Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My month-long experiment of Rare Minerals vs ordinary MMU
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

Well ... the experiment began on July 19th ... where I put Rare Minerals [colour: clear] on one side of my face and my own MMU Primer/Finishing powder on the other side of my face.

Now, I do make my own Primer ... made with silk and pearl powders ... and it could also be used as a Finishing powder. However, my theory was that the benefits had less to do with what was actually in the primer/finishing powder and more to do with having inert minerals on one's face at night.

I theorized that by having some sort of MMU on one's face at night, one was actually protecting it from bacteria etc from pillowcases and the like. I am diligent about washing my bedding weekly with hot water and bleach ... but invisible bacteria developes nonetheless.

After a month of this experiment, I can say that while both sides of my face have benefitted from having some form of MMU on at night ... there appears to be no difference from side to side. This means that, at least for me, Rare Minerals didn't perform any miracles that would warrant the $85 Cdn pricetag! Laughing This is good news for my bank account! Laughing

However, it does underscore the benefits of having some form of MMU on one's face at night. My face has never looked better than since putting MMU on my face at night ... none of those annoying "where-did-that-come-from" blemishes in the A.M. ...

I did not find that Rare Minerals did anything to actually refine my skin ... but that could be me. Until Rare Minerals hit the market, however, I had never thought to wear a light coating of MMU to bed at night! Laughing

You don't need gobs of MMU on your face at night ... just an application of one of the primers/finishing powders will do. And for me having that thin layer of MMU on my face at night was a huge benefit!

So for those of you who had toyed with the idea of purchasing Rare Minerals ... at least you have my results from testing it on half my face for a month.

According to Makeup Alley, some people get other benefits from using Rare Minerals [as opposed to primer/finishing powder] but I did not.

I have used Rare Minerals since June 12th ... and have not seen any reduction in fine lines etc ... and while I have seen some imrpovement in skin tone, I don't attribute this to Rare Minerals alone. Both sides of my face have this improvement ... and I think it's because my skin hasn't been subject to irritation overnight.

This isn't a "scientific" experiment by any means ... just my observations ...

So ... if you've been wanting to try Rare Minerals, but have shied away from it because of price, try using whatever MMU finishing/primer powder you have been using. Give it a month [for cell turnover] and you might be surprised. Very Happy

Again, my face has derived a great benefit from a thin layer of MMU at night. By the way, this applies to "fresh" MMU applied after cleansing ... and not to leaving on the MMU you put on in the morning! I think it's very important that one cleans one's face twice a day ... Very Happy

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Mary,
Very interesting! I am a big fan of the half face test and am glad that you did this experiment. Just curious, what exactly is in your MMU powder.
Theresa
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi TheresaL,

My Silk & Pearl primer/finishing powder is a really simple "recipe" ...

2 parts silk powder
1 part pearl powder*
1/2 part titanium dioxide
1/3 part zinc oxide

*[the crushed fresh water pearls ... not mother of pearl powder] Note: I had to "smash" the pearl powder even finer as it is too coarse "as is" from the supplier I used.

If I were making some specifically for "night" use, I'd omit the titanium dioxide and the zinc oxide as they aren't necessary ... although zinc oxide is very healing as well as being a physical sunscreen. Still ... for a purely night-time "powder" I'd be tempted to have only the silk powder and a smidge of corn starch. Laughing

However, the point of the experiment was to see if there was any appreciable difference between using a light layer of "ordinary" MMU and Rare Minerals ... so I opted for using the primer/finishing powder "as is". Laughing

I really think that just about any MMU would do ... and I'd be willing to bet that even straight corn starch would work as well. Very Happy

I am convinced that it's the "barrier" created that's really the important part.

Just my two cents.

Mary

PS ... the reason that I began using silk powder as a primer/finishing powder is that I had read that silk powder is "self-adjusting" ... and so it would hold in moisture where I needed moisture ... as well as not adding moisture where I don't need it. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Mary,
Thanks for giving the ingredients. I am curious about your "theory" as to why this works. If the reason it works is because it creates a barrier, would using a moistruizer, oil, etc. work as well since they also create a barrier between the skin and the surrounding environment? Or do you think that there is something special about using a barrier that consists of MMU or a powder like cornstarch?

BTW I have never used any type of MMU and don't necessarily plan on it but I have been interested in trying silk powder as a face powder. Where do you get your silk powder?

Thanks Again,
Theresa
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi TheresaL,

I definitely think that there is a difference between just using moisturizer and using MMU [or corn starch or rice starch etc] as a barrier.

With moisturizers, oils etc ... the bacteria can actually "stick" to the cream/oil and get to your skin. However, with MMU or the starches, the bacteria have a more difficult time penetrating the powder to get to your skin. At least ... that's my theory! Laughing

There must be some difference between the two since I always used moisturizer at night and my face was always prone to the overnight "oh-my-gosh" blemishes ... and those haven't been a problem since using the powders on my face at night. Very Happy

According to the Rare Minerals directions, you wash your face as usual ... and apply your moisturizer ... and after the moisturizer has been absorbed, you then apply the Rare Minerals. That's how I did the experiment ... after moisturizing at night and letting the moisturizer be absorbed, I would then apply the Rare Minerals to the left side and my Silk/Pearl powder to the right side of my face.

Now, as to using the Silk Powder alone, it's a lovely consistency, but you might need something else with it to make it a useful powder ... to "bulk it up" as it were.

I got my silk powder at TBK ... here's the link to the Authentic Silk Powder ...

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=315&ret=http%3A%2F%2F72.37.149.157%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D2%26category%3D13&PHPSESSID=c62e906737ecb93b757c545592fa7024

If that doesn't work go to

http://www.tkbtrading.com/

and select under "Mineral Makeup" the "Base Powders and Additives" The Silk Powder is on the 2nd page.

Good luck

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
hmm...I wonder if this would work with Jurlique Silk Dust - it does have so many good for your skin ingredients. And all we need is a barrier from the bacteria right? Gotta try once my Silk Dust gets here!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sormuimui,

I'm convinced that it would work with any sort of "powder". As long as that powder doesn't have anything in it that irritates your skin, I can't see why it wouldn't work ... at least according to my theory.

Now my face likes "simple" over "complex" ... in all my skin care products ... so my own silk/pearl primer/finishing powder works well for me ... given the comparison between it and the Rare Minerals, at any rate.

Now ... both silk powder and crushed pearl powder have amino acids that are supposed to be very good for your skin ... although I'm not sure how many of these amino acids can actually do much good in dry powder form.

Still, my own powder's recipe is very simple ... and if that sort of simple powder works as well as Rare Minerals on my face ... I don't see why some other powder wouldn't work. Lord knows it's worth a try! Laughing

I may try just the silk powder alone for a while ... and see if single ingredient powders create a similar "barrier".

Certainly if Jurlique Silk Dust doesn't bother your skin ... it should work just as well
[possibly better] than my own concoction! Laughing

Do report back once you've had a chance to try the Jurlique Silk Dust at night on a clean, moisturized face. I saw an improvement in my overall skin condition in about a week ... in terms of no "over night surprise blemishes" ...

One other thing I did notice in the Silk Powder vs Rare Minerals ... the side of my face with the Silk Powder on it felt much smoother/softer than the Rare Minerals side ... although the Rare Minerals side felt pretty good ... just not as good as the Silk Powder side! Laughing

Good luck!

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I believe pearl powder is supposed to heal blemishes and acnes. I know a co-worker whose face used to be bumpy with lots of red acne marks, but her face has been smoothed out significantly and scars faded a lot after using pearl powder. The powder is NOT cheap and it can be taken orally too.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi CK,

The pearl powder isn't cheap ... but it's not too bad. I get mine from TBK and it's $7 per ounce ... and $26 for 4 ounces. I used my coffee grinder to make it finer to add to my primer/finishing powder.

I also make what I call "pearl paste" ... which has proved to be fabulous as along with all its other attributes, pearl powder is a great anti-inflammatory. Very Happy

While pearl powder isn't exactly inexpensive, it's certainly less expensive than Rare Minerals, which in Canada sells for $85! Surprised

I'm glad that pearl powder is helping your co-worker ...

Do you know if she is using a commercial product containing pearl powder or if she's purchasing it wholesale and just using it "as is"?

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:54 am      Reply with quote
sounds very interesting this powder at night experiment of yours!

What do you do with your PearlPaste Mary? as a mask??

Very Happy

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary, I remember she said she bought it at an established Chinese medicine store and the pearl powder is actually used as a medicine.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth,

I call it "Pearl Paste" because that's the consistency of it. Laughing I actually use it as a "moisturizer" ... at least at this time of year when I need less richness in a moisturizer. I suspect, however, I'll need something more come winter. I'd still put the Pearl Paste on my face first and then follow with a slightly richer moisturizer ... or just make the Pearl Paste a bit richer on its own! Laughing

My Pearl Paste is basically pearl powder, distilled water, aloe vera gel and Vitamin E. That's all that's in the "basic" recipe ... and it's this version that I use for very inflammed areas/problem areas. If I want a "moisturizer" version, I use the basic recipe and add rose hip seed oil and/or jojoba oil to give it a creamier texture. Very Happy

Pearl powder is water soluable ... so I dissolve it in the water first and then add the other ingredients. Once it's in it's "paste" stage ... I can add the oil without the mixture separating.

I keep them in the fridge by the way.

I've been using Pearl Paste for months now ... and I'm very happy with it ... Very Happy

Hi CK,

Yes ... you can take it internally ... although I've never tried that. Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Wow this sounds rather interesting , i may have to give it a try. I have heard good things about the use of pearl powder in skin care. I once had a pearl cream which contained pearl powder from a chinese medicine store and it seemed to work well at fading marks however I had to stop using because the cream itself was to rich for my oily skin so using the powder itself may be the answer Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I read the cooking kind of corn starch can harbour bacteria though once opened. It makes sense as it's a food stuff.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,

I've heard that "theory" bandied about on various boards ... but have found no real evidence of it.

Corn starch is corn starch ... and given that most people have corn starch opened in their cupboards for years and years without it ever going bad, I suspect that it's just one of those "nasty justifications" to up the price on a very inexpensive ingredient.

Whether it's called "zea mais" or "corn starch" ... it all seems to be the same thing. Very Happy

Hi TheresaL,

Just thought I'd mention that last night I used only silk powder as a barrier ... and while it's WAY too early to tell if it works, I did note that it would make a lovely finishing powder all on its own. Smile

The only problem might be that it is a "white-ish" powder ... and if you aren't fair in colouring, you might not like the effect.

Now, with MMU, after a few minutes, your skin's own oils soften the visual effect of MMU ... and the same is true for the silk powder. When I first put it on, it made me look a little pale, but within a very few minutes, you couldn't tell visually that I had anything on ... but my face felt fantastic. I really like the "finish" of the silk powder.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Mary,
Thanks for the info about the silk powder. I am quite pale so I don't think I would have a problem in that area! I am going to buy some and give it a try. Is the silk powder from TBK finely milled or would I have to grind it to make it finer?

I am still intrigued by your theory about using powder at night and may give it a half face test myself. However, I am patiently trying other prodcuts right now so the powder test will have to wait. If I get around to doing it I will certainly post my results!
Thanks
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt, I have a question for you about the zinc oxide. I had always heard that people with blemishes should avoid zinc oxide, but you refer to it as healing. You haven't had any problems with it clogging pores?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL

I didn't have to grind the silk powder from TBK ... I just used it straight from the bag! Laughing

Hi marnie

I think that the reference is that people who are acne-prone should avoid zinc oxide cream as opposed to the zinc oxide itself.
Remember that zinc oxide is the medicinal ingredient in diaper rash creams and Ozonol ointment ... but those things have the zinc oxide in a petroleum-based ointment ... and I would think it's that which would severely clog the pores. Zinc oxide is also an ingredient of calamine lotions.

I've never had a problem with zinc oxide in it's powder form ... and my face breaks out if I try to use just about any commercial product ... even those meant for acne! Laughing I've found that zinc oxide helps to heal a variety of things like cuts/scrapes and other problems on places other than my face.

Zinc is a very healing element taken internally as well.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm impressed that you could do half & half for a month!
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Mary- How are tkbtrading's shipping charges for Canada? Did you have to pay any customs/duty charges? Thanks.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Ive used rareminerals and didnt find it did anything. I have been use EM at night lately as i love mmu so much and it has not clogged pores or anything, my skin just looks nice in the morning.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi tidieu,

TBK Trading's shipping was very reasonable ... and they are fast! I generally get stuff from them within a week ... and one time I got it within 4 days! As you know, that's unheard of when awaiting a shipment in Canada.

I can't find one of their invoices offhand ... but $4 seems to ring a bell. At any rate, I've never felt "overcharged" by them.

I've never had to pay duty yet ... of course, that can always change! Laughing

TBK ships the stuff in zip-lock type bags ... so the parcels aren't very big ... and as a result the parcels have always fit into our rural mailboxes and I've never even had to pay those annoying Canada Post "handling" charges of $5 either!

Hi carolb69,

See? That's my point ... some sort of MMU on one's face at night protects your face!

Hi c4ward,

It wasn't all that hard actually. I was determined to see whether or not my "theory" was correct and it was the only way I could fathom to give said theory a fair chance. Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks hpjrt, for clearing that up, I guess if I would have thought about it for a second, I would have figured that out, it makes sense!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:11 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt, a question about silk powder -

Do you feel that if you over-apply it, that it causes any dryness, tightening like if had overapplied something like corn starch, rice starch etc?

Also, is the stuff you get as fine as Jurlique silk dust?

TIA
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi miranets,

I've never tried Jurlique so I don't know how fine it is ... however, I find the silk powder from TBK to be certainly fine enough to use "as is" as a face powder.

It seems to me that I looked up the ingredients of Jurlique once and it had other "powder sources" in it ... does it have any silk powder in it at all? It's been a long time since I looked it up, but it seems to me that the "silk" in the name had more to do with the consistency rather than ingredients themselves. I could be wrong in this ... it wouldn't be the first time! Laughing

Silk powder itself is supposed to be self-adjusting ... and when I've put too much on, it doesn't feel "tight" or even "heavy". What's more, even with too much put on initially, within a few moments you can't tell it's there. Laughing

It leaves a wonderful feel on the skin though ... Very Happy

So, it's nothing like the starches when applied to the skin ... although it does seem to even out both dry and oily areas. I don't think it would be enough on its own to keep the oilies at bay on a very oily skin ... I think you'd have to bolster it with one of the starches to do that.

HTH

Mary

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |