Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
TCA Cross Method for Scars - Procedure, Process and Outcome
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, everyone! I just did another TCA Cross today and am documenting the process with - you guessed it - pictures. It will take about 4 days to go through the entire procedure and I will post images as I'm going along. I thought it would be beneficial for those who are dealing with scars (acne, chicken pox, etc.) or removing moles to see how it actually works. To give some background, here is the explanation of the method for dealing w/scars and moles:

The TCA CROSS METHOD
On clean skin this morning, I applied TCA 20% spot treatment that involves soaking little cotton-covered toothpicks I ordered (www.platinumskincare.com) along w/the TCA acid and then applied to the indentations until they frosted.

Once the frosting occured (you will feel stinging from the acid), I applied a mix of baking soda and water (no ratio - just baking soda with water added to a soupy consistency) to the acid spots. This is VERY important to neutralize the acid! Do not skip this. Then, I used a wet cotton pad to rinse the baking soda off while I worked on the next section of scars.

After about 30 minutes, the frosting disappears and your skin looks normal again.

This is a close up of the scars I am treating on one cheek:

This is a whole face so you can see that there is a mole on my lower neck that I am treating, as well.

Tonight, I will apply Skin Biology's Super Cop 2x to the scars with the same type of toothpick described above (to push the SC2x into the indentations only). I will continue to treat the scars each night until the scabs fall off (these will develop in a few days). I do not reapply the acid during the 4-5 day process. It is only done at the onset. The scabs will not cover easily w/makeup - they look like brownish spots. Not terrible but not great, either. I always time the worst of it for the weekend (Friday) when I won't be traveling for work. I recommend doing this beginning on Thursday or Friday so you have the weekend to be a crusty beauty queen (or king).

The result will be light pink and noticably less deep. Do not anticipate a complete filling in as it will take a bit of time for the collagen to build up to refill the scars. I did find it was almost impossible to keep the toothpick directly INSIDE the dents so the acid went a tiny bit outside of most of them. I don't worry about this too much. Just do your best to keep it localized.

As normal, I will continue use of my CP serum and emu/HA to assist with healing and rebuilding. I have done scar treatments of this type twice so far and have had success with removing moles and working on scars (these take much longer, though). I have a chicken pox scar on my forehead that is about 60% less deep than when I started. This is a good indicator of my progress. I plan to add regular 12.5% TCA peels to the scarred areas, as well. This should help minimize the pore size and overall orange peel texture. I should note that my skin texture has significantly improved already through the use of strong BHAs and regular exfoliation, as well. However, I am striving for baby-butt smoothness - this is my goal, anyway!

I will continue to add photos to this thread to cover the whole process - gory scabs and all - and hope this will be of some assistance to those who are considering the procedure or need some positive exposure to how acids can help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
SWG~

Wow you are SOOOOOO thorough with your write-up. THANK YOU!!! I for one will be anxiously awaiting your pics and outcome. I want to do a spot TCA peel (for hyperpigmentation above my lip, and on side of face) but don't have the courage yet. Add that to the fact that I'm job hunting and don't want to look miserable. You are so encouraging to me!!! Hope you don't mind if I query you in the future. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hiya! Absolutely, no problem. I know this is a big problem for people so hopefully, it can help. I do understand about job hunting; fortunately, the process does not take a long time and especially when coupled w/SC2x! Perhaps, you can afford to do it on a Thursday (you'd be okay for Friday) and then things should be done no later than Monday. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Scalawaggirl!! I've got a couple of scars from dear ole Mary Kay that I need to treat. I was treating them, but I got distracted and haven't done it in a while. I've got to try the cross-treatment, though because I was just spot-treating with a Q-tip. I don't have any CP, so I guess I'm off shopping.

I actually did a three-layer spot treatment on a sun-freckle on the back of my hand a couple of weeks ago. It's completely gone, so I'm considering doing my whole chest and cleavage area.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Scally, the pics and directions are AWESOME as usual! I'm really interested to try this to get rid of some moles and a couple chicken pock scars.

Tosca, please elaborate - what is a 3-layer spot treatment? Products used, percentages, amount of time, directions, etc.? Would love to know about this, too, as I have a sun spot on my arm. TIA! Very Happy
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Mermaid, a 3-layer or 2-layer is referring to applying an acid, normally neutralizing and rinsing, then reapplying again (or repeating the process for a 3-layer). Basically, it is a more aggressive method for eradicating a target.

I have heard of people also doing 2-layer peels w/TCA 12.5%, which before I must say I was afraid of doing. Now, though, I think as long as it is neutralized properly and monitored carefully, it's a good plan of action and I'll be trying it out soon myself.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Scally, thank you for your reply - now I know what Tosca meant! Tell me this: if you used 20% TCA for the Cross Method, why would you be afraid to use 12.5%? Its not stronger than the 20% is it? Also, any idea why its called the "Cross Method" - named after the person who invented it? Or is it because you cross yourself when it starts to burn?! Laughing
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:25 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Scally, thank you for your reply - now I know what Tosca meant! Tell me this: if you used 20% TCA for the Cross Method, why would you be afraid to use 12.5%? Its not stronger than the 20% is it? Also, any idea why its called the "Cross Method" - named after the person who invented it? Or is it because you cross yourself when it starts to burn?! Laughing

Well, my fear (and most other people are very wary of this acid because it's STRONG) was based on doing a larger area and the potential for scarring - that's pretty much it. I know it's been discussed here on EDS and there is one member (or two) who have done a 12.5% TCA peel. If I recall correctly, the girl who did it did not get the results she expected (minimal peeling and so forth) so she planned to do a 2-layer. However, it really depends on the acid itself and Ph because that absolutely affects the strength. I cannot recall where she got her acid but the link I gave is a reputable vendor where a lot of people use the acids. I have had good success w/their products and will be ordering the 12.5%, which is not stronger, the numbers increase as you'd think in terms of strength.

As for the name, I have no idea but I sure like your 2nd option! That's frakkin' funny!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
Thanks, Scalawaggirl!! I've got a couple of scars from dear ole Mary Kay that I need to treat. I was treating them, but I got distracted and haven't done it in a while. I've got to try the cross-treatment, though because I was just spot-treating with a Q-tip. I don't have any CP, so I guess I'm off shopping.

I actually did a three-layer spot treatment on a sun-freckle on the back of my hand a couple of weeks ago. It's completely gone, so I'm considering doing my whole chest and cleavage area.

Oooh, this does sound intriguing! I'm looking into a big-dog 12%.5 (possibly 2-layer) peel at some point. The cotton-tipped toothpicks work really well for the spot treatment because it gets into the dents much better so you will see changes for sure. It does take awhile, though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Today's update showing the beginning of the scab stage!!! Whee! Note, this is greatly accelerated through the additional use of SC2x (strongest CP from Skin Bio) so it will do some major remodeling. Things will be ugly for a few days!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Scalawaggirl-does this method also work on a raised scar or bump?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Wow, this is so cool to see your progress!

I've been using the CPs a bit, but I think that I can benefit from your method, now that I see it, so thank you for doing this (Skin Bio should have pics like this on their site).

I have a question: My husband has skin tags on his body under his arms. Is this a good method to remove them? Would the two or three layer method speed things up for him?

Thanks,

-- Bee Smile
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Scalawaggirl-does this method also work on a raised scar or bump?

Yes, it should. It is about either dissolving a raised bump or indented scar tissue and then the skin will start working on creating new skin, which pushes up (in the case of a indent scar) or new pink skin (for a mole or raised bump). That's why it takes so long for the scars (indented) to fill in.

Quote:
Wow, this is so cool to see your progress!

I've been using the CPs a bit, but I think that I can benefit from your method, now that I see it, so thank you for doing this (Skin Bio should have pics like this on their site).

I have a question: My husband has skin tags on his body under his arms. Is this a good method to remove them? Would the two or three layer method speed things up for him?

Yes, the 2-layer would definitely speed it up and skin tags should respond very well to this method.

Also, just wanted to add that scars during this treatment phase will look very much WORSE than before. My skin does not normally appear so scarred but it has been exaggerated by the acid/SC2x "assault". Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi scalwaagirl. I have similar problems, chicken pox scars, I had chicken pox when I was 16 and foolishly picked the scabs. One right in the centre of my forehead and also some on the cheeks. I also have open pores in my t zone, but lots of blocked pores on my nose and chin. While I don't suffer from spots I have tried everything to get rid of the blocked pores, currently using IS clinical.

I had also used the Diannayvonne supercop 2x but had given up on it. What is the TCA and would it be suitable to try all over to help with the pores?

I think your pictures are fab, and so helpful, keep up the good work. Very Happy
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:
I had also used the Diannayvonne supercop 2x but had given up on it. What is the TCA and would it be suitable to try all over to help with the pores?

I think your pictures are fab, and so helpful, keep up the good work. Very Happy

The TCA is 20% and was purchased from http://www.platinumskincare.com. The special cotton-tipped applicators were purchased there, as well. I would not use this strength to treat a wide area as it is VERY strong. Instead, I would recommend a 12.5% strength but also please research peels so you can be comfortable with the concept. Otherwise, you might actually burn yourself and cause more damage!!! Having said that, I plan to do a peel after this CROSS method for exactly what you mentioned - my orange peel areas on my cheeks. The spot treatment is for the ice pick and chicken pox scars. Basically, my process will be similar to the spot treatment except I will time each layer of the TCA 12.5% (will only do two but not the first time I attempt this), then neutralize with baking soda/water, then rinse. Since this is such a strong acid, I can expect a large, scabbed area and it can take a week to recover so I will have to schedule this during down time.

CPs are great but must be used appropriately. I'm not sure what your experience w/SC2x was but it's the strongest and WAY to strong for me to use for anything other than spot treatments or on my body (can take stronger products).

HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your prompt reply. I had been using the cp serum, also but had given up for a while, as didn't know if this was contributing to my blocked pores, but think they are just difficult to shift Sad

I had tried some of the acids also from Diannyvonne but noticed that it made my skin red in places, I ended up with red blobs in places where they were none, also very dry, so gave up as a bad job. My pores also seemed to look worse, probably due to rehydratin. Got worried that I was making things worse.

Had looked at platinumskincare before, may have a go with one of the peels if I am feeling brave. Thanks for all your help Surprised
loveskincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi scalwaagirl - This is great! Thanks for the detail write-up!
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
scalawagirl, how long after applying the tca cross method do you wait before applying supercop to the spots. I have two ice pick spots I would love to get rid of. They are about three times the size of my pores. Do you apply the supercop2x two times a day or just one, and do you have to "push" it in like the tca cross method? What do you apply after you rinse off the tca cross method to those areas? I am really sorry for all the questions. Its just so funny I came on here to do a search function for ice pick scars and didn't even have to because there you were at the top of the page. Thanks so much for this. Rae
Oh, forgot to add, would someone new at this start at the 20% or 12% just for spot treating?
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
scalawagirl, how long after applying the tca cross method do you wait before applying supercop to the spots. I have two ice pick spots I would love to get rid of. They are about three times the size of my pores. Do you apply the supercop2x two times a day or just one, and do you have to "push" it in like the tca cross method? What do you apply after you rinse off the tca cross method to those areas? I am really sorry for all the questions. Its just so funny I came on here to do a search function for ice pick scars and didn't even have to because there you were at the top of the page. Thanks so much for this. Rae
Oh, forgot to add, would someone new at this start at the 20% or 12% just for spot treating?

Rae, I apply the SC2x at night the same day I do the TCA and every night thereafter until the scabs peel off. I only apply the acid one time in the cycle - at the very beginning. So, it's only 1x/day at night for the SC2x and it is applied in the same manner as the acid (i.e. using a cotton-tipped toothpick for precise placement). I look like a green-dotted freak of nature when I spot treat w/the SC2x! I'll have to take a picture of that so you see what I mean - prepare yourself, it is frightful!

For neutralizing the acid, I apply a mix of baking soda and water (no ratio, just a mixture like soup). This immediately neutralizes the acid. Then I rinse w/a water-soaked cotton pad. After I'm all done, I rinse my whole face.

For spot treating, I recommend the 20% right away, even if you've never done it before. You need something very strong! Save the 12.5% for a full-face peel, if you get brave. Smile

HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
And this afternoon's update because the brown scabs are starting to show up. This is supposed to happen so you can get an idea of what to look for. Pretty, huh? Smile :

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Ouch. Does that hurt at all?
Thanks scalawagirl. I ordered a sample of the tca 20%. I hope its the right one, it had 5 percent lactic and 5 percent glycolic acid in it. I figured a sample would be waaaaay more than what I needed for those two spots. I do not have any supercop2x. I only have regular copper serum and emu oil.
How long do you leave the baking soda mix on before you wash it off? Thanks Rae
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
No, it doesn't hurt! Smile You do want to take care, though, because the skin is assaulted. I do not use any actives when my skin is undergoing spot treatment or even after a peel.

The baking soda mix is just a rinse. You don't leave it on for any length of time. Just rinse w/that and then with water. No wait time. See my first explanation for how long to leave the acid on.

You bought the right TCA. It does include lactic and glycolic. Now, for aggressive spot treating, I do recommend SC2x. You can get a sample from Skin Biology that will be more than enough and last a long time for spot treating. The regular CP can help with healing but you're looking for a big bang for your buck and only SC2x is going to do that. It can be used on its own for spot treating but I like the dual approach and find it much more successful than either alone. FYI, I still use my CP Serum routine at night, as well but that is before the SC2x (last thing I apply even after emu).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I read your first post over and over. I'm just a little confused on one area. I would let it frost, then apply cotton pad with baking soda and water to spots, then rinse my whole face with water right after, is that right?
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
I read your first post over and over. I'm just a little confused on one area. I would let it frost, then apply cotton pad with baking soda and water to spots, then rinse my whole face with water right after, is that right?

After you let the acid frost, then just dip your fingers in the baking soda mix and dab gently onto the scar. It will be neutralized at this time. If you are working on a lot of areas, as I did, it is helpful to do this so you can move on to the next one. After I gently dab the baking soda mix on, I wet a cotton pad with water and wipe away the baking soda mix. Nothing formal, mind you.

Does that make more sense?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think this method would work on a raised surgical scar? I have a big scar on my stomach (verticaly) from a car accident 25 years ago that I would love to get rid of. It looks like a centipide crawling up my stomach!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |