Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Review/Rave!!!: Alima Cosmetics Mineral Foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
This is BY FAR the best MMU I have tried. I have tried: BE, JI, Loreal Bare Naturale, Physicians Formula, Neutrogena Mineral Sheers, Pure Luxe, and Everyday Minerals.
Some of you might remember my warning post a while back about Bismuth Oxychloride-a popular MMU ingredient being pore-clogging. After paring down my choices to those that did not contain bismuth, I tried to limit Mica as a primary ingredient as I felt this might also be contributing to blocked pores.

Full Size $18.95
30 g net volume jar/ approx. 9-10 g net weight

Sample Size $2.75

a small sample jar with 1/4 teaspoon of mineral foundation, enough to last approx. one week.

Ingredients
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77489).

Background:
As I mentioned, I have always been prone to blocked pores-typically just a few here or there and they drive me Crazy. I have noticed that them worsened A Lot over time since I started using MMUs. It was hard at first to narrow down MMU as the culprit because at first I don't notice anything strange and then several days or a couple of weeks into it I notice congestion in my pores. I Love the 'look' of MMU, but I was seriously getting to the point where I had decided it wasn't for me. As I last ditch effort, I decided to try Alima (although it does contain Mica, but as its 3rd ingredient, so not as much of a %).

I first use a primer, then tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation, then I mix the Foundation powder with some Jurlique Lavender silk powder and apply it just as a finishing powder, rather than a foundation. The result is the flawless finish of MMU without the weird fine lines some MMUs seem to create/accentuate. I have also used this As a foundation and it works extremely well, I just prefer to use it this way as I feel it gives a more polished finish.

Additionally, I have started really reincorporating fruit acids back into my routine. I feel like any type of foundation, especially mineral, kind of prevents your skin from 'breathing' or whatever, which leads to blocked pores/those skin bumps. AHAs/BHAs/fruit enzymes really help to dissolve whatever that stuff is that cause this for me. I think manual exfoliation is also important, but overdoing it stresses the skin and can lead to more problems. I have a Clarisonic and rather than using it daily I use it just a couple of times a week. I also Never use the Clarisonic when I have any type of MMU on my skin-I do a quick wash first so I'm not accidentally grinding minerals into my pores.

Anyway, since I have changed my routine around my skin is finally getting back to normal. It hasn't looked this good (bare) since...well, probably before I 'found' MMU. Embarassed I do have some post inflammatory marks from previous overzealous pore extractions, but the combination of exfoliation daily through AHAs/BHAs and the added few times a week of things like the Neutrogena Acne Mark Fading Peel/JB Green Apple Peel are helping to quickly fade them. Although since I have found a good balance of coverage that doesn't clog pores, I would say my face, once makeup has been applied, has a much more natural, flawless look to it than with just the'regular' makeup I had been using before.

Oh and just as an FYI...I knew Alima foundation didn't have mica as the primary ingredient (which is why I wanted to try it) and when I ordered foundation samples I ordered blush samples too. I just assumed the blush didn't have mica as the primary ingredient either. Well, over time I noticed I was having some congestion...but only in my cheek area. I stopped using the mineral blush and switched back to my favorite cream blush and that stopped happening. Anyway the other day I got my full size foundation powder and it came with a little pamphlet of all the ingredient breakdowns and sure enough, mica is the first ingredient of the blush.

The rest of my current routine:
I use a mild SA cleanser morning and night, followed by a SA gel toner, then AHA lotion, then regular moisturizer. After showers I massage in LA Vitton's cleansing oil to help clear my skin of any debris the AHA/BHA combo has loosened up.

If you are thinking of giving up on MMU, try Alima first! Smile
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
You are so right on the money with Alima - it's a lovely, lovely MMU. AFter much trial and error - and I've tried a bunch, I find that mica can't be a first ingredient for me either.

I love it as well. I also have the problem with mica - teeny bumps in the cheek area which I finally attributed to the blush as I don't have the bumps anywhere else. Such a shame b/c I love the colors of the blushes - but....I hate the little bumpies. I don't have this problem with Aromaleigh blushes - I'll have to go check and see if mica is the first ingredient...I do know there are different types of mica so maybe some effect me and some don't?

Great customer service at Alima too.

Maria Laughing

5% products discount

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
I love Alima too, it's my favorite out of the many mineral companies I've tried. My skin just feels and looks like silk with it on, has a really amazing finish. And the color range is impressive- if anybody's having trouble finding the right color match for them they need to go look at Alima's selection!
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Alima sounds tempting! I'm quite impressed with EDM but am willing to try other brands before purchasing full sizes. I've just had a look on the website and the colour range is huge! Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice re: which shade to try? In EDM I'm fairly light, and my MAC pressed powder is NW25?
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Me too - i need to know what color would be the same as BM or EM Medium Beige???
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:03 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Olyn"]
I first use a primer, then tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation, then I mix the Foundation powder with some Jurlique Lavender silk powder and apply it just as a finishing powder, rather than a foundation. The result is the flawless finish of MMU without the weird fine lines some MMUs seem to create/accentuate.

Olyn-
What tinted moisturizer do you find works best for you? I've had the same struggle with mica irritating my skin as well as bismuth of course. I have yet to find my HG of tinted moisturizers though.

Thanks!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:

Olyn-
What tinted moisturizer do you find works best for you? I've had the same struggle with mica irritating my skin as well as bismuth of course. I have yet to find my HG of tinted moisturizers though.

Thanks!

Right now I'm using one from Blisslabs called Skintwin, but that is currently the part of my routine I am in still looking into at finding other options. It is a good tinted moisturizer but nothing special. Let me know if you find your HG tinted moisturizer and I'll let you know as well!
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I really liked Alima too, but found that the staying power was problematic on my oilier bits (nose and forehead). It got rather messy and required a lot of touching up with blotting papers and finishing powder as the day wore on (this usually occured in the mid-afternoon). I've switched to EDM and like that much better for my combination skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Oh how I wish I could try Alima, but they don't ship to Canada! Sad I second you on the mica...EDM gave me the worst clogged pores because they use a lot of mica in their products...even the intensive formula is shiny. I've also cut back using the Clarisonic, because I suspect all that manual exfoliation expands my pores. Instead, have been having great success with PSF pumpkin enzyme peel.

Edit: they ship to Canada now!! *orders samples*
Moozie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Alima is one of my HG MMU foundations! Love it & customer service is outstanding...Kate is wonderful!! The eye shadows are a must to try too....gorgeous shades! They cost $1 to sample and do last a good little while.
Mabsy

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46 am      Reply with quote
*heads over to Alima to investigate and order samples Smile*
Moozie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
amylola wrote:
Me too - i need to know what color would be the same as BM or EM Medium Beige???

Hi!

I wear a mix of EDM beige neutral & light neutral (much less light neutral)...can also wear medium beige neutral.

In Alima, I wear N4 & N3 (much less N3). --So, those would most likely be very safe for you to sample and try out. Wink
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone who ordered samples is liking Alima so far! I am still extremely, extremely pleased with it...in fact, I am done trying new MMUs! Alima is my HG. If only I had tried/found out about it sooner....it would have saved me mega $$ a saved my skin a lot of stress.

Also, for anyone reading this that is new to mineral makeup...let me reiterate to Please avoid bismuth oxychloride (completely) and try to make sure mica is not high on the list of ingredients. They are pore-clogging/irritating in many individuals!
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
So Olyn...Alima has done the trick as far as not causing horrible little mica bumps/clogged pores on your skin? I did order samples a while back, but I ordered so many different MMU samples around the same time, I don't remember how my skin reacted to Alima in particular.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
So Olyn...Alima has done the trick as far as not causing horrible little mica bumps/clogged pores on your skin? I did order samples a while back, but I ordered so many different MMU samples around the same time, I don't remember how my skin reacted to Alima in particular.

YES!!! The difference has been amazing, please retry your samples!
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
YAY! Something that finally worked! Are you wearing it over a tinted moisturizer or alone at this point?
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
It depends on the day. I feel like when my skin feels more dry I like to use a tinted moisturizer, especially since the blush I use is a cream blush It seems to apply better on with better moisture.
On the weekends though all I do is apply it to any fading skin discolorations I want to cover up, then do a quick sweep of the Jurlique dust/Alima foundation blend and that's it. I have been thinking about 'making my own' tinted moisturizer by adding some of the powder to my regular moisturizer but haven't been that brave yet (why fix what's not broken, you know?).

I feel like I have a routine that is quick, relatively cheap, and definitely works for me.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
*heads over to Alima to investigate and order samples Smile*

Mabsy, we were probably online at the same time ordering samples! Can't wait to try this stuff! I'm using Senna right now and NOT loving it.

I'd heard such great things about Senna, so I decided to try it. First off, the Senna SA picked the WRONG color for me - good undertone, but too dark - and secondly, I HATE the metallic shine of this stuff! Third, I'm certain the Senna is what's doing a number on my pores! I've gotten zits in spots I don't normally get them, and I was suspecting the Senna MMU. Dang it, its too late to return it (they only give you 10 days) so it may go into the trash. I HATE the idea of doing that. Maybe I'll put it up on MUA as a swap?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Olyn,

In comparison to Pure Luxe (which is the brand I am using now) do you think the powder is much finer? I notice some Pure Luxe has serecite/kaolin in it which may be making my skin bone dry if I try to layer it.. But one hassle about the ALima is, they still charge $10 int'l shipping for samples Mad

TIA
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another rave for Alima MMU:

Alima is a high-quality, finely-milled, creamy MMU that comes in a wide range of shades that are categorized into bronze, golden, neutral, ebony, cool, warm and olive undertones. If you have the patience to try out samples, you will eventually hit the perfect shade. I ordered samples in G3, G4, G5, W3, W4, W5, since i'm of medium coloring with yellow undertones. For color reference, here's a pic of me wearing G4, which i initially thought was the perfect match, but i tried layering heavily and ended up looking jaundiced!
So the goldens are too yellow for me. W4 is perfect. It's almost as dark as G4 except slightly less yellow.

Lasting quality is superb- i'm oily and i only had to touch up once a day. One thing i really like about this is that it didn't fade or melt off throughout the day, unlike Lauress, and it didn't turn orange on me, unlike EM. But the thing i liked best is the fact that it doesn't irritate and clog my pores (BE, JI, Youngblood, EM, Lauress did), and the finish is amazing. I look poreless! The finish is not completely matte, but not as shiny as BE, giving me some radiance that i like.
Customer service is excellent. I ordered my samples a day after their 15% discount promotion ended but they sent me a cheque to reimburse me of my 15%. They also send extra free samples with every order.
I also have samples of their eyeshadows, which i didn't care for since they're too sheer for my liking, and i have to layer a lot to get them to show up on me, which leads to wastage. I like eyeshadows that are pigmented like MAC.
The only caveat i have about the foundation is that in close-up flash photography, there is a slight sheen, from the titanium dioxide as first ingredient i presume. Other than that i'm very happy and satisfied that i found the only MMU that works for me. It was a long painful road to finding out that my skin doesn't like bismuth or mica (mica is Alima's third ingredient). Anyone whose skin is similar should definitely give Alima a try.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird,

since I'm asian too I don't need anything with any yellow undertones so the one you're using may work for me also the W4. Do you use anything else from them like blushes or bronzers?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ariesxtreme, W4 is from the warm family, which does have yellow undertones. They're just not as yellow as the Golden family. I like this line because neither the warms or goldens have orange in them. I have yet to try their blushes or bronzers, but I ordered the full size blush in Guava (warm coral pink)...it is said to be the mineral version of Nars Orgasm. Luckily i have better luck at using blushes with mica as their first ingredient because I don't have enlarged pores on my cheeks (only T-zone), so they hardly get clogged. The blushes get great reviews on MUA, but not so their bronzers...colors seem to be a bit off. HTH!

Oh and i forgot to say: coverage is medium, which can be layered without caking up. While it doesn't totally conceal blemishes/scars (need a good concealer for that), it evens my skintone nicely.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Okay great..I don't need anything where the cover is heavy since I don't use anything right now at all. The blushes look really tempting though and really pretty colors. I need to stay away from anything orangy. I forget what color it was that I got a sample of from EM but it was way too orange for my skintone.

Thanks for the info!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Dollbird I am totally confused about the shading on their site, the colours all look cream/peach and beige to me, so I can only go by the verbal descriptions..

I think I have same skintone as you from the photo you posted, I have to wear yellow undertones, and can get away with yellow bases like Pure Luxe's banana split without looking jaundice! I don't know if you have used that shade before..
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Miranets, the warms/goldens are not peachy at all.
The color swatches on the website are not totally accurate. The goldens are more yellow in real life. The only difference between, say W1 and G1 is that G1 is a tad yellower and darker. I can actually wear both W4 and G4 but when i have to layer G4 for heavier coverage, it ends up looking too yellow. I'm sorry I haven't tried Pure Luxe so can't really give you a comparison. HTH!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |