Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

help! dermatitis around nose
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
My mother thinks I have a drug problem because the skin around my nose is chronically flaky and red!! (she doesn't really) It has been an issue for years, but I just moved to a colder climate and it's getting worse. My skin is prone to breakouts, so I'm hesitant to slather my nose in creams. Any ideas? I'm wondering about maybe a silicone moisturizer just around my nose...
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Now that you mention this, I had this problem for years--- even if the rest of my skin was perfect, I couldn't go out in public without some concealer around my nose. Unfortunately, I can't remember what finally cleared it up, but I think it was the combination of a good moisturizer (like Beauty Without Cruelty's Maximum Moisture Cream), and gentle exfoliation. Good luck, I know how annoying it is!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
I had the same issue - around my nose, at my temples and behind my ears. I tried all kinds of heavy duty creams with no luck. Finally went to the dermatologist who prescribed something. Cleared everything up within a day or two. I don't use it every day, only when I have a flair up. It wasn't cheap but certainly worth it!
weaholt
5% products discount

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
I have recently got rid of a bout of contact dermatitis on my lips and round my mouth. It was really unsightly. It was actually caused by a reaction to something in a lip balm I used - my Dr thinks it could be lanolin. The thing was, I had tried to treat it myself at home and everything I used contained lanolin and I was left battling with it for just over 2 months!!

My Dr gave me some hydrocortisone ointment 1% and advised me to use some lanolin free emollient cream. I did and wihtin the space of a day it had almost cleared up!! Perhaps you could try something like this? Make sure you use hydrocortisone ointment and not cream though, as cream is very drying.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi waffle - On another thread, you mentioned that you're a tretinoin user. I know that with retinoids, I have to be careful when applying them around the edges of my nostrils -- for some reason this area is more sensitive and gets red and irritated more easily. And the area along the sides of my nostrils is more prone to flakiness with retinoid use. It's just a thought.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Ive got it too! Sad Except mine is in the middle of my nose, the septum area. Very unsighty! Mine appeared when I was preggo and never went away. Like Weaholt I have tried using lanolin...Im pretty sure it made it worse. Confused Im gonna try hydrocortisone ointment now and I have some Weleda Skinfood on the way...hope it works!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
thanks guys!
vonstella -- oh, mine is right at the septum too, and so fabulous, looks like I can't wipe my nose properly if I'm not meticulously on flake control.

m. april -- I don't think it's the tretinoin, that causes it since I had the dermatitis before I started using it. It does exacerbate it though if I get it too close.

StaceyA -- could you check on what your prescription is? I would be ever so grateful.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Now that you mention this, I had this problem for years--- even if the rest of my skin was perfect, I couldn't go out in public without some concealer around my nose. Unfortunately, I can't remember what finally cleared it up, but I think it was the combination of a good moisturizer (like Beauty Without Cruelty's Maximum Moisture Cream), and gentle exfoliation. Good luck, I know how annoying it is!

I am going to agree with the gentle exfoliation and a good moisturizer.

I would suggest the 2 minute miracle exfoliation gel by Ice Elements (you can get samples of this for the cost of shipping at http://iceelements.com ) followed by a drop of squalane after your serums and before your moisture lotion.

If redness is a big issue, then put on a thicker layer of the 2mm and just let it sit for about 20 minutes. The aloe that they use is pharmacuetical grade and will help to reduce the redness, as well as help with the hydration.

A bit of glycolic or aha a couple times a week, may help speed up the process too.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
thanks guys!
vonstella -- oh, mine is right at the septum too, and so fabulous, looks like I can't wipe my nose properly if I'm not meticulously on flake control.

rofl! I know *exactly* what you mean! Im a fan of the dab technique myself! Its soooo annoying, Ive got it in my ears too, yes IN them! Rolling Eyes I get nasty flare ups if I dont watch my diet or if I use a harsh soap.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Vonstella,

If you take a Q-tip with some squalane, that will help.

You can also try neosporin gel or baby oil... If there is any cracking of the skin at all, go for the neosporin gel.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
Vonstella,

If you take a Q-tip with some squalane, that will help.

You can also try neosporin gel or baby oil... If there is any cracking of the skin at all, go for the neosporin gel.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

Thanks Bosoxy! I use a mix of Emu and aloe gel, that helps but sometimes I rub it at night so the next day its all raw! Embarassed Then I need the big guns, Im hoping the Weleda Skin food will help with that.... Pray
StaceyA

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Waffle - the lotion is Cutivate 0.05%. I know we all have our own skin issues but since getting this, I've been one happy girl! Cool My derm told me that I actually have something similar to dandruff on my face and also prescribed a dandruff shampoo to wash my face with - which I decided not to use since the lotion worked so well.

Good luck finding what works best for you!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
StaceyA,

Welcome to the seborrhea club. It is the pits. I have it on my face and on my scalp. The scalp one is very difficult to control. I am sure your derm told you to use cutivate very sparing. Glad you found something that works for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
I had a horrible red rash around my nose which sometimes itched, and nothing got rid of it.. UNTILL I read about sandalwood. I bought some sandalwood powder from ebay for about £5 and every day I mixed some up with aloe vera gel and plastered it on the rash.Left it for 10 - 20 mins or so, until it was dry.Rinsed off.
after ten days the rash was totally gone, and it never came back. I couldnt have been more amazed. And relieved.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |