Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
My Name is Wendy and I am an Addict
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hair, skin nails anything to do with appearance addict! I have gone over what I have spent on this stuff in 06 and it is mind blowing! It all started with my 20th HS Class reunion. I had some botox done and needed to make sure I improved my skin so that wasn't so much of a waste and it just went crazy from there.

I have GOT to simplify things. No more looking for the "miracle product". I am going to pick out what core products are working and are most beneficial and stick with that. God it is almost like a real addict that hits a rock bottom ya know? spending money on this stuff and spending energy that can be used for more productive things. I just can't resist a good review on something. don't get me wrong, my bills are paid and my family is taken care of.

I'm sticking with my good clensers, MY HG which is Jan Marini eyelash, Rogaine for the eyebrows I never had and good clensers. I bought a bunch of Revive stuff from ebay so that will stay, and use up the skin Biology stuff I have which will last for months. But no more NEW products. I really feel like I have a problem.

There I said it! Sort of feels better. Boy look at my list. I still have a problem don't I? Where do you draw the line? If I start working on my spirit, the inside you know? Maybe it will all show on the outside.

But can I really justify spending this? SHOULD I feel gulity? DO I have a problem? I'm nearing 40 and never really paid attention to my skin until the last year. I never considered myself high maintainance. But I guess I am.

does anyone else ever feel this guilt?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
High Maintenance just means high quality, baby!!! Wink LOL, but seriously, yes, I know just how you feel. I too find it almost impossible to resist a good review. I've also been considering paring down routine to core cleansers, toners, and treatments, but I will say that if it hadn't been for all the rave reviews here at EDS, I would never have found a lot of my holy grail products like Jurlique's Rost Dust, Dr. H toner and cleansing cream, etc etc. Anyway, don't feel too guilty, Wendy. There are a lot worse vices than our beauty * spam alert *! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Wen,

I'm not sure if this will help, but I struggle daily with finding a balance. The balance for me is being true to myself while also being realistic of our society and it's expectations.

Like you, I was never considered high maintenance. In fact, some labeled me "granola" which I thought was fine. I like jeans and a bandana. Then I entered the working world. Bandanas aren't accepted, and low and behold, you should do your hair and wear some makeup. It is unfortunate, but I notice the more formal, and even prettier men/women in my office and outside the office are treated better. That's reality.

However, I've also always hated the look of women I think look plastic and fake. I love seeing people who's attitude and aura glow--the type of people you know are generally happy with who they are, and as you said, look good from the inside out. Too add to the confusion, I know for myself, I've quite enjoyed trying new things, like a mask or face care. SOmehow, the "ritual" of doing something for me, is making ME feel better about myself. That being said, it is easy to cross the line. It is easy for me to say, "If only I had or looked like this, more people would find me attractive or successful." It's an unforunate, but realistic journey I face (and many in the US/developed countries face) on a daily basis. There is outside pressure (media/Hollywood) and internal pressure (our fears, insecurities).

I've had the opportunity to travel quite a bit in 3rd world countries and was amazed at how my attitude differed from being in the states. I didn't wear make-up, stress about my weight etc. I was me, my authentic self, I suppose. However, back in the great US, I/we are exposed to so much crap concerning who we SHOULD be, that we start to confuse that with who we are or truly want to be. (if that makes sense)

I'm ranting and raving, but essentially just trying to say I completely understand and I think most people would be lying to say they do not struggle with the same issue and with balance. I guess it's a matter of asking yourself if you're happy. If you aren't, I guess it's time to start asking yourself why and then trying to figure out who you really want to be and start working towards that.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've been trying to pare things down too lately. I'd gone crazy on Dermalogica (thought I needed a TON of products that I just HAD to use) ... now I've narrowed it down to the select few I like and have supplemented it with some PSF and Juice Beauty (so much for paring down Laughing ). It's so hard though because as soon as I hear a review as well ... I want to run out and try that one too! No wonder my skin never stops breaking out ... I keep switching things up. I keep thinking the next product is the one that will bring me fabulous results and I don't think I never let them really "do their thing" ... and give it a proper time.

I don't mind spending the money if I know it's on something that works and that I'm happy with. But I've spent alot on products I hoped would work but didn't. If I could just narrow it down to a routine that worked and I was happy with .. that would be great! I think what I need to do is just stick with what I have (and what's coming to me with the order I just placed last night Very Happy ).
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
LOL this of course applies to me. I am like a real junkie too...I keep how much I'm buying/spending online browsing/mixing DIY concoctions a secret from basically everyone outside EDS. My boyfriend commented how much time I had been spending on this site and so now if I hear him coming I minimize the window! Laughing
I have found a decent routine and some great products but like the rest of you, I am willing to try new things when I hear such good reviews! I think wow, I thought product X (that I already have) is good, I bet product Y (rave review for a product probably similar to something I already have) will be even better! Or...I see a coupon for 20% of and it makes a product I've been eyeing suddently more appealing. Wink

Now I have a closet full of good products and their similarly good counterparts. It's like the Isle of Misfit Toys in there! Poor things. Sad

I think it is also due in part to going so long using run of the mill products and then suddenly trying things that Actually Work...like a really good peel, or 02 serum, or seeing how vitamin C works that makes me keeping thinking there might be something else out there I'm missing out on!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
EDS has also turned me into a product junkie. I spend more on skincare and beauty than on anything else. Ok maybe except handbags. Laughing It's not good because i'm accumulating a shelf full of products that i've tried for a couple a days and moved on to new ones. Sigh.
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
DiverChick wrote:

Like you, I was never considered high maintenance. In fact, some labeled me "granola" which I thought was fine. I like jeans and a bandana. Then I entered the working world. Bandanas aren't accepted, and low and behold, you should do your hair and wear some makeup. It is unfortunate, but I notice the more formal, and even prettier men/women in my office and outside the office are treated better. That's reality.

That is awful...I really thought about what you wrote here and asked myself if I am, or anyone I've worked with has been like that. What I can admit though is that for the most part everyone gets a fair go in the end. Getting there, I can admit that I've made judgements about people on first site that I later felt guilty about and realised I was being superficial and mean (although as I get older I'm realising that everyone is different and am really appreciating the diversity around me).

Oh, nearly forgot, I am also a bit of an addict, but have had to curb it recently. I'm trying to change the way I've carried on with my purchasing for myself etc as I know I will pay for it later (literally), and need to show some responsibility. Since I've worked I've always had the attitude of "why not, I work hard, or I deserve it etc etc", but I never made any long term goals (financial or otherwise) and now I'm hoping I can do that without missing the boat on other things (like buying a house, or being in a position to have a family one day...)
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have a few rules. 1) Always finish up the products that I am currently using before buying or starting new ones EXCEPT when they don't work or they create more problems. 2)Have a facial only every change of season and resist products offered by beautician. 3) If I find a product that is working for me, stick with it, and don't try everything that's new because new doesn't alway mean better. 4) And have on your credit card a balance that you can pay off each month. It works for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
It is the same with me Wendy,I just have to say stand back from the cosmetics counter.
But, Shock there might be a sale.
I might be hopeless.
Good luck
Skincare addict
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Linnie wrote:
I have a few rules. 1) Always finish up the products that I am currently using before buying or starting new ones EXCEPT when they don't work or they create more problems. 2)Have a facial only every change of season and resist products offered by beautician. 3) If I find a product that is working for me, stick with it, and don't try everything that's new because new doesn't alway mean better. 4) And have on your credit card a balance that you can pay off each month. It works for me.

I would LOVE to be able to follow those same rules!!! That's what I would aspire to ... maybe one day. Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Wendy I hear you and am the same. I think it is most common for those of us who wore very little make-up and used very little products until middle age hit. Three years ago I was unhealthy and lloking older after a diet cleared my wrinkles and peolple started responding I just went crazy over products. Eventually I think we all find what works for us and can be more circumspect but when I see wrinkles disappear it is motivating.

P.S. DiverChick you are so right about appearance. I had not thought about it much but once I looked much better my technical work received much more funding and invitations. It shouldn't be this way but when you look older at least for a woman you don't get respect.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
PS: I think it is a learning curve to find what is best for you. I looked at the Favorite product thred and a bit over a year ago my favorites were completely different from now.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
My husband used to call me TOYOTA - Low Maintenance, High Milage. But last August Middle Age Crisis hit me over night and I went crazy. The only thing I cared was my skin. I spent so much time searching for the best products and reading reviews. I brought package(s) home every week. I felt so guilty but just could not stop!!! I spent at least 1 hour every night in my bathroom and kids knew to leave me alone during that time. My "collection" from 1 shoe box to 2, to 3, to 4,........ I felt sick about myself. Yes, my skin is getting better but that guilty feeling has been with me for about 9 months. My coversations with friends is always skin care but I never talked about it before, and all of my friends did not understand what happened to me. No, my husband did not have an affair. No, my husband did not mention anything about aging. Actually my friends always tell me I look about 5 to 10 years younger than my age. My "collections" can last me at least 3 years if not longer.

I'm getting better now. I stop buying about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My hubby and daughter are sharing my collections. My relatives are getting skin care products for their birthdays. I see it as a phase for my life. A very painful, expensive but fun (well, sometimes not that much fun.) phase. I wish I did not have to go through all of this but then, I believe there's a purpose for all phases in my life.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I too have become a product junkie. Before I would just search products through Department store brands and now I keep reading EDS and go for higher and higher end brands which means spending more and more money! My next order is around 400$ so you can see how bad it's become! I keep reading reviews and tell myself, "no, you don't need it, you can probably live without the O2 serum, you don't need vitamin C because you're still very young, AHAs are probably too strong for your skin right now, using AHAs means using sunscreen, no you don't need a 100$ cleanser, you cannot afford an eye gel for 150$, you still have products to use up, etc etc"

The bad thing about me is when I get new and better products I stop using my existing ones which all go to waste eventually (as they expire, etc) Sad

And all I've been talking to my BF about these days is EDS and skincare, it's a miracle he actually LISTENS AND RESPONDS! Shock

I started with MUA and now it's EDS ALL the time, I sleep super late because I'm constantly surfing EDS. But fortunately because I've been so undecided with my order I've procrastinated enough to be able to use the 20% off coupon promotion! Very Happy
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies ladies. Feels better knowing so many of us go through this.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Wendy and all other addicts (me included), I feel your pain, I too am afflicted with this disease, but you know it's kinda good disease to have as far as diseases go. It seems the older I get the more expensive the products and the more quantity I acquire. But I have found one cure for this afflication, it's called being POOR, LOL. My finances have decreasd over the past few years, so I've had to be more cautious about my spur of the moment purchases and go with mostly the basics. But it's so very hard!
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:28 am      Reply with quote
well, I can't say that I have regrets really b/c I discovered Obagi online, revive online,City Lips and HA caps, The JM eyelash serum OMG! and Rogaine to use on my brows. Who woulda thunk that one?? And I have had incrediible results with them all and would not have known about them if it weren't for these boards. Before that, I was blindly trying products from dept stores or even drug stores and I have had to throw out tubes, jars and bottles of wasted product. Ihave come to a point to where I ONLY have products that SHOW results. I have even taken pics to SHOW others the results so that they can feel better about taking my word for something.

You know I have really always liked pampering myself a little bit. I remember when I was a little girl, I would use my babysitting money and buy that Clairol CONDITION-you know it came in a tub- to deep condition my hair and it just made me feel a little prettier.

As some have said, it is just about finding balance and THAT is what I have to work on a little more.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
I aspire to be a skincare addict. Right now, I only allow myself to indulge in the reasonably priced DHC products, Proactiv is still a must, and most recently I purchased some Juice Beauty toner here from EDS (which, with all the incentives and forum gift wasn't all that expensive). I just feel too guilty about buying a lot of things since I don't have a mountain of cash to spend at this point in my life. In fact, last month I had my Proactiv, DHC, and Eds order all on one statement, so I've decided to wait until fall to order anything new! But, that isn't to say I won't be trolling all my haunts to find things I want!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Linnie wrote:
Always finish up the products that I am currently using before buying or starting new ones EXCEPT when they don't work or they create more problems.

I did this! I was so proud Laughing . I had a ton of skincare products to use up and spent about a year just reading all the reviews on here and not buying anything till I had used up my stash. Then, having got there (well, except for a few half-used eye creams, but I know I'm never going to win that particular battle, so I'm making hubby use those up instead) in just the last few weeks I got a ton of stuff from the Organic Pharmacy, Caudalie, IS Clinical, and now just ordered from Remergent Skin! So I now have enough skincare to last another couple of years and just need to work out how to fit it all into my routine Embarassed .
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
So we've assimilated you into the Remergent Collective, eh, fifi! Laughing

I love that stuff.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
majorb, I have told my credit card that you are now to blame for it's pain! Well - the most recent bit anyway Laughing .
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
With all the excellent DIY recipes on here, I believe I am actually saving money thanks to this site. Very Happy

Plus acquiring the motivation to use up a lot of the "weird food and ingredients" that were just sitting around in my cupboards, i.e, the Braggs, the kelp, the white tea leaves, the HA serum, the DMAE serum, etc.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I am the same way. I spend wayy too much on my outside appearance. I have a variety of creams and lotions for my body and face. I don't usually buy drug store brand items. I guess i have that idea that more expensive stuff equals better Confused
I just went through my make-up bag and estimated how much the total of all my products cost... and its something like $3000 for make-up alone.
Also I spend about $250 every 2.5 months to get my hair done nice.
I really have to stop, but i cant. When I look pretty, it makes me feel better about myself
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I know that everyone is going to call me an enabler but...............just wanted Wendy to know that the city lips is 40% off right now at the med-spastore. I was just there. Yes, I know..... I seem to be a product junkie too! Rolling Eyes
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I also want to mention I'm not only a skincare addict, I'm also an EDS ADDICT!!! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |