Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

early review :: Vivant Mandelic Acid 15% - pore tightening!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've been wanting to try this for over a year now since reading all the raves over on the skincareboard. It's supposed to be a great resurfacer for sensitive skin because the molecules are larger and penetrate less far and more slowly. It's said to dramatically reduce pore size and in the long term it's apparantly the best acid for reducing hyperpigmentation. It's recommended for more pigmented skin types: so meditteranean and asian and for oily skin.

I'm not the perfect candidate for this stuff. My skin is not quite that pigmented (though I'm not a very pale person) and it's normal to dry.

The first time I used it I was amazed by the immediate pore tightening. I'm not oily so pores are not my main issue, but the ones on my nose and on the sides of my face next to my eyes do show more than before. I also woke up to really peachy looking rather than bleached skin as I get with other exfoliants. I was so impressed with this that I used it two nights in a row. I looked just gorgeous, but my face felt terribly tight and it knocked all the moisture out of me for a week so I had to give it a rest.

I've started using it again now. I apply it more sparingly than before and follow up with lashings of emu. Last time I used it my skin looked so perfect when I woke up that I just washed with water and then added emu and sunscreen. During the day whenever I went to the toilet and looked in the mirror I had mild peeling around my mouth and lower cheeks where I'd been touching my face. This is unusual for me. I've almost never peeled in my life. The pore refining is immediate, but it also lasts. I used it two nights ago and they're still smaller than before.

So, OK I love the effect so much for the pore tightening and the peachy, refined surface skin that I'm definitely going to find a way to work it into my routine it despite the downside. I'm thinking twice a week might be sensible. Maybe I'll use a little gentle scrub in the mornings to deal with the peeling.

I'd totally recommend this stuff to anyone with large pores, especially oily people.

Molly Cool
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting, Molly. I've been checking out that board, as well, and also considering the Mandelic. I think I'm going to add this at night and use the BHA during the day to help combat the oilies and keep my pores nice and clean.

It's a little pricey but what the heck, we are worth it!

Can you tell me how you apply it? Just w/the dropper and rub it around w/your fingers? I ask because I understand people do that to not waste any but there is the possibility of pickling one's fingers, if you don't wash them quickly.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still on the sample size, which is more generous than it looks because you need to apply sparingly. It doesn't have a dropper, but I'm experiencing no pickling here. I always wash my hands after applying stuff though.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I just looked this up and it sounds interesting but I have a question. Are you talking about the mandelic serum, or is this a peel? I thought it was a peel from your description, but I can only find this in serum form which it says can be used daily.

Also, where did you find a sample? Thanks!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl

It's not supposed to be a peel. It just made me peel Embarassed , but then it's recommended for oily skin so if you have that you might like the drying effect.

It's a slow-acting, leave-on exfoliant which you can use day or night or both, though I always prefer night for exfoliants.

My sample was from here
http://www.dianayvonne.com/category/179availablesamples/

Molly Cool
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,
my skin is pretty similar to yours - i like the idea of the mandelic a., so i'll give it a try. You mentioned using it two nights a week - what are then the other products you alternate it with ?
Are you prone to break outs when starting to use a new product ? if yes, have you experienced any with the mandelic acid ?
again, thanks for any info & hear you soon (?!)
l.,
lin
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lin
You can see from my footer what else I'm using, but I'm not systematic and don't have a rigid routine. I just pick what I fancy at the time from my list. If I see rain and clouds forecast I'll do a pumpkin peel and just use emu at night. I do the Ystheal (it's a mild/non-irritating retinoid) maybe 2 or 3 nights a week. I have a Vit C with silicones, which I might use a couple of other nights, especially if I see the sun's going to be extremely hot the following day. I still do an occasional CP night, but not often because I've got too many other new things to try out.

I don't think the effect of the exfoliant would look so good if I hadn't been using these other collagen builders first. It's just sort of revealed the lovely skin I've been building.

I think I remember reading you use the ISC Active. I've used that and you'll find this much stronger so if you're happy with that level of exfoliation you might be in for a bit of a shock. But the pore tightening is lovely.

Molly

Forgot to say, no I never suffer from breakouts or acne of any kind so I couldn't say personally, but it is actually recommended for oily/acne prone skin.
http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/kba_mandelic_acid_3in1_punch.aspx
Fatjack
5% products discount

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly
I think your description of Mandelic acid is very accurate. I also have the trial size and have used it every other day for nearly 2 weeks - just a tiny amount. i found that my blackheads were reduced but my open pores on the sides of my cheek may take some more time....

I have light brown skin which for which i am supposed to be the ideal candidate, however, although i have that refreshed skin in the morning during the day i look all blotchy again.
I am wondering whether mandelic acid has a cumulative effect?

I would warn anyone not to touch or scratch their face after use, like you said- I did this on the corner of my lip and got a wee burn which looked like a huge cold sore!!

Also emu oil was not enough moisture for me as my skin felt stingy and looked dry, so i added rosehip and HA to the mix which did help.

I am going to order the full size...full effects are supposed to be seen after 6 months!!
lets wait and see-

thanks
fatjack
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:54 am      Reply with quote
I've tried the mama lotion mandelic acid and it really is good for sensitive skin. I peel though on that too, so I just spot treat.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I have normal to dry skin; quite sensitive but I am able to use ISC active and firming 3 or 4 times a week and they have really helped with brightening and overall health of the skin.

However, I have large pores on my cheeks and they really bother me; most products for large pores are inevitably for oily skins and therefore are too drying for my skin. However, this product really sounds intriguing esp. as the pore tightening seems to be the most immediate noticeable improvement.

I am wondering about how intense the peeling is - the concept of peeling skin is a bit scary to me. Would it be too drying for normal/dry type of skins?

Thanks.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Samkaj
I have normal to dry skin too, but it's early days to say whether it will be dehydrating in the long run.
I posted a bit early partly because someone asked me to and also I know pores are a big concern for a lot of people.
I've always thought peeling is a bit of a stupid thing to do. The only time I've experienced it before is when I've used my lactic acid peel for a little too long so I immediately cut back. I couldn't imagine I'd ever be one of these people who refer to 'the peelies' like it's a cuddly friend.
I didn't peel the first two times I used it so maybe putting the emu over it made it penetrate more deeply and caused the peeling. The peeled bits all came off when I washed my face properly rather than with water. It wasn't as if I carried on moulting for long.
You could read a lot more user experiences over herewww.theskincareboard.com
There are two other versions the mama lotion which is shunned over there because it contains surfectants and detergents (I seem to remember) and there is a cleaner alcohol free version from Garden of Wisdom (GOW), which could be gentler, but it seems to get mixed reviews.
HTH Molly Smile
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly. I have been waiting for this reveiw.
I'm just wondering now, how I can use it with the is clinical active? Maybe alternate nights? Using one in the morning and one at night would probably be too much for my skin even if it is oily.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
Just a little update to say I've eliminated the peeling. It was the emu making it penetrate more deeply. Just used it two nights in a row without and the effects are nice; peachy even skin tone and some pore reduction, but not nearly as dramatic as with the emu, although I've been using it more sparingly too. Plus I'm not dehydrated.

So, if you're not getting the effects try some emu on top.

Hi Razinkane
It was you who asked me. I couldn't remember.
I don't think you'd need to use both at once because they have the same function as a gentle resurfacer. Why don't you try a sample now and then when you've run out of the Active you can decide which one you want to re-order.
syllie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I love Mandelic Acid! I can use it everyday.
I would love for EDS to carry it!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I just purchased a sample of the vivant and I'm really looking forward to trying it. Since I'm normal to dry, I will probably only use it ever other night. I'll report back after I get a chance to use it for a while.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Same here. I've started using Diana Yvonne's 3% BHA - was applying my IS serums too soon, realized it and now wait 30 minutes for the remainder of my regime. It is now doing the trick and my pores are smaller and also the blackheads are disappearing! Whee!

With the mandelic, I plan to use it every other night right after the BHA though I might have to go back to 2% to use it together. Then, 30 minute wait time. I've verified on the DY forum that it is okay to do this (biphasic) as the Ph levels are near and will not interfere with each other. However, I may take it slower (every 3rd night) because at some point, I want to add my retinoid back in and will do so in the PM.

I'm looking forward to the mandelic, as well, and will report in on my findings.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I keep seeing that everyone on the skincareboard waits 30 minutes after applying mandelic. I understand the concept of waiting 30 minutes after applying retinol (to convert to RA), but what is the point in waiting with the mandelic or any other AHA/BHA products?
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:21 am      Reply with quote
From everything I've read, the BHA/AHA loses effectiveness the moment anything else (makeup, water, whatever) is applied. It takes about 30 minutes for the skin to absorb and to return to its normal Ph level.

For what it's worth, I wasn't waiting the 30 minutes (not thinking right) and when I started, I immediately began to see results. So much so, that I have to exfoliate!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
TAM, FYI, see within the following thread an abundance of information on wait times/Ph, etc.:

http://theskincareboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1091&highlight=wait
samkaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly - I will definitely order the sample and see how it works.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Molly - What emu oil do you use? Thanks.
syllie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Where is everyone purchasing Mandelic?
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:03 am      Reply with quote
syllie wrote:
Where is everyone purchasing Mandelic?

Scroll up to Molly's post.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Molly - What emu oil do you use? Thanks.

Hi Tidieu
I'm currently using the 'ultra emu'fromwww.dianayvonne.com (you can also buy it cheaply in bulk from L&B Processors or something like that - can't remember the exact link but it's easy to find in other emu threads). It's triple refined and I find it very suitable for day wear. Not quite so plumping and moisturising as previous things I've used, but I had to limit myself to night use with those because they were heavier and slower to absorb.
HTH Molly Cool
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Syllie
You can also buy it by the half ounce here
http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/kba_mandelic_acid_3in1_punch.aspx
which works out a little cheaper by volume than the Dianayvonne sample if you want to give it a good trial.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |