Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Review: Pure Luxe vs. Alima Mineral Makeup MMU
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Pure Luxe vs. Alima

Customer Service
I got samples of Pure Luxe (PL) couple of months ago. Christina the owner has great customer service. She can also mix any colors together for you. If you would like a mix of 2 foundation colors, you can request it. Also, she adds cornstarch at your request. She replied to my email within 2 days.
What's great about PL is that they have their own forum on delphiforums where you can find a lot of information about application, colors, and even ask Christina questions straight on the forum. The link is http://forums.delphiforums.com/pureluxe
If you're interested in other mineral makeup (MMU), delphiforums also has other interesting forums worth exploring. I don't think I am computer incompetent at all Embarassed but I find the PL forum a little hard to navigate, or maybe it's because EDS has spoiled me with its easy usability Very Happy

Alima is supposed to have amazing service from the other reviews I found. However, when I asked a question concerning color choice through their website, I didn't get an email until 4 days later! I thought I was forgotten. Sad And then 2 days later, I got another email that answered my question again! The thing that put me off slightly was that the color suggestions from the first email was really great (W-3, or w-2). Then the second email suggested something quite different (N-2 and W-3). I guess it's not that big a difference and I did end up ordering samples of all of them, but it's just a little less reassuring to get different color suggestions and in TWO different emails. Alima did apologize in their email about how long it took to reply and said it was because their website is relatively new and they still haven't got the hang of it yet.

Delivery Time

I’m in Canada, and the delivery was about 1.5 weeks from both Alima and PL

Packaging

The samples from PL are in little containers bubbled wrapped. The containers have the screw-able top. You have to be a little careful with these containers if you put it in your bag. I find that they unscrew easily by themselves and end up spilling some. PL has their name on the lid and they put a sticker of the color/item name on the bottom. I found this to be a little hassling because I always have to look at the bottom to see what it is that I am sampling. They fill the little containers quite generously. For the foundations, it was about 70% full. For the eyeshadows, it was about half full, maybe less. I used my sample foundation for more than a month. The eyeshadows are still quite full. I am thinking it'll take me forever to finish the eyeshadows, so I am wondering how big the full sizes are?!

The Alima packagin is something to RAVE about! I should've taken a picture! The foundations were placed in another plastic bag with a piece of paper inside I believe with a lovely quote on it. In addition, they gave me three extra samples of a bronzer, a blush, and an eyeshadow! And the colors they chose are apparently specific for my skin color Smile These extra samples are in little ziplock bags. The actual foundation samples that I ordered are in similar sized containers as the PL, but I think these containers are more secure and do not open by themselves as easily as PL. Alima seems a lot more practical: they have the word "Alima" AND the color name on the lid!! This made me so happy and made me realize what a hassle it is to read color name on the bottom of the container for PL. Also, Alima is even more generous than PL (if that's even possible) and the containers were about 90% full. There was also a booklet in the whole package, very professionally done btw, and it introduces Alima and gives a list of other products as well as the ingredients. I thought this was very considerate and I just loved receiving Alima! I get a lot of things shipped to me, and this was one of those few times where I am just so darn impressed!! ok enough about Alima's awesome packaging Anxious

Application

What I like about both PL and Alima is that you need a fluffy (Christina calls it floofy:lol: ) brush and you just fluff it on! A lot of other MMU need to be 'buffed' on and I just don't like the idea of grinding tiny minerals into the skin. A lot of PL users recommends Smashbox's powder brush(#19 I believe, or maybe it's #1?) or a just any fluffy powder brush. I personally use the Quo blush brush (shoppers in Canada!) and it works out great. Eventually though, I will want to try the Smashbox. I tried the JI Handi for the PL, which is a kinda dense, ultra soft flattop brush, and it just wasn't as nice as a fluffy brush. The Handi did distribute the powder evenly, but it seems to look more heavy and you can actually see the makeup.

What I do to save time is to get a really shallow bowl or a plate that curves up on the edges (this prevents getting powder out of the bowl/plate) and dump a little powder near the edge. In the morning, I grab my brush and swirl the powder from the edge and swirl it around in the center and tap and just fluff it downwards on my face. If you do it upwards, your tiny little face hairs will get caught with powder, resulting in a cakey application. You only need a little each time and I just do it twice. When I want it to cover more, I just layer more.

The first time that I put on PL followed by its April's Mix (gorgeous gorgeous!!), I wasn't that impressed. About half hour later, I look in the mirror and i was literally stunned! My face has achieved that glowy and dewy look that I've always dreamed of!!! I have combination skin, but the makeup did not make me look oily, just glowing away like a light bulb!! I loved it! Eventually realized that MMU takes time to settle in and meld into your skin. If you want to hurry the process, just spray your face with a fine mist of whatever ( I just use distilled water, you can use any spritzer) and then do another layer. Your face should not be actually wet.

When I floofed on Alima, it seems to meld into the skin faster than PL. And the application process itself is an absolute dream. It looks clumpier than PL in the container and I was a little worried that it'll clump on my face. But NO! It goes on all creamy and soft! and I'm not even using the best brush. It goes on smoothly and creamy Alima says it's supposed to have this satin matte finish and I think it is precisely right. I don't like a completely matte look cuz I feel like it looks unnatural on me, so imagine how pleased I was to see that the finish was overall matte and it makes your skin slightly dewy. I didn't use the April's mix or any finishing powder on top of it. Without the April's mix, it does not achieve that ultimate glow that April's mix does, but it is not that far behind and I enjoy taking that one step of putting finishing powder out of my routine. The reason that I didn't order the finishing powder from Alima is that it doesn't have that great of reviews on MUA.

Ingredient List

I listed some ingredients below. I think I like Alima more because it has less ingredients in it than PL. Alima's blushes are really great but mica is the first ingredient and I think some people get reactions to it.

PL foundation
Titanium dioxide, sericite,kaolin, iron oxide, mica, and zinc oxide.

PL April's Mix
cornstarch, sericite, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, mica, kaolin and zinc oxide.

PL shadows
Mica. (Depending on shade) may contain sericite, kaolin, iron oxide, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, tin oxide and ultramarines

Alima foundation
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77489).

Alima blush
Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77489).

Color choices

As a reference, MAC SA matched me to a NC30. However, it was not a perfect match because it was a little too yellow for me. I am Asian with combination skin. My skin color actually has a lot of pink to it.

The closest color for me from PL is warm cream and buff. They are about the same color in terms of lightness/darkness, but warm cream is warm (more yellow) and buff is neutral (with a little more pink than warm colors) When I put them one of each side of the face, I don't really see a difference. But I think I prefer the warm cream, because the buff makes me look a little pale and I don't think it's a perfect match for me(maybe in the winter). But I am only about 90% satisfied with warm cream. It seems a little too warm for my skin. I ended up adding a little Buff into the Warm Cream.

For Alima, its W-3 looks identical to Warm cream in the container, however it is not as yellow as the warm cream when applied and I think it's a perfect match for me personally. W-2 looks a little lighter than w-3 in the container but it still works out great for my skin. I think I will keep the N2/N-3 for winter. Alima has more color choices and I like how simple it is to understand their naming system. There is N(neutral), W(warm-yellowish), C(cold-pinkish), G(gold, more yellow than warm), O(olive), E(ebony), B(bronze). For any clarification, click on Alima 101 on their website and they give good descriptions of each. And then for each category, there is color depth going from 0-6 (0 being the palest, 6 being the darkest). With a system like this, I think everyone can find their own color! PL divided their colors into warm, neutral and cold, but it takes a bit work to figure out how light/dark each color is. I suggest to email each company and ask for recommendations.

I think that Alima may have more pigmentation than PL. With PL, I have to put on several layers (3-5) to get that perfect skin look. I just need 2 layers for Alima. They both result in very nice natural, this-is-my-skin-with-no-makeup look.

Products

PL's April's Mix
This is probably my favourite item from PL. It looks kinda ashy in the container. It is a finishing powder that you can put on after the foundation or before and after the foundation. It is a mixture of correctors and different glow stuff. Basically, the more glow you want, the more you fluff it on. It is wonderful! I got so many compliments when using this. Everone tells me I look radient Smile

PL's You glow Girl and Radiance
These are also finishing powders (April's Mix has you glow girl in it I think) but without correctors in it. It gives you the glow, more than the April's Mix. I find it a little too much and can only put on one layer. It is very nice still but I prefer April's Mix.

PL's eyeshadows
PL's eyeshadows are to die for! The color selection is impressive. I've found some colors from PL that I haven't seen elsewhere (or I am just to lazy to think about it). The samples are great and last forever. People have complained about their staying power but I haven't had a problem with it. But if you really want to ensure it will stay, try UDPP underneath. Below are some of my fav colors:

Bikini: this looks so gorgeous. it is a bold pink with Gold shimmers! love love!
Elysium: pink/taupe shimmer. This reminds me a little of Arena from MAC, but softer and so much more beautiful! A must!
Asp: reddish brown and green shimmer. This goes on as a nice brown shadow, you don't really see the green but I'm sure it adds to the total effect.
Charisma: similar to bikini but more peach than pink
Indigo: bold aqua blue. I use it wet as eyeliner over black eyeliner and it makes my brown eyes go KA-ZING!

And there are so many more I haven't tried! Check out their kaleidoscope collection. But I've had good luck with all the shadows I got, so I am quite happy.

Let me just add (to seduce you guys even more!) that everytime that I wear a PL shadow, I always get compliments!

PL blush:

I've tried Nymph and Blushing bride.
Nymph: supposed to be like orgasm from Nars. It looks really nice in the jar. When put on, it looks more pink than peach. Also, I kind of did a few layers one day and my room was kind of dark, and then I check it under daylight, it was a neon super shimmering pink with a hint of purple Shock After that, I only do a layer or two and it looks fine. Probably would not repurchase due to the obvious shimmers.

Blushing Bride: looks kinda dark in the container for my skin, but when put on, a very nice mute rose color. I like it Smile

PL Banana mix:
This is a corrector for undereye circles. The powder form was nice in that it didn't crease, but I just don't like the light coverage. It did nothing for my circles. The cream form (banana mix and the eraser combined) was horrible! It looks obcenely yellow in the container but when put on the skin, it goes clear and just makes my eyes look oily.

PL Eraser:
The powder form did nothing for me. I felt like I was just putting on cornstarch. The silicone one is ok but I wouldn't repurchase. Because I am in my early 20's and don't have much fine lines or large pores, eraser was not really applicable for me. This is one product that do get a lot of raves though. The eraser has been compared to Smashbox's primer.

Alima blush:
The sample I received was Carnation. Very nice. But I haven't used it enough to decide if I would repurchase it or not.

Random
PL is really good about adding new products. Recently, Christina added 12 eyecreams and 4 cream blushes. Since PL’s eyeshadows are so pretty, I’m probably gonna end up getting samples of the eyecreams.

Lasting power

Both are really great. I've worn both to go out at night and after much dancing, it's still perfect on my face just like when I left the house. It has also lasted me from morning to night.

Websites
PL’s website is a little disorganized. If you want an item and cannot find it, then it’s probably in another category.

Links:
http://pureluxecosmetics.com/
http://alimacosmetics.com/

PricesAll prices are in US dollars
Alima: $18.95 for 30g
PL: $25 for 30g (on sale now for $20)

Alima samples
$2.75 for foundation

PL samples
$1 for most things (eraser is a little more expensive)

Shipping
Both ship internationally

Alima
$4 for US (free if $60 and above)
$6 Canada and Mexico (free if $125 and above)
$10 everywhere else (free if $125 and above)

PL
0-9.99 dollars spent at PL: $2.50
9.99-49.99: 5.00
50-99.99: 8.00

so overall, I am having a permanent love affair with Alima (we'll probably get married)! This is one MMU that will probably stop me from exploring any further Very Happy
PL wasgreat to sample and many people do love it, but I really enjoy Alima's creamier application and higher pigmentation. I also do not need a finishing powder with Alima. If I've never tried Alima, I'd probably use PL.

ok, longest review ever! probably too detailed hehe I am taking a day off from studying, so I figured why not spend a couple of hours on EDS? Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for an amazingly detailed review. Well done!
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thank so much for taking the time to review both products PBP Very Happy I've used some of the PL lines that you mentioned (Buff foundation, Elysium eyeshadow, You Glow Girl and April's mix finishing powders). I also have Beach Babe blush. BUT having read raves here about EM, MMU I have got quite a few of their samples - foundation and blushes and love them too Very Happy I was about to order full sizes on EM foundations when I read more raves about Alima and of course had to try them out also.
This is where your review comes in handy for me, and I'm expecting the Alima samples shortly and so happy to read that they are impressive. On the other hand, all these MMU's only add to my confusion Confused
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin - Thank you so much for the great and very detailed review. I emailed Alima inquiring a color and told them that I have pink in my skin and oily combo skin. I was told that it's rare for Asians to have pink but she recommended N3, W2 and O1. I think your skin tone and mine are the same, so I'll probably choose the same as yours. But I'm grateful for this review. Thank you again. Very Happy
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I love your review. I was REALLY hoping someone would compare between PL and Alima, because I have been a long time user of PL because it was the first MMU I tried and it was decent enough to stick to. What great timing.
Thanks XOXOX
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Bravo! Great review! I'm so glad you like Alima...welcome to the club!! Very Happy After about 2 weeks of wearing this, I'm loving it more than ever for its beautiful, creamy, natural coverage and zero irritation.
Mabsy

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:04 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for a *very* thorough comparison of the two! I haven't tried Pure Luxe but I have just received samples of Alima a few days ago and I'm quite liking it so far.

I'm curious as to why you said that the PL and the Alima do not have to be buffed in like other MMU does? Is there any particular reason behind this? To be honest, I did feel that my beloved JI Handi brush didn't pick up the Alima as well as it picks up, say, Everyday Minerals. The Alima seemed somehow looser - I know they're all loose powder but the EDM works into the brush well but the Alima tends to be more just pushed around in the container by my JI Handi. Or maybe I'm just imagining things? I am using a freshly washed (but dried of course Smile) brush.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Great Review!

I must try Alima next, which will be fun.

I've been using Pure Luxe. Their samples are sooo cheap, I was able to try a LOT of shades and lots of shades of blush, too.

The great thing was, that I actually custom blended a lot of samples and made simply the best summer tan colour I EVER had, and the most natural colour - for me - face MU. It felt good to mix my own shades. ( they sell empty powder pots)

Their colour range is pretty adventurous. I have a beyoootiful emerald green eye shadow sample from them, which, with a wet brush, makes a gorgeous eye liner in a unique shade, and really stays on well.

I also use the Pure Luxe oil cleanser, which is lovely, lemony smelling, thick, and my skin loves it.

As for the line eraser.... I can hardly believe it's true - but I actually chucked out my Touche Eclat in favour of their coloured line erasers. ( incredible, I know)

It is great fun modifying face MU according to the seasons - I find these generous samples have revolutionised the way I use make up. (Previously I'd buy a different bottle of foundation for each seasonal change. This way feels more creative and personal to me.)
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
I'm curious as to why you said that the PL and the Alima do not have to be buffed in like other MMU does? Is there any particular reason behind this? To be honest, I did feel that my beloved JI Handi brush didn't pick up the Alima as well as it picks up, say, Everyday Minerals. The Alima seemed somehow looser - I know they're all loose powder but the EDM works into the brush well but the Alima tends to be more just pushed around in the container by my JI Handi. Or maybe I'm just imagining things? I am using a freshly washed (but dried of course Smile) brush.

Mabsy - the reason I said that it needs to be 'floofed' on instead of buffed for BOTH PL and Alima is that both of their websites recommended this. I tried using the Handi and buff it on, but it just looks really heavy and cakey, not at all natural. Try Alima with a looser powder brush, there really is a difference Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Great Review!

I must try Alima next, which will be fun.

I've been using Pure Luxe. Their samples are sooo cheap, I was able to try a LOT of shades and lots of shades of blush, too.

The great thing was, that I actually custom blended a lot of samples and made simply the best summer tan colour I EVER had, and the most natural colour - for me - face MU. It felt good to mix my own shades. ( they sell empty powder pots)

Their colour range is pretty adventurous. I have a beyoootiful emerald green eye shadow sample from them, which, with a wet brush, makes a gorgeous eye liner in a unique shade, and really stays on well.

I also use the Pure Luxe oil cleanser, which is lovely, lemony smelling, thick, and my skin loves it.

As for the line eraser.... I can hardly believe it's true - but I actually chucked out my Touche Eclat in favour of their coloured line erasers. ( incredible, I know)

It is great fun modifying face MU according to the seasons - I find these generous samples have revolutionised the way I use make up. (Previously I'd buy a different bottle of foundation for each seasonal change. This way feels more creative and personal to me.)

oooo catski! tell me which green eyeshadow it is? I LOOOOVE PL's eyeshadows, these colors are unbelievable! I haven't had one bad shade yet and I've sampled so much!
As for the erasers, do you use powder or the cream version? How do you put it on? I just don't see a difference and it's kinda frustrating Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
well, poofy ( Laughing ) - the green eyeshadow that I love is called "WIZARD" - great name, isnt it. I couldnt resist it, I think I'd been watching Harry Potter...

The line erasers took me a while to get used to. I prefer the cream over the powder - strangely I use the apricot one , on the under eye bone, where it wrinkles when I smile, and sinks a little. It softens everything, and - unexpectedly - the warm colour there really works.It is vivifying to the eyes. The banana one pilled and the colour did nothing for me. I bought a transparent line eraser for my forehead - it softens everything..

I got a sample of powder eraser in a light brown colour which looked absurdly dark and horrible on my face. The bizarre thing is, I decided to try it as a socket accentuater - on my eyelids - and it just looked AMAZING. this puzzled me very much, as it looks so ordinary in the pot. Made my eyes open up and look much more youthful and pretty.

This has to be the advantage of all the samples - that we can experiment. Also, of course, I just love receiving an envelope full of little pots of colours! It's like christmas!
Mabsy

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks poofybabypenguin! Smile I'll try it with my super-soft A'Squirrel brushes tomorrow.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I recently ordered some samples from Pure Luxe. So far I love:

Nymph blush - peachy and works well on my PPP skin
Blushing Bride - nuetral pinkish colour
Serenity eyeshadow - beige with shimmer
April Mix - nice finishing powder. Keeps things matt but with a glow-not a shimmer.

I am undecided on the foundation. I have some other companies including ED; so I am undecided on what to order for a full size. Plus I have 3 full size jars of MMU from a company that is longer in business. I do like foundations that can be applied with a fluffy brush. I use Quo powder brush. I ordered Ivory (has yellow undertones) and used once. I dropped the jar and so it is gone. So far creamy natural looks good.

I am also undecided on the Eraser. I did try Beige powder eraser on my eyelids and it worked well as a primer. I think it is too dark for my face. The original powder eraser feels like my ED finishing powder (this works well as a primer layer too). The cream eraser I have used a couple of times; not sure on this.

I have not tried the other brand Alima.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin

I have only tried Pure Luxe foundation samples. I also have some ED, Cory (too heavy) and no longer in business Glymineral MMU foundations.

Tell us about the finish of the Alima foundation. Is it medium coverage? What skin type(s) would it work for? You said that the Alima is creamier than Pure Luxe and that you do not need a finishing powder with Alima. Do you think Alima would be suitable for someone with combo/oily skin? Does it have a smooth finish (not accenting lines and large pores?)

I am a MMU fan and this is a brand that I have not tried (yet.)
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin - Thank you so much for the great review. I was hoping someone would compare the two. This is exactly what I need.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Great review, thanks!

I've tried PureLuxe but find most of the eyeshadows too sheer. I also have a better foundation match to JLynne but now I'm thinking I *need* to try Alima!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
*Paging Dr. Penguin ... Dr. Penguin to the O.R. ...*

P.B. Penguin, M.D. - Great review! I found it particularly interesting because I have sampled both Pure Luxe and now Alima.

Today was my first day using Alima. I ordered 6 samples of their foundation powder, and today I tried the color Satin/N2. It looked like an awesome match in the bathroom mirror, but I did not check it in direct daylight; will have to do that tomorrow. I was thrilled with the match because so far its the first foundation I've ever had on my face that is actually a good color match to my skin. I've tried cools and warms and have always been able to see the color difference on my skin, so it appears I'm actually a neutral!

I LOVE the fact that it is a matte finish (but not too matte - glowy but not shiny)!!! I HATE the metallic shine of BE and Senna on my face because I'm oily and every time I see shine, I just want to powder my face into oblivion! The finish was just so nice - my skin looked almost flawless, which is amazing because other MMUs I've tried have accentuated my pores and dehydration.

As for wearability of the Alima - I've only had it on today for about 5-6 hours and so far so good - not much oily breakthrough, though that may be because I'm using PSF's balancing oil at night which I think is doing a great job. I did not use a primer today, will try that tomorrow (I have a sample of PL's clear gel eraser as well as their powder eraser.) I cannot imagine that a primer would make the Alima finish look any better, but if it does, you and I are going to have a fight over which one of us gets to marry this makeup!

The Alima coverage is very nice, though I think I may have put too much on today. As I said above, I've never had a color match, so I couldn't "see" N2 going on my skin, so I kept applying it. A little goes a long way with Alima and I have a feeling that sample is going to last a while.

As for PL, I tried Creamy Natural and liked it, but I think the Alima N2 is a better color match, plus I think the PL Creamy Natural finish was definitely more shiny than Alima. I cannot do a head-to-head comparison because the PL sample did not last long. I also tried the PL finishing powder in April's Mix but could not really tell if it did anything to the finish of the foundation. Will try it tomorrow or the following day over Alima N2.

I LOVED PL's blush in Nymphe - it looked like an authentic, natural flush on my face - the first "real," natural looking blush I've ever had. I ordered a slew of PL eyeshadows and blushes, will have to try them tomorrow to see what I end up liking. I also tried the PL cleansing oil and LOVED that, too, but I hear that compared to other cleansing oils that do the same job, its a bit pricey. Plus, I want to try CareKate's OCM recipe!

All in all I think Alima and PL are both very good MMUs and there are good things to try from each line. I do think that Alima's website is superior to PL's and it appears that Alima's range of shades and color categories (warm, cool, neutral, gold, bronze, etc.) is also superior to PL's.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
FYI - I received a response from Alima with product recommendations (colors) within 24 hours.

D'oh for the day: Went out with no foundation but used Avene's (I think it's) Cleanance - it's the lotion that looks like Milk of Magnesia.

Just got home and realized I have white residue all over my T-zone ... yikes!
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 am      Reply with quote
autumn wrote:
I recently ordered some samples from Pure Luxe. So far I love:

Nymph blush - peachy and works well on my PPP skin
Blushing Bride - nuetral pinkish colour
Serenity eyeshadow - beige with shimmer
April Mix - nice finishing powder. Keeps things matt but with a glow-not a shimmer.

I am undecided on the foundation. I have some other companies including ED; so I am undecided on what to order for a full size. Plus I have 3 full size jars of MMU from a company that is longer in business. I do like foundations that can be applied with a fluffy brush. I use Quo powder brush. I ordered Ivory (has yellow undertones) and used once. I dropped the jar and so it is gone. So far creamy natural looks good.

I am also undecided on the Eraser. I did try Beige powder eraser on my eyelids and it worked well as a primer. I think it is too dark for my face. The original powder eraser feels like my ED finishing powder (this works well as a primer layer too). The cream eraser I have used a couple of times; not sure on this.

I have not tried the other brand Alima.

hmmmmm I think I will try my eraser sample as an eyeshadow primer and see how that works, but this eraser thing is sure tricky!

catski wrote:
well, poofy ( Laughing ) - the green eyeshadow that I love is called "WIZARD" - great name, isnt it. I couldnt resist it, I think I'd been watching Harry Potter...

The line erasers took me a while to get used to. I prefer the cream over the powder - strangely I use the apricot one , on the under eye bone, where it wrinkles when I smile, and sinks a little. It softens everything, and - unexpectedly - the warm colour there really works.It is vivifying to the eyes. The banana one pilled and the colour did nothing for me. I bought a transparent line eraser for my forehead - it softens everything..

I got a sample of powder eraser in a light brown colour which looked absurdly dark and horrible on my face. The bizarre thing is, I decided to try it as a socket accentuater - on my eyelids - and it just looked AMAZING. this puzzled me very much, as it looks so ordinary in the pot. Made my eyes open up and look much more youthful and pretty.

This has to be the advantage of all the samples - that we can experiment. Also, of course, I just love receiving an envelope full of little pots of colours! It's like christmas!

catski I love how creative you are! I am definitely going to order the wizard on your recommendation [and p.s. random Harry Potter rant! I'm always excited to find another HP fan! can't wait until the movie comes out Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy]

autumn wrote:
poofybabypenguin

I have only tried Pure Luxe foundation samples. I also have some ED, Cory (too heavy) and no longer in business Glymineral MMU foundations.

Tell us about the finish of the Alima foundation. Is it medium coverage? What skin type(s) would it work for? You said that the Alima is creamier than Pure Luxe and that you do not need a finishing powder with Alima. Do you think Alima would be suitable for someone with combo/oily skin? Does it have a smooth finish (not accenting lines and large pores?)

I am a MMU fan and this is a brand that I have not tried (yet.)

The coverage for Alima is light to medium. I've never tried to super layer it, but maybe I'll try it and see if it can achieve heavy coverage. I think Alima is good for most skintypes, including sensitive skin. The finish is very natural and will make your makeup look like your skin. However, if you are super oily, maybe the slight dewy finish is not what you want, but if you use a mattifying primer beforehand, I'm sure it will work as well. I have combination/oily skin too and I love the finish! It makes me glowy instead of oily Smile The finish is very smooth. I am not sure about accenting lines and pores because it has not been an issue for me, yet.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:06 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:

P.B. Penguin, M.D. - Great review! I found it particularly interesting because I have sampled both Pure Luxe and now Alima.

Today was my first day using Alima. I ordered 6 samples of their foundation powder, and today I tried the color Satin/N2. It looked like an awesome match in the bathroom mirror, but I did not check it in direct daylight; will have to do that tomorrow. I was thrilled with the match because so far its the first foundation I've ever had on my face that is actually a good color match to my skin. I've tried cools and warms and have always been able to see the color difference on my skin, so it appears I'm actually a neutral!

I LOVE the fact that it is a matte finish (but not too matte - glowy but not shiny)!!! I HATE the metallic shine of BE and Senna on my face because I'm oily and every time I see shine, I just want to powder my face into oblivion! The finish was just so nice - my skin looked almost flawless, which is amazing because other MMUs I've tried have accentuated my pores and dehydration.

As for wearability of the Alima - I've only had it on today for about 5-6 hours and so far so good - not much oily breakthrough, though that may be because I'm using PSF's balancing oil at night which I think is doing a great job. I did not use a primer today, will try that tomorrow (I have a sample of PL's clear gel eraser as well as their powder eraser.) I cannot imagine that a primer would make the Alima finish look any better, but if it does, you and I are going to have a fight over which one of us gets to marry this makeup!

The Alima coverage is very nice, though I think I may have put too much on today. As I said above, I've never had a color match, so I couldn't "see" N2 going on my skin, so I kept applying it. A little goes a long way with Alima and I have a feeling that sample is going to last a while.

As for PL, I tried Creamy Natural and liked it, but I think the Alima N2 is a better color match, plus I think the PL Creamy Natural finish was definitely more shiny than Alima. I cannot do a head-to-head comparison because the PL sample did not last long. I also tried the PL finishing powder in April's Mix but could not really tell if it did anything to the finish of the foundation. Will try it tomorrow or the following day over Alima N2.

I LOVED PL's blush in Nymphe - it looked like an authentic, natural flush on my face - the first "real," natural looking blush I've ever had. I ordered a slew of PL eyeshadows and blushes, will have to try them tomorrow to see what I end up liking. I also tried the PL cleansing oil and LOVED that, too, but I hear that compared to other cleansing oils that do the same job, its a bit pricey. Plus, I want to try CareKate's OCM recipe!

All in all I think Alima and PL are both very good MMUs and there are good things to try from each line. I do think that Alima's website is superior to PL's and it appears that Alima's range of shades and color categories (warm, cool, neutral, gold, bronze, etc.) is also superior to PL's.

Hello Miss Future Kickass Lawyer! We're like the same person..when I was reading your review, I kept on nodding in agreement and my dear bf told me to get off eds and go study Embarassed
The only thing is the Nymph blush, it's just so shimmery and I still have residual fear from my purple and pink blush incident with nymph, but I am glad it works for you!

Hope your LSAT studying is going well! And we can BOTH marry Alima Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:46 am      Reply with quote
I just stumbled onto the pure luxe website through the GoW forum somehow and wow, the color selection is so awesome. very impressed. thanks for a great review poofbaby!

http://pureluxecosmetics.com/page19.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:

Hi MermaidGirl- it sounds that perhaps we have similar skin tones. As a comparison I was wondering if you have tried any of the following MMU and if so, which shades worked best for you:

Jane Iredale
True Cosmetics
Mineral Boutique
Aromaleigh

Are you still wearing Alima?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

.....but I actually chucked out my Touche Eclat.....

I love my Touche Eclat....I would rather toss out my own sweet child, than my TE. (well no, not really, but if someone really made me pick...Harrison might need to be concerned!)
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
... Hi MermaidGirl- it sounds that perhaps we have similar skin tones. As a comparison I was wondering if you have tried any of the following MMU and if so, which shades worked best for you:

Jane Iredale
True Cosmetics
Mineral Boutique
Aromaleigh

Are you still wearing Alima?

Hi Amnis! No I am not still wearing Alima. I guess I can say I'm very guilty of a "premature evaluation." Wink It ended up being too matte on me, and somewhat chalky looking. I'm still very impressed with the color range, however.

I have not tried any of the ones you've listed, but I have tried these:

* Pure Luxe (nice coverage, no color match for me, made me itch - however, she has the most amazing eyeshadow and blush colors EVER!)
* UGloGirl (loved the softly glow-y formula, no color match and the coverage was too light)
* Ocean Mist (horrible, horrible, horrible fake child's plastic doll colored foundations - no color match, made me itch like crazy)
* Everyday Minerals - Intensive (no color match, made me itch, coverage was a bit chalky, made me cough when applying it - felt like I was inhaling smoke or something - ick! However, I found a blush I LOVE - its called "ChitChat")

I'm currently waiting for my Lumiere samples to arrive and have no idea why they are taking so long. I've heard wonderful things about this line. Am considering trying Aromaleigh as well.

BTW, I haven't found a color match yet. I'm thinking I should try to match my neck instead of my face this trip around because nothing has worked so far. *Sigh!*

Tell me what your MMU experiences have been like, please.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl--

My Lumiere samples took forever to get to me too(took about a week 1/2). I was going to test them out tonight, will report back!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |