Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does caffeine cause acne breakouts?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
plasmajam
5% products discount

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
I am drinking more coffee these days and am breaking out a lot more. From what I have read online, food and drink should not cause acne breakouts but a derm told me it could. Anyone have any advice? Guess I could try giving up the coffee (though I don't want to)!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Body chemistry differs so much (even though it certainly isn't that much, but tiny things make big differences in the function of our body as a whole) it certainly could be breaking you out, but it may not make most people break out. Try drinking less and see what happens, it's cheaper than investing in acne clearing products anyway Rolling Eyes Wink
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Plasma,

Are you by any chance using an artificial creamer in your coffee?

hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils can lead to clogged pores when ingested... so check your creamer and if that is listed you may be able to switch to milk or half and half so that you can enjoy your coffee without the acne flare-up.

If you are using the artificial creamer for the flavor choices you can still get a nice flavor by using a flavored syrup. I like DaVinci sugar free syrups which are currently sold at my local Sam's Club and also online at http://netrition.com

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:00 am      Reply with quote
According to my Chinese doctor, these foods will increase the likelihood of getting pimples...

chocolate
coffee
anything deep fried
chips

even certain types of fruits
mango
lychee
plums, nectarines, peaches

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Although some research claim that food is not a cause of acne, some other researches show that certain food increases the inflammation in the body. I used to have a cup of coffee a day and my skin had breakout and it was drier. Now I replace coffee with tea and I have no more breakout. Same thing happened with fried food.
plasmajam
5% products discount

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I don't use artificial creamer, I use half & half. But my morning coffee is a strong one...4 shots of espresso with a little hot water. I skipped it this morning and its not pretty...
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps try Japanese green tea or Chinese Jasmine tea....?

Or slowly ween yourself off the shots in the morning.. 3 shots for a couple days, then 2..then 1.. then none!

Don't go cold turkey!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:39 am      Reply with quote
I do believe that coffee will cause breakout.
DIY Girl
5% products discount

Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
My understanding is that the relationship of food to acne is such that food in and of itself will not CAUSE acne, but if you are prone to acne (i.e. have the other necessary elements already present) food and caffeine can trigger breakouts.

I believe caffeine as well as sugar causes the body to release more androgens (typically male hormones) which put the hormone element in place for breakouts.

HTH!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:40 am      Reply with quote
plasmajam wrote:
I don't use artificial creamer, I use half & half. But my morning coffee is a strong one...4 shots of espresso with a little hot water. I skipped it this morning and its not pretty...

Are you drinking more coffee because you are under more stress these days?

I thought I would ask, as stress breakouts can be some of the worst!

I hope that cutting back coffee does help you!I remember when I cut coffee off cold turkey years ago and I had the worst headaches from withdrawal! Ugh! It was bad.... I can sympathize.

In the meantime, Ice Elements makes an acne serum that has no bp that you may want to try to help take care of the problem.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

5% products discount

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I started drinking coffee a few months ago. Love the taste and love the buzz I get but have decided that I will quit for a month and see if it helps clear up my acne. Today is my second day without. Not too bad. The desire to have clear skin is overpowering the craving for coffee! I agree with a lot of you that coffee may not cause the acne, but sure could trigger it. If anyone else has had experience with this, please let me know. Thanks Smile
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
DIY Girl wrote:
I believe caffeine as well as sugar causes the body to release more androgens (typically male hormones) which put the hormone element in place for breakouts.

HTH!

I do recall reading that caffeine and sugar both have an influence on blood sugar level and insulin level. I also recall reading that there is a connection between insulin and testosterone. I would have to look this all up but maybe there is something to the coffee-acne connection afterall.

From personal experience I have been drinking several cups of coffee a day and have never really noticed a correlation between my coffee consumption and my acne. There have been times when I have been virtually acne free despite drinking a lot of coffee.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Your body releases certain hormones in response to caffeine, so yes it can cause breakouts.
Coffee is also heavily sprayed with pesdicides and other chemicals... You body expels toxins through your skin.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I read some where that its actually the steam from coffe that can cause breakouts, which to me doesnt make sense because women use steamers for facials...that leads me to believe that its up to personal body chemistry and possibly the type of coffee you drink, like how strong it is or if you add things to it. I think the sugar and cream that is usually added to coffee would have more of a negative effect on skin than caffine.
monappetit
5% products discount

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
if its true that caffeine in coffee that causes acne... shouldn't tea cause breakouts too? I've read that everything in tea is beneficial except for the caffeine (but there is less of it compared to coffee).
hugaio
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
amaska wrote:
Perhaps try Japanese green tea or Chinese Jasmine tea....?

Or slowly ween yourself off the shots in the morning.. 3 shots for a couple days, then 2..then 1.. then none!

Don't go cold turkey!

i love Chinese jasmine tea!! love the smell....
plasmajam
5% products discount

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I wanted to give an update: I have not had any coffee or caffeine for 7 days now and my acne seems to be clearing up. No new breakouts! I think I was having a reaction to it, as I was getting huge cysts all the time. As far as the withdrawals, after 3 days it wasn't too bad and now I don't really think about it. I miss the taste but want clear skin more! Thanks you guys for all of your advice Smile
surfer
5% products discount

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be a heavy coffee drinker (always black, espresso) and had poor skin, especially lots of breakouts on my chin. When I stopped the coffee my skin cleared.

My Chinese doctor says the caffeine is very hard on the liver, and in TCM the chin area is associated with that organ. So easing back on the caffeine, sugar, alcohol and fried foods will help your liver which will give you clearer skin in time.

Now I drink all the organic decaf (still black) I want and have no problems with my skin at all. It's certainly worth a try, but my experience was that it took a few months to see amazing results.
rosielynt
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:01 am      Reply with quote
It should not but if you thimkthat its causing it truy to avoid it and if it improves then the caffiene is the culprit
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am glad that avoiding coffee is having a clearing effect to your skin!

I hope that it stays clear!

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
You know, now that I think about it, my acne started to get a LOT worse around the time that I became addicted to coffee. This time last year it was nearly cleared up, but then in February I was introduced to coffee to help me get through midterms. And ever since March my face has had horrible flare-ups. Hmmmmm.

However, as a student it is very difficult to give up coffee and alcohol, although my mom's chinese herbalist has suggested I do to help clarify my liver.

Thanks for the tip, I'll start the caffeine free thing tmrw. Or maybe after this week, when it's a little less hectic.
plasmajam
5% products discount

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
ok, it has almost been two weeks and my skin has completly cleared up. It was the coffee! I have been using the Obagi Nu Derm system for 4 months and this is the first time my skin has looked great. I now know that for me... coffee is the devil!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
I read some research articles on this and came to this conclusion:

Caffeine--> stimulates the adrenal glands to produce increased levels of stress hormone "cortisol"---> cortisol increases sebum production and secretion---> increased sebum leads to follicle congestion.

Coffee indirectly contributes to acne.

HTH!
nyamyj
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've reduced my intake to just one cup a day. I was breakingn out from too much caffeine. It also dehydrates. Moderation is the key.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
my grandma said that spicy food can cause breakouts, dont know if that's true Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |