Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any other cures for excema...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
besides prescription creams such as elidel, cortisones and whatnot? I've had excema all my life and break out once and awhile from product allergies, hormonal imbalances etc. I would really like to find something to help heal excema naturally and help keep it at bay. I've tried taking evening primrose caps but that doesn't seem to help much. I've heard alot of talk about emu oil...do you think this would be good for excema? I cannot use anything with essential oils as I am highly allergic to any type of fragrance, natural or synthetic. Hoping someone out there can help! TIA!
Donna Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Moosette. I highly sympathise - I've been hospitalised twice with my eczema. About a year ago, I read a review about a product called Linatox - an oil supplement that you drink. I got some and it really helped. However, it was quite expensive. The ingredient list is Hazelnut Oil, Sunflower Oil, antioxidant and strawberry flavouring. I figured I could manage without the flavouring so I mix hazelnut oil and sunflower oil in equal quantities and take a tablespoonful every day. I also bought some Bio-Oil for trouble spots and this has also helped and apparently you can also put it in your bath. Haven't done this yet because (touch wood) I'm fairly free at the moment. Lastly, there is a thread on this board about HA supplements (Eureka, I've found the ultimate lip plumper - or something like that). I've been taking this for a month and the deep wrinkles in my hands have improved. Apparently it works to lock in moisture. In conclusion, I would say the oils and the HA help internally and the Bio-Oil helps externally. But you probably already know that, with eczema, everyone is different. I know I'm allergic to some things but even when I avoid them I still get flare-ups. You can PM me if you want to rant - I do know how horrid this disease is. Talkeczema.com may give you some other tips.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
moosette,

I really feel for you. I have dermatitis on my face/scalp and eczema on my body. However I didn't get my eczema til a few years ago and they don't itch. My sister had eczema all her life and the itch was unbearable. She had her worst flareup when she was pregnant. She had to haave her legs bandaged up and put on high dose of steroid despite of her pregnancy.

I have been taking HA, fish oil, and borage oil supplements. Also moisturize like crazy with fragrance-free moisturizer. Turn on the humidifier during winter time. Only use allergen-free detergent, no fabric softner or dryer sheet. However I just cannot give up my hot showers... Sad

I am currently using my steriod cream for my latest flareup. Hope you find something that works for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
there was another thread on this but i can't find it now..anyway..
i've had eczema as well and it's hard to treat it so that it's completely gone; my condition has improved alot and i first went to a dermatologist..he gave me antibiotics & cortisone cream and i guess i was allergic to something that my nose bled quite a few times within those few weeks
then i started seeing a chinese herbalist..it does take longer and u don't see the result as quickly but it's more natural and works for me
i've heard that oils such as flax seed and primrose do help..try eating more organic food and i do a detox program twice a year now, to make sure that i get the toxin out of my body
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
A few of my friends have tried using skincare products that contain Manuka honey & have found that they work really well. Also I've heard a diet rich in essential fatty acids plays an important role in reducing Eczema related symptoms.

HTH Smile
Big Fran

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cesce.

I'd been using Linatox for about two and a half years and the result was a dramatic improvement in my skin. However it has now been discontinued in the UK. Then i read the message you posted about mixing Sunflower Oil and Hazlenut Oil in equal quantities. I just wanted to know if you'd persisted with this and if it had shown the same results as the Linatox? Also how long before you saw any benefits?

Francis
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi moosette,

living nature's products were developed specifically for eczema prone skin--they are a great preventative and treatment regime--the original products that contained manuka honey.
www.livingnature.com

especially the manuka honey and evening primrose gel!

it sounds like you are having a tough time with your skin right now--hopefully the spring weather will bode well for you, and I hope your scalp and skin feel better VERY SOON!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I had eczema on my elbows a couple of years ago, it was pretty bad, itchy and would bleed from all the scratching. I used emu oil (thin layer) over my problem areas and the eczema cleared up. Also, my bf had an eczema breakout on his pinky and I put emu oil on it for a couple of days and it went away. I can't say emu oil is the eczema cure but it definitely fixed the problem in my case.

I also read that infrared saunas are supposed to help with eczema.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I used (chinese herbal medicine) Spring Wind's Lotion and Ointment on my eczema and it really helped sooo much!! I'm prone to eczema too. But those stuff really stink and stained my clothes. Also, Burt Bee's Diaper Rash Ointment is a really good ointment for nightly treatments on eczema.

Hope you get better soon!
sundae
5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have suffered from eczema all my life and was hopitalized once several years ago so I know your pain. I find that taking a high dosage of UDO's oil helps alot for my condition (about 30ml per 100lbs of body weight). You might want to look into that.

Hope you get better soon~

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
My mum's friend had bad eczema once he reached middle age, and he started taking omega-3 supplements intensively and much of it has disappeared. Make sure you look for something that has guaranteed potency for Omega-3 (O 6 and 9 are readily available from other dietary sources)

I have quite dry skin on my legs which itches like crazy when I sit and occasionally get white patches of dry skin, especially in winter ... but after supplementing with cold pressed flax seed oil for several months I found that my skin retains moisture a lot better.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
My nephew is 6 years old and has eczema on his feet; sometimes it's so painful that it's difficult for him to walk. Sad

Three years ago, I mixed up a serum containing emu oil, tanamu oil (another very healing oil), and helichrysum EO for him. I sent it to my brother and SIL to put on his feet and they've had great success with it. I still mix it up and send it to him 2 or 3 times a year.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
second mtview. taking fish oils for omega 3 (EPA and DHA) has been know to help ezcema.

please note that i am NOT a qualified medical practioner and cannot give any advice. This is information that i've read up and would like to share.

i take nordic naturals myself.
--------
here's some notes that i copied down when reading up on EFAs. wish i could remember the source...

Omega 3
Ease symptoms of eczema.
Those suffering from psoriasis or eczema may find that the irritated, itchy patches common to these ailments respond to treatment with fish oils after about a month.

the recommended dosage for eczema is 1,000 mg 3 times a day.

Side effects vary depending on the brand, so if you have trouble tolerating one fish oil supplement, try switching to another brand.

Don't buy cod liver oil as a source of omega-3s; the high amounts of vitamins A and D contained in these supplements can be toxic.

There is much debate about mercury levels in fish and fish oil supplements. Buy supplements from a reputable establishment, and look for sources from the cold Nordic seas. Pollution and contamination are not as high in those waters as in U.S. sources.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Omega 6's (from borage oil)

Reduce the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis. In some cases, skin disorders develop when the body has problems converting dietary fats into GLA. Getting supplemental GLA from borage oil may therefore be helpful. GLA and other essential fatty acids also revitalize the skin by quieting inflammation and causing blood vessels to contract. People who suffer from the redness, itching, and other discomforts of eczema may even tolerate reduced doses of steroid creams and drugs--many of which cause unpleasant side effects--if they also take GLA. Not all studies point to such benefits, however, and many conventional doctors remain skeptical.

Eczema 1,000 mg a day
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
My nephew is 6 years old and has eczema on his feet; sometimes it's so painful that it's difficult for him to walk. Sad

Three years ago, I mixed up a serum containing emu oil, tanamu oil (another very healing oil), and helichrysum EO for him. I sent it to my brother and SIL to put on his feet and they've had great success with it. I still mix it up and send it to him 2 or 3 times a year.

tam, would you please share this recipe? my niece is also suffering from eczema (she bleeds) and we would like to try anything natural. the homopaths we went too weren't much of a help Sad

she's highly sensitive and can't consume wheat, soy, diary and fish....

off topic: congrats on your 1000th post!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
tam wrote:

tam, would you please share this recipe? my niece is also suffering from eczema (she bleeds) and we would like to try anything natural. the homopaths we went too weren't much of a help Sad

she's highly sensitive and can't consume wheat, soy, diary and fish.... !

I feel for your niece; eczema can be so nasty. Mad

My "recipe" is simple... I mix two oz. bottles at a time. 1.5 oz of emu oil, .5 oz. of tamanu oi, 8 drops of heli and 4 drops of lavender EO.

It's pretty basic and the trick is to use it often.

Just wanted to add that my brother is a pharmacist and even though he was very skeptical about my "potion", he is now a convert because he couldn't find anything that works as well as this (and he really tried!). Wink

snowstar wrote:

off topic: congrats on your 1000th post!

Thank you! Very Happy
beatyneils

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 am      Reply with quote
hi,
there are pretty well herbal and natural medicines available for eczema and psoriasis.
though the both disorders seem to be different but researchers prove their causes are same.
psoriaway is the herbal medicine can be used for relief of psoriasis and eczema.

for more details
visit www. fastpsoriasisrelief. com
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I use Genuine Health fish oils and they have been the best for keeping the eczema away. I tried flaxseed and it didnt work as well and I had to take way more to get some effect. With the fish I took two of the double strength ones and it went away in about one week if it was mild and two weeks if it was severe.

I also use hemp oil soaps and they work great to help the skin. I dont really moisturize as I find it rubs off on the clothes.
mina1
5% products discount

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:25 am      Reply with quote
I'm using the Genuine Health Brand too Fish Oil Capsules. Ithink it keeps it away. Well whenever i feel an itch coming on I use the Aveeno Oatmeal bath Sachets. stir up a bath and pour the oatmeal in and it soothes out the itchiness...
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Omega 3 for sure. Also check out this cream from skinstore.com - it is atopalm MLE and has had rave reviews on the site for eczema. I bought it as a moisturizer for dry skin on my arms,legs and heels. It was fabulous for the heels and reviewed specifically for eczema. Wasn't horribly expensive either.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:47 am      Reply with quote
http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm

this mentions using EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil) organic: as a skin cream.

here's an excerpt from the article at the above link.

Quote:
The small molecular structure of coconut oil allows for easy absorption through the skin, giving it a soft, smooth texture. It makes an ideal ointment for the relief of dry, rough and wrinkled skin. Psoriasis and eczema suffers often see great improvements in these distressing conditions. For more information, read on ...

I use it a skin cream and a hair conditioner and i love it. All the scalies/dryness of skin and scalp are gone.

It's not expensive and not a drug so unless you are allergic to coconut, it should not have any bad side effects. You may want to give it a shot over the winter to see if it helps.

BTW, I use Nutiva brand. Smells and tastes great(i use it for cooking too).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've actually noticed a big difference since I stopped using hand and body wash products containing sodium laureth sulphate.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Marjob, can you recommend some of those hand and body wash you use that do not have SLS? I bought my BF some to try and he found it really drying and so now I'm out to look for more.

LRP was a temporary fix but it's just not that great of a "cleanser".

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:
Marjob, can you recommend some of those hand and body wash you use that do not have SLS? I bought my BF some to try and he found it really drying and so now I'm out to look for more.

LRP was a temporary fix but it's just not that great of a "cleanser".

Thanks!

For handwashing, I've been using either JASON Satin Soap for Hands and Face or another one - but I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the second. It's an organic brand and I bought it in Asda in the UK.

In the bath and shower, I've mainly been using REN, but have just bought some thinkhappy Organic Surge Tropical bodywash to try. Neal's Yard Remedies stuff is good too.

I think the best thing for him to do would be to visit a health food store and ask in there for non-sodium laureth sulphate cleansers. Some are expensive and some are very reasonably priced, plus there are different scents - and even unscented ones for very sensitive skin.

I do hope he can find something that will help. It's not much fun to have dry, sore skin.

Alternatively, there are emollient creams that you can use for washing too. Just pop some in your hand, add a bit of water and away you go. I'm not sure if you're in the US, as the product names would probably be different there. I've used Diprosan before in the UK. These should definitely not be drying.

Good luck!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I sympathize with you too Moosette! Theres lots of good suggestions here and they all have a similar protocol; to get the moisture back into your skin. I have had very good results using pure shea butter and you can pick that up on line at Nasabb. Don't get the scented kinds just the unrefined shea butter which is much cheaper and is good for skin anyway so you can't go wrong.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |