Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
The Pill is EVIL!!! Don't take it for your skin!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Some of you may recognize me from the hormonal chin acne post, so this is along the same lines. I realise that some may strongly disagree with my stance, but i would just like to tell my story and experience with the BCP. I was on Alesse and Marvelon for a period of 2 years. I quit because of weight gain, hair loss, anxiety and the occasional shortness of breath, all which i can't attribute to other health problems as I eat well, exercise, take supplements and maintain a low percentage of body fat. Note that all these symptoms gradually subsided once i have quit the pill. I feel healthier now than ever. I have quit almost 3 months ago, because I heard about post-pill amenorrhea from the people close to me, ie my boyfriend's sister, several close friends. Amenorrhea means lack of periods. My boyfriend's sister was on the pill for 7 years and has quit for 2 years, and has NOT gotten a single period since. Sure the doctor tells you that your cycle should resume normally once you quit but i realise now that it is a lot of bullcr@p. Doctors nowadays push to prescribe the pill like it's candy....as a solution to everything from acne to menses regulation. When i went to my doctor about post-pill hormone issues, she made me feel like i was alone in this in the world. She told me that my acne flareups from stopping the pill were out of the norm. Not so. I went on extensive research about how people were feeling post-pill and the verdict is that these synthetic hormones are NO GOOD for your body. Since you supply your body with fake estrogen everyday, this signals the pituitary glands to stop producing natural estrogen. What happens to lots of women is that their glands have "forgotten" how to produce sufficient estrogen to induce ovulation. That's where a lot of post-pill infertility cases stem from. I myself have been fortunate to get my periods regularly the first 2.5 months i have quit, but the pill has ravaged my skin, resulting in a warzone of big painful red cysts on my chin, sometimes 6 at a time. Prior to the pill, my skin was SPOTLESS, even around that time of the month. I guess you could say i have good genes. Well, HAD anyway. The bad acne on my chin has gotten me down a lot, to the point where i don't go out in public if i could help it. My self-esteem has taken a beating because of this, and while it is so tempting to go back on the pill to clear it all up, i will never do so, since i would have to come off it again someday when i want kids, and i would not want to suffer from more acne when i'm older. I'm positive my cystic chin acne is from a hormonal imbalance. I have not altered anything in my skincare regimen, eating habits or stress levels (ok maybe the acne is giving me more stress). Even if I did, i would get acne on other parts of my face, as opposed to it only being localized on my chin. The rest of my face is clear. Sure, you would think the pill has many benefits, but ladies, there ARE other forms of birth control, those that don't entail pumping synthetic hormones into your system for prolonged periods of time. If you shun the idea of people taking steroids, how is this not the same? If you don't think i'm convincing enough, go to
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=263
and post-pill forum http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/307.html, or even type up post-pill amenorrhea in Google. If my story doesn't scare you, all the horror stories from these countless women will. I guess i'm "fortunate" in that i only get acne as one of the side effects of quitting. Other women get depression, severe mood swings, and other intense withdrawal symptoms. If you're thinking of going on BCP, don't, and if you're taking it right now, think about your health once you have to stop taking it. I so regret taking the BCP two years ago. I should have done more research about it back then. I would give anything to reverse the damage it has done on my skin. I hope you would give this some thought.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for posting dollbird! i really appreciate the post and all the new info i just learned from this post. for a while i thought i was just paraniod or something about how bad the pill was.. i think it has messed up my system too. my complexion is hit and miss with pill type.. but since being on it (since the beginning of the year, although i have been on it for about 6 7 years before i took a break from it). i gained 10lbs and got bad complexion and severe mood swings.. and some lower self esteem because of the bad complexion and weight gain from the damn pill to begin with Sad about the doctors thing.. my doctor is ilke that too.. every time i bring up a concern, she shrugs it off and makes me feel like i am ridiculous or insane for even questioning her or bringing up concerns to her in the first place --but i think that anyone who is YOUNG and LOOKS healthy the doctor will shrug off as "healthy" and expect you to not have any health problems at all. i think now adays a lot of doctors are like.... egotastic! they have too much ego or closed mindedness or abuse their level of authority or whatever u want to call it -- i mean like i (or we) research health concerns as they relate to what we take and how our body reacts.. and if we have a concern they get offended because they are the experts and we are not. i was brought up learning that doctors do (or are suppost to) look out for your health and best interest.. but these last few years have seriously busted my bubble on that.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh. Of course I second most of this, however it does open up the proverbial can of worms. Unfortunately (as I have posted previously about this) I do/did suffer from many of the side effects of quitting the pill/depo.

I will say that I am glad that hormonal methods do work for many women in preventing unwanted pregnancy, regulating cycles, helping with endometriosis, etc etc. However, I do feel like at the time I went on hormonal methods I did not realize what I was getting myself into concerning the possibility of side effects both during and after the pill/depo. I did not realize how common they were, did not realize the toll it would take on my skin, did not realize I would be constantly wondering when (if ever) my periods will eventually return. I do not know if I will want to have children in the future, but I certainly did not realize that the choice may be out of my hands completely.

That said, I do feel like the pill etc are effective methods for many women. I just wish there would be more research/emphasis presented on the multitude and prevalence of side effects, so that we all know what we are getting ourselves into by incorporating hormonal methods. Signs to look for, things like that. For a long time when I was still on bcps I suffered depression, mood swings, and many other things and went on for quite some time without realizing that these were side effects of the pill.

I honestly thought for quite some time that I was just overstressed and anxious from the pressures of college...my sometimes irrational moods were caused by not getting enough sleep, things like that. I dismissed all of these things that had somehow incorporated themselves into my daily life and truly had no inkling that these were not 'normal' for me because I got so used to them.

I don't know what the solution is here. On one hand, I don't want to scare anyone away from the pill because it does have a lot of 'pluses' for many people. Many women do not have side effects. It is a very effective method of preventing unwanted pregnancy, which is a very liberating thing for us women, obviously. However, I also want women to be aware of how common the side effects are, especially post-pill. And, for most people I talk to, things don't just stop when you stop taking it and magically everything gets better. (Many things do, but it takes time). I worry all the time that I have ruined so much of my natural balance. I worry I will never be able to have children. I worry for all of the women that are suffering especially from the depression that is often caused by the pill and do not realize that it is something that can be prevented.

And I wonder. How about birth control for Men??? I would personally donate my own money into research for that! Bad Grin
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
When I went away to college I went to health services to get a prescription for Ortho-Tri, they'll seriously give it to anyone. Since it's only $5 a month, it seems like everyone's on it, and it's usually for skin or regulating their period.

After I learned more about it, I stopped taking it until I actually needed it for birth control.

Seasonale(sp?) is so creepy to me, my mom explained that your body goes into a "false pregnancy mode" and that's why you only get it 4 times a year!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
actually, any pill puts you in "false pregnancy mode." Seasonale works because you go off the hormones only 4 times a year (rather than once a month).

But essentially...every BCP tricks the body into thinking you are pregnant, because of the hormone levels.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
i cant understand when most doctors take it personally if you show even a shred of doubt/concern regarding the pill....and boast for it to be the perfect solution for almost everything. they will shrug off all side effects during or after the pills as if all the side-effect sufferer are plain ridiculous....and from what i see and hear there are plenty of them....I dont get it.

FYI..I took BCP for aroung 7-8 months and didnt suffer from any side effects and my skin cleared up....once I went off it, I broke out quite bad. and I totally understand all this happening since our bodies are thrown off the balance but ADMIT IT, for heaven's sake!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think side effects depend on each individual. Alesse is already supposed to be one of the most lightest BCPs out on the market and also part of the ones with the least side effects. I'm currently on it and have been on it for 1.5 years. My period has always been regular since my 1st and it's even more regular now on Alesse - it comes the same DAY of the week every month as it is supposed to, I don't think you can get more regular than that. Some say BCP is supposed to improve skin but it hasn't for me - nothing has changed in that aspect. I have not had weight gain but I have gotten SLIGHTLY more bloated - but nothing enough for me to worry about. It's also due to lack of exercise in my part - when I was in HK for vacation with LOADS of walking I slimmed back down. So basically apart from the bloating I have not had any side effects. I have a close friend on Tricyclen (which in my opinion isn't a very good BCP as it probably has loads of side effects) but she said she won't be without it because it regulates her period very well. It's unfortunate BCP didn't work out for you but I think it depends on the individual. I don't doubt I will experience side effects when I go off it but I don't think I will anytime soon. My doctor prescribed Alesse for me because he feels it's the one with the least side effects. I even asked him about other types but he said this one was the best - I've been with the same doctor since I was 6 and he's great and knows my medical history the best and refers me to the best doctors possible. So I trust him on this and it really has worked well for me. But then again I think I will take about a year off the pill when I move next year and my bf's not meeting me until a year later. It's not good for your body generally to take BCP for a long period of time. I went on BCP for the main purpose of BC and not for anything else. I wouldn't agree to people going on it for the sake of skincare/regulating their period. I know of other hormone pills that derms recommend for skincare that's not BCP.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
i am married and i never took a pills in my life. right now i am planning to get pregnant, but even if i am not, i will never take pills because i heard a lot about side effect on it.
sweetreat
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing this... I've only taken it for a month and already the side effects were scarying me away!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Eh, I don't think women should automatically be terrified into straying away from the Pill just because of a post like this. We're all different, different body types, different hormone levels, different stages of life. Some of us take to a certain pills that spells disaster for another woman.

I've been on the pill for almost three years and haven't noticed any life shattering side effects. I'm a healthy, thin weight, I have no skin problems and no abnormal period problems to speak of (though they still suuuuck). It's my responsibility to make sure that what I'm putting into my body, is healthy. It's my doctor's reponsibility to help me in this regard. Just curious, for those of you who stopped taking the pill, do you do so on the advice of your doctor?

Sometimes a woman has to "experiment" with different forms of oral contreception to see which one is best suited for her body and lifestyle. Side effects are most certainly not unheard of. This does not mean that birth control pills are teh evil or anything like that. It just means maybe it isn't something for you.
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I can be another voice who didn't really have problems being on the pill... I was on the pill for almost 20 (that's right - twenty) years - one form of Ortho-Novum or another. I started when I was 17 & stopped when I was 39 with a 2 yr break in my late 20's - just long enough to get a whopping case of endometriosis.

I never really gained weight because of it - 5 lbs right after I started that went away with a little exercise. Nor did my skin change, better or worse, and my hair got thicker if anything. The drugs I had to take for the endometriosis, on the other hand, messed me up good. I was basically in chemically induced menopause for 9 months at 28 - I gained weight (30+ lbs!), had hot flashes, had an unbelievable appetite, couldn't sleep, got moody to the point where my co-workers would "feel me out" before discussing anything important. It took me a LONG time to feel anywhere near "normal" after that and I never did lose all the weight (docs kept saying it would all come off when I went off the Danazol).

After I turned 35, my blood pressure was inching up a bit every year, and after I (finally!) got married at 39, I went off the pill to see if by chance I might be able to conceive (between my age & the endo, I didn't have much hope). My blood pressure dropped a bit at that point - so I'm guessing that the pill had been affecting my blood pressure, but not to scary levels.

I'm back on the pill now at 47 for a short time while we try to get my hormones under control. I'm perimenopausal, but not enough to take estrogen replacement yet (that's coming, no doubt). I was having horrible hot flashes almost hourly - felt like I hadn't slept in at least two months when I went to the doctor last winter. OTC remedies didn't touch the symptoms and I thought I was losing my mind. This time the pill hasn't affected my blood pressure, although I am on medicine for it now (but it still isn't horrible, just higher than the doc wants it). We're talking hysterectomy now, for fibroids and endo problems, but that's another post...
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I also wish I had never taken the pill. Most of the brands I tried were not terrible while I was on them, although there was one that made me break out horribly, one that wreaked havoc with my emotions, and another that killed my sex drive. I took them for a few years, maybe about 4. After I stopped taking it I developed melasma (hyperpigmentation). It started just above my upper lip, and I thought that if I stayed out of the sun it wouldn't get any worse. But it's been spreading consistently since it first appeared 4 years ago. I also have it on my forehead and each cheek now. It doesn't matter if I'm in the sun or not. I've gotten to a point that I accept it, I'm not trying to treat it with a bunch of harsh products (been there, done that). My skin is clear and smooth, in good condition, but I can never go without makeup, because my spots are very prominent.
I know this is due to the pill. My mom is a sun worshipper and does not have any hyperpigmentation at all. I just wish I had known the possible side effects before taking the pill, but doctors do not discuss them with you at all. I'd like to be able to make an informed decision before taking something that could possibly have such a permanent side effect. I took the pill just for a few years, but the spots are with me for life.
NikkiS

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I used Ortho Evra and I developed what doctors called Melasma above my upper lip. It is a dark area of skin that looks really bad if I dont use makeup to cover it. My doctor NEVER told me about this side effect and I think most girls do not know about it either!!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've taken a low dose BCP, Levlite (generic of Alesse) for around 5 years and the side effects are positive for me.

No weight gain...regularized my otherwise crazy periods and lightened them (almost ended up in the ER because of excessive bleeding before BCP).

You have to experiment...some totally don't work for some people...with mood swings, weight gain, etc.

Just because one brand doesn't work for you, doesn't mean another one won't. But then again, many women hate taking a pill everyday and do other things.

To each her own. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:21 am      Reply with quote
catmcall wrote:
We're talking hysterectomy now, for fibroids and endo problems, but that's another post...

I'm really sorry to hear that catmcall. The same thing happened to my mom when I was in high school. She ended up having a full hysterectomy and had to deal w/awful hot flashes for awhile afterward before she could start estrogen therapy. I'm just waiting for it to happen to me eventually . Sad
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Its funny how we all have different reactions to the Pill, isn't it?

I was on BCP for just about 7 years. I started With OTC, then for the last 3 years (of the years that I was on it), went on Alesse.

I didn't notice it at the time, but I had gained so much weight. I went on the Pill for BC. I didn't have any problems with skin. The added bonus for me was that my periods the same day each month and I could time it ~ it was spooky! Each Saturday of the month at 10am. How weird is that?

Anyway, when I went off it in January, I immediately began shedding pounds left and right! I had lost so much of the weight that I had gained during those 7 years and my clothes were SOOOO loose. It was great! I really started to feel more like myself at that point. Slowly, my skin started to break out. I realized that it was because I was coming off the pill and tried to give my body time to readjust. Well...it never did readjust to it, and I am still battling pimples/acne.

Now that I am pregnant (for those of you know, it was planned!), my body is again readjusting to my new "state". I'm now 3.5 months along, and I think my skin is finally starting to calm down after this long and horrible ride.

I don't think I'll go back on the Pill again. Its odd because once you've been on it for so long, you don't even remember what it was like before. Almost immediately coming off it, my moods were much better, I lost weight, and generally, I felt better overall!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I don't agree that the pill is evil, but I do agree that one's sole purpose in taking should not be to improve one's skin. I take it for pregnancy prevention that's it. I was on Ortho Evra for two years and the only side effect I experienced was nausea (albeit that was pretty intense-- I'd be out for a whole day with it). Now, I'm the Ortho lo-dose pill and I'm experiencing more side effects than I was with the whopping amount of hormones that are in the patch. With the patch I gained weight and my boobs filed out, but I like that because now, on the pill, I've LOST weight. I'm hovering around 108 instead of 110 (big difference on a frame like mine) and my boobs shrunk! I feel like I'm back in high school! I'm serisously consdering the purchase of a push up bra!

I'm on it for one more month, but my clincian said if I'm still having the spotting I've been having, she switching me to a HIGHER dose pill. Sigh. I was thinking my body would appreciate the lower dose of hormones, but it turns out it's just not for me.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think Violetanne makes a good point, which is I think what Dollbird was really trying to stress in her initial post...don't go on the pill Just to clear up your skin. I know the pill is prescribed that way for many, as I know people who do just that. I also had a friend go on it because her Dr. wanted to put her on Accutane and said she Had to go on the pill in order to do so.
I also wanted to add, for those that say you have to experiment...of course that's true but unfortunately hormonal methods are not for everyone. I was on some form for about 6 years. I did experiment! I had been on Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, Alesse, Yasmin, and the worst, Depo. I didn't just sit there taking one pill the entire time; my Dr. and I both worked together to try to find the right combination for me. Finally I just decided to stop messing with my body, as I am not a science project.
rayofsun
5% products discount

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:44 am      Reply with quote
I have had an overall very positive experience with the pill and I don't know anyone really who has had a bad experience. I especially liked it in the beginning (been on it for 6 years now), I lost weight, periods came like clockwork and lasted only a couple days without any pain. With years my body got more used to it and cramps came back again. However, I do have one problem why I am strongly considering stopping the pill and hoping it helps. I am young but have experienced loss of sex drive. I was fine before and it kind of clicked in my head recently that being on the pill could be the reason. Has anyone else experience that and did coming off the pill help? hmm After reading this thread I am kind of afraid to come off the pill: acne, weight gain... etc... yaiks...
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:03 am      Reply with quote
I must be from another planet but I've never thought that anybody would take the pill just for improving one's skin ! I took it for approx. 13 years with some breaks in-between (26-39y.). I didn't gain weight (but i unfortunately did when i stopped taking it), there were no changes in my skin or mood, or whatsoever.
There are various types of the pill and your doctor should choose the right one for you. The pill made my periode regular which was messy during the pre-pill-periode and unfortunately is messy again in the post-pill period. It was definitely the best solution for me.
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
hey everyone

so I have been on the pill for about 7 years now, and things have been fine for me while I have been on it. but I am now thinking of stopping the pill and am concerned of all the side effects previous mentioned (which I never really considered until I came to EDS!)

so my question/thought is... is there anything one can do once they're off the pill to help detox the hormones out of their system. I figured i have a pretty solid amount of residual hormones in my body tissues (bleh) and was wondering if anyone has any comments/suggestions to help ease the symptoms of withdrawl?

I was thinking a detox, or something to help regulate my hormones?

thanks for bringing up such an important post dollbird and for everyone elses contributions!

Lau

p.s. rayofsun... I too experienced a loss of sex drive when I went on Marvelon (i switched from OTC, but then switched back) but it came back once I switched back to OTC... so there is hope!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi lulabelle, I don't know if you could use anything to get rid of the synthetic hormones, but there has been mention of herbs like Vitex and Dong Quai that might help regulate it. I tried taking Vitex but my body didn't agree with it (slight nausea). I found that a combination of Omega 3-6-9, zinc, Vit A and B complex helped. I know that a lot of women would say that they had positive experiences on the pill, but too many women have had bad and even traumatic experiences for this issue to be ignored, or to be brushed off as due to chance. Yes, they are "withdrawal" symptoms, and in most cases, those symptoms will pass, but do you really want to deal with them in the first place? It's like telling myself that being an alcoholic is fine because the withdrawal symptoms will gradually fade. We should not take that for granted because for a lot of women, the pill has permanently altered their hormonal levels. My close friend, after being on the pill for 7 years, has been pronounced as having pre-menopausal hormones, only at 28!! It is so serious, that there has been a petition online to try to get this issue on Oprah. It really is something the doctors don't tell you about, since they are pill pushers anyway. I hope anyone thinking about going on the pill will seriously re-consider the multitutde of other contraceptive options out there, because any synthetic substance that we put in our bodies will ultimately alter the natural homeostatic balances. Please, do not only take my case as reference. Look here also---> It's a women's forum with a wealth of resources about this topic (just TOO many women with bad experiences!!): http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/forum/7.html

Additional reasons not to take the pill:
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=263

And a helpful post from the Aphrodite Women's Health forum:
"I can't see it's any different since the steroid sex hormones in birth control drugs are not the same as the bodily hormones, but more more powerful and completely suppress the bodily hormones.

These drugs do not "regulate" "top up" or "balance" the bodily hormones in any way. They suppress them and can worsen existing symptoms or introduce new side effects. If they seem to do away with certain symptoms, it is only because they are immunosuppressive. Progestins are just as, if not more, immunosuppressive than corticosteroids.

In a double whammy they can also introduce new side effects but suppress them or mask them and the women or girl may only become aware of these new symptoms when they break through the immunosuppressive mask and become a full blown illness.

Because they suppress the immune system, they also suppress the warning signals, the symptoms that something is wrong. However they only mask the root causes of the complaints. They don't do away with them. So eventually the problems can break through the mask or they can develop other problems associated with the side effects of these drugs.

In fact, women who are put on these drugs to mask acne or menstrual problems may have immediate bad reactions to these drugs because they may have more sensitive immune systems and may be more nutrient deficient. The bodily hormones themselves depend on nutrients and if they are deficient many processes in the body can go wrong.

Since scientists have been able to manufacture steroid sex hormones in laboratories, there has been a lot of hype surrounding these drugs and many women and girls have been persuaded that the root of many "female" problems and even some problems like acne which are not specifically female are to do with hormone imbalances or deficiencies. In fact, they are often more to do with nutrient deficiencies, yeast/candida overgrowth and allergies.

Hormones in the body come at the end of a long chain of processes, not all of which are fully understood, with nutrients needed right at the beginning of the chain. Using external steroid sex hormones, which only mask symptoms, means using very blunt instrument which can have very many effects on the body.

I know I once was left under a totally false impression by docs and manufacturer inserts about what these drugs were and what they do. For example, some women and girls suffering from iron deficency get flooding menstruation.

It's not commonly known that, if all else has been ruled out, the most common cause of flooding menstruation is iron deficiency itself because iron is needed by the blood vessels which control bleeding from the womb. Of course with the blood loss iron and accompanying nutrient deficiencies are then made worse.

But often instead of treating the nutrient deficiencies, the docs prescribe steroid contraceptives. These suppress not only the menstrual cycle but menstruation itself. The steroid sex hormones in the Pill and similar drugs are not the same as the bodily hormones but much more powerful.

When the woman or girl comes off the drugs once a month (withdraws the drugs), the drug levels drop very suddenly and the womb is forced to shed its lining. But this is definitely not menstruation and nothing to do with the woman's own hormones. It's not a sign of health or fertility or not being pregnant.

It's a drug induced withdrawal bleed. It's not real menstruation which is lighter because these drugs have "regulated" or "balanced" or "topped up" the bodily hormones in any way, shape or form. It is a drug induced bleed which even post menopausal women on HRT can have if they still have a womb because the drugs in HRT are the same as in the Pill but in smaller doses.

Unfortunately some docs, nurses and manufactuer inserts add to the confusion by using the wrong or ambiguous vocabulary when describing withdrawal bleeds, calling them "periods" or even "menstruation".

Women and girls who have no idea that drug induced withdrawal bleeds even exist quite understandably assume that the bleeds they have are real menstruation when they think wrongly that "their own hormones topped up" or "balanced" or "regulated kick in". But this is totally false. They are chemically or drug induced withdrawal bleeds and not real menstruation.

So there are many problems associated with these drugs and many women and girls are left with totally false impressions about what they are and how they act."
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well I don't get the idea of taking BCP just to sort out your skin, so can't comment on that.
But I think that this book by Toni Weschler should be given to every single young woman in high school. If you're not interested in natural birth control, please don't let the topic put you off, just get the book you'll learn so much about your body etc. Just look at the fact that it's got 5 stars from 848 reviews(how often do you see that many reviews for a book on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Reproductive/dp/0060937645/sr=8-1/qid=1160082870/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2599162-2846423?ie=UTF8&s=books

I have posted the link to the US website, but it's available on the UK site too.
rayofsun
5% products discount

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
lulabelle wrote:

p.s. rayofsun... I too experienced a loss of sex drive when I went on Marvelon (i switched from OTC, but then switched back) but it came back once I switched back to OTC... so there is hope!

Thank you SO much for your reply lulabelle. Does OTC mean over-the-counter?
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on Allese and Diane 35, both these pills have made me gain weight as well as made my acne worsen. Now I am on Yasmine and haven't had any side effects from it. I wasn't aware of all these post BCP side effects. The doctors don't tell you the negative part of taking birth control pills. They just prescribe it as a solution to all types of problems women face like helping regulate menstral cycles, acne, unwanted pregnancies etc. I dont know any other equally affective way to stop unwanted pregnancies like birth control pills though. Condoms break. There are risks and complications with IUD's. Sponge/diaphram are not as effective as BCP. I wish there were more contraceptive methods.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |