Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oxygen... question from the confused
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Since joining this forum I have read a lot of interesting posts about people getting positive results from oxygen products, O2 mists, serums, masks etc. I of course have decided that I NEED all of them NOW Smile but I haven't bought any yet.

The oxygen products are confusing to me as what I have learned before is that free radicals that contain oxygen are some of the worst offenders as far as causing cell damage, hence the use of antioxidant serums, creams, masks etc to stop oxidation.

So, oxygen ladies, could you please help me understand? Antioxidant or oxygen therapy, which is correct? Are the oxygen products really delivering oxygen at the cellular level? If so, what are the benefits and does using an antioxidant product cancel the oxygen out? hmm
VoltesV
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
*Bump*

I'm curious about this topic as well. Anyone?
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I personally wouldn't use oxygen products on my skin (because of the reasons you have stated).
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
stellamaris wrote:
Since joining this forum I have read a lot of interesting posts about people getting positive results from oxygen products, O2 mists, serums, masks etc. I of course have decided that I NEED all of them NOW Smile but I haven't bought any yet.

The oxygen products are confusing to me as what I have learned before is that free radicals that contain oxygen are some of the worst offenders as far as causing cell damage, hence the use of antioxidant serums, creams, masks etc to stop oxidation.

So, oxygen ladies, could you please help me understand? Antioxidant or oxygen therapy, which is correct? Are the oxygen products really delivering oxygen at the cellular level? If so, what are the benefits and does using an antioxidant product cancel the oxygen out? hmm

You can find the answers in the following thread

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9260&highlight=psf+oxygen+serum

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this a long time ago before I learned to be a better searcher... the thread Wild Cat posted does cover it and also Miranets has a Zenbiotic thread that discusses this as well.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:37 am      Reply with quote
There are mixed reviews about whether this harms or benefits the skin. I've decided to be on the safe side and cut down use of my PSF O2 serum, I'm using it only when I'm red, irritated and/or itchy.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:49 am      Reply with quote
I am one of those people for which PSF 02 serum did absolutely nothing... It was indeed like putting water on my skin, so it was not the best investment... I am not sure that this is really necessary (unless you use a whole oxygen "line"), especially since it is so wonderful to have a nice, simple regime and not have to introduce more waiting times and other potential complications into one's routine. I believe that a good vitamin c serum is a great antioxidant.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:13 am      Reply with quote
I am still a big PSF O2 serum fan Very Happy
I believe it also help other actives to penetrate skin deeper.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
I am still a big PSF O2 serum fan Very Happy
I believe it also help other actives to penetrate skin deeper.

Wildcat,

you are very knowledgeable, and I'm of the homeopathic persuasion like you, so my question is: how do you know it helps penetration of actives? just curious, since I also realized somewhere along the way that
1. i will never know if it does or not
and
2. weekly exfoliation helps, too!

your opinion will be much appreciated....

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:38 am      Reply with quote
avalange,
I don't actually have scientific support for the effect of 02 serum. I believed what PSF's owner explained to me. I have a lot of respect for PSF products. But, I do know there were so many time I tried to eliminate this product from my routine (cuz it is expensive). I was always unsuccessful. When nothing else in my routine changed, the absence of O2 serum was missed. My skin just didn't look as good and PSF's Retinol Night Repair didn't absorb as well. I only use O2 serum at night because I have to conserve. I can't afford using it twice a day. You are right that Vit-C is a very good antioxidant and I also use Vit-C during the day. Maybe I am overloading my skin Rolling Eyes I believe in layering Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Any thoughts on the effectiveness of the derma wand/oxylight tools that are suppose to infuse the skin with oxygen?
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:

You can find the answers in the following thread

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9260&highlight=psf+oxygen+serum

I'm glad that you posted that thread again -- it's very informative. I am really liking my PSF O2 serum; I think that it's beneficial.
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:19 am      Reply with quote
I also wouldnt used oxygen products. I used Jane Iredale D20 mist but for some reason my skin looked worse. I used it for a week and then stopped.

Now my skin has returned to it usual self. I do occasionally break out but when using the D20 for some reason it made my face look awful.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:07 am      Reply with quote
My take on this is go for a long walk and your skin will get all the oxygen it wants. But heres a really good article that will dispel the myth of oxygenated creams,

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=154
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
What I don't understand is why people don't just add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into a cream they already have, which would make it an oxygen cream..(If they like hydrogen peroxide on their skin)

The KH products are pretty popular now, and here is the list of ingredients for the 1.7oz Oxygen Face Cream;

Ingredients:
Aqua Paraffinum liquidum Glycerin Stearyl alcohol Polysorbate 20 Hydrogen peroxide

(The Paraffinum Liquidum is mineral oil)

So wouldn't adding a few drops of hydrogen peroxide + an alcohol to baby oil be the same thing?

If not, I'd be interested to know why not.

Any thoughts?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
The short answer is, I don't think so. I'm sure someone can chime in with a marvelous explanation of the KH process but,at this time of night all I can do is copy & paste:

It was in fact a dual discovery. Firstly, Dr. Paul Herzog succeeded in stabilizing oxygen, in fixing it inside a cream. Secondly, this oxygen, contained in the emulsion in liquid form, was released in gas form when coming into contact with skin and caused a form of pressure, i.e. a mechanical effect which literally injected oxygen beneath the skin.

All I know is..it works....and, most importantly, it is not like putting HP on your skin.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 07, 2008 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
The short answer is, I don't think so. I'm sure someone can chime in with a marvelous explanation of the KH process but,at this time of night all I can do is copy & paste:

It was in fact a dual discovery. Firstly, Dr. Paul Herzog succeeded in stabilizing oxygen, in fixing it inside a cream. Secondly, this oxygen, contained in the emulsion in liquid form, was released in gas form when coming into contact with skin and caused a form of pressure, i.e. a mechanical effect which literally injected oxygen beneath the skin.

All I know is..it works....and, most importantly, it is not like putting HP on your skin.

Even though you are right, I think there are still several issues need to be considered.

1. THere is HP in the cream, and it will definitly contact your skin.

2. HP will react with reductive agents , such as VIt C, Vit E, rose hip or whatever reductive stuff which is common in skincare products.

3. From HP to oxygen, it is a chemical reaction, and it is very common for an oxidation-reduction reaction to produce free radicals as a side product. Free radical radicals are very harmful, both to beauty and health.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 am      Reply with quote
I have always been sceptical about oxygen products as I cannot understand how the oxygen can get into the skin. At the same time, I have a lot of respect for Swiss skincare companies as most of them have been around for a long time, do a lot of research and have a lot of long time users. The other thing you will find with most Swiss skincare companies is that they concentrate on one type of skincare and usually don't vary from it as their own research shows them that it can work. Examples are Valmont and dna/rna, Cellcosmet and their bio-integral cells and now Karen Herzog with their oxygen.
I don't think we will ever be told how Karen Herzog get the oxygen into the skin as it is probably a trade secret.
If anyone is capable of getting oxygen into the skin then it is probably Karen Herzog. I am not a user of the line but I do use Valmont and Cellcosmet and they certainly work for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bushy,
I always had some doubts about the hoopla regarding the acclaimed Swiss skincare but my experience with Herzog has led me to reevaluate all my skincare beliefs at this point. I will never use home made lotions and potions again particularly of the acid variety.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:34 am      Reply with quote
januarui wrote:
marina wrote:

Even though you are right, I think there are still several issues need to be considered.

1. THere is HP in the cream, and it will definitly contact your skin.

2. HP will react with reductive agents , such as VIt C, Vit E, rose hip or whatever reductive stuff which is common in skincare products.

3. From HP to oxygen, it is a chemical reaction, and it is very common for an oxidation-reduction reaction to produce free radicals as a side product. Free radical radicals are very harmful, both to beauty and health.

Hi Januarui,
I have copied and pasted a portion of an article here for your perusal. I've also included the link to the rest.

Commercially produced hydrogen peroxide has been used for medical purposes since 1920. Yet because hydrogen peroxide manufactured by the body is an activated oxygen species that can be an "intermediate" for the formation of free radicals like hydroxyl, the issue has been raised that commercially produced hydrogen peroxide may be undesirable to use in medical therapy and skin care. However, a closer look at recent findings in the field of free radical production is needed before reaching such a conclusion (4).

While the formation of the hydroxyl radical is essential for fighting off disease, it is the uncontrolled production of excessive hydroxyl that is harmful (4,5). There has been some concern about the ability of superoxide to react with hydrogen peroxide to form the hydroxyl radical. However, studies have shown that the direct interaction of hydrogen peroxide and superoxide is extremely slow compared to the dismutation or destruction of superoxide, making it very unlikely that his reaction takes place under biological conditions (5,6).

Dr. Charles Farr, the physician nominated for the Nobel Prize in medicine in 1993 for his research on hydrogen peroxide, found that hydrogen peroxide leads to the formation of hydroxyl radicals only under special circumstances, primarily when ferrous (iron) oxide is present (4). In normal cells iron exists primarily in the ferric (Fe3+) state, and thus hydrogen peroxide is not reduced to the hydroxyl radical. It instead is converted to molecular oxygen and pure water, therefore rendering hydrogen peroxide beneficial to the body.

When applied on the skin in a cream, hydrogen peroxide comes in contact immediately with catalase, which is particularly abundant in the epidermis, as well as the dermis. The enzyme is very rapid and potent (7). One molecule of catalase can convert millions of molecules of hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water within seconds (Cool. On the surface of the epidermis, hydrogen peroxide present in the liquid phase within the cream is converted to molecular oxygen, a gas which creates pressure. In certain correctly formulated hydrogen peroxide creams, this pressure is able to force the oxygen deep into the epidermis and dermis, where it is effective and can be measured.

http://www.shop.karinherzog.co.uk/web/knowledge/effective-oxygen-therapy.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
It seems the 'oxygen' in these creams is the result of the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide. So HP in the presence of H20, causes a gas, which converts the HP to oxygen..

Nothing magical about that. Anyhoo, here's the lowdown on Hydrogen Peroxide;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

ETA: A google of ["Hydrogen Peroxide" and "Skin"] will tell you the flip side of the "KH" website.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I just love how people who are not even using products feel educated enough to comment on the inefficacy of them.

Do any of you REALLY think that you are more enlightened than the Nobel group who awarded Dr. Herzog with a Laureate for his work in creating an oxygen cream that assists in wound healing? If hydrogen peroxide could be dripped onto a wound and provide the same results, they wouldn't have bothered to recognize his contributions to medicine. I mean, really.

Adding hydrogen peroxide to a cream is not going to give you the same product or results. Give me a break. Is anyone here a cosmetic formulator and if so, I can only assume you're packaging up your creations to start a world-wide takeover of the Swiss skin care industry. We should warn them of their impending doom. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Which reminds me Scally, did you see the pictures of the child's ear that had been severed and reattached? JoElla told me about it initially, they are quite graphic but the healing from the Oxygen Body 3% was quite amazing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
Which reminds me Scally, did you see the pictures of the child's ear that had been severed and reattached? JoElla told me about it initially, they are quite graphic but the healing from the Oxygen Body 3% was quite amazing.

Yes, I did and you're right, they were quite graphic but amazing, as well. Given the belief that drugstore variety hydrogen peroxide is exactly the same as what's in the KH creams because it's on the ingredient list of the products, wonder why they bothered with the Oxy Body 3%, ya know? I mean, they could've just popped down to the local Walgreens and saved themselves about $39.50. Bad Grin

I use the Oxygen Body 3%, actually,and it's wonderful. One of my top faves in the line.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
BluesHeart wrote:

Yes, I did and you're right, they were quite graphic but amazing, as well. Given the belief that drugstore variety hydrogen peroxide is exactly the same as what's in the KH creams because it's on the ingredient list of the products, wonder why they bothered with the Oxy Body 3%, ya know? I mean, they could've just popped down to the local Walgreens and saved themselves about $39.50.

Yessss. I wondered that myself. I was actually considering doing that myself later today, I'll grab some Johnson's and darn, I've got the peroxide here. I'll call it Vita Kimbo. Watch out Valmont, here I come.

I use the Oxygen Body 3%, actually,and it's wonderful. One of my top faves in the line. Bad Grin
Shock

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |