Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Review~ Kiss Me SUNKILLER Super Block Skintone SPF 50+ PA+++
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Being in the states, getting a hold of this sunscreen was a big pain, but CK was generous enough to send this to me with a bunch of other sunscreens, and I am so happy she did! Even though I have a favorite sunscreen already (my beloved Sofina Perfect UV Nuance Up ), i am addicted to trying new ones, so here goes this review...

I can't read the ingredients for this sunscreen since the packaging was written in chinese and the writing on the bottle itself was in japanese. I am assuming this product probably has zinc since Sunkiller Clearwater SPF 50+ PA+++ has zinc oxide in it too and they offer the same level of protection from the label.

The price was really cheap also. I think I got it for less than $12 USD and the bottle is 37mL. I think this is quite a deal considering my Sofina Nuance Up was about $35 dollars for a 60 mL bottle and I know the Clarins UV plus goes for a little more than the sofina.

Onto the skintone milk sunscreen itself. When first squeezed out of the bottle, I have to say it resembled a creamy foundation. It's not at all like the Sunkiller Clearwater formulation which is quite watery and milky. The color was a beige-y color, much darker than the sofina perfect uv nuance up which is also more milky and the color ligher also. I was worried the skintone milk wouldn't blend into my skin, but it did perfectly, giving me flawless skin Smile. I also found the skintone milk a lot more moisturizing than the sofina and I thought at first the skintone milk wouldn't sink completely into my skin, but it did after a few minutes like Mithai had mentioned in another posting. While I find the sunkiller clearwater and the sofina to be mattifying (i always make sure to use enough moisturizer to avoid flaking when using those two sunscreens), i find the skintone milk gave my skin a bit of moisture, without making my skin more oily. I am not sure if it's supposed to have a moisturizing effect, but for me it did. i haven't tried wearing it without a moisturizer, but i might in the future during warmer weather. i also suspect this sunscreen might be more comfortable to wear during colder weather as i can imagine the sofina being more drying if i don't moisturize well.

all in all, i think this is a great sunscreen for the price and the formulation i do love a lot. however, i prefer the slightly pinkish tint the sofina perfect uv nuance up gives me as to the skintone milk's more natural beige, so that will always be my favorite. My sister, however, is over the moon for the skintone milk. if sofina ever gets discontinued, i think this would definitely be a close replacement. anyway, i recommend anyone looking for a light sunscreen to give this a try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for your review, skincareaddicted!

You've got me consider getting this when my LOVED Nuance Up runs out. Laughing

So, do you mean it has a thicker consistency than Nuance Up? And how about the finish? Does it dry to give that smooth and somewhat powdery finish like Nuance Up? Very Happy
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi CK,

No, thank you for sending me the skintone block for me to even write the review!

skintone block is definitely thicker than nuance up, which pours out of the bottle like water/milk. the skintone block comes out more like a creamy milk. it's still easy to spread though.

as for the finish, it doesn't matify like nuance up does, but it provides a finish much like an extremely hydrating foundation, very smooth but not matte. it makes my face feel very moisturized but NOT oily. it seems to absorb oil, looking at my face now after applying 8 hours ago, but it does not give a powdery finish. i hope that makes sense.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
This sounds great! I really want to try it! I sometimes find my Sofina a bit drying.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skincareaddict. I just got my Sunkiller Clear Water SPF 50+ today from Ebay. Because I am so fair and have had skin cancer, I'm extremely careful about sun protection. I use La Roche Posay Anthelios because it has mexorly. Which Sofina do suggest I try? I'm confused on the different kinds of Sunkiller. I really appreciate your detailed review.
Thanks. C4WARD

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi C4ward,

There are a few posts done on the sofina sunscreen lately:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13598&highlight=sofina

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15744&highlight=sofina

they are really helpful if you're curious about the brand. I myself am using Sofina Perfect UV Nuance Up SPF 50+ PA+++, which is much like the Sunkiller Clearwater you bought except it is tinted (how did you find it on ebay BTW, i looked everywhere for it?).

However, if you've had a history of skin cancer, then I think it might be best to stick with euro sunscreens since they tend to be higher in PDD rating for UVA rays (equivalent to Japanese PA rating).

I hope that helps any.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I guess I got lucky on Ebay. I'd read about it here at EDS & used the buy it now option. It came from a vendor in Hong Kong. I used it this morning & liked it a lot. I always wear a hat & sunglasses, so it's nice to find something that isn't opaque. I'll still use Anthelios if I'm planning to be outside for any length of time, but for my drive to work I love this Sunkiller.Thanks for the links to Sofina. c4ward

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi c4ward,

I think for myself, japanese sunscreens are perfect for everyday wear, so i think you should be fine unless you sunbathe or spend a significant of time outdoors, then go european like you've said.

the sofina lucent up is clear like the sunkiller but pricier. so if you don't need a tinted sunscreen, i would stick to sunkiller since it's cheaper and probably works better if not the same than the sofina.

if you like the tinted look, then definitely try either the sunkiller skintone milk or the sofina nuance up. i prefer the tint of the sofina over the skintone milk, but both are excellent Smile.

the sofina is a lot easier to get a hold of though, as many ebay sellers stock it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Great review - I'm actually looking forward to getting a package soon from CK with both the same Sunkillers you got, too! I'm really excited to try the Skintone because I find that Sofina leaves a whiteish cast, even the Nuance version. I mix it with minerals to darken it, although I realize that makes the SPF weaker.

Will post once I get the goodies in the mail from CK!!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
Great review - I'm actually looking forward to getting a package soon from CK with both the same Sunkillers you got, too! I'm really excited to try the Skintone because I find that Sofina leaves a whiteish cast, even the Nuance version. I mix it with minerals to darken it, although I realize that makes the SPF weaker.

Will post once I get the goodies in the mail from CK!!

Hi Girlzmommie-- sounds like you'll definitely like the sunkiller skintone milk better than the sofinas. no film at all. i like the pinkish cast i get from the sofina nuance up, it makes my skin look rosy and more healthier, but i think for the overall texture and feel of the 2, the sunkiller skintone milk wins by far. i hope you like the sunkillers, and isn't CK the greatest???

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
CK is truly a buddy, so looking forward to getting the package!!
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Ladies, you're welcome!! Very Happy It's my pleasure to be of help for members here on EDS. Cool
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I never thought i would say this, but after having used both the sofina nuance up and the sunkiller skintone milk for about 3 months, I have to say, this has become my FAVORITE sunscreen now, knocking the sofina nuance up from its number 1 spot Laughing .

I won't be repurchasing the sofina once i run out, because i simply love the sunkiller! I find my skin feels more hydrated and the sofina skintone milk is more closer to my natural color than the sofina nuance up which makes me a little paler than i actually am.

you have to try this, the price is also so much nicer than sofina's!

CK--thanks so much for introducing me to this!!! love ya!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know whether this is a chemical or physical sunscreen? I have a feeling that it is a chemical ss ie I can't use it with MMU.

I am going to Hong Kong and Japan in December and like to stock up on ss.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I found the ingredients on MUA for the Clearwater version only but i think it should be similar to the skintone milk one, http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=41834/Sunscreen/Kiss_Me/Sunkiller_Clear_Water_SPF_50_PA+++/

Ingredients: Cyclomethicone, Water, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Alcohol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldoecanol, Butylene Glycol, PEG-9 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Trifluoropropyldimethyl/Trimethylsiloxy Silicate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Benzophenone-3, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Dimethicone/ Methicone Copolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, C20-40 Isoparaffin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Tannic Acid, BHT, Nylon-12, Zirconium Dioxide, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fucus Vesiculosus Extract, Soluble Collagen.

It is also described on the site as "natural" here http://www.sunkiller.com.sg/cms/article.php?story=20060926142349224 :

Quote:
Provides the highest anti-sunburn effect, this product is non-perfumed and contains natural ingredients. Perfect for the outdoors, this product offers 50+ SPF and nano-veil technology with triple block against harmful Ultraviolet-A, Ultraviolet-B and Infrared radiation. Water proof and sweat resistant, it is perfect for outdoor activities.

HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks skincareaddicted. I will have to look up the other threads and see if any of the ingredients is avobenzene.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:16 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I love Sunkiller, it's my HG sunscreen for summer use (I don't stay out in the sun, but feel the need for the SPF 50 in summer.) I've tried the skin tone one, the "Powder in Milk" and "Clearwater", with Clearwater being my absolute favourite. It's such a wonderful light fluid sunscreen which has no greasy feel and actually leaves my summer oily skin matte for the whole day.

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the skin tone sunscreen, but it has a similar texture to the Powder in Milk, it's a bit thicker and not as runny (though still very liquid) as Clearwater. Unfortunately for me, the beige tone didn't suit me as well.

The Powder in Milk I believe has a tiny bit of menthol added to it, and gives me a very slight white cast. It's not bad though and if I didn't have any Clearwater, I'd use this.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted thanks for posting the ingredients for the Clearwater! I have one but haven't tried it yet and after seeing the ingredient list I am not so sure it is something that I would want to use everyday. I will have to research some of the sunscreen ingredients since there are some listed that I have never really heard of before!!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi TheresaL,

Did you ever end up using the sunkiller?

the ingredient list does contain a lot of chemicals it seems but the formulation is just so lovely, that I can't break away from it just yet. I guess when i run out, i am gonna try to find a more pure sunscreen but i have a feeling it won't be easy to find one i like.

Kristen

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
I've used lots of Sunkillers (I have reviews on MUA under this handle) and although I liked the finish, the protection is not optimal. It uses both chemical and physical filters (a relatively small percentage of zinc oxide), but there isn't anything to stabilize it. It's at least a generation behind when it comes to sunscreen chemistry.

I've also used Sofina's sunscreens and would have to echo my comments.

This all said, I don't see why you shouldn't use either of them on days you don't spend much time outside, etc. I don't want to be completely discouraging. I just am a fanatical believer in optimal sunscreens, as I take such good care of my skin that I don't want the bloody sun to wreak even an infinitesimal amount of havoc (an impossible notion, but still... ) Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
hi cristaline,

thanks for the reminder. i remember a good majority of us here who use the sunkiller and sofina don't get in the sun much and do use a different sunscreen when frolicking outside for long periods.

i am not sure what percentage zinc oxide are in the sunkiller and sofina. Do you have any idea?

Kristen

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I can't tell you offhand the exact percentage, as it was at least 2 years since I used these sunscreens. I stopped using them, however, because the amounts were negligible. Moreover, they were not stable sunscreens, which is the more important factor.

If I search around my computer, I probably can find the info. I'll do it when I have a chance and then I'll PM you if you'd like.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:25 am      Reply with quote
thank you cristaline!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Cristaline, This is what I was afraid of. Since I had skin cancer at 26 and I'm fair , I have to be really careful. I have the Sophina & Sunkiller , but will only use them on days with little sun exposure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted,

Thank you for this review. I have been looking for a new sunscreen for my oily skin, so I ordered some today from bobodave (just love the name!) It was also fun viewing products not available in the US. Needless to say, I purchased a few more items than sunscreen Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |