Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Scariest movies of all time??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
In the spirit of Halloween I thought I'd make this thread. I LOVE LOVE scary movies since I could remember. Let's compile a list of them for fun!

The Shining
The Exorcist
The Sixth Sense

5% products discount

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Ooh you got me thinking. I'm a big horror movie buff! I'll add:

The Ring
Alien
Halloween (of course!)
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Great thread!!! Here are the scariest movies I've ever seen:
The Ring
Alien
Jeepers Creepers
The Descent (This one had me screaming like a little girl-- it's a must-see, ladies!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
A few of my faves:

Fire in the Sky
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Shining
Signs (aliens freak me out)
Watcher in the Woods (Disney of all things!)
Poltergeist
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I get scared very easily.

The Shining
IT
The Ring (Japanese version)
The Sixth Sense
The Skeleton Key (yup, that one scared me too)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
The Ring
The Exorcist
Trilogy of Terror (the segment with the little doll that runs around the house with the knife. I didn't sleep with my arm draped over my bed for years after seeing that movie - I always thought he was under my bed with his knife!!!)

Maria Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I feel lame because no one said the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre! That movie scared the hell out of me and I can't really watch scary stuff anymore.

I think it's movies with graphic, senseless killing that bother me. I thought Gothica was scary until the end when it all made sense, but Chainsaw Massacre was just gross, especially when Leatherface put that guy's face on and chased Jessica Biel around....

The new one is supposed to "explain" everything, maybe I need to see it to get over it..... Laughing
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
The Ring <--- soooo scary
IT <--- mentally scarred me

And anything with ghosts gets me. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:09 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE scary movies!!!!!!!!! I haven't been scared in a long time.....I remember Children of the Corn and NightBreed.....I watched those again a few yrs ago and I laugh now, but at that time...they were scary.......lol! Oh! CandyMan (was that the name?)
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:18 am      Reply with quote
Blair Witch Project
The Shining
Alien
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
This is lame, but when I was a kid..the Nightmare on Elm Streets were scary to me. Ah and Candyman.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:33 am      Reply with quote
The Grudge (usually I prefer the original version, but I found the US version scarier in this case)
Ring (Japanese version)
The Vanishing (original version)
Aliens
The Shining
Children of the Corn
The Wicker Man (original version)
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 am      Reply with quote
The Shining (with Jack Nickelson) was the scariest I've ever seen. It wasn't so bad watching the movie, but it bothered me after the fact. I can still see his demonic looking eyes from the end of the show.
Moozie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I love scary and suspense movies too! They are more freaky to me than scary...

The Boogeyman
White Noise
Silent Hill
Texas Chainsaw Masecre (new version)
The Hills Have Eyes
The Ring 1 & 2(first one especially)
SAW I & II
The Grudge
Ring Around The Rosie
The Amityville Horror (new version)
Darkness

...all I can think of now, that had me a little on edge. lol
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree with my sushi secret...remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre...everything went wrong....the pple were in a small town and everyone was crazy...scary for me, because I can imagine it happening!!!! My sister lives in a small town on a mountain....those pple frighten me....lol!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
I saw "Psycho" when I was a little girl. It was so scary, my girlfriend and I stayed to watch it again because we screamed and closed our eyes so much the first time. I don't think our parents realized what film was at the theater. That was the last slasher movie I ever paid to see. I take it back -- my husband and I went to see Psycho II and laughed through most of it (under the influence if I remember correctly). When Anthony Perkins said he didn't keep "c-c-cutlery" in the house, we had tears rolling down our eyes. And when he whacked his mother at the end, we had a hard time controlling ourselves. Unworthy sequel.

I also saw "The Haunting" with Julie Harris when I was little. It freaked me out too. That pounding noise gave me goose bumps and made my heart nearly stop beating. Well-done, and without the benefit of elaborate special-effects we see in films today.

"The Exorcist" was of course another. My roommate at the time (Linda Blair's first cousin) was freaking me out because she was becoming a religious fanatic and was convinced the devil was going to reveal himself to her. I just hoped it wouldn't happen in our [big, old, gothic] apartment. She told me she was getting strange calls that sounded like chanting. I became seriously sleep-deprived during this period in my life.

"The Shining" totally freaked me out -- and I was a mature adult by then. The music alone was frightening. A few years ago, we were staying at the Timberline Lodge in Oregon where some of the exterior shots of the hotel were filmed. I bought a pin in the gift shop that has Jack Nicholson's face on it as he was saying "Here's Johnny!".

In recent years, "The Sixth Sense" gave me the creeps. When Bruce Willis turned up the volume on his recorder and heard those strange, ghostly voices, I was paralyzed with fear. And I was totally thrown by the twist at the end -- didn't see it coming at all.

And one that hasn't been mentioned yet is "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. Those portraits she found of dead people still haunt me, and the gruesome truth of the story was utterly disturbing.

I guess I prefer scary films that portray paranormal-type events rather than psychotic ones. Although I have to admit I enjoyed "Jennifer 8" with Andy Garcia and Uma Thurman. But slasher films don't generally have such fine actors in them.

Now I'll be up all night trying to think of more.

Oops, thought of another -- "Stir of Echoes" with Kevin Bacon. Check it out.
xzou
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
I read an article somewhere saying Japanese scary movies are scraiest.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:30 am      Reply with quote
I agree with M.April re finding the storyline of The Others disturbing. Another storyline that really disturbed me and still does was 8 mm with Nicholas Cage.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:33 am      Reply with quote
OMG..............forgot about The Others...GREAT MOVIE...good twist and that little girl was scary!!
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
I have to agree with my sushi secret...remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre...everything went wrong....the pple were in a small town and everyone was crazy...scary for me, because I can imagine it happening!!!! My sister lives in a small town on a mountain....those pple frighten me....lol!

I went to school in a small town on a mountain! I went to a party after I saw the movie and was scared to walk to my car because I was convinced "he" was hiding in the trailer across the street.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
I saw "Psycho" when I was a little girl. It was so scary, my girlfriend and I stayed to watch it again because we screamed and closed our eyes so much the first time. I don't think our parents realized what film was at the theater. That was the last slasher movie I ever paid to see. I take it back -- my husband and I went to see Psycho II and laughed through most of it (under the influence if I remember correctly). When Anthony Perkins said he didn't keep "c-c-cutlery" in the house, we had tears rolling down our eyes. And when he whacked his mother at the end, we had a hard time controlling ourselves. Unworthy sequel.

I also saw "The Haunting" with Julie Harris when I was little. It freaked me out too. That pounding noise gave me goose bumps and made my heart nearly stop beating. Well-done, and without the benefit of elaborate special-effects we see in films today.

"The Exorcist" was of course another. My roommate at the time (Linda Blair's first cousin) was freaking me out because she was becoming a religious fanatic and was convinced the devil was going to reveal himself to her. I just hoped it wouldn't happen in our [big, old, gothic] apartment. She told me she was getting strange calls that sounded like chanting. I became seriously sleep-deprived during this period in my life.

"The Shining" totally freaked me out -- and I was a mature adult by then. The music alone was frightening. A few years ago, we were staying at the Timberline Lodge in Oregon where some of the exterior shots of the hotel were filmed. I bought a pin in the gift shop that has Jack Nicholson's face on it as he was saying "Here's Johnny!".

In recent years, "The Sixth Sense" gave me the creeps. When Bruce Willis turned up the volume on his recorder and heard those strange, ghostly voices, I was paralyzed with fear. And I was totally thrown by the twist at the end -- didn't see it coming at all.

And one that hasn't been mentioned yet is "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. Those portraits she found of dead people still haunt me, and the gruesome truth of the story was utterly disturbing.

I guess I prefer scary films that portray paranormal-type events rather than psychotic ones. Although I have to admit I enjoyed "Jennifer 8" with Andy Garcia and Uma Thurman. But slasher films don't generally have such fine actors in them.

Now I'll be up all night trying to think of more.

Oops, thought of another -- "Stir of Echoes" with Kevin Bacon. Check it out.

This thread just reminds me of how many horror type movies I have in my collection. "Psycho" and "The Haunting" are so good because of what they don't show, but leave to our imaginations. With the popularity of movies like "Hostel" it seems that blood and gore are in and the dread of something unknown is out.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Anyone going to go see The Grudge 2 this friday?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Rufus, I couldn't agree with you more. I suppose it has something to say about the way times have changed that audiences are shocked and titillated more by films that portray acts of inhumanity, rather than what's inexplicably un-human. We worry more these days about the weirdo next door than ghosts in the attic.

I think "Psycho" is such a seminal film because it went farther than before in it's depiction of violence. But Hitchcock was a masterful story-teller and didn't leave it at that -- besides his other tricks of the trade, he evoked a performance from Anthony Perkins that was so brilliant it basically ruined his robust career from that point on. I'm hard-pressed to think of a psychopath in filmdom as chilling as Norman Bates. He's the Godfather of all slashers, but his progeny pale in comparison.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Rufus, I couldn't agree with you more. I suppose it has something to say about the way times have changed that audiences are shocked and titillated more by films that portray acts of inhumanity, rather than what's inexplicably un-human. We worry more these days about the weirdo next door than ghosts in the attic.

I think "Psycho" is such a seminal film because it went farther than before in it's depiction of violence. But Hitchcock was a masterful story-teller and didn't leave it at that -- besides his other tricks of the trade, he evoked a performance from Anthony Perkins that was so brilliant it basically ruined his robust career from that point on. I'm hard-pressed to think of a psychopath in filmdom as chilling as Norman Bates. He's the Godfather of all slashers, but his progeny pale in comparison.

It would be hard to romanticize the character of Norman Bates opposed to the more recent Hannibal Lecter. Norman Bates was odd but a pleasant type of guy a bit attached to his mom (who was to know she was just a shell of her former self). I found Norman Bates all about being powerless unlike the cunning Lecter. Norman is a bit more like reality than the bigger than anything Lecter.

I've got a copy of the original and the remake of 'The Hills have Eyes' just to see how that genre had evolved over the years. At least the fellows who made the recent release made one root for the family instead of the radiation poisoned strangers. But I still hope that we can get some movies that can chill instead of offer a theme park ride of gore.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
You're reading my mind -- I thought of Hannibal Lecter as I wrote my last remark. I guess I'm the odd man out for preferring Brian Cox's portrayal in "Manhunter" than Anthony Hopkins' Lecter in all of the others. Mr. Hopkins seems too theatrical to be insidiously sinister. You're right about Norman seeming more "real". That's what scares me!!!

There were some really scary TV shows when I was a kid. Besides "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", "Twilight Zone" and "Outer Limits", there was also a show called "Thriller" (hosted by Boris Karloff!) that I loved. But one other that stood out was called, "One Step Beyond". It was supposedly based on true stories of the supernatural -- very creepy. Thinking back, this seems like an awful lot of eerie TV shows, so I guess there was an appetite for it.

I hate to sound Puritanical, but I agree that films (and games) today are too gory. It's not a stretch for me to believe this inures and de-sensitizes viewers to brutality, blood and the true horror of inflicting violence.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |