Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Hydrogen Peroxide as toner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I was on MUA looking at reviews earlier to see if I could find any *eureka!* products and I came across this as an idea for treating acne. Has anyone out there had any experience with doing this? It seems you need to dilute 50% hydrogen peroxide to 50% water ratio and be veeeeery careful of your eyebrows. I tried it a few hours ago and it seems nice for my skin.

I am trying to heal all my acne and prevent new breakouts without going broke. I'm doing all natural products right now and I'm just not willing to spend much more at the moment. I'm hoping that this will be a nice simple solution.

Anyone, anyone....
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hydrogen peroxide causes free radical damage. It works for acne because it is antibacterial, I'd stick with something safe like tea tree oil which is an antibacterial that does not attribute to the oxidation of cells.
Edited to say: I forgot aboutapple cider Vinegar! That helped to completely rid me of the minimal acne I had for years.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
ellyp I agree with dealated about the free radical damage. If you do a quick forum search for hydrogen peroxide it will turn up quite a few threads discussing the dangers of using this. Paula Begoun also does not recommend using hydrogen peroxide. Unfortunatly I don't have any solutions for what to use instead!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
elly, If you're curious about trying a toner withApple Cider Vinegar, it is one of the main ingredients in Zenbiotic's toner, and it's only like $8 so it doesn't hurt the wallet too badly. Works great for acne, IMO!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
*sigh*

I knew there must be something wrong with this idea because you all would have talked about it before. I have tried the apple cider vinegar toner but I guess I need to adjust my proportions because it was too drying for me (plus my sons love to make a big deal about "Ewwww. What is that smell????" They love the drama of it! Laughing ).

Back to the drawing board...

Thanks you all! I trust your opinions so much!!
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, I'm getting closer and closer to ordering that oxygen toner. I just need to use up more products and wait a few months before I can invest in some of the Zenbiotic products. I really like the Dr. H products but I'm starting to think some of them are definitely not my thing. Oh well. I have tried to give them a long go of it like they want you to so I will be ready to throw in the towel once I use what I have up. I was so hoping they were the answer to my problems too... Crying or Very sad
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
ellyp: If you find regular ACV too drying and don't want to get the Zen products yet you could go to your local health store and pick up an Earth Sciences Clarifying Astringent. It's ACV based and has 9 diff herbal ingredients + HA so it's not drying at all. I can't say it's particularly moisturizing but certainly doesn't dry me out. It balances quite well, and it's supposed to return your skin pH to normal after cleansers as it has a stated pH of 4. It's cheap too, only 12CAD (so I assume it'll be cheaper in the US probably 8-9USD) for an 8oz bottle.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
ellyp I agree with dealated about the free radical damage. If you do a quick forum search for hydrogen peroxide it will turn up quite a few threads discussing the dangers of using this. Paula Begoun also does not recommend using hydrogen peroxide. Unfortunatly I don't have any solutions for what to use instead!

Do you remember when she used to? LOL I followed her suggestion religously and my skin did improve but I had the same problem of cystic acne.
It was then I should have got to see my doctor but I was in my twenties at that time and I think they would not take me seriously because I was told that it is normal to still break out in your twenties. Ten years later, finally I went to see a dermo. and he did agree that in your 30's, getting painful acne and noticing that my skin is getting older and not healing as well as it used to be just showed that the over the counter skincare products was not as effective.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
When I was in college, a girl down the hall swore by using HP as a toner, so I tried it. It dried out my skin very badly to the point that it *hurt* -- and that was just after a couple days of using it. I'd be really careful with HP on facial skin.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
ellyp wrote:
*sigh*

I knew there must be something wrong with this idea because you all would have talked about it before. I have tried the apple cider vinegar toner but I guess I need to adjust my proportions because it was too drying for me (plus my sons love to make a big deal about "Ewwww. What is that smell????" They love the drama of it! Laughing ).

Back to the drawing board...

Thanks you all! I trust your opinions so much!!

I've actually heard that hydrogen peroxide is more gentle than benzoyl peroxide (the active ingredient in Proactiv). I say, if you feel it's working for you, use it. The only thing it might do is make your face feel dry, so moisturize afterwards, perhaps something with Vitamin C if you're really worried about that free radical stuff. On a side note, I've used Proactiv products for years with no adverse side effects. (Prepares to be stoned)... You may want to look into Philsophy products, as some of those use hydrogen peroxide to treat acne. I think.

I dunno, it's just me, my own opinion, that the fact that something is causing free radicals on my face is just not tangible enough for me to believe it. And since I've seen no evidence of it on my face... well. Very Happy
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
ellyp wrote:
I was on MUA looking at reviews earlier to see if I could find any *eureka!* products and I came across this as an idea for treating acne. Has anyone out there had any experience with doing this? It seems you need to dilute 50% hydrogen peroxide to 50% water ratio and be veeeeery careful of your eyebrows. I tried it a few hours ago and it seems nice for my skin.

I am trying to heal all my acne and prevent new breakouts without going broke. I'm doing all natural products right now and I'm just not willing to spend much more at the moment. I'm hoping that this will be a nice simple solution.

Anyone, anyone....

Don't do it.
Cheap, simple solution: Dickenson's Witch Hazel. Big bottle for $5 at drugstores.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I second the Dickenson's Witch Hazel rec. I totally forgot to mention that in my last post. I've been using it for years and getting great results, but it is 14% alchohol. I am going to look into Thayer's varieties that don't have alcohol, just for comparison's sake.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the new Clearasil ULTRA line???
Apparenly its supposed to clear your skin in 3 days. I bought the pads and the ointment- nothing cleared up in 3 days- my skin got extremely dry, itched like crazy and burned like heck, and the ingredients contain-----Salicylic acid and hydrogen peroxide!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for back acne??? I can't seem to stop breaking out on my back and have been through numerous courses of antibiotics (yes i finished each course completely). I have tried Proactive- topical antibiotics- nothing seems to work! I really wish I could wear low back clothing again!
alexisvu
5% products discount

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the Clearasil line before and swear that I will never use it again. Even for an oily skin person like me, it's very very drying and harsh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I came across an article abou the "miracles" of hydrogen peroxide on one of those borderline conspiracy theory/alternative view magazines. They do recommend H2O2 as an oxygen enrichment treatment for all sorts of ailments. Now before anyone pounces on me, they do specify very strict guidelines on how to use these mixtures too.

Firstly, I think the ratio you have is too high, so it may help clear the skin initially but it may also cause unwanted dehydration and free radical damage in the long run. I think there are two basic conceptions of how H202 should work on the skin - mostly, and wrongly, as an astringent type ingredient, which dries up the skin, and the second being an oxygenating ingredient. Again, the issue of oxygenation is controversial, and I would err on the side of caution when it came to products that have the potential to cause instant damage to the skin.

The mixture they recommended was buying the 20% food grade H2O2 and then diluting that again at no more than 10% in a distilled water base. They recommend to use this in every manner, internal, external, on your garden etc etc. But I guess we will just stick with the good old toner use Laughing

There are pro-H2O2 healing sites out there, but again these things must be taken with a grain of salt. I am not really for or against this theory, since I have experienced some benefits from such "oxygen enrichment" products but I have not really used anything that is based on H2O2.

I think my suggested alternative for clear up the skin is, moving away from oil-based products while supplementing with something that is still moisture rich - Zenbiotic is probably the only range which I could suggest to do this.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl,

Have you tried an AHA cream for your back acne along with Salycic acid?

I am thinking that if you use that along with an exfoliation glove while washing or maybe a loufa that it would clear up.

If you do happen to wander over to the Ice Elements site, as we spoke in another thread, do ask Brenda (the site Esthetician) about this in the Ask Brenda forum as I am sure that she would have some tips for you.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy- I will definately try more exfoliation on my back- I have heard from a few ladies now that it helped them. I have tried salacylic acid, but not an AHA cream- I will check out ice elements- thanks for your great advice!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome, Canadian Girl!

I hope that it clears up soon!
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Even hospitals went to saline solutions for cleaning wounds instead of hydrogen peroxide...the reason was that the HP was too harsh and actually limited healing. Probably due to the free radical damage....I think Benzoyl Peroxide can be used because it is used for spot treatment generally and not usually on a daily, all-over face treatment.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Clearasil ULTRA line???
Apparenly its supposed to clear your skin in 3 days. I bought the pads and the ointment- nothing cleared up in 3 days- my skin got extremely dry, itched like crazy and burned like heck, and the ingredients contain-----Salicylic acid and hydrogen peroxide!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for back acne??? I can't seem to stop breaking out on my back and have been through numerous courses of antibiotics (yes i finished each course completely). I have tried Proactive- topical antibiotics- nothing seems to work! I really wish I could wear low back clothing again!

I find that what helps me avoid most back acne is to wash, condition, and rinse my hair first, and then I clip it up (I keep one of those claw clips in the shower with me). I wash the rest of myself and use a body scrub for back acne (currently one by Mark-Clear All Over) on my back and upper arms. I use clean towels every day and no body lotion in the breakout areas. Some of my breakouts are very much related to hormonal shifts, so it doesn't prevent all, but it does most. Oh, during the summer, I spritz my back and upper arms with any BHA toner/astringent. Hth some. It is such a pain Sad

Tina
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
TinaMarie- thanks for the advice, I have started to put my hair up after rinsing out the shampoo and conditioner. I also got a natural brush to exfoliate my back- it feels really smooth, but the old break outs are still there. Its such a pain to take care of the back are, I'm so envious of girls with smooth spot free backs.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
TinaMarie- thanks for the advice, I have started to put my hair up after rinsing out the shampoo and conditioner. I also got a natural brush to exfoliate my back- it feels really smooth, but the old break outs are still there. Its such a pain to take care of the back are, I'm so envious of girls with smooth spot free backs.

You are welcome Smile I hope that it helps. I am also envious of girls with nice backs. Even when mine is clear, the red marks remain for a long time on me (years, in some cases). Plus, those back ones really hurt Exclamation

Tina
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys,
i started a new thread for back acne- check it out. I have been using Head and Shoulders Classic Clean shampoo on my back when I shower and my back it actually clearing up really fast!
CG
Nimmer
5% products discount

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Goo! Peroxide is terrible for your skin, it will dry it right out. It also has been known to leave scarring from acne.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
Hey guys,
i started a new thread for back acne- check it out. I have been using Head and Shoulders Classic Clean shampoo on my back when I shower and my back it actually clearing up really fast!
CG

Canadian Girl, I am so happy that it is working for you I am going to pick some up when I go shopping.

Tina
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |