Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help me with NARS Amour blush
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I tried NARS Orgasm -- loved how it looked so natural, but hated the glimmer in it for daytime.

So I switched to NARS Amour. I think this works much better for me. But the pigment is so intense that if I do 2 swipes of my brush instead of just one light one, I get too much! Does anyone else have this challenge with Amour? If yes, what do you do to make sure you don't overdo it? Seems like I can put on all the rest of my m/u half asleep, but when it comes to this blush, I have to be totally aware of applying "one light stroke".

On a related note, if anyone knows of a blush brand (preferably mineral makeup) and color similar to NARS Orgasm without the glimmer, I would love to hear from you.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi marci65 - I know what you mean about sparkles during the day. I just recently started using MMU and love it. I'm using (among other things) JI Barely Rose and it's pinker than Orgasm, so I've tested Dubonnet which is peachier and that will be my next purchase. I like to have pink and peach on hand, depending on the color of clothing I'm wearing. My skin is pale so I have to be careful not to overdo blush.

But I found that I can't use a normal blush brush when applying MMU colors because the pigment is so intense. I finally discovered why those wispy fan brushes are sometimes recommended -- it's easier to get a lighter dusting of powder. If you haven't already tried this technique, you may want to.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Aha! Like this one?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane-iredale-white-fan-bl-p_2414.htm

That never occurred to me, that the fan-shaped brush would give a lighter application! Thank you for that excellent tip! Please let me know if that link above is an example of what you are referring to.

Also, is yours a JI brush? Is there another brand that makes great quality fan brushes (natural hair only)
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi again - That's the brush! No, mine isn't JI. I bought it at Sephora and think it may be the Benefit brand, but I'm not sure (no name on it). Actually, I'm going to get a second one of these -- probably JI -- since I need this kind of brush when applying loose powder to the t-zone.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I love the JI fan brush for blush. I always had problems with application using regular brushes (too much, too heavy or uneven) until I started using a fan. You can apply your blush as light or dark as you like, and I actually think it looks more natural too. It took a while getting used to, as the "flatness" was kind of awkward after using full brushes for years, but I would never go back now. I'm a fan girl for life! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I use the MAC skunk brush for pigmented products - it is amazing.
Very Happy
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I second what Emma2006 said: do try the MAC #187 stippling brush to apply really pigmented blushes like Amour. It makes a WORLD of difference. I got mine about two weeks ago and am in love. I am seriously considering getting a second (or the MAC #188, which is the same, but with a smaller brush head) because I use mine so much.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Nijey wrote:
I second what Emma2006 said: do try the MAC #187 stippling brush to apply really pigmented blushes like Amour. It makes a WORLD of difference. I got mine about two weeks ago and am in love. I am seriously considering getting a second (or the MAC #188, which is the same, but with a smaller brush head) because I use mine so much.

A stippling brush! Mmmmm... that sounds interesting too. Maybe I won't be a fan brush user for life! Laughing Oh, I'm soooo.. fickle! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
sportygirl wrote:
Nijey wrote:

A stippling brush! Mmmmm... that sounds interesting too. Maybe I won't be a fan brush user for life! Laughing Oh, I'm soooo.. fickle! Embarassed

Read up on the reviews for it on MUA: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=53057/#_187_Stippling_Brush/MAC/Makeup_Brushes/

I held out for almost a year, but gave in to the rave reviews and haven't regretted it a bit. Sephora and Px also have their versions, and there are no-brand knock-offs floating around too, but the MAC is supposed to be the best of its kind. Can't tell you for certain that it is, but I do love it. And I justify the hefty pricetag by the many uses I get out of it. I can use my 187 to apply blush (both powder and cream), highlighter, bronzer, powder, MMU (when I want less coverage)--nearly everything but my eye and lip makeup practically!
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Nijey wrote:
sportygirl wrote:
Nijey wrote:

Read up on the reviews for it on MUA: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=53057/#_187_Stippling_Brush/MAC/Makeup_Brushes/

I held out for almost a year, but gave in to the rave reviews and haven't regretted it a bit. Sephora and Px also have their versions, and there are no-brand knock-offs floating around too, but the MAC is supposed to be the best of its kind. Can't tell you for certain that it is, but I do love it. And I justify the hefty pricetag by the many uses I get out of it. I can use my 187 to apply blush (both powder and cream), highlighter, bronzer, powder, MMU (when I want less coverage)--nearly everything but my eye and lip makeup practically!

Thanks Nijey! I'll have to check this out! I don't normally let hefty price tags scare me off if a product is great! After all, I am a Valmont lover! Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all - Those MAC brushes are flat-topped like the JI Handi, which I have and really love. But I've never used it for blush even though it's recommended for that too -- I use it to apply the Pressed Base only. I like it because it allows for lighter application as opposed to the puff included with the base compact or the JI Flocked Sponge.

Do you use the same brush to apply both regular powder and blush? How do you keep the different colors from getting mixed or transferring, if you know what I mean?

I can see an advantage for using a flat-topped brush for blushes that come in a small compacts, like JI do. The Handi's circumference is just about the same size as the blushes. I also think one's facial contours have a bearing on which shape and size of brush gives the desired effect.

BTW, how do you clean your brushes? JI says not to immerse theirs in water, and a special brush cleaner is offered. Is MAC the same? I have to admit, I use shampoo to clean mine but maybe I shouldn't.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Do you use the same brush to apply both regular powder and blush? How do you keep the different colors from getting mixed or transferring, if you know what I mean?

I do use the same brush. I guess the colors don't get mixed up just because the bristles are too loosely packed (compared to a normal powder brush) to "hold onto" the powders. You basically only get the product onto the white tips of the brush, then you buff it on, so not much will stay in the bristles. But I do want to get a separate one, just for convenience.

m.april wrote:

BTW, how do you clean your brushes? JI says not to immerse theirs in water, and a special brush cleaner is offered. Is MAC the same? I have to admit, I use shampoo to clean mine but maybe I shouldn't.

I clean mine with baby shampoo and rinse it in lukewarm water from a running tap (not too strongly turned on though). I'm not sure if MAC has specific brush-care instructions, though. The baby 'poo has been working out well for me and it's much, much cheaper.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |