Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Castor Oil for eyelashes...does it really work??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Yes I know there are a lot of eyelashe threads/topics at the moment Razz But I really just wanted someone to please confirm once & for all if castor oil really does make your lashes thicker, longer, or better etc! I have always heard or read this statement, but wasn't sure if it's actually true or not.

Has anyone had good results after using castor oil?

TIA Very Happy
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
could not imagine anything making eyelashes longer where did you see or read this?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I believe it is a traditional method, a few Indian friends of mine remember it being used in their childhoods, but nothing scientifically proven (it would add little commercial value to the cosmetics industry I imagine)

I have used it around my hairline and on my eyebrows with decent results as I did not stick to it long term.

I am not sure if there are different grades of castor oil which would change its texture.. the type I have is cold pressed and it is extremely gooey (almost like glycerine).

Perhaps its a power combo of castor oil and other vitamins which would really make a difference?
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I think castor oil is good as a conditioning treatment--I use it in combination with Lucia Lash Essence. This is also usually one of the "secret" ingredients in most lash growth serums out there.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
After reading that most lash serums contain either castor oil/castor seed oil, I got a bottle and started putting it on my lashes and lashline before using Ardell at night. It only takes a minute, but I can never get myself to do it consistently to see if it actually works.

I'll try harder. Very Happy
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
i don't know what is cater oil,could anyone tell me? thanks
and i think olive oil is better for my eyelashe Smile
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if I recall correctly, CareKate will know for sure, but I thought I had read that most lash lengthening products contain castor oil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Yes I think most lash conditioners even mascaras contain castor oil. I just ordered a bottle of the stuff, so I'm hoping it actually works! Smile
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:14 am      Reply with quote
I use it - in fact, just started a few nights ago to add conditioning and boost the lash growing effects of Jan Marini.

So, far, it's working well but it's important to use cold-pressed (non-chemically processed) oil as the regular drug store kind can irritate. I found this to be the case when I stupidly ran out to get what was available after my one health food store ran out of natural castor. That went into the trash and I bought a new bottle from Mountain Rose Herbs.

It is not sticky at all as some have experienced though it is quite thick. Washes off easily and in all, I'm pleased and will report back w/updates.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Not sure if I recall correctly, CareKate will know for sure, but I thought I had read that most lash lengthening products contain castor oil.
Yes, nearly every single lash growth serum out there contains castor oil but they call it by it's scientific name on the labels, " Ricinus communis."

It really does work as a lash growth serum and conditioner -- my grandmother/great-grandmother's all used it to care for their lashes but as someone previously mentioned, it can be messy to use.

For best results, you should only use cold-pressed castor oil (the stuff you can buy in the laxative or first-aid aisle at the drugstore is most likely NOT cold-pressed) and apply a thin layer of it to your lashes with a clean mascara spooly-wand before bedtime.

If you would like a more "sophisticated" lash conditioner, check out my "Lash Gloss" recipe in the DIY Recipes sticky thread (note: the link hasn't been added to the index yet).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Lola Moroney wrote:
could not imagine anything making eyelashes longer where did you see or read this?
Suspend your skepticism for a moment and behold these threads!
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16302&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7544&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16561&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=carekate&start=0

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14532&highlight=jan+marini+age+intervention

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
If you would like a more "sophisticated" lash conditioner, check out my "Lash Gloss" recipe in the DIY Recipes sticky thread (note: the link hasn't been added to the index yet).

I made this on Saturday and love it! The only problem I had was cleaning out an old mascara bottle - what a pain but then i dumped an old Ardell and was in business. Smile Thanks, Carekate.

As for the castor oil, I apply it to both my lashes and brows right before bed. They seem to be thickening even more now. Crikey!

Now, awaiting my Panasonic heated curler with hands wringing for effect. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
carekate wrote:

The only problem I had was cleaning out an old mascara bottle - what a pain but then i dumped an old Ardell and was in business. Smile
Yeah, I TOTALLY agree with that! If you're gonna make the homemade lash gloss and you don't want to go to the bother of buying a new/clean mascara tube from an online retailer that sells cosmetic containers, you should DEFININTELY use an old Ardell/DreamLash/Mavala DoubleLash container instead of an actual old mascara tube because you'll be there for HOURS trying to clean all the old, gunky black mascara from the tube! Trust me on this.... Rolling Eyes

If you DO want to buy new mascara tubes for this in the future, here's a good place to order from: http://www.makingcosmetics.com/store/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d46.html&lmd=38730.568391

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
...you should DEFININTELY use an old Ardell/DreamLash/Mavala DoubleLash container instead of an actual old mascara tube because you'll be there for HOURS trying to clean all the old, gunky black mascara from the tube! Trust me on this.... Rolling Eyes

If you DO want to buy new mascara tubes for this in the future, here's a good place to order from: http://www.makingcosmetics.com/store/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d46.html&lmd=38730.568391

No need, ha! I attempted this foolish endeavor w/a SMALL size mascara tube and gave up after 20 minutes. Sometimes, I can be so dim for a normally smart girl. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the link!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
can someone please post thelink to the lash gloss recipe? thanks!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
tweety wrote:
can someone please post thelink to the lash gloss recipe? thanks!
It's at this link, but you'll have to scroll down toward the bottom of the page: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=500

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Here is the recipe:

What you need:
-------------------------------------
• clean bottle or jar with lid in which to prepare and mix lash gloss ingredients;
• clean mascara tube and spooly wand – if you have an old tube of mascara, just take it apart and wash the components with very hot water and anti-bacterial soap (you may wish to run it through the dishwasher by putting it in the silverware basket). If you don’t have an old tube you can use, go to the drugstore or supermarket and buy a tube of el cheapo mascara and clean it out instead;
• 3 Tbs distilled or purified water – you can usually find distilled water in the bottled water aisle at the supermarket for about 99¢ per gallon;
• 1/4 teaspoon Soy Lecithin powder – you can usually find this in the vitamin aisle at health food stores or online, be sure to check label to ensure it is 100% pure Lecithin powder without any added fillers;
• 1/4 teaspoon Germaben II preservative, optional – you can buy this fromwww.thepersonalformulator.com
• 5 drops castor oil (preferably cold-pressed);
• 3 drops jojoba oil;
• 2 drops Vitamin E oil;
• 1 1/2 teaspoons honey or dark molasses (or 3/4 tsp of each);
• tea strainer or small piece of cheesecloth – note: a piece of sterile surgical gauze can be used in an emergency
What you do:
--------------------------------
Pour the distilled water into the bottle and add Soy Lecithin powder, put lid on bottle and shake vigorously until powder has been completely dissolved. Next, take a small glass and stretch the tea strainer or cheesecloth across the mouth of glass and then pour soy Lecithin water through strainer into glass in order to remove the “scum” from Lecithin residue from the water. Rinse out your mixing bottle and then pour strained soy Lecithin water back in to mixing bottle.
Now, add the remaining ingredients to mixing bottle and shake vigorously until all oils have become emulsified with the soy Lecithin water and ingredients are completely blended. Then pour lash gloss mixture into your clean mascara tube and then fasten spooly wand-cap tightly. Place lid on leftover Lash Gloss mixture and store in refrigerator for up to 60 days.
How to use it:
----------------------------------
Shake tube well then apply Lash Gloss as you would any ordinary mascara. It will separate and define your lashes while at the same time imparting a look of glossy health. Unlike traditional colored mascara, however, you don’t have to worry about it flaking or smudging or leaving you with ‘raccoon eyes’ by the end of the day. It’s also easy to remove with your favorite facial cleanser and water. Unlike traditional mascaras, this lash gloss does not contain any harsh or drying ingredients to dry out or damage your lashes.
I’ve been using this in the daytime for the last week or so and I love it! It makes my blue/black tinted lashes look really dark and glossy and gorgeous – much better than all of the various brands of clear mascara I have tried...it’s also much healthier to my lashes than any clear or colored mascara.
The Lash Gloss helps hold the curl from my traditional clamp-style lash curlers, as well as my heated lash curlers, although the trick is to curl your lashes AFTER you’ve applied the lash gloss and allowed it to dry for a few minutes. You don’t need to worry that your lashes will stick to your lash curler and possibly be pulled out, as is the case when using a traditional lash curler after applying regular mascara, because the ingredients in the Lash Gloss act in the same manner as a non-stick cooking spray, thereby preventing your lashes from sticking to the plastic or metal components of your lash curler.

Pasted from <http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=500>

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Wow thanks so much for the tips Carekate & scalawaggirl! I have been using the castor oil for a few days now & I think it seems to working, but I know it will take a few months to see results!
Btw scalawaggirl your lashes look great! Shock
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Keep at it! My lashes are starting to curl just the slightest and are getting thicker (the hair seems fortified). It only takes me a second before bed and I'm really liking the effects combined with my Jan Marini.

Thanks, Safire! I'm telling you, that JM serum is amazing! The price is amazing, too, but Carekate's had a good point about stretching it out and then after 6 months, only using 2-3 times a week for maintenance so the price is not bad at all. Heck, I spent $60 on Lucia and didn't see anything much. JM's results are truly spectacular! I just wish the tube was clear so I could make sure never to run out. Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:11 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Keep at it! My lashes are starting to curl just the slightest and are getting thicker (the hair seems fortified). It only takes me a second before bed and I'm really liking the effects combined with my Jan Marini.

Thanks, Safire! I'm telling you, that JM serum is amazing! The price is amazing, too, but Carekate's had a good point about stretching it out and then after 6 months, only using 2-3 times a week for maintenance so the price is not bad at all. Heck, I spent $60 on Lucia and didn't see anything much. JM's results are truly spectacular! I just wish the tube was clear so I could make sure never to run out. Razz

I know the JM sounds amazing & I would definitely get it if I could, but unfortunately EDS doesn't ship it to Australia Sad & I'm too scared to get one off ebay after all the horrible stories I've heard about people receiving fake products lately! Confused
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
I use Ardell's in the A.M. and castor oil (cold pressed) at night. I think it works wonders. It helped fill in a spot where a tech doing an IPL had gotten too close to an eyebrow and singed it off. I cheekily suggested it Friday to my banker for his bald spot that has a very nice, but widening, comb-over. He politely replied that he just might try it. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Safire wrote:
scalawaggirl wrote:

I know the JM sounds amazing & I would definitely get it if I could, but unfortunately EDS doesn't ship it to Australia Sad & I'm too scared to get one off ebay after all the horrible stories I've heard about people receiving fake products lately! Confused

Once again, I repeat: I am willing to make custom purchases for overseas members unable to obtain certain products outside the U.S./N.America -- PM me to work out the details!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the lash gloss recipe!
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

What an incredible find -- thanks for the link, Carrie! You're amazing! I have no idea how you find these great resources, but I'm glad you do. I really appreciate your generosity in sharing them with us! Smile
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Any updates on how you ladies are liking the castor oil for eyelash growth?

Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |