Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Alima Foundation Brush #25 RAVE!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
OK, stick with me because I have a little story for you guys. I've recently really gotten into mineral make up. I have a lovely powder brush from Urban Decay that I just LOVE (one year of hard use and not only has it not shed a single hair, but it looks better now than when I bought it--- talk about an enduring relationship!), but I like to wash it frequently and it takes more than one day to dry, so I thought I'd try to expand my powder brush collection with a few other "flavors."

Lo and Behold, Carekate was kind enough to point me in the direction of a makeup brush seller on ebay who was going out of business and who was selling some really high-quality designer brushes for just scandalous prices. So, I ordered a Nars bronzer brush and a Chanel kabuki brush. I got them today, and I opened the package and tried them out and thought "Nice, very nice! Well done, Liz!" But coincidentally, my Alima order containing my foundation as well as an Alima foundation brush #25 also came in today, so next I tried out the Alima brush. WOW!!!! I swear, this $25 dollar brush is SO soft and SO luxurious, it makes those $50 brushes I got feel like they came from the drugstore. Not only that, but it makes the mineral make up feel like pure cream. If anyone is still looking for that perfect brush for mineral make up, I honestly think this is the best $25 you could possibly spend.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
wow I didn't even notice that alima has brushes! I was too busy eyeing their other goodies Rolling Eyes I'll be sure to check them out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Nooooooo! *Claps hands over ears!* I'm not listening! I, too, went to the eBay lady selling brushes for super low prices, and got myself 4 Chanel brushes and the Guerlain one to use for MMU - I do NOT need another brush! Embarassed

*Sigh!*
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Nooooooo! *Claps hands over ears!* I'm not listening! I, too, went to the eBay lady selling brushes for super low prices, and got myself 4 Chanel brushes and the Guerlain one to use for MMU - I do NOT need another brush! Embarassed

*Sigh!*

Hahahaha, thanks for feeling my pain, MermaidGirl! It's so frustrating, right? I guess I'll still use the ones I got off of ebay when this Alima one is drying, but my goodness, the difference in quality is just astounding! (Don't forget, EDS girls get a 10% discount at Alima... Wink )

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I got my two Nars "push" eyeliner brushes from that Aussie brush-selling Ebayer, and while I like them better than the previous brushes I've tried for my Smashbox cream EyeLiner and MAC FluidLine Gel eyeliner, they're a bit "scratchy" so the hunt continues....

Liz - have you ever tried the Jane Iredale Handi brush or the GloMinerals equivilent? I'm just wondering how they compare to your new Alima brush. IMHO, the Handi brush is the standard by which mineral makeup brushes should be measured! When I first started using MMU, I had a BE foundation brush (the regular, not kabuki) that I thought was the greatest, most professional brush ever (and, to me, it WAS because I'd been using drugstore makeup brushes until that time), but once I compared it to a Handi, I realized just how scratchedy and rough the BE brushes truly were. Confused Since then, I doubt usually by brushes without having the chance to test them in person -- although the Aussie Ebayer was an exception b/c of those "close out" prices! Rolling Eyes

TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I'd have to say if you read the reviews on MUA Chanel and Nars brushes are not up to par with some other makeup brands such as Bobbi brown or MAC, and I agree from my experience in trying out different brushes at the counters. My all time favorites are MAC full size brushes, they have not shed and have lasted me the past 4-5 years and they are still in the same condition as when I purchased them. I have yet to find a better liner than my MAC 263 and a better concealer brush than my 242. Japonesque is definitely close too in softness but for the prices they are comparable to MAC being only a few dollars cheaper. I have my Handi on the way but I have a feeling from all the glowing reviews here JI should be up to par with MAC and Japonesque. Smashbox can't compare either in softness but my 19 is the densest brush I've ever seen - it literally takes 2 weeks if I air dry and if I blow dry it takes more than 30 minutes straight because I tried gave up after 30 minutes. I think the 19 is similar in quality with BB's kabuki. My only gripe with not trying Alima is that it's synthetic.
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I have Mac, Chanel, Japonesque, BE and JI handi brushes. IMO, a superb quality synthetic brush is way silkier than any of the above. My Uglogirl kabuki (haven´t tried Alimas yet) are by far the softest brush I´ve tried - it even makes the handi feel rough. So while natural brushes might be better than most synthetics out there, there are notable exceptions IMHO.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Sharkbait wrote:
I have Mac, Chanel, Japonesque, BE and JI handi brushes. IMO, a superb quality synthetic brush is way silkier than any of the above. My Uglogirl kabuki (haven´t tried Alimas yet) are by far the softest brush I´ve tried - it even makes the handi feel rough. So while natural brushes might be better than most synthetics out there, there are notable exceptions IMHO.

Sharkbair basically took the words right out of my mouth. I've felt JI's Handi, BE brushes, etc etc, and I really feel like none of them can compare to a top of the line synthetic. So, I would def. still put my Alima brush waaaaaaay over any of those others.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Sharkbait wrote:

Sharkbair basically took the words right out of my mouth. I've felt JI's Handi, BE brushes, etc etc, and I really feel like none of them can compare to a top of the line synthetic. So, I would def. still put my Alima brush waaaaaaay over any of those others.

Alright, I'm sold as I'm needing/wanting to get a 2nd Handi brush anyway. From where does one order Alima products? Would you mind posting the link. TIA!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
ww.alimacosmetics.com

or
www.uglogirl.com

Very Happy
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Once again, the ever-lovely sharkbait took the words right out of my mouth. Surprised Don't be put off by the size of the Alima #25 powder brush--- when I ordered it I wondered if it would be big enough, but it's actually larger than it appears on the screen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've always had my eyes on the A'Squirrel brushes, has anyone used these and the Alima #25 brush??
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered the Alima #25 brush with other samples. Anyone tried this and A'squirrel's Kabuki? Is it softer? fluffier or denser? Confused

Sharkbait, do you happen to have a A'squirrel too? I've got a discount for shipping from A-squirrel and want to order the Squirrel kabuki. But you made me wonder about the Uglogirl one. Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ck, is the shipping discount for A'squirrel on the site or only for those who received the offer?
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Ck, is the shipping discount for A'squirrel on the site or only for those who received the offer?

A'squirrel is based in Hong Kong so I emailed and asked for a discount for local shipping. Wink
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
I just ordered the Alima #25 brush with other samples. Anyone tried this and A'squirrel's Kabuki? Is it softer? fluffier or denser? Confused

Sharkbait, do you happen to have a A'squirrel too? I've got a discount for shipping from A-squirrel and want to order the Squirrel kabuki. But you made me wonder about the Uglogirl one. Smile
I think Mabsy's got an Asquirrel brush and has reviewed it in the past so you might search the forum for it....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:32 am      Reply with quote
CK wrote:

Nope, haven´t tried that one. I´m a brush whore, but I think I´ve settled down with my Uglogirl kabuki. Gawd, I pray that she brings out more brushes like it.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
(Don't forget, EDS girls get a 10% discount at Alima... Wink )
Okay, so I'm this [-] close to buying an Alima foundation brush, but...what I want to make sure I get my 10% discount so what do I have to do? Type "EDS" in the discount box?! Please advise!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Carrie.. the code is EDS10...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
amaska wrote:
Carrie.. the code is EDS10...

Muchas thank you!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Alright, count me among the converted – I luuurrrvvve this makeup brush! So much so that I’m off to order another one to use to apply my Silk Dust. I guess this means that I can give my JI Handi Brush to Finley....

“Who’s Finley?” you ask?

carekate wrote:
O/T: I've actually given my two old BE makeup brushes to one of my cats as a play-toy! Finley has a serious fetish for any type of brush, be it a paint brush or a makeup brush and if you leave one lying around, he’ll purloin it. He carries it around in his mouth by the bristles, and then tosses it across the room and then runs after it and tosses it again for HOURS until he exhausts himself then he’ll pass out with the the brush hanging out of his mouth to grab 40-winks before waking up to do it all over again!!

So anyway, that is what becomes of all the sub-par makeup brushes in my house....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Alright, count me among the converted – I luuurrrvvve this makeup brush! So much so that I’m off to order another one to use to apply my Silk Dust. I guess this means that I can give my JI Handi Brush to Finley....

Yay! Surprised Actually, I've been using this brush with my Silk Dust as well--- it seems to work equally well for mineral foundations and finishing powders. Definitely planning on ordering a back up...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Is the Alima #25 like a kabuki with a longer handle, or more like the JI Handi brush?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
Is the Alima #25 like a kabuki with a longer handle, or more like the JI Handi brush?

Hmm... that's a tough question--- I'll be interested to see what carekate has to say. In the meantime, I'll say this: it's a little different from both types of brushes. I guess I'd say it's a little more like the Handi than a Kabuki, but it's still a very different kind of creature from the Handi.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I just thought I'd mention, since I totally fell in love with Alima's powder brush, I went ahead and tried their eyeliner brush #5 next. I wouldn't actually use it as an eyeliner brush (personally I prefer angeled brushes for that), but that's not why I bought it--- I bought it to use as a concealer brush, and it couldn't be any more perfect for it! It's a wee little brush with soft-as-silk bristles, and so instead of my usual concealer (which takes FOREVER to blend since I have a billion little red marks I'm trying to cover up), I've been dusting on a layer of Alima with my powder brush, and then using this eyeliner/concealer brush dipped in Alima to go back over my red spots. It works even better than my old concealer, and it's fast too--- I'm done with my face in less than 5 minutes! (It used to take me 20-30 to get everything covered and blended, ugh!) It was only $5.75 (!!!), so I definitely want to get a few more for back-ups.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |