let those pigs control our lives because they will have won.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:44 am      Reply with quote
I am a bit scared to fly now. We will be coming to the US over Christmas to visit friends that live there.

I've read postings here about what not to bring now. I thought that the airlines were considering it, have they started this already? Is there a website that could tell me what is allowed and what is not? Also, does this affect international flights or is this within the US only?

Redhead, my sister lost a friend that worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. A friend of mine worked at another company and died as well. It was devastating but I will not give in to extremists because that is what they want. They want to bring people to such fear that they win and rule the world. No one has the right to do that to anyone!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
FYI...I wouldn't carry anything...not even makeup.
They're taking lipstick, chapstick, blush...everything at the airport here in my city. Just throw EVERYTHING in your checked bag.
I'm ticked because I NEVER check my bag...I only take a carry-on. But this means I'll have to check a bag and pray it makes it to my final destination.
Honestly...I think the airports are dumb...why? You can't take a bottle of water (even if you drink it in front of security) but I can take a small pocket knife with a blade under 3 inches or so?
Doesn't make sense to me!
We were attacked on 9/11 FIRST by boxcutters afterall.
BUT, at least they caught the guys before they did this! Look at it that way. I blame airport security. They DON'T do their job. I was on a flight once where they frisked a poor old woman in a walker, and let this guy whose bags ended up being waaay to big to be put in the overhead bin through (you'd think they'd notice at the x-ray?) and he ended up delaying our flight because he insisted he was allowed to have his bag on the plane, and when he finally came around, he took his merry old time trying to figure out what he wanted to check and what he didn't. Also, I didn't know it but I had a huge swiss army knife in my carry on (I used it on a prior road trip) and it got through security no problem...TWICE.

One thing that infuriated me yesterday was a man in my office said "they shouldn't allow Arabs on planes anymore."
Not every Arab is Muslim, not every Muslim is Arab, not every Muslim is a terrorist! And alot of these guys were Pakastani...not even ARAB (not every Pakastani is Muslim or a terrorist either!)!
It's his attitude that sparks backlash against innocent people.

Sorry...had to vent. I study the Middle East (for my MA) and I get touchy with people sometimes...esp. someone who doesn't know what he is talking about (he should be glad he is one of my superiors, or I would have criticized his remark!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:29 am      Reply with quote
We flew to Washington DC 3 weeks after 11th September - and we got one heck of a welcome! So many people came up to us and thanked us for visiting from the UK - even security guards in the Smithsonian. It felt almost as though we were celebrities! Laughing

Must admit we were very moved by the friendliness and kindness shown to us during such a terrible time.

The way I look at it is that if you change your life through fear, then the terrorists will have won. We can't let that happen.

As for flying, I heard that flights yesterday over here weren't allowing hand luggage onboard. You could place some essentials, such as a small money purse (do you call them wallets over there?), passport, tickets, essential medication - any liquid medication needing to be verified, etc, in a clear plastic bag. Liquid of any kind otherwise was being banned on all flights to the US.

As someone else said, the security has been really tightened up because of this latest alert, so it's probably a pretty safe time to fly. I'd definitely do it.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I for one am NOT going to stop travelling. Travel is a passion of mine and something I've done since I was 3 years old. In fact I've spent most of my professional life in the travel industry from airlines to travel agencies to tour companies. I've travelled all around the globe and there are still so many places I have yet to go. I am certainly not about to stop now, no matter what the threat. I could die crossing the street tomorrow so I'm not going to give up something I love and enjoy because of the slightest chance I may be at risk. We've all got to go at some point and I'd rather go doing something that I love and something thas helped me grow and learn and become the person I am today. Giving up and not moving forward rewards terrorists. By doing this, they are getting exactly what they want - our fear, hopelessness and sorrow. It's up to everyone around the globe to prove that we cannot be pushed into hiding and alienated from our neighbours no matter how far they are. Travel has brought the world closer together and has allowed us to make this planet a smaller and more intimate place. We should never give that up on account of fear and what ifs.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Well said, wildflower.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I'd be more worried about them making me dump my makeup bag over into the garbage Shock !!! OMG
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Well said, wildflower.

Why, thank you! Smile Back at ya!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Or can you imagine any of our other precious vials and liquid products!?! Shock The IS clinical vials would sure look suspicious to me!
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Canada, and is it true we can't bring make-up or skincare products like lotions anymore? Shock How can i travel without make-up and skincare!!!! I'd be so mad if i had to dump out all my skincare and make-up bag before i fly... I have like $1000 worth of makeup in my make-up bag
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
would you rather lose the makeup or your life. Pack it in your suitcase.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
red head wrote:

I couldnt agree more, but how about those ladies they were showing who didnt know the rules yet (since it just happened) and out they threw 100's of dollars of their makeup and creams.....i just thought hell ya I'd dump it for my life, but geez how sad....
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
red head wrote:

I couldnt agree more, but how about those ladies they were showing who didnt know the rules yet (since it just happened) and out they threw 100's of dollars of their makeup and creams.....i just thought hell ya I'd dump it for my life, but geez how sad....

Throwing it all out is ridiculous and unnecessary. They could have just returned to the check in counter and asked for their bags to be brought back up so that they could pack their other belongings. I used to work at the airport and we did this all the time for people who had put tools, or swiss army knives etc in their carry on and had to check them in after being stopped at security. And if that wasn't possible due to time restraints then they could have just bought a cheap bag in an airport shop (God knows there are tons of them) and just checked in the whole bag. Seriously, I can't believe someone would be so upset about having to pack their precious cosmetics in checked baggage when we are talking about saving lives and avoiding possible risks. Sure, it's annoying and frustrating to not be allowed to carry whatever we want on a plane but let's face it, it isn't the end of the world. If carrying only my handbag with wallet, passport and other necessities was the only way I was allowed to travel then I would just suck it up. I'm sure that if my luggage was ever lost (knock on wood as it has never happened to me yet) I'm sure I could repurchase some necessities while waiting for it to arrive. I wouldn't let it spoil my trip at all. Afterall, that's what travel insurance is for. Plus it would be a great excuse to go shopping for some great local items!
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Obviously I was not clear...I would give up anything to fly safe, I was teasing, finding humor in something horrible is easier for me than focusing on the negitive. On my news people were throwing out wine, makeup, skincare, ect (huge bags and bags of stuff)...the humor side of me focused on that...I am a chicken flyer anyway, I keep thinking this thing can't just pull over if it has engine trouble. So please don't think I would not give up my face cream over flying safe.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I live in Canada, and is it true we can't bring make-up or skincare products like lotions anymore? Shock How can i travel without make-up and skincare!!!! I'd be so mad if i had to dump out all my skincare and make-up bag before i fly... I have like $1000 worth of makeup in my make-up bag

It has to be in your checked luggage. Can't take it in carry on right now. My grandma just left to the UK today and she was only allowed a wallet and her passport.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |