Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Fragrance reviews
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I am so intrigued by the power of scent - how it can trigger a memory, take you back in time and alter your emotions in one quick sniff. You know how putting on the right fragrance can make you feel all dressed up instantly. I have fragrances I wear to work, fragrances I wear at home after an evening bath and, of course, fragrances I wear for special occasions. In fact, I have a fragrance I only wear once a year; it is my wedding fragrance and I only wear it on my anniversary.

I think all of us on this board love products that make us feel good and fragrance fits in with that. I usually do most of my fragrance ramblings over on makeupalley, but was thinking I would love to hear all about which fragrances mean something to you.

The inspiration for this thread is my new love for a fragrance I have had for a long time and wear rarely. I picked it out from my collection today and it just felt right.

Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
The first impression is a spicy pepper, heady and with conflicting notes, but as it lingers it unravels the most beautiful damask rose set against a backdrop of saffron, tree resins and pepper. It is deep and mysterious and would be an obvious choice for any party where you would like to get noticed. The nose behind it describes it as fragrance which dislikes daylight and prefers dusk. It has an almost smoky quality, smelling hot and sweet. The rose is the saving grace keeping it from stepping over to the dark side by adding a fresh innocence. It is dripping with sensuality and it is, quoting the website again, madly in love with life. I love it dearly, but don't wear it very often simply because it begs for a special occasion and I associate it more with the end of the day, then the morning. Today, I was so tired before going to work and decided to put my best dress on and celebrate life. Ta'if was my perfect partner in crime, and guess what; I felt special all day, I felt dynamic and like I really had a presence. People I met would hug me longer and compliment me on this fragrance. It is not for someone who likes to smell fresh, this is opulent, sinful and gorgeous. www.ormondejayne.com

I hope to hear about your fragrance experiences and will share more of mine as well.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think I can follow that, Smoothskin. How beautiful!

However, I just wanted to say that you inspired me to take a look at the website and I shall be ordering a set of sample perfumes to try for myself.

Thank you!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks majorb, I am so delighted to hear that you will be experiencing these very special fragrances. Tolu and Frangipani are other favorites of mine. The fragrances are so special because they are based on raw natural materials. I think so many of the new launches have the same synthetic fruity-floral-oriental scent, a hotch-potch, basically. Let me know how you find them, and if you are not into writing a full on review, just share which fragrance means something to you.
samkaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin, your review inspired me as well. I too will be ordering their sample set. There are 10 samples and I can't wait to try them.

Mu current favourite is Michael Kors (the original). I always feel sexy and seductive when I wear this one.
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:12 am      Reply with quote
Maybe I'm a strange woman, I don't like fragrance at all. The product I should always no fragrance or little.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:47 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin I just loved your review of that perfume. From your description I know it isn't my style so that is great to know. I'll have to sit down and see if I can describe my favourite perfume but I don't think I can come up with anything as good as yours. Excellent.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Queenmary, I bet there is a fragrance out there that would appeal to you, something soft, perhaps you like the scent of clean white linen hanging out to dry, the scent of dewdrops on grass warmed by the morning sun or a baby's skin... There are so many abrasive, synthetic fragrances on the market that perhaps they have put you off...
Hi bushy, sometimes the best descriptions of fragrance are about how they make you feel and I love to see the faces of people when they find the fragrance which is right for them. It is like they find their way home.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:32 am      Reply with quote
samkaj wrote:
Smoothskin, your review inspired me as well. I too will be ordering their sample set. There are 10 samples and I can't wait to try them.

Mu current favourite is Michael Kors (the original). I always feel sexy and seductive when I wear this one.

Creamy florals tend to make you feel like that and Michael Kors is a superb modern take on tuberose. Try also 'the original' tuberose fragrance Fracas by Robert Piguet with a more heady, soapy feel. Tuberose also features artfully in Annick Goutal's Songes where it is enveloped and softened by ylang ylang and vanilla. Then there is my personal favorite tuberose; Miller Harris Noix De Tubereuse - a very sophisticated yet headstrong scent combining mimosa, wild green clover and violets.www.millerharris.com
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Sadly, tuberose just doesn't like me at all. In fact, I do experience difficulties with many florals, apart from violet (which I believe isn't actually made from violets!) Warm, oriental spices and woods, as well as foody scents are much more my forte.

Smoothskin, have you ever tried the wonderful fragrances by Serge Lutens? Arabie is my current favourite - very rich, heady and exotic, but suitable only for evenings.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:01 am      Reply with quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/style/story/0,3605,1292159,00.html#article_continue

Hi majorb, I hope this link works, it is one of my favorite musings on the genius which is Serge Lutens. My current favorite from the line is Un Bois Vanille; a very easily accesible introduction to the range.

Edited: The link works, but it takes you to the middle of the page, just go up with the arrow to see the start of the article.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I like to wear Givenchy Very Irrestible. It's heady, very floral-- sort of a sweet musk. It makes me feel sexy. For some reason, though, my boyfriend has a multiple personality when it comes to this perfume. One day he loves it, the next he doesn't.

I also love to wear Philsophy Falling in Love. It's better for a mixed crowd, softer, and though it's sexy, it's not blatantly so.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I think it is like that with fragrances, one day you would like to smell something another day something else. Just like with food. That is why I am always utterly fascinated when people tell me they only wear one fragrance and it has become their signature scent.
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
Hi Queenmary, I bet there is a fragrance out there that would appeal to you, something soft, perhaps you like the scent of clean white linen hanging out to dry, the scent of dewdrops on grass warmed by the morning sun or a baby's skin... There are so many abrasive, synthetic fragrances on the market that perhaps they have put you off...
Hi bushy, sometimes the best descriptions of fragrance are about how they make you feel and I love to see the faces of people when they find the fragrance which is right for them. It is like they find their way home.

I have many fragrance, such as Chanel No.5, coco, allure, and DIOR POISON,...... but they always in my closet, I don't like to use them. Maybe I have not find the one I like. I will not give up, maybe in future.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Try Lorenzo Villoresi Teint De Neige, queenmary, it is so soft and comfortable to wear or Frederic Malle's Therese.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/style/story/0,3605,1292159,00.html#article_continue

Hi majorb, I hope this link works, it is one of my favorite musings on the genius which is Serge Lutens. My current favorite from the line is Un Bois Vanille; a very easily accesible introduction to the range.

Edited: The link works, but it takes you to the middle of the page, just go up with the arrow to see the start of the article.

Would you believe that my other Serge Lutens favourite is also Un Bois Vanille! I can wear that during the daytime, unlike Arabie.

Also, funnily enough, I did read that article quite some time ago. It made me desperately want to try Musc Koublaï Khän. And Serge Lutens does indeed sound like an incredibly driven and gifted man.

Well, it seems that we have a true fragrance connoisseur in you, Smoothskin. Please do keep giving us recommendations. I love perfume and the usual well-known store brands usually smell dreadful on me, so I'm always searching for something that will dance well with my skin chemistry.

BTW there's a shop in Elizabeth Street, London you would absolutely love. It's called Les Senteurs, and is very small but carries an impressive range of fine European (but mostly French) fragrances. The assistants are very knowledgeable and insist that, when you buy a perfume, you also take a small vial of it with you. You then use the perfume in the vial for a week or so to see if you can live with it. If not, you return the unopened perfume to exchange it for another. Shopping there is a magical experience.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi majorb, yes, Un Bois Vanille is a day time fragrance for me too, it never seems to heavy or cloying. When I read the article I really wanted to try Rahat Loukum and I am sure I will one day visit the shop just to try these fragrances.

I love Les Senteurs which is where I discovered the Different Company's Jasmine De Nuit and the very unique range of Frederic Malle fragrances. Majorb, we have so much in common fragrancewise Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Now jasmine is one of the very, very few flowers I can sometimes carry off. That's maybe worth a try for me.

I think I'm going to really enjoy hearing more about your favourite fragrances. Very Happy
hlg22
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
My absolute favorite fragrance in the summertime is Henri Bendel Wild Fig - I bought it as a body veil so it is a light, slightly milky spray - between a lotion and a perfume. The scent is light, not too sweet, and perfect for summer. The "super" Bath & Body Works stores (ones with expanded product lines) used to carry it, but it's been discontinued so now I have to resort to eBay...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
samkaj wrote:

I just ordered the sample set and they offer free shipping which is a nice bonus!
I am also not one for really fruity, floral or "vanilla" type scents. I love deeper, spicey and kind of woodsy sensual scents like Opium, Red Door and Arabie! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
What a delightful thread!! I know I am going a discover at least a few more fragrances which are off the beaten track and which I know I will fall in love with.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia's Flowers East Hampton
I will never forget the first time I tried this fragrance. I had read so much about this cult scent which utilized a "living flower" technology. It was made to recreate the scent of Antonia's flower shop in East Hampton and was said to smell just like freshly cut flowers. I was absolutely amazed when this came to life on my arm. It was so different from anything else I had ever tried. This utterly feminine bouqet of freesia, jasmine and magnolia has an intense green top note which gives it a rather bold character. It gives a new lease of life to the fragrance description "fresh" and it really sharpens the senses. It is the best interpretation of freesia I have ever encountered and there is no other fragrance quite like it. It is 12 years since I first tried this fragrance and unfortunately, as much as I loved it, it did not love me back. It turned quite citrusy and seemed somehow too sharp. I would try it again and enjoy smelling it on other people for a few years and in the end I gave in and bought the edt. Now there is always one in my collection and I enjoy spraying it in the room and even wearing it from time to time. To me this is the pure, light mood of Spring in a bottle. www.antoniasflowers.com
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin - Your poetic style of writing is utterly captivating -- you have a true gift!

I believe wholeheartedly that nothing can trigger memories quite like scent. While having afternoon tea with a friend last week, we decided to opt for a jasmine bud (as seen in the film, "Marie Antoinette"). It was so very fragrant, but wouldn't you know that we two dear old friends ended up wracking our brains to think of the cheap, drugstore cologne from our early adolescence that it reminded us of! This led to a long reminiscence of that time in our lives. We had an especially fun day -- all because of jasmine.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
I am so intrigued by the power of scent - how it can trigger a memory, take you back in time and alter your emotions in one quick sniff. You know how putting on the right fragrance can make you feel all dressed up instantly. I have fragrances I wear to work, fragrances I wear at home after an evening bath and, of course, fragrances I wear for special occasions. In fact, I have a fragrance I only wear once a year; it is my wedding fragrance and I only wear it on my anniversary.

I think all of us on this board love products that make us feel good and fragrance fits in with that. I usually do most of my fragrance ramblings over on makeupalley, but was thinking I would love to hear all about which fragrances mean something to you.

The inspiration for this thread is my new love for a fragrance I have had for a long time and wear rarely. I picked it out from my collection today and it just felt right.

Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
The first impression is a spicy pepper, heady and with conflicting notes, but as it lingers it unravels the most beautiful damask rose set against a backdrop of saffron, tree resins and pepper. It is deep and mysterious and would be an obvious choice for any party where you would like to get noticed. The nose behind it describes it as fragrance which dislikes daylight and prefers dusk. It has an almost smoky quality, smelling hot and sweet. The rose is the saving grace keeping it from stepping over to the dark side by adding a fresh innocence. It is dripping with sensuality and it is, quoting the website again, madly in love with life. I love it dearly, but don't wear it very often simply because it begs for a special occasion and I associate it more with the end of the day, then the morning. Today, I was so tired before going to work and decided to put my best dress on and celebrate life. Ta'if was my perfect partner in crime, and guess what; I felt special all day, I felt dynamic and like I really had a presence. People I met would hug me longer and compliment me on this fragrance. It is not for someone who likes to smell fresh, this is opulent, sinful and gorgeous. www.ormondejayne.com

I hope to hear about your fragrance experiences and will share more of mine as well.

How much of each scent do you get? It's almost 40 USD and I'm just curious...I'd have no idea how to pick a scent otherwise, I'm leaning towards this... Smile I love scents and fragrances!

EDIT: Um...regarding the sample package that is...sorry, i forgot to mention that to begin with.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Paristroika, the sizes in the sample pack are about the same as a regular sample from any perfume counter. What are your favorite fragrances?
Hi mapril, Le Jasmine by Chantecaille is a superb single note jasmine fragrance.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 am      Reply with quote
drools over Smoothskin's description.

That sounds like the most fabulous perfume. I love the smell of a flower shop, it is definitely flowery, but not the one you get from a perfume bottle.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |