Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Frustration with using Panasonic Heated Eyelash Curler!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:16 am      Reply with quote
HEEEEELLLLLP CareKate, Scally and any other girls using the Panasonic heated eyelash curler!

How can something so simple - an eyelash curler - be so difficult to use? I know I'm a dweeb, but for the love of Gawd! Embarassed

I'm having a hard time with it ... I just got it and have only used it twice, but each time it has totally MELTED my mascara off my lashes to the point where I pretty much completely need to reapply! Mad I don't have that kind of time to spend on my lashes, for Pete's sake. The first time I will admit to not letting the mascara dry all the way, but the second time, my mascara was very dry as I'd waited an hour or more to try the curler.

The thing heats up in seconds and gets pretty darned hot (I actually like the warmth near my eye), and I'm not holding it against my lashes very long at all, just a second or two.

Do I need to use this BEFORE applying mascara? Do I need to change the mascara I'm using (currently using 2 thin coats of Maybelline Lash Expansion in Black and 1 quick coat of Maybelline Great Lash in Blackest Black). Are the Maybelline mascaras too watery? Too waxy? Do I need a more high-end mascara, like maybe the DiorShow or YSL?

Please help. I hate to have to return this thing to Ulta. Sad

TIA! Smile
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's probably the mascara you're using. Try Maybelline's Full'n'Soft waterproof formula (this is important--it must be this formula and not the regular kind). This has been my gold standard as far as mascara that works well with heated lash curlers.

I also don't wait for my mascara to dry before using the curler. I apply the mascara, comb a bit with my Tweezerman lash comb, then use the Panasonic right away. The F'n'S mascara goes on kind of "wet" rather than waxy, dry or soft, so using the heated curler on it kinda makes it dry in the correct shape. Does that make sense?

Are your lashes are very straight and hard to curl? If so, try holding the thing against your lashes for a bit longer than a second or two, like count to ten. Hold it at the base and then move slowly up to the tip.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Nijey, Angel thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I have to tell you though, I HATE HATE HATE waterproof mascaras! Did I tell you I hate them?! Truthfully, I'd rather return the curler than use a waterproof mascara as they wreak havoc on my lashes.

My lashes are super straight, but not hard to curl. I can tell you that if I held the curler to my lashes for 10 seconds, it'd melt every last bit of mascara off, all the way down to the roots!

I don't know what to do. Maybe one of the other girls has a suggestion for a mascara that's not waterproof?
Mabsy

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl - do try a different mascara but it doesn't have to be a waterproof one. I use Dr Hauschka mascara with that curler (when I can actually be bothered using that curler) and I have had no problems at all. HTH
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, I guess I should've emphasized that the texture of the mascara (wet and thin rather than dry and waxy or creamy) is more important than the waterproof part. I meant that, if you want to try the Maybelline F&S mascara, then please use the waterproof version as the regular version is no good with a heated curler.

Also, counting to 10 is just something I do because my lashes suck. But the curler probably actually only on there for 4-5 seconds as I count rather quickly.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
MermaidGirl - do try a different mascara but it doesn't have to be a waterproof one. I use Dr Hauschka mascara with that curler (when I can actually be bothered using that curler) and I have had no problems at all. HTH

Mabsy, thank you for your input. Angel I appreciate it. Will have to try the Dr. Hauschka mascara as I really want to use the Panasonic lash curler - even though it melted my mascara off, I could see that it put a very nice, natural-looking curl in my lashes!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Nijey wrote:
Ah, I guess I should've emphasized that the texture of the mascara (wet and thin rather than dry and waxy or creamy) is more important than the waterproof part. I meant that, if you want to try the Maybelline F&S mascara, then please use the waterproof version as the regular version is no good with a heated curler.

Also, counting to 10 is just something I do because my lashes suck. But the curler probably actually only on there for 4-5 seconds as I count rather quickly.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Nijey, yes the info you provided does clarify things - thank you! Angel I can definitely see where texture is a big issue with this curler!
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Glad to be of assistance Very Happy
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl,

I'm having the same problems with this particular heat curler. I have my Blinc heated curler and that one doesn't seem to melt off the mascara as much as the Panasonic since it doesn't get as hot (AAA battery vs AA battery). I'm using the same mascara as I always have, but definitely the Panasonic one melts it off more so I don't even get the curl I do with the Blinc. I use another coat after I use the Panasonic curler.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:32 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl, I use Max Factor Lash Perfection mascara right now but here is my trick/routine and so far, it works with all others I have (mainly Lancome Definils) except Blinc Kiss Me (too waxy - never use):

Curl for 3 seconds with my Tarte (manual) curler

Apply one light coat of mascara and then turn on the Panasonic heated curler

Once it reaches the pink stage, my lashes are already dry and I then apply the curler to my inner lashes first, moving up slowly and only leaving in place maybe 1-2 seconds. Then, I do the outer lashes and focus on the ends for a sweep curl.

After, I have my perfect curl, I apply a second coat of mascara.

Hopefully, this will help. I think it might be both your mascara and the fact that there is too much product to start.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Scally! I haven't yet picked up the Tarte curler, but its on my list.

Ok, so I need to go easy on the amount of mascara I'm putting on, curl with the Panasonic and then add more mascara. Got it. Sounds like a plan and I'll give it a go next time I do my face!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Yep! That's it, girl! I love the combo of the Tarte (for a light pre-curl) and then what the Panasonic does to create lovely, sweeping curls.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:17 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Yep! That's it, girl! I love the combo of the Tarte (for a light pre-curl) and then what the Panasonic does to create lovely, sweeping curls.
I concur: lovely, sweeping fan of curved lashes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Update: I used the heated curler per Scally's instructions and I got a ridiculously great curl! Yay for me! I actually ended up with a couple mascara dots on my eyelid sort near my eyebrow and that's amazing because I have such short lashes.

Per Mabsy, Nijey and Scally's suggestions, I may also go ahead and try a different formula mascara to see how that goes. Like Aries noted, I reapplied the stuff I currently have after using the curler.

Nice result! As always, THANK YOU ladies for your helpful input - I really appreciate it! Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Update: I used the heated curler per Scally's instructions and I got a ridiculously great curl! Yay for me! I actually ended up with a couple mascara dots on my eyelid sort near my eyebrow and that's amazing because I have such short lashes.
Woo-hoo!! I’m glad it worked for you because I’d have felt really bad if you ended up thinking you wasted your money on this curler after you bought on my recommendation (it was my recommendation, right?! Listen to CareKate, all full of herself Embarassed )....

MermaidGirl wrote:
Per Mabsy, Nijey and Scally's suggestions, I may also go ahead and try a different formula mascara to see how that goes. Like Aries noted, I reapplied the stuff I currently have after using the curler.
Just to expound upon what they already told you, it’s the really waxy formula mascaras that can cause problems with heated curlers because – obviously! – the heat melts the wax. This is a real problem with those “lash-tube” technology mascara formulas like Blinc KissMe, Mirenesse Secret Weapon and/or Kanebo 38 (I think that’s the name). A drugstore brand I suspect would also be problematic is Maybelline’s “Full and Soft” mascara (which is actually really nice b/c you don’t end up with those “crunchy” lashes that I hate) because it is a very wax-based formulation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:

Nice result! As always, THANK YOU ladies for your helpful input - I really appreciate it! Smile

Yay, yay, triple yay! So glad it worked out! I gotta tell you and yes, Carekate with your oversized dumpling head, I am a huge fan of the Panasonic/Tarte route. My lashes look almost fake now with only one coat mascara. Smile Ha!

Time for a new tint, I think!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Okay I'm going to have to try this again. I just can't get the curl from the Panasonic like I do with the Blinc heated curler for some darn reason Mad . I use the same mascara as I did for the Blinc, but the Panasonic completely melts my mascara off and I don't think I'm using something that's too much wax based. I wish it almost had 2 settings. I may try the pre-curl with a traditional curler first, but now I have to go and buy a decent one. Unfortunately, because I am asian I highly doubt that the tarte will work for me as well as it has for others. I may invest in a Shiseido or Shu Uemura, are these curlers really shaped differently?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
I may invest in a Shiseido or Shu Uemura, are these curlers really shaped differently?
Yes, they really are -- at least according to Asian girls on MUA who have tried just about all of them: the "curve" of them is supposed to be specifically formed to fit the Asian-shaped eye.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Woo-hoo!! I’m glad it worked for you because I’d have felt really bad if you ended up thinking you wasted your money on this curler after you bought on my recommendation (it was my recommendation, right?! Listen to CareKate, all full of herself Embarassed )....

Carrie, of course it was your recommendation that prompted me to get the Panasonic! I've been lemming it since I first read your review! And besides, even if I hated it I'd never "blame" you - we all know not everything works for everybody, plus I'd just chalk it up to my dweeby-ness that I couldn't get it to work!

You know, you are creating a bunch of co-dependent women! I get the impression its not just me who won't make a skin-care or cosmetics move without thinking "WWCD?" ("What Would Carrie Do?") When you finally get around to creating your website, you need to sell t-shirts with that logo on them!

carekate wrote:
Just to expound upon what they already told you, it’s the really waxy formula mascaras that can cause problems with heated curlers because – obviously! – the heat melts the wax. This is a real problem with those “lash-tube” technology mascara formulas like Blinc KissMe, Mirenesse Secret Weapon and/or Kanebo 38 (I think that’s the name). A drugstore brand I suspect would also be problematic is Maybelline’s “Full and Soft” mascara (which is actually really nice b/c you don’t end up with those “crunchy” lashes that I hate) because it is a very wax-based formulation.

Yeah, the lash tubes mascara scare me - I cannot get past the idea that they'd feel like you'd be ripping out your lashes everytime you needed to remove it. I will continue to experiment with different types of mascaras just for practice to see which ones work best with the curler, but I must say, I do LOVE my Panasonic!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
I may invest in a Shiseido or Shu Uemura, are these curlers really shaped differently?
Yes, they really are -- at least according to Asian girls on MUA who have tried just about all of them: the "curve" of them is supposed to be specifically formed to fit the Asian-shaped eye.

i'm not asian, but have very almond eyes. (think there was some cross-pollenation or raping and pillaging in my russian bloodline because i really do have almost asian eyes! for all those that were making fun of suri cruise -- it can happen.) both the shiseido and the shu are the *only* ones that work on them. and, trust me, i've tried almost all of them.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Is the Shu Uemura eyelash curler designed only for Asian eyes? I have it and have mixed feelings about it but then I am not of Asian heritage. Did I buy the wrong curler? I'd heard so many good things about this one.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl[b] - great idea about the shirt! Heheh it is so true.

[b]ariesxtreme[b] - supposedly Shiseido interviewed over how many thousands of Asian ladies to find the typical eye curve. That said I have bought myself a shiseido 214 and while it curls much better than my $4 korean curler it still doesn't fit my eyeshape and I am Chinese. If you want to try it out, check outwww.gooddealer.com orwww.adamsbeauty.com as one of them stocks it for cheap! Plus shiseido pad refills are available (though sold out from memory).

[b]Anna-in-Sweden[b] - if the eye shape doesn't work for you then there is nothing much that can be done. Sell it and try out Tarte curler as that is carekate's fav!
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Is the Shu Uemura eyelash curler designed only for Asian eyes? I have it and have mixed feelings about it but then I am not of Asian heritage. Did I buy the wrong curler? I'd heard so many good things about this one.

The Shu apparently has a deeper curve than the Shiseido, making it a better fit for those with deeper-set eyes (the typical Western person). The Shiseido has a wider, shallower curve, making it better for those with more shallowly-set eyes (the typical Asian person). So the Shu should probably work for you, Anna.

HTH!
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you. I think then that maybe I am curling my lashes the wrong way, or is there such a thing? I curl them before I use mascara and put the curler at the base of my (top) lashes. For some reason they always look like backwards capital "L's" if you know what I mean. Am I curling my lashes the wrong way?
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anna, do you mean when you curl your lashes they make a 90 degree angle? If so that is because you can pressing too hard. I like to do a number of firm but not hard presses along my lashes, from the base of the lashes to the tips. I don't do the base, mid and then tip 3 presses because I have asian lashes. Short and straight Crying or Very sad .
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |