Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Why are items so cheap on eBay?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I have been buying a lot of skin care stuff on eBay because of the unbelievably low prices. While I feel I'm hooked, sometimes the prices are too low to even believe. Does anyone have any skinny to disclose? What's the background of these sellers? How can they offer such low prices? Thanks in advance!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Some of the items are fakes.
Also, the seller doesn't have any overheads that shop does e.g. lighting and wages.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Some are stolen.
Some were gifts they didn't want.
Some are testers.
Some were tried and not liked.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Harmonster wrote:
Some are stolen.

It makes me sick to think I may be buying stolen goods...
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
So there are fakes?! How severe is the problem? And how can they steal? They work in department stores and steal there?
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
ahau wrote:
So there are fakes?! How severe is the problem? And how can they steal? They work in department stores and steal there?

I think the best example of fakes are MAC cosmetics. They just get a product which resembles MAC and put on a MAC label.
As for the suggestion of stolen goods, I would not be surprised. Theft is the biggest problem (besides employees methinks) for retail stores. Despite cameras, it is often hard to catch the act in the process. And even if you do, some people lie blatantly about it being their own.
I heard that there are fake Jan Marini eyelash serums on ebay. So it is very much buyer beware.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the information. Very eye-opening and a little scary...
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
The sellers pee in the bottles....

Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
OMG I don't believe I posted that Shock Confused Shock Confused Shock Confused Shock Rolling Eyes

Hanging my head in shame......
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
rofl I'm glad you posted that, Katee! I'm cracking up!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Katee, you crack me up too. Laughing

I noticed that some sellers list the products at super low prices but have really outrageous shipping charges. That's how they get you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
O.o I guess we better avoid all liquid products then. Laughing
But I love those ebay sales where they put in a well known brand but the product itself has nothing to do with it.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
O.o I guess we better avoid all liquid products then. Laughing
But I love those ebay sales where they put in a well known brand but the product itself has nothing to do with it.

I have noticed that also, like "La Mer"...
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of sellers start bid at 99cents then get their friends or have other accounts to bid on it and raise the prices so real bidders end up upping their highest bid to win the auction. In the end the price isn't as cheap as you may imagine. This is the most common strategy for no-reserve auctions.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
What are "no-reserve auctions?"
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
A lot of sellers start bid at 99cents then get their friends or have other accounts to bid on it and raise the prices so real bidders end up upping their highest bid to win the auction. In the end the price isn't as cheap as you may imagine. This is the most common strategy for no-reserve auctions.

That really bothers me. I don't feel I can trust these sellers.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
ahau wrote:
What are "no-reserve auctions?"

Exactly what the words say, there is no reserve price for the item. I recently participated in an auction where the starting price was $1.50, and the final price was $32.00

However not all no-reserve auctions are bad. Sometimes the seller knows it will definitely be above the reserve price so they are willing to take the risk.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
some of them are just legitimate businesses that sell on the side. you can usually tell by their seemingly endless supply of many products and they sometimes have a link to their website.

i sometimes sell on ebay when i overbuy a product (i can be a hoarder and buy multiple items of the same thing) and find a better product that i like, so i end up selling what i originally bought.

as to no reserve auctions, sometimes people just get wrapped up in the heat of bidding and push the price way over. i have been guilty of this a few times, and was unluckily the winner (and a few times i lost, thank goodness) and regretted it when i realize that i overpaid the suggested retail price.

to avoid the peeing in the bottles Laughing , i suggest buying sealed items only!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:00 am      Reply with quote
some are spa's and such, selling overstock and samples...I try to buy sealed stuff to prevent the well known "pee exchanged for product" scam but sometimes you are just having faith in that seller...I got an amore pacifec oil cleanser that sells for 45-50 bucks for 15 because this lady just didn't like it...I couldn't pass that up!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:31 am      Reply with quote
babymax24 wrote:
I got an amore pacifec oil cleanser that sells for 45-50 bucks for 15 because this lady just didn't like it...I couldn't pass that up!

Sniff the bottle before you put it onto your face.

I'm only kidding - I buy lots of things on ebay and have had very good experiences.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have another question: A lot of items are described "brand new and has never been used" but then says "no box." Where are the boxes? I know some products don't have boxes at all, but a lot do. Will this be an indicator of fakes?
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
ahau wrote:
I have another question: A lot of items are described "brand new and has never been used" but then says "no box." Where are the boxes? I know some products don't have boxes at all, but a lot do. Will this be an indicator of fakes?

not necessarily. The good thing that maybe they got the product as a gift or self-bought, threw away the box and decided later they don't want it. I do it all the time Crying or Very sad If you suspect it's a fake, ask for more photos. If it is a serious seller, they would not mind sending you more pictures. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
The trouble is with photos is if they are a dodgey seller then they will send a photo of a genuine item and then send you the fake.

I would never ever buy a bag from ebay as this area is riddled with fakes.
I saw once that 1 seller was selling authenticity cards for a Chanel bag... Just the cards... Shock
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
The trouble is with photos is if they are a dodgey seller then they will send a photo of a genuine item and then send you the fake.

I saw once that 1 seller was selling authenticity cards for a Chanel bag... Just the cards... Shock

Never buy handbags online...they are most likely fake. Unless you go through sellers that belong to groups like mypoupette.com (resellers of Louis Vuitton).

I bought a silver bracelet...my first purchase on ebay...that was supposed to be from Tiffany's. Got it home and it turned out it was a fake. The seller cancelled her paypal and her ebay account so I never got my money back. Sad

Learned a hard lesson. Sad that even skincare and cosmetics also have the potential to be fake...people will go to any length to make a buck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:

They will swear up and down that it's 100% authentic and offer money back guarantees, and they'll still be fake. I a bag back under the condition that I wasn't "satisfied" with it because they still claimed it was genuine. I got a refund, but they'll only refund the shipping if you send them verification from an authorized retailer that it's been deemed inauthentic because they know stores will never do it.

I did buy the Lancome Microderm-C kit on Ebay; it was a sealed tester. I don't know how they get so many of them to sell, but I was happy with it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |