Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
After a Visit to your Hairdresser, can you...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
not wait to get home and restyle it the way you like, or do you like the way your hairdresser styles your hair after a cut/blowdry? My hairdresser makes my hair way too poofy on top and I'm always patting it down on the ride home.

The other thing I noticed is that I tend to "tweak" her cut on my own if I don't like the way it looks after I style it. I snip snip here snip snip there (and a couple of fa la la's). What's up with THAT?

I've been seeing her for over two years because she does my color perfectly - but I am never fully satisfied with the cut. I've shown her exactly what I want but for some reason, she doesn't quite get it right...

Time to break up with her and find a new one?

Why do I feel so guilty about cheating on my hairdresser?

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I used to feel like that when I went to Aveda and then my local salon. They used to make my hair big even though I told them many times I like asmoother look.

I changed HD and am very happy now.
She listens.
Very Happy
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Maria, I can say without a doubt, you're not alone... Laughing I have never been to a hairdresser, that I haven't come home and had to do something.. No matter if it was styling, recutting or even recoloring..

Once I went to have a few low lights put in my hair {had a pic even}and came out with, I kid you not, all BROWN hair! I've never had brown hair in my life, and I can assure you, I didn't have it for long...

I've had one stylist who cut my hair like I wanted, but only so far as giving me the under cut. She wouldn't, for anything, NOT give me that darn pointy thing in the back... I wanted it basically the same length all the way around.. But noooo, the sides were shorter, ending up in that point.. HATED IT!!!!

And we won't even go into the time I went in, WITH a pic of what I wanted, and came out with {I'm embarrassed to tell you this, but it wasn't my idea} a mullett... Mad Shock

I do my own color and cut it myself.. I don't think anyone could ever get me to step foot into a solon for any service for myself, ever again...

We're paying them to do what we want, why won't they... Question Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm Kiki wrote:
Maria, I can say without a doubt, you're not alone... Laughing I have never been to a hairdresser, that I haven't come home and had to do something.. No matter if it was styling, recutting or even recoloring..

Once I went to have a few low lights put in my hair {had a pic even}and came out with, I kid you not, all BROWN hair! I've never had brown hair in my life, and I can assure you, I didn't have it for long...

I've had one stylist who cut my hair like I wanted, but only so far as giving me the under cut. She wouldn't, for anything, NOT give me that darn pointy thing in the back... I wanted it basically the same length all the way around.. But noooo, the sides were shorter, ending up in that point.. HATED IT!!!!

And we won't even go into the time I went in, WITH a pic of what I wanted, and came out with {I'm embarrassed to tell you this, but it wasn't my idea} a mullett... Mad Shock

I do my own color and cut it myself.. I don't think anyone could ever get me to step foot into a solon for any service for myself, ever again...

We're paying them to do what we want, why won't they... Question Confused

Oh My God, Kiki, fricken hysterical on the mullet thing! I can so relate! When "The Rachel" came out (from Jennifer Anniston when Friends first started) I HAD to have the cut, so I brought the picture to a new hairdresser (we had just moved to the area and I was trying to find one) and the cut she gave me was a cross between a Carol Brady (of the Brady Bunch) shag and a mullet. I guess she gave me a shmullet! Laughing It was horrible!!!!! Needless to say, never went to her again!

Maria

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
I can SO relate to this! I've only had one good stylist my whole life and she up and moved to another state!

Why oh why do stylists think just 'cause you're over 50 you need to have your hair poofy and winged back over your ears? My hair is fine and thin and they just WILL poof it 'til you can see daylight clear through no matter what I say.

I used to rush to the car and restyle it there. Now, I just do it right there in the chair with her looking on. Bad Grin

Ari
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
... the cut she gave me was a cross between a Carol Brady (of the Brady Bunch) shag and a mullet. I guess she gave me a shmullet! Laughing It was horrible!!!!! Needless to say, never went to her again!

Maria

A SHMULLET?!?!?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing

OMG! That is the funniest thing ever! I am SO appropriating that word ... now all I need to do is figure out how to work it into a conversation somehow!

*Note to self: don't ever read Maria's posts while drinking anything; said drink will invariable be choked on or blown out the nose, and blowing carbonated drinks out one's nose is most uncomfortable!* Very Happy
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:48 am      Reply with quote
I guess I'm very lucky. After several really bad hair mishaps (including one where my hair ended up being Cyndi Lauper orange!), I've been with my current stylist for a very long time (over 10 years) and she's never ruined my hair.

She cuts it EXACTLY like I want it every single time - she has never once cut more off than I wanted. She has actually used a ruler in the past to get the amount right. And she's a blonde hair color expert. The only thing she's ever done that had to be fixed was one time she had the lightest blonde color foils in one section of my bangs accidentally all lined up, so when the foils came off, I had a whitish streak on one side of my bangs. Another time she didn't let the color come up all the way in one section, so I was a little too golden for my taste.

Both times she's corrected the problem with no attitude whatsoever and never charged me. I should mention that she was 9 months pregnant with her third child one time and the other time, she had just lost her husband in a plane crash (he was the pilot), so the amazing thing is that I came out of the salon with any hair at all. If I was in her condition those times, I wouldn't have been able to work. She's the best and I told her if she ever quits doing hair, I will hunt her down and MAKE her do mine! She's pricey but worth every penny. She rocks!

I truly think the ones that don't give you what you want don't really know how to cut, color or style hair that well - they are just winging it and doing what they "think" will end up with the result you want. My girl was trained by Allen Edwards (he's the cat who took over John Peters' salons and also the one who created Farrah Fawcett's famous 'do "the Farrah") and Toni & Guy, plus she has natural talent. I don't know what I'd do without her.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
I have been going to the same HD for over 10 years. She is excellent with coloring, and she cuts my curly hair well (although, I also end up with a bit of a point in the back. When it bothers me enough, I trim that myself because I don't want to lose any other length off the back). However, she cannot style my hair! I usually walk out of there and put it in a ponytail for the rest of the day. I do think about leaving her, but she cuts well and colors well. Also, I don't want to have to break in a new stylist who might be scissor-happy or a crappy colorist. The trial and error with that part takes longer to fix than a bad one-time styling job.
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I can so relate!! I have somewhat curly hair and right now (thankfully), I like the guy who cuts and styles my hair. However, I've had my share of stylists who go overboard and have way too much fun with my curly hair as they seem to enjoy spraying, crunching and blowdrying, spraying, crunching and blowdrying, and MORE SPRAYING, CRUNCHING AND BLOWDRYING until I inevitably end up looking like a poodle or a fair-skinned person of northern european descent with an afro! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I can totally relate! I have long, fine hair, and I wear it blown back ala Angelina Jolie with a TON of volume! OK, maybe sometimes it has some much volume it looks a little overboard, but hey, it's what I like. Anyways, for some reason when stylists dry my hair, they want to aim the dryer down and dry my hair flat against my head--- ugh!! Luckily my current stylist has figured out what I like and does it for me--- needless to say, I'll be sticking with her.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
I had a wonderful stylist, but he opened his own salon, doubled his prices, and stuck his head up his butt. I kept going to him for two more years, but the last straw was when he cut four inches off my hair because he was mad that I "cheated" on him.

I'm going to an okay person right now. She is not able to create a hairstyle for me, though. I used to be able to go to the other one and say "I'm bored. Will you do something different?" and he'd come up with awesome new hair for me. I also don't like the way she does blonde highlights. I like to get them in the winter to blend in with my summer hair, and she always does them too pale. I'm a golden blonde, and the cool lighter blonde really looks harsh on me. I just don't get them anymore. SIGH... I've had her dye my hair other colors, and she does a great job, although it doesn't last more than about three or four weeks on me.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Mammamia wrote:
I inevitably end up looking like a poodle or a fair-skinned person of northern european descent with an afro! Laughing

LOL! That is sooooooo me! I often joke that I'd make a great albino extra in "Shaft".
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Oh boy...I really feel everyone's pain Laughing I'm with Kiki...I gave up and do my own cut & color now. Haven't stepped a foot in a salon in years and much happier (not to mention my wallets a lot fuller Wink ) for it.
Maria, I could not get home fast enough to fix my hair after I let a hair stylist have their way with it. The one time I actually had somewhere to go right after an appointment, I had to ask the stylist to hand over the blow dryer and step away from the chair Laughing I am not kidding!
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
My hairdresser does a great cut, but cannot style naturally curly hair at all! I never make plans for after the hairdresser, I always have to come home and fix it.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 am      Reply with quote
I have short hair and they always want to product into my hair. I have yet to find a product that doesn't feel sticky or clammy in some way. Confused

That said, for one brief period of 6 months, I have a brilliant cutter and a great colorist. Whenever I go to the hairdresser I remind myself that it is possible to come out with a great looking hair cut. Looking forward to repeating the experience again Laughing
polylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have natural wavey hair and my hairdresser always wants to straighten it, as this is the 'in' style at the moment. I just dont suit straight hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
not wait to get home and restyle it the way you like, or do you like the way your hairdresser styles your hair after a cut/blowdry? My hairdresser makes my hair way too poofy on top and I'm always patting it down on the ride home.

The other thing I noticed is that I tend to "tweak" her cut on my own if I don't like the way it looks after I style it. I snip snip here snip snip there (and a couple of fa la la's). What's up with THAT?

I've been seeing her for over two years because she does my color perfectly - but I am never fully satisfied with the cut. I've shown her exactly what I want but for some reason, she doesn't quite get it right...

Time to break up with her and find a new one?

Why do I feel so guilty about cheating on my hairdresser?

Maria Laughing

If I had just one cut and I was not happy, I don't leave tip and never go back.
I demand excellent customer service especially when I go to one of the most expensive hairstylist in Toronto.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |