Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Is the colour of your face the same as your neck/body?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
This might be a stupid question but on my quest to finding a perfect shade for MMU, I thought I found a good match (not 100% perfect, still experimenting) but enough to buy a full size before the discounted shippin + 10% discount ends. Anyways, so I wore it out today in natural light and realize my neck is slightly more yellow and a WHOLE lot paler than my face. But when I put my hand against my neck my hand is not as yellow toned either. However if I chose a color that matched my neck I would look very chaulky as my face is sort of darker with a more olive undertone. Am I using a wrong shade of MMU or is my face just a different colour than my neck? It's weird when I finish my makeup and see this difference, I never really noticed it before (I think I never really paid attention). However I think my face IS a little bit darker than my neck in shade. Does anyone else have this problem?
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Boy, do I ever have this problem! You know, I´m overall cool-toned, but if I try to use a cooltoned foundation, I look like I have a ruddy face and a yellow, pale neck. I can´t go to yellow either, or I´ll look really ill, and neutrals wash me out. So, what´s a girl to do?

I emailed Melissa at Uglogirl about this (I´m currently trying to find a match with that foundation), and shee basically taught me two things (you might know this already, though):

You need to concider your overall colour, i.e are you a cool, warm or neutral in eyes, hair and the like, while still working with your neck´s skin tone. Basically, what this means for me is that I might mix neutral with a slithly warm 50/50, warm with cool 50/50 or a neutral with a darker warm 2:1.

When trying out your foundations, first pull your hair back, so the colour won´t throw you off. Then try foundations from the lightest going darker if you have to, trying cools and warms first, neutrals last. That way you can see what the foundation draws out from your skin. When you find a good match, let your hair down Razz and see if that alters the colour. Then try blush on, to see how that works with the overall picture. (Melissa told me you might actually feel washed out, even if you have a match, before using blush or whatever, because the foundation can even out your skintone so much.)

Oh my, ramblings galore. If you take nothing more away from this, please know that you´re not alone. Wink
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Oh I feel so much better I'm not imagining things. Well what if it's not the undertones? I can fix it by easily adding more yellow to my foundation (and yes I look sickly with too much yellow as well so I tend to go for neutrals). But now I find my neck + body is SOOOO pale that my face (esp chin) looks darker than my neck. And of course I can't suddenly make my foundation lighter because I layer MMU for heavy coverage so I will get pretty chaulky if my foundation shading isn't right.

I just ordered a full size Alima, which is already a custom blend one that I found fit best for my face but suddenly I forgot about my NECK! I don't see the difference in artificial lighting though even if it's flourescent lighting, just in natural sunlight.

And I feel really stupid like I never test my MMU enough when I'm ordering the full size (and I can't keep ordering samples to mix because it's expensive shipping to Canada to be doing it multiple times!) One sample can only last me to mix 2 different mixtures of colours and it's still not enough to find the perfect shade, I'm starting to want to give up. Sad
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:42 am      Reply with quote
You know sormuimui, I always wondered about this too. My face seems much more 'pinkish' and tan than my neck. Its as if it doesnt belong. What I've found to help a little is to find a foundation/ concealer/ etc. that is very close to your face color if not a wee bit lighter. When you find this, it will look as if it disappears on your face while evening your skintone. A dust of setting powder, and it definetly tones down my pinkish/ tan face and blends it closer to looking as if the head on my shoulders really belongs there. What a concept, right?! Rolling Eyes Laughing . But, if you find a better way to 'fix this', be sure to let me know! =)
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:47 am      Reply with quote
What happens if you lightly dust your neck with the same colour? Would that even things out a bit, or would it just be too dark? I do have a brand new N3 Alima I could send you if you wanted to try it on your neck?

I really don´t know how to deal ith it myself. I have the same problem: If I want to match my neck, I look to chaulky, if I focus in my face, I have a telltale differnce between face and neck. I´m trying to go for a happy medium now, but like you say, samples only give you so many blends.

Hang in there thoough. MMU is so much better IMO, once a match is found. Hopefully someone else will have some great tips for us.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks that's what I'm aiming for. Sharkbait - I will try your idea of adding a little yellow to my foundation. I emailed Alima (they haven't shipped my order yet since it's the weekend) so I'm going to change my custom blend of O1 + N1 to O1 + W1 which will hopefully help. If not I'll try to mix the full size or add some G1 into it or something... Laughing
Something really weird though was I tried my samples on my neck just now, and whether it's G1, W2, O1, or my mixture of O1 + N1 they all seem to blend into my neck just fine! O1 blended the best (same with my face) but it has too much brown in it so if I do a full face it's too dark (thus the custom mix). With the mixture I looked at it on my neck at different lighting and it blends RIGHT IN, but when I wore it full face today it was too neutral/brownish compared to my neck which is so weird!

Thanks for the offer though Sharkbait - I have an N3 sample coming with my order for some more mixing, one of the makeup artists told me that if O1 is too brown N3 might work but to me it seems that neutrals are a bit too pinky/peachy for my skin if I wear it alone, not to mention it'll worsen the situation with my pale neck.

girldelvov: You said exactly my problem. I just washed my face and took off all my makeup and my face looks more neutral than my neck. I have no idea what's up with that.

The thing is I've never had this problem with my old makeup (pressed powder foundations). I'd only notice this if I was obviously wearing something not my colour but basically with my old foundations my face could work with the lightest shades be it a neutral or a yellow undertone or whether that's the only shade available. However with MMU the light shades that I'd imagine I'd wear is way too light on me even though they don't look it in the jar. I'm working towards the medium range and I'm approx an MAC NC20! I like Alima's texture and it blends and sinks into my skin much better than ED. I also like the coverage but this colour thing is really getting to me! Mad
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:06 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if it can have something to do with the way mica (or sericite or whatever) reflects the light? I mean, that the neck and face catch different lighting? I´m testing out foundations right now, I can can´t for the life of me make it come out right. I must really be a freak of nature. I will get it though, I´m not letting this foundation pass me by. Best of luck!
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Thank goodness - I thought I was the only one with a different toned neck. Since I started using MMU my approach to foundation application has changed. Now I look at my whole face/neck as a canvas and cover it all so it's one continuous tone. Then apply a bronzer to the hairline/cheeks then a blush. Awesome results. If I'm wearing a low lined top, I also carry MMU down to my chest as well. The great feature of MMU is it doesn't rub off on clothing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Penelope, this is a great idea to wear the MMU all the way down. I think that Sharkbait might be onto something regarding the way MMU reflects light and how it appears different on face/neck.

I have taken pictures in both natural and regular lighting (and everything in between but don't want to bore you). There are always differences. The best way I've found to get a fairly "true" representation of the color for testing purposes, is to custom set the white balance on your camera and then take your shots. I am much more golden on my body than my face and even more now since I've begun exfoliating w/AHA, BHA, peels, and so on. I was able to find the best match I ever have (it disappears!) with UGloGirl and I tested it at the jaw level ignoring the rest of my face.

It is also true that once matched, you do end up looking washed out because the canvas is so even-colored. Also, I find that for me, I have to definitely follow the less-is-more rule. It's a fight to control myself but it always looks really nice when I do. What work we do - makeup, skincare, hair, nails...the list goes on! It's so tough sometimes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I also have this problem. I'm half Japanese-half Caucasian with really weird skin tones on my face (yellow/pink/peach) but very yellow/white on the rest of my body. To make it worse, I'm oily, so foundations tend to go orange on me! What's up with that??? Rolling Eyes

Thank you, Sharkbait, for the great suggestions. I also ordered some samples of the UGG. We'll see how it goes!

Marla

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Well, I´m happy to report that my mixing adventures has yielded results. I found a blend (half NW0.75, half N1.5) that is not too yellow, not too pink, not too beige. It´s still a wee bit darker than my neck, but that can be lighting or simply something I´m willing to ignore. Wink

Melissa at UGG basically nailed it for me. She said that the colour that blends into your neck is really close to the result you need, so any tweaking should preferably be done off this shade. For me, that was Foxxy Lady (NW0.75) It disappeared on my neck and wrist, but was too light on my face. Why the blend with N1.5 worked better than N1, I do not know, but I´m guessing that the darker shade provided the extra darkness I needed, without tweaking the shade too much. But I ramble.

The main point is, that once I found the right mix, my face went from "good coverage, fab finish but a bit tired" to a really brightening, gorgeous flawless finish. (Oi, aren´t I fabulous Rolling Eyes ) I´m guessing my blend would be a NW1.25 compared to Melissas chart.

Gawd, I need more of this stuf, I can´t stand to be without it!
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
marla wrote:
I also have this problem. I'm half Japanese-half Caucasian with really weird skin tones on my face (yellow/pink/peach) but very yellow/white on the rest of my body. To make it worse, I'm oily, so foundations tend to go orange on me! What's up with that??? Rolling Eyes

Marla

Hey! Have you tried using a finishing powder as a primer before foundation? I´m dry myself, but I´ve heard of people having great success with this "sandwich" method. Finishing powder - foundation - finishing powder. I think it would help preserve the colour, but I can´t be sure.
Good luck! UGG is fab, in my opinion.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Awesome, Sharkbait! I'm so glad that you got a match!!! Mixing is so painful but I know that it was good that you had Melissa's input.

I know exactly what you mean about not having enough! I ordered mine ASAP after getting a match. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I´ll die if my goodies get held up in customs again! The samples took almost two weeks to get here (Norway) and Melissa shipped them the morning after my order was finalized! I´m sure they were held up in cstoms for half the time. Rolling Eyes

I need another kabuki as well. Bad Grin
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Glad to know I'm not the only one who will be ordering another kabuki (I have 3 but only like 1). I will get the one Melissa has for applying my MMU and then use my other one for blending...oh, maybe I'll get 2 from Melissa so I always have a backup...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I really can´t use any other buki after trying Melissas. It seems they all scratch my skin in comparison. I´m getting at least one more for myself, and if she brings out more brushes I´ll buy the lot. Laughing
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Heres my opinion ladies and its only my view. Some may not agree with this. Everyone has yellow undertones in their skin. Thats just the way it is.

Forget about mixing this and that and go with a foundation or powder with a yellow undertone, not pink or peach or beige but a light shade of yellow and cover only where you are uneven. Bobbi Brown has some real good shades of powder.
skodalady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
I understand this problem completely. I have lots of deep pink coloring in my face. My neck is very pale whitish pink. Unfortunately, the mineral makeup was too drying for me; so, I'm back to mixing. I mix Estee Lauder waterproof concealer with a Prescriptive foundation (it is the closest color, but a tad too light -- it has a lot of yellow in it to tone down the red). When applied, it doesn't look like makeup and doesn't cake up.

Another similar problem is face color to hair color. My natural hair color is ashy brown. I've been getting it colored for years. I always ask for a nice chocolate brown, but sometimes it doesn't come out that way. Whenever I would get highlights, the highlights would turn orangey after a short amount of time. Orangey hair against a face that has a lot of pinkish tones clashes and just highlights the fact that you have lots of pink in your face. It also doesn't offer much contrast between the face and the hair. So, to focus the attention away from the pinkyness in my face and to offer contrast, I've just been getting my hair colored brown with no highlights.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
do not feel alone! I have this problem, too Smile
The skin color on my face is lighter than the rest of my body (except for my legs) so if I use makeup that matches my face and ignore the rest of my colorings, I look like I am trying to pull off the geisha look :S. so I tend to go a LITTLE darker on the face and remember to put MMU on my neck too to balance it out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I thought I was the only one like this! I don't feel like such a freak anymore!

My skin color is different on my face, my neck, my chest, my upper arms and my lower arms (farmer tan, forgot sunscreen one day and fried my lower arms - its such a lovely look Mad ). My neck is the palest, my face in areas tends toward pink/redness (depending on if I'm broken out and where) and my chest is slightly darker than my face! Oy vey!

For some reason, I am intent on getting a MMU color that mostly matches my face/jawline without having to extend it down my neck. If I can't find that with more sampling, I will probably have to resort to using MMU on my neck. Blah!

I ordered UGG samples after Sharkbait raved about their customer service. They were delivered to my work address and I haven't received them yet because I've been out sick this entire week. Sad I've tried Pure Luxe and Alima and liked both, but the Alima is a bit more matte which I like. I loved the Alima range of colors and found a couple good matches and was getting prepared to do more testing and possibly mixing, but to my dismay, I found that Alima was separating on my face by the end of the day (darned oilies!) which I don't think Pure Luxe was doing. I considered a primer and am still thinking about using one or possibly the Jurlique rose powder or the pearl/silk powder to sop up excess oil.

We'll see how UGG works out. Now that I know how awesome Melissa is, I will not hesitate to contact her about advice on mixing!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I feel so much better now. I agree with all of you, I think if I can't get my order changed with Alima I'll just mix some G1 or W1 in it to get some yellow. A variety of shades blend into my neck very well so I'm not sure which colour to start off.

Can someone tell me how the finish with UGG compares with Alima - is it less matte, more like ED type finish? I found with EDM intensive gave me ok coverage but just sat on my face and never blended in and I got oily pretty quickly. Alima is more matte and actually has my T-zone oil at bay better than other makeup I've tried, it also blends better on my skin. I also love how Alima really adheres to my skin and does not rub off where EDM can be easily rubbed off. However I didn't have as much of a problem with shades being lighter on my skin than in the jar with EDM - I was a mix of golden fair and fairly light (which was slightly too light still but was ok since fairly light alone looks too orange and light was too yellow). But with Alima apart from G1 being too yellow for a full-faced application they are all ok to blend on my skin but of course I want to find the shade CLOSEST to my skin. I also apply concentrated amounts to areas which I want to conceal with a concealer brush so I can't have light-colored blobs on my face thus even if a shade like W2 would work blended on my skin, it is generally too light.

I guess if I'm out of ideas I'll have to apply MMU on my neck which I don't want to do because I don't like putting makeup anywhere that's not my face and I wouldn't be putting it on my face if I didn't have to (I wish!). But alas my skin isn't too nice.

MermaidGirl: I'm not sure what skintype you have but if you have any dry patches I would recommend using a primer and use the Jurlique as a finishing dust on your t-zone only. I have been using Carekate's version and I find it is a little bit drying if used alone so I won't use it as a primer or my MMU might end up sticking to my dry patches.
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Good advice! I will try when I am less busier than now.

Sharkbait wrote:
Boy, do I ever have this problem! You know, I´m overall cool-toned, but if I try to use a cooltoned foundation, I look like I have a ruddy face and a yellow, pale neck. I can´t go to yellow either, or I´ll look really ill, and neutrals wash me out. So, what´s a girl to do?

I emailed Melissa at Uglogirl about this (I´m currently trying to find a match with that foundation), and shee basically taught me two things (you might know this already, though):

You need to concider your overall colour, i.e are you a cool, warm or neutral in eyes, hair and the like, while still working with your neck´s skin tone. Basically, what this means for me is that I might mix neutral with a slithly warm 50/50, warm with cool 50/50 or a neutral with a darker warm 2:1.

When trying out your foundations, first pull your hair back, so the colour won´t throw you off. Then try foundations from the lightest going darker if you have to, trying cools and warms first, neutrals last. That way you can see what the foundation draws out from your skin. When you find a good match, let your hair down Razz and see if that alters the colour. Then try blush on, to see how that works with the overall picture. (Melissa told me you might actually feel washed out, even if you have a match, before using blush or whatever, because the foundation can even out your skintone so much.)

Oh my, ramblings galore. If you take nothing more away from this, please know that you´re not alone. Wink
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Skodalady, next time you color your hair brown, try a light ASH brown. The ash will neutralize the brassiness in your hair. Works every time.
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a member of this 'club' too...LOL My neck has a weird thing going on.. A light streak, for lack of a better way of putting it, from the chin down.. The sides and including my chest have turned to a ruddy/splotchy thing happening... I'm not ruddy, but when I get hot I get red..

I've always applied foundation {liquid till I discovered MMU}to all areas that show, always..

The only thing I've found that works for me now that I have this weird stuff going on is, keeping a faux tan on, then using a darker tan foundation.. It's fine, I like the tanned look... {And it covers any pink/red that will come thru if I'm hot and sweaty} Probably cuz I'm a pasty white girl who can never tan...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:08 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:

Can someone tell me how the finish with UGG compares with Alima - is it less matte, more like ED type finish? I found with EDM intensive gave me ok coverage but just sat on my face and never blended in and I got oily pretty quickly. Alima is more matte and actually has my T-zone oil at bay better than other makeup I've tried, it also blends better on my skin. I also love how Alima really adheres to my skin and does not rub off where EDM can be easily rubbed off. However I didn't have as much of a problem with shades being lighter on my skin than in the jar with EDM - I was a mix of golden fair and fairly light (which was slightly too light still but was ok since fairly light alone looks too orange and light was too yellow). But with Alima apart from G1 being too yellow for a full-faced application they are all ok to blend on my skin but of course I want to find the shade CLOSEST to my skin. I also apply concentrated amounts to areas which I want to conceal with a concealer brush so I can't have light-colored blobs on my face thus even if a shade like W2 would work blended on my skin, it is generally too light.

You know, UGG is very different than other MMUs in my opinion. It´s much creamier, smoother and less powdery (I expects it´s because of silica spheres but it could be very fine milling). The trick, noted by the girls over at MMM, is to apply a thin layer, then walk away frm the mirror. When the minerals meld with your skin, it becomes your skin but way better. Then you can see if you need more coverage or another thin layer.

The finish, someone called it "40s moviestar" and I have to agree. While it looks like your skin, it´s not glowy, shimmery, shiny, nor completely matte. It´s a "glow from within" without looking glowy, if that makes sense. I find it looks very much like baby skin in the way it reflects light, if you know what I mean. Very natural, but not flat matte.

Man, I ramble again. It´s not as matte as Alima, but nowhere near the tinman TM look of BE. Man, I should probably squee like a fangirl now. Wink
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |