Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is DIY as effective as other products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Angyl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there. I've got a burning question and I figured I've been lurking for long enough now.

I've been getting into DIY (I'm waiting for some pretty bottles to put my Vit C serum into, and then I'm going full force) and everyone here seems to be really well versed in it. I've got a concern though.

I'm 23 and my skin has turned oily since i've moved from Missouri to Cali. Confused I want to do more for my badly neglected skin, but I dont have a ton of cash to spend. I like the idea of DIY for everything with the exception of sunscreen, but I'm worried it won't work as well as other, commercially-made products. For example, if i make my own night moisturizer, will it work as well as something with retinol? Will a clay mask I make work as well as the Got2B Pure Intent mask that I discovered b/c of this site?

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Angyl,

I prefer DIY because my skin seems to react badly to any complex commercial product. The more simple the product, the better my skin likes it. Laughing

Now, as for your question regarding making your own moisturizer and will it work as well as retinol. Um ... retinol is an irritant ... and it's function is to exfoliate, thereby revealing the "new" skin beneath the dead skin cells it helps to remove. There are other things that also exfoliate ... and it really depends upon your individual skin as to whether or not one or the other works or doesn't.

That said, it's much cheaper, [at least in Canada], to have your doctor prescribe a Retin-A type [tretinoin] preperation than to purchase products which have the less effective retinol form of Vitamin A.

If your skin likes the prescription strength Retin-A ... you can always get it in cream form. However, bearing in mind what it is that Retin-A is supposed to do, it's not recommended that you use an additional moisturizer with it.

I make a very effective salysalic acid/glycolic acid toner that I like a lot ... and it's job is to exfoliate and keep my skin clear. I use a separate moisturizer afterwards.

As for the masks, you can add anything to want to add to a DIY version of masks ... as well as using a variety of clays. There's no reason why a DIY mask wouldn't work as well or better than a commercial product.

Hope this helps.

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary! I think my skin is turning into your. I used to have perfect skin, no problems except the occasional dry patch, but I've had acne for the first time in years since I've moved. I think it's the change in climate. Cetaphil isn't working and neither is that Olay regenerist stuff. I actually think it may be causing more breakouts somehow.

I'm not sure about the retinol, I've just heard that it's supposed to be good for 20something skin as a preventative measure. Your explanation helped though.

How do you make your toner?
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angyl!

I think that there are a lot of great DIY recipes out there and that there is nothing wrong with mixing up your own stuff the way that you want it.

I do feel that everyone needs to feel comfortable with what they are using and to use some or all of their own formulas could be a good way to go.

There are some ingredients that should be mixed in a certain order and others that should not be mixed together, so there is a learning curve depending on the ingredients that one wants to use.

I have used a couple of DIY recipes and I feel good making my own sugar and salt scrubs, as well as an occassional aspirin mask, but have decided to let someone else do the majority of the work... Laughing Laughing

As for your acne, have you tried tea tree oil?

If you are not getting the results that you want and are want to try something Ice Elements has a great acne serum that is very reasonably priced and contains no bezoyle peroxide.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I like making my own products, I know what goes in, how much of what and so forth and it tends to be simplier without all the extra added ingredients that my skin may not like.

I've made my own Vit-C serum from this board and my skin loves it, and so does my aunt and my mom.

The way I feel is that you can make just as good as products that are out there in the market in the privacy of your own home and even better since you can custom tailor it to your needs. Don't get me wrong, I still do buy certain products just because I may not have the time nor the funds to buy the ingredients, but if I can make it I will.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
I like making my own products, I know what goes in, how much of what and so forth and it tends to be simplier without all the extra added ingredients that my skin may not like.

I've made my own Vit-C serum from this board and my skin loves it, and so does my aunt and my mom.

The way I feel is that you can make just as good as products that are out there in the market in the privacy of your own home and even better since you can custom tailor it to your needs. Don't get me wrong, I still do buy certain products just because I may not have the time nor the funds to buy the ingredients, but if I can make it I will.

Same here. I make what I'm comfortable making and buy what has proved itself to me. Too many products add only a small portion of a particular active just for the label value. And, of course, there's a case to be made for adding lesser or only moderate amounts suitable for the general population. Therefore, the reason I really like DIY is that I can control the amount of a particular active and tailor it to my skin's needs.

Ari
DIY Girl
5% products discount

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
As my message ID may have given away, I LOVE making my own stuff!! It is every bit as effective as store bought stuff -- I have found, usually even more so.

Another great thing is that there are just so many possibilities, and you are never left with a ton of anything that doesn't work for you (unlike many store bought products). You just make a bit to try and if you like it, make more, if you don't just toss out the rest of the little bit you made!!

Also, it is great fun to find cheap things -sometimes already laying around your kitchen or house that used in combination, produce awesome results! You can supplement your recipes with a few "specially ordered" ingredients which (at least for me) tend to last nearly indefinitely and can be used in many different homemade products.

Happy experimenting, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you have about making new recipes, there are many guys and gals here that are very knowledgeable and more than willing to help.

Finally, please share your discoveries and results with us too...we love trying new things that work for others!
debbied
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Have to agree with DIY Girl! I love that the products are fresher, you control the amounts & you can adjust to compliment your particular skin care needs. I personally don't make many products (don't have time & chemistry was never a strong suit)but I prefer to buy DIY. There are some great sources here to look into. So you may want to try making your own products, some folks love to experiment and save lots of money doing it! Good luck!
bekka

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes DIY can be more effective than store bought. Although, I'm not ready to give up all my Lancome' goodies Laughing You indeed have the freshness of product and you also have the ability to formulate for your own individual skin care needs. Huggs, Bekka
rayna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I do not know others, but honey is definitely a great DIY skincare. It can kill bacteria and hydrate your skin. Sometimes, I just used it as a mask. It calmed my skin, and made my face glowing! Wink
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |