Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review/Rave!!!: Alima Cosmetics Mineral Foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
This is BY FAR the best MMU I have tried. I have tried: BE, JI, Loreal Bare Naturale, Physicians Formula, Neutrogena Mineral Sheers, Pure Luxe, and Everyday Minerals.
Some of you might remember my warning post a while back about Bismuth Oxychloride-a popular MMU ingredient being pore-clogging. After paring down my choices to those that did not contain bismuth, I tried to limit Mica as a primary ingredient as I felt this might also be contributing to blocked pores.

Full Size $18.95
30 g net volume jar/ approx. 9-10 g net weight

Sample Size $2.75

a small sample jar with 1/4 teaspoon of mineral foundation, enough to last approx. one week.

Ingredients
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77489).

Background:
As I mentioned, I have always been prone to blocked pores-typically just a few here or there and they drive me Crazy. I have noticed that them worsened A Lot over time since I started using MMUs. It was hard at first to narrow down MMU as the culprit because at first I don't notice anything strange and then several days or a couple of weeks into it I notice congestion in my pores. I Love the 'look' of MMU, but I was seriously getting to the point where I had decided it wasn't for me. As I last ditch effort, I decided to try Alima (although it does contain Mica, but as its 3rd ingredient, so not as much of a %).

I first use a primer, then tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation, then I mix the Foundation powder with some Jurlique Lavender silk powder and apply it just as a finishing powder, rather than a foundation. The result is the flawless finish of MMU without the weird fine lines some MMUs seem to create/accentuate. I have also used this As a foundation and it works extremely well, I just prefer to use it this way as I feel it gives a more polished finish.

Additionally, I have started really reincorporating fruit acids back into my routine. I feel like any type of foundation, especially mineral, kind of prevents your skin from 'breathing' or whatever, which leads to blocked pores/those skin bumps. AHAs/BHAs/fruit enzymes really help to dissolve whatever that stuff is that cause this for me. I think manual exfoliation is also important, but overdoing it stresses the skin and can lead to more problems. I have a Clarisonic and rather than using it daily I use it just a couple of times a week. I also Never use the Clarisonic when I have any type of MMU on my skin-I do a quick wash first so I'm not accidentally grinding minerals into my pores.

Anyway, since I have changed my routine around my skin is finally getting back to normal. It hasn't looked this good (bare) since...well, probably before I 'found' MMU. Embarassed I do have some post inflammatory marks from previous overzealous pore extractions, but the combination of exfoliation daily through AHAs/BHAs and the added few times a week of things like the Neutrogena Acne Mark Fading Peel/JB Green Apple Peel are helping to quickly fade them. Although since I have found a good balance of coverage that doesn't clog pores, I would say my face, once makeup has been applied, has a much more natural, flawless look to it than with just the'regular' makeup I had been using before.

Oh and just as an FYI...I knew Alima foundation didn't have mica as the primary ingredient (which is why I wanted to try it) and when I ordered foundation samples I ordered blush samples too. I just assumed the blush didn't have mica as the primary ingredient either. Well, over time I noticed I was having some congestion...but only in my cheek area. I stopped using the mineral blush and switched back to my favorite cream blush and that stopped happening. Anyway the other day I got my full size foundation powder and it came with a little pamphlet of all the ingredient breakdowns and sure enough, mica is the first ingredient of the blush.

The rest of my current routine:
I use a mild SA cleanser morning and night, followed by a SA gel toner, then AHA lotion, then regular moisturizer. After showers I massage in LA Vitton's cleansing oil to help clear my skin of any debris the AHA/BHA combo has loosened up.

If you are thinking of giving up on MMU, try Alima first! Smile
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I got my samples today and I tried it out. One word of advice on samples - they are darker than the pictures show! I ordered N1, N2, W1, W2 and G1 and received O1, Bisque Blush and Carnation Blush as extras. I tried them on my hand with a concealer brush first to see whether the colours would be too light or dark for me. I realized O1 was actually the best match and I didn't even order it! N2 and W2 both work for me as well but N2 was a bit too pink and W2 was a bit too yellow so in the end O1 blended best on my face. I didn't even both trying G1 - it is SOOO yellow and for sure I'll look sick or like I just barfed or something. I think they also made a mistake with the blushes because both colours look like Bisque.
Here is a picture of all the samples to show truer colours than the Alima site:
In order on the top is N1, W1, G1 and Bisque.
On the bottom is N2, W2, O1, and Carnation.

As you can see N1 is only a bit lighter than N2. G1 is SUPER yellow and the blushes look the same. O1 in my picture is much more neutral than O1 on the Alima site which shows a warmer tone. O1 is only a hint darker than W2 but on the site O1 looks quite a bit darker. Basically I think all the colors on the bottom row are of the same shades with different undertones. O1 to me looks like a neutral version of W2 while N2 to me has slight pink undertones. The blushes also look nothing like they do on the website.

N1 reminds of Fair in EDM. I've been using a mix of Golden Fair and Fairly Light in EDM (intensive formula). I find that EDM just sort of sits on top of my face and doesn't sink in unless I start to secrete huge amounts of oil (like if I take a nap for 3-4 hrs and my face is releasing its toxins and oils). I tried Alima today and it's slightly better than EDM in terms of sinking in but I still find it sits on my face. However I didn't use primer or moisturizer underneath - I'm sure it'll be better if I slather some cream on my face beforehand. Will do more experimenting and update in terms of this. EDM at times may accentuate my pores (however it's not consistent, sometimes it doesn't) however Alima does not do this. However Alima does stick to the dry patches of my face. Alima sinks in better after spritzing and generally adheres to my skin moreso than EDM in the sense that it's hard to rub Alima off once it's on. In terms of coverage Alima is definitely comparable to EDM's intensive formula although I'd have to say EDM wins but a nudge. I also prefer the finish of Alima as I like a more matte foundation, I find this more matte than EDM matte and intensive formulas but not dull matte as the Titanium Dioxide still provides a sheen. Alima also controls my oil way better than EDM's formulas.

I'm very interested in hearing whether people have tried Alima's Illuminating Shimmer Powder. I dislike getting samples in plastic baggies so I haven't ordered any and now I'm afraid to try the full size from looking at the swatches because I now know they are far from accurate. Would also love to hear feedback on the Shimmer Blushes.
System
Automatic Message
Wed May 15, 2024 3:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |