Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I am looking for a sunscreen with high protection (spf 50+). After reading the review on MUA website, I am down to two choices: Shiseido and Laroch Posay. I have acne prone skin and I don't like tanning. Any suggestions? Thanks.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Those I would say are two different ss. Not that it matters, but one's japanese and the other one's euro. The shiseido spf 55 will probably be more matte and thick like the one I have. I have the LPR Anthelios and that's a little watery, but I like that. It's not as pastey as the Shiseido, and has a slight shine to it. The Shiseido will be harder to remove when you wash your face and heard you may need like an oil based cleanser to remove it all while the LPR is a bit easier to remove. As far as acne prone skin, not sure which would be better. I'm not too familiar with ingredients and which ones potentially may clog pores.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi carmenlu - An LRP SPF50+ SS will probably have a much higher PPD value (permanent pigment darkening) than Shiseido, in case that's important to you.

Another thing to consider is that certain makeup ingredients can destabilize/degrade the effectiveness of certain SS active ingredients. If you don't wear makeup, this wouldn't be anything you need to consider. But if you do, you may want to check out Tinosorb-containing SS like Bioderma and Avene. The least oily I've tried of those brands is Bioderma MAX Fluide SPF50+.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi carmenlu - An LRP SPF50+ SS will probably have a much higher PPD value (permanent pigment darkening) than Shiseido, in case that's important to you.

Another thing to consider is that certain makeup ingredients can destabilize/degrade the effectiveness of certain SS active ingredients. If you don't wear makeup, this wouldn't be anything you need to consider. But if you do, you may want to check out Tinosorb-containing SS like Bioderma and Avene. The least oily I've tried of those brands is Bioderma MAX Fluide SPF50+.

Very good point april which I missed on is the PPD rating, that's why I opted for the euro brands.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
You raised an important issue too, ariesxtreme! Especially for someone who may be acne-prone, cleansing thoroughly is a must when using heavy-duty SS. This is where a product like a toner may be of some help, to remove the last vestige.
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Go for La Roche Posay as its great really dries in and no white film or greasyness. Lasts for ages I have used it for years and I know its even safe for children with no additives so definately no rash or allergy
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
LRP is greasy. I have tried a couple and both were greasy. Also you cannot wear mineral mu with this.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Laroch Posay is better than Shiseido.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any LRP sunscreens (or any high PPD sunscreens for that matter) that are as delightfully matte as Sofina Nuance Up or Sunkiller Clearwater??? I'd love to improve my PPD factor but every other sunscreen I wear, I end up blotting my nose so much that all sunscreen ends up gone anyway by mid-day.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi PocoLoco - Well, if there were a product that meets your specifications I think it would be a blockbuster! But to my knowledge there isn't. It seems a certain degree of oiliness or stickiness is what helps make the stronger SS effective for some reason. Or else effective SS ingredients are by nature sticky or oily. Don't know.

Wouldn't it be wonderful though???

Have you tried Bioderma MAX Fluide SPF50+? It's not as dry as Sunkiller (boy, is that stuff matte -- it made my face look parched and chalky but I have normal/combo skin). I recently got some fromwww.skincarecentral.biz and really like it. So far, it's the least oily Tinosorb SS (can be used when wearing makeup) I've tried. You can order a sample first, which is what I did.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
My winter strategy is now using using a high PPD brand at a lower SPF (only if I'm going to be outside for an hour or more). I'm using Avene high protection 20SPF cream and it rubs in like a dream and hardly shows. I reckon that's better than losing half of the greasy stuff or mopping it off. Besides there's very little UV here now.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried the Bioderma fluide and it's pretty good, matte-wise. But I have to admit I fell in love with the Sofina texture and the fact that I don't have to blot my face all day long. It's UVA +++ in the Japanese rating system which means it could be anywhere between PPD 8 and 15. If it were 15 I'd be satisfied, but 8 doesn't cut it.
ljung
5% products discount

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
On April's suggestion, I bought the Bioderma and love it!! It's still a bit shiny, but that's just the price we pay for protection. I adore the Sofina, but I only wear it when it's really important to me not to be shiny or when I'm going back out after work and will only be exposed to daylight very little. Maybe carekate can come up with something;-)
trianglefish
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Shishedo sunscreen is my fav. they have spf 50 and it is not greasy and smells good! most importantly, it works!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:

Have you tried Bioderma MAX Fluide SPF50+? It's not as dry as Sunkiller (boy, is that stuff matte -- it made my face look parched and chalky but I have normal/combo skin).

m.april--do you moisturize well before applying the sunkiller? i found that my drier cheeks definitely were flaking and i found that moisturizing really well before applying the sunkiller prevents any flakies. sunkiller has no moisturizing ingredients in it as sofina does not either, and it's important to use a good moisturizer when using either of these SS. I love these two and can't imagine using anything else at the moment

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
m april I like Bioderma too but I thought it had avobenzone in it as well as tinosorb?? so shouldnt be worn with makeup. I'll have to check the ingrediants again.

I just checked and here's the ingrediants

Ingredientes NEW 2006 Formula
Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Octocrylene, Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol (Tinosorb M), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Cyclomethicone, Alcohol Dentat., C-20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine (Tinosorb S), PTFE, C-20-22 Alcohols, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ectoin, Mannitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Decyl Glucoside, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben.

The ingrediant Ive bolded is the proper name for avobenzone isnt it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
LRP is nice, but I prefere a sunscreen I found here in Switzerland this summer. Spirig daylong ultra (up to spf 40) and Spirig microban up to spf 30+. Really good stayingpower, no shine and no breakouts or stinging. Worth trying if you find it. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi carolb69 - Yes, that long name is another term for avobenzone! But it's my understanding that the addition of Tinosorb to SS formulae stabilizes avobenzone.

Also, some even think that coated-particle MMU won't seriously degrade avobenzone. But I'm not taking any chances and that's why I prefer to use SS containing Tinosorb!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks m.april...i only use the tiniest bit of mineral sunscreen,just enough to even out my skin more so hopefully i dont have to worry too much. I also wait 20 min before applying.

m.april wrote:
Hi carolb69 - Yes, that long name is another term for avobenzone! But it's my understanding that the addition of Tinosorb to SS formulae stabilizes avobenzone.

Also, some even think that coated-particle MMU won't seriously degrade avobenzone. But I'm not taking any chances and that's why I prefer to use SS containing Tinosorb!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi skincareaddicted - Sunkiller and Sofina unfortunately don't satisfy my neurosis about using high PPD-value SS! But having said that, if there were a special event during humid weather, like a wedding or something, or if I were going out late in the day, I'd definitely use one of those SS. And when I do, I'll heed your advice and apply a bit of moisturizer first! Thanks for the tip!
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I have both LRP and Shiseido and can only use the LRP around my eyes. It's too greasy to use elsewhere on my combination skin; it makes me really shiny and doesn't work well under makeup. I use Shiseido everywhere else since it's great at mattifying and I think the protection is adequate as I don't spend the entire day walking around outside. I have recently begun using DHC's White Sunscreen, which I've read (probably in the MUA reviews) has slightly better PPD score than Shiseido, though the SPF is lower. This one is about as expensive as the LRP, but has a nice matte finish and works well under makeup.
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies. I bought LRP based on the high PPD (a new word learned)value. I will use it in Mexico for a week,and share the review later.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |