Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anybody knit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have been interested in learning how to knit for some time. Recently our local Jo-Ann Fabrics was having a going out of business sale and I picked up some beautiful marked down yarn and a pretty nice set of knitting needles (Ok I think they are a nice set...everything was 80% of and they Had been the most expensive pair there but I nabbed them for $2. I know more $ doesn't always mean better product but I had no clue and other than price they all looked basically the same! Anyway.)

I was wondering if anyone here knits and maybe had some advice on good websites or books or just tips I could use for getting started. It just seems like there are so many different techniques and needle gauges and projects and types of yarn and apparently the yarn even comes in different sizes??? I had no idea! Where do I start? Anyone?

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Shock

I thought knitting was supposed to be relaxing.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Olyn,
I started knitting a few months ago and I'm hooked! It is a bit overwhelming at first and more than a bit frustrating, but after you understand the language, it gets better and better. I just completed my first sweater. It's pretty terrible, but I did it Very Happy!
Here are some sites that can help:
http://knitting.about.com/
http://www.straw.com/index.html
http://www.lionbrand.com/
http://www.usabilityviews.com/bloglines/top_knitting_sites.htm

You should also check your local yarn shop.

Some fun books:

Teach Yourself Visually:Knitting by Sharon Turner (on amazon.com)

Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti (on Amazon.com)

Stitch and Bitch Nation by Debbie Stoller (on amazon.com)

Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee on amazon.com) Also check out her knitting blog:www.yarnharlot.com

Also eBay is good for knitting needles, vintage patterns and some beautiful yarn.

Happy knitting, Joani

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
In theory it is, lol - it took my entire pregnancy & a very patient co-worker to teach me.

Michaels offers classes you might want to check out. I find something like that was easier to learn in person than in a book (which I still can't understand!) or off the 'net.

Still can't make round things (I've finally gotten to a ovally type looking thing) - but can whip out a baby blanket now in about a week. Nothing fancy, but I like em.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Wow Joani, thanks for all the info! I will be sure to check it out. I had tried to find a few websites on my own but since I have dialup (I know, I know) I have to be choosy about what I want to wait to load up, and trying to narrow down the best ones on my own was taking Forever.

Candy, that is a great idea about taking classes at Michaels! I had no idea they did that. I will probably do that as my first step if they have classes available in my area, and then once I have a better handle on things, check into some of the resources Joani mentioned. Do you need to bring your own supplies?

Thanks to you both!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I find knitting very therapeutic. I'm not good at it though. I only do scarves. You should see my cats with scarves around their necks. Laughing
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Olyn!

I have been knitting about 2 years now... I'm still just making scarves, but i'm trying different stitches and stuff now and it's a lot of fun (and great de-stresser!)

My mom bought me a book titled "Stitch 'n Bitch" and it is a great resource for beginners! It walks you through all the basics, and has some fun patterns! and is pretty quirky to boot!

I think scarves are a super easy way to start knitting (and make fantastic christmas gifts!)

There are also some good websites that show/teach about different types of stitches (i'm apparently not allowed to post the web address... but just type knitting stitches in any search engine and you should be good!)

HTH!
good luck and more imporantly, enjoy!
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
I find knitting very therapeutic. I'm not good at it though. I only do scarves. You should see my cats with scarves around their necks. Laughing

Yen you are to darn funny Laughing

I too can only knit scarves. Well, they kinda sorta look like scarves...I've never finished one yet Angel
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
another scarf knitter here! well, kind of. for Yen's cats at least Wink my grandma tought me when i was a wee one, left-handed (continental, i think they call it?) and no oe's ever been able to show me how to purl. so i knit.... just bought some yarn and thread and am starting again. so, Yen, how to your cat's feel about black fuzzy material with little bits of colour???
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Rufus wrote:
Yen wrote:

I too can only knit scarves. Well, they kinda sorta look like scarves...I've never finished one yet Angel

So you make potholders? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Yen wrote:

So you make potholders? Laughing

Sure, and they would begin to look like a scarf and never be finished. Rolling Eyes
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:

Laughing I learned how to crochet when I was about 10 yrs old and used to make little "outfits" for my cat...which she did not appreciate much Embarassed
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Ok, I've taken my yarn out and admired it a few times, but haven't mustered the patience to do anything with it yet. You all make it sound so...fun. Scarves and potholders? Lovely. Laughing
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:07 am      Reply with quote
come on, Olyn, time to knit! if i can do it one armed (for rehab), surely you can too. besides, the world can never have enough scarves Bad Grin Yen's cats are getting cold....
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Surely it is not hard to learn how to knit. I learnt the basic knitting stitches when I was in primary school. There's just two stitches: knit and purl and then it's just variations of these two stitches.

I learnt to read patterns by myself when I decided that I wanted to knit jumpers etc. It was a bit of trial and error at first.

I agree that it is better if you learn from some else and not from a book at first as sometimes it is easier to see actually how it is done.

I have knitted numerous jumpers, skirs, suits and clothes for myself and my kids. It just takes a bit of patience and I think really therapeutic.

I have not knitted for a about 2-3 years now; getting a bit too old now Exclamation
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |