Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Placental extract in products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:16 am      Reply with quote
Lately I have had a fascinaton with the Z Bigatti skin care line and I managed to get my hand on a sample of their Enlighten moisturiser. The effect was amazing. I put it on over night and the next morning my skin looked positively radiant. Beautiful texture and a real pleasure to use. Over the next few days I was overwhelmed with compliments about my skin and decided to check out price and ingredient of this cream. It contains all the usual skin lighteners like rumex crispus, mulberry and bearberry in addition to anti oxidants grape seed, green tea and superoxide dismutase. I have used products with most of these ingredients before and was surprised it made such a difference, so I investigated and found placental extract on the ingredient list. I have e mailed them to ask where this extract is from and untill I get a reply was just curious if any of you have an idea or have any experience with this ingredient.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I seem to remember there was quite a fashion back in the 80s for using placenta in skincare - ugghh!

I think (?) originally sheep placenta was used but now they probably use placenta of anything that moves, including humans! Yes, gross.
I do use emu oil, which is probably equally gross, but there's something about putting placenta on my face that I can't handle.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I started a thread about placntal protein awhile back :

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13631&highlight=eye+bright

DHC uses it in their products as well-- some of it is derived from pork, but they also have a botanical placental product. I still use my Eye Bright which contains it, and it works well. It moisturizes and brighens my skin. I don't even have to use undereye concealor anymore for my dark circles.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
What is DHC short for - I have not heard of this brand - so you found it worked then... I am not sure it would put me off with results this great.
samkaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Violetanne, I was curious if the Eye Bright you mention is from Dermalogica?

Thanks.
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
What is DHC short for - I have not heard of this brand - so you found it worked then... I am not sure it would put me off with results this great.

http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/
it's a brand from japan
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link milodomi, I could not find any ingredients listed on the site, but it looks interesting.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
samkaj wrote:
Hi Violetanne, I was curious if the Eye Bright you mention is from Dermalogica?

Thanks.

Nope, it's from DHC. If you scroll up and click on that thread link I posted, you can read my review of it, as well as the ingredients. DHC lists ingredients for all their products on their website. The link is over the initial description of the particular product you're looking at.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Sheep placental based products are still very popular in Asian souvenir shops.. but unless the product states it is from a certain animal, it could be of any source.

I have used those rich and thick 'old ladies' placenta creams for my dry hands, but most of the time these creams are so bogged with other fillers and synthetics, it's impossible to know if the % of placenta has any effect at all.

I think the theory behind it is similar to Cellcosmet, whereby the placental cells can repair damaged cells. But most scientific sources I have read seem to conclude that things like fibronectin, placenta, cellular extracts, are very good at binding moisture at the skin, any other claimed effects have not been proven.

HTH
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:

I think the theory behind it is similar to Cellcosmet, whereby the placental cells can repair damaged cells. But most scientific sources I have read seem to conclude that things like fibronectin, placenta, cellular extracts, are very good at binding moisture at the skin, any other claimed effects have not been proven.
HTH

miranets I am surprised that you did not comment on my "How exactly does Cellcosmet Work?" thread! I ended up concluding the same thing that the proteins in the Cellcosmet are very good water binding agents and that is about it. Are there any specific scientific sources you would like to point out here?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Heh, I don't know why I didn't reply either. I was reading it with interest, and when your conclusion came through, it resonated with my beliefs based on all my readings too.

Well can't remember any sources off the top of my head, and I have't bookmarked any. But if you google 'fibronectin skin' and other various combinations of the extracts with the word 'skin' you can find some good sources like NHBI(sp?) or something database, but mostly about wound healing or sites that sell cellular extracts for research.

I also posted a question regarding the "miracle" ingredients in Swiss cellular skincare, to this skin-care blog, sorry don't remember link either, and they replied that it is most likely that when these extracts are hydrolysed they become excellent humectants

Well my own theory about using these cellular extracts is, if they do have any such 'cellular refining, transformational' properties, it could very well be they lock in moisture VERY well to allow the skin to replenish collagen, moisture levels - which the lack of is basically the cause of wrinkles/dullness.

But then again, for those who do notice significant changes to the texture of their skin once they begin to use these products, I suppose there are other things that are going on at a cellular level that we couldn't understand. Also I know that placental extract (plant or animal) is supposed to provide a living source of amino acids and other nutrients essential to stimulating skin turnover.. so perhaps they are nutritious too?

From simply looking at the ingredients of Valmont and Cellcosmet products, it seems that the only possible actives that could be making a difference to the skin are the cellular extracts, as everything else is an emolient or comodogenic hehe..

Well I've droned on enough....
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Interesting reading. If it is the placental extract which is giving great results with Z Bigatti, I think it must do more that bind moisture as I regularly use a hyaluronic acid serum and this does more than that.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks miranets! I have done more google searches than I care to think about when it comes to Cellcosmet. Yes, I have seen the stuff you mention. I guess we both came to the same conclusion.
As for the cellular extracts I myself prefer not to call them actives since they don't fit my definition of an active ingredient. I honestly am still open to the concept of cellular extracts having some effect other than hydration. However, there is no science to back this up. If I ever see any proof I would readily change my mind. How hard would it be for Cellcosmet to do even a simple study of one of their face creams or eye creams to show that it reduces wrinkles, improves texture, or anything? But yet IMO they have not done this. If they had I am sure they would have it mentioned on their website and in their literature!

Smoothskin what other Z Bigatti products have you used and what other products with AHAs and BHA have you used?
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Smoothskin what other Z Bigatti products have you used and what other products with AHAs and BHA have you used?

The AHA and BHA - is it to compare with Enlighten? Because it is Restoration which contains AHA and BHAs. Just wondering... I have only tried Enlighten and the Champagne Gel Cleanser (nice, but nothing special). I am still wowed with the results and running out of my sample...
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin I was just curious because it would seem that the combination of AHA/BHA plus the whitening ingredients is IMO the most likely cause of your results. I suppose that there could be something to the placental extract thing but my first instinct would be to attribute your benefits to something that would be more likely to cause the results you are seeing.

EDIT:I misread your last post. The product I am looking at is the Enlighten Skin Tone Provider and according to the ingredeint list at DermStore it does contain both AHAs and BHAs.
Here is a link to what I am looking at.
http://www.dermstore.com/product_Enlighten+-+Skin+Tone+Provider_5469.htm
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you are right... All I know is that it is special.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin I hope you don't think that I am being negative about the product because I definetly am not. If anything it has an impressive ingredient list!! I hope you didn't get the wrong impression. Embarassed
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
No, no, no I did not think that at all, all your posts have a positive helpful vibe, and of course I realise that you realised the ingredient list is impressive Rolling Eyes

I also think it might be a combination of all the ingredients, I have used some of them before, but never all of them together. I have had good experience with superoxide dismutase, for example, in Institut Esthederm's Cyclo Repair which also contains crushed pearl, and the skin lightening ingredients are quite new to me. Maybe I should just go and buy it and get on with it in spite of some chemicals that would usually put me off...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |