Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Care Kate's Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial Mask
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of weeks ago, Carrie was kind enough to send a batch of her Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial mask my way.

My skin issues:
I am working on getting rid of some stubborn blackheads on my nose and also fading some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) from acne blemishes that came up during the initial purging that came up when I first started using the OCM.

EDS forum members recommended this version of the aspirin mask to me as a way to exfoliate and to expedite lightening of the dark spots on my forehead. I PM'd CareKate, and a few days later, I had the mask in my home. Carrie packages it in a nice white jar with a snazzy little label stating the ingredients and directions for use. Opening the jar, the mask smells very clean and fresh. It LOOKS like pumice-colored, watery grit but it SMELLS great--I think it must be the tea tree oil and aloe vera juice.

I used the mask that evening after cleansing my face by the OCM method. As per Carrie's instructions, I applied the mask to my face and let it dry. After around 15 minutes, I wet my fingertips with warm water and massaged my face. As the sugar and other mask ingredients absorb the water, I re-wet my fingertips and continued massaging, focusing extra time on the parts of my face I probably spent ~5 minutes total rubbing the mask into my face. Then I rinsed the mask off with tepid water.

After the 1st usage, I was AMAZED Surprised at how smooth and soft it made my skin. My husband even commented that my skin felt smooth like a baby's bottom. Totally smooth. It is fantastic as an exfoliant without being overly abrasive (at least for my skin). I used the mask again 3 days later and again was very pleased with how smooth and supple my skin felt afterwards. In my zeal (or greed), I used the mask a 3rd time a day and a half later, which was overkill (as per Carrie's warning not to use more than a couple of times per week). I had a bit of over-drying on my forehead (where I exfoliate the most), but this passed quickly. With extra emu oil and HA serum, this passed quickly.

As for other results, I have been treating my PIH spots in the evenings with Supercop2x and using 5% salicylic acid as an exfoliating toner mornings. I think that Carrie's mask is really accelerating the fading of these spots. The mix of AHA/BHA chemical exfoliants and the additional physical exofoliating action of the sugar crystals make a really effective combination.

My blackheads have still not budged, but I suspect that these may take longer to see results. I will definitely continue using the mask (twice a week) and look for improvement.

I should also add that Carekate's mask is a steal for those of us too lazy to make up the DIY version that she posted. Carrie herself is a dream (as many others on this forum can attest to). She has prompt service, excellent communication. Best of all, she is AVAILABLE to answer your questions about her products. Think Estee Lauder is taking questions? Jan Marini? Heck no! Carekate's Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial Mask is a FABULOUS product. I am looking forward to continued use of this mask and also to trying other Carekate products. Very Happy

Priscilla

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
fenn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
A sound second for everything that you've said Priscilla. Smile The super-sonic mask is indeed wonderful and produces results in very little time, I can't wait to purchase the full size! Carrie is a gift to all of us here and so are her products. Smile Everyone should give this mask a try, oh and her silk dust totally blows my mind away too! Love love love it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Would this mask be appropriate for someone with very sensitive skin? So far, the only exfoliating product I've been able to use without aggravating my skin is the PSF pumpkin peel. Anything involving manual exfoliation, such as the Clarisonic, or products containing micro-beads or grit, leave me red, irritated and peeling. I'd love to be able to use other exfoliants, as I do love the results of the pumpkin peel, but it's only recommended for once/weekly useage.

TIA for any info.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the exfoliating action of the mask comes from 1) the lactic acid in the milk, 2) the glycolic acid from the sugar, 3) the acetylsalicylic acid from the aspirin. The physical exfoliating action of rubbing the sugar into your face is an extra so this MIGHT be okay for you if you just applied it and rinsed it off--no massaging of sugar crystals into your skin.

There are enough users of this mask on the forum that hopefully someone else with your very senstive skin type will speak up. You could also whip up a batch yourself using Carrie's recipe on the DIY thread and do a spot test to see if it irritates your skin. I know that the acetylsalicylic acid is a lot milder for my skin than the 5% salicylic acid in alcohol that I usually apply.

HTH.

priscilla

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
horris
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
the mask sounds amazing. Can it be purchased via the EDS or it's a DIY product? thanks
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
the recipe is listed in the DIY thread
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=317

You can also PM Carekate, and she will send you some.

Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I mixed up some of this earlier this week, and I like it quite a bit. I couldn't really rub it around on my face much because I can't use manual exfoliants, but it felt really nice and refreshing. I think that it did make my face a little brighter. My skin definitely felt smooth and clean. I made a whole batch, so I will use it once a week for a while.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I got a sample of this today along with a sample of her pearl paste and lush lips dolce vita with my super duper Lavender silk dust.

I have to go work a show tonight an am currently wearing the lush lips and silk dust. The dust makes my MMU look so much better, honestly.

I'm excited to give this mask a go! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Ok I have just used the Super Sonic Mask so I am going to give this a quick review.

My skin: I am in my mid-twenties, with combination skin. Until 4 months ago I had pimples every day. As soon as one went another appeared. It would occur around my forehead and chin. Nowadays, I have a few tiny spots which keep on get the flakies, flakies around my nose, and one or two pimples around my trouble spots now and then. If I used Everyday Mineral Intensive Foundation, I would get oily looking forehead in the afternoon.

Ok enough about my skin.

Packaging: This came in a white tub, about the size of the PSF Pumpkin Mask. CareKate has carefully labelled usage and most of the ingrediats onto the tub and then covered it with plastic, so you don't have to worry about get it wet.

Looks of the product: It is greyisy, grainy (a bit water). It smells rather like Lush Angel on Bare Skin, which I like. Herbally.

Use: I applied a thin layer as directed onto my skin and left it for as long as I could, which was about 5 mins as I had to go to dinner. I wetted the mask and gently and lightly massaged. I kept on adding water until the mask was washed off. I experienced no irritation with the mask on itself, which dried quite quickly.

Results: Given that I only used it for 5 mins and not 10 to 15mins this is only a preliminary comment. After washing the mask, my face was redder due the exfoliation, but more of a glowy red than an irritated red. Looks more becoming Wink. It has gotten rid of my flakies although where the flakies patches are (they are persistent!) I can still feel it. My skin generally looks smooth, pores are nice and small and reddish-glowy.

My question to CareKate: Should I keep this in the fridge? Or just in a cool cupboard?
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:08 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:

My question to CareKate: Should I keep this in the fridge? Or just in a cool cupboard?

When I asked Carrie the same thing, she told me, "No refrigeration needed, unless you think it might take a while to use it all up, then you might want to split some out into a smaller container and then store the rest in the fridge.

"Personally, I go thru about a jar a month (I use it every morning -- I have skin like a rhino!), but I realize not everyone is going to use it up as quickly...."

HTH...since I know that Carrie has limited email access.
priscilla

razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I can't wait to use this. I just recieved the pearl paste and the lip scrub and she included a sample of this (the super sonic). I had already done a regular aspirin mask quite a few times, but never put any of these added ingredients in it. I can't wait to use it tonight.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Priscilla wrote:
cuppre wrote:

When I asked Carrie the same thing, she told me, "No refrigeration needed, unless you think it might take a while to use it all up, then you might want to split some out into a smaller container and then store the rest in the fridge.

"Personally, I go thru about a jar a month (I use it every morning -- I have skin like a rhino!), but I realize not everyone is going to use it up as quickly...."

HTH...since I know that Carrie has limited email access.
priscilla

Thank you for the quick answer Priscilla! Definitely appreciate it. I think I will go and buy some containers to store this (and to share with friends Wink ) as I plan to use this once a week, or twice at most. So tempted to use it more often but don't want to dry my skin.

razinkane I think you will really like this. I am positive towards this and I usually am either neutral/puzzled or negative about masks. So far, liking it more than Dr H's CC.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I have just used it for the third time and this is a definite RAVE!

Per instructions I put a layer of the mask on and leave it for 10 mins. Then using mainly a rolling/pressing motion I gently clean off the mask with wet fingers. This takes about 5 mins so it is a bit of a tedious process. If you want a more powerful exfoliation you can just rub it off.

My skin afterwards feels smoother, softer, does not turn red and definitely a glowy look.

I am going to be using this twice a week since once a week appears to do me no harm and I love it too much not to use it more often.

I just find there is no comparison to Dr H's CC.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Due to the cold weather here, I have cut back my usage to once per week. I really love how my skin feels afterward. I think that I will try the presss&roll method of removal instead of the vigorous scrubbing that I have been doing...maybe then I can go back to twice per week. Thanks for posting about that Cuppre! Smile
priscilla

cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:22 am      Reply with quote
Hey Priscilla! I don't know if you have tried this or not but to reduce the drying effect of Carries' mask why don't you add some honey to it? Kinda like the aspirin/honey mask but with the Super Sonic-ness of CareKate's genius Cool . I just added the honey after I put on the mask. Then waited 30mins. No irritation at all. Skin looked rather nice immediately afterwards - though redness of tiny would be pimples did not dimish. Sad

The only thing to note is that as the honey warms up on your skin, things may get a little drippy.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Cuppre, thanks for the suggestion! Smile

My skin has freaked out with the cold weather so I have been thinking that I may have to cut back usage of this to less than once/week. I will gladly try adding honey to it, though, to see if that helps to moisturize. Does it matter what kind of honey I use?

Thanks again for the suggestion!
priscilla

skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Priscilla--what exactly is the press and roll method? i have heard it being mentioned many times on this forum but can't quite visualize it. someone mentioned a video on the Dr. Hauschka website demonstrating the method but i can't find it when i went to the site.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Priscilla--what exactly is the press and roll method?

from the site:

Cleansing Cream: What do you mean by “press and roll”?
Our unique "press and roll" cleansing method goes beyond the surface to stimulate the lymph and awaken your skin. First, dampen your face with warm water and mix 1/2" Cleansing Cream with a few drops of water in your hand. Relax your hands to gently cup the face. Beginning at the forehead, press the product in using your fingers and the tops of your palms, rolling outward from the center and lifting as you roll. The mild suction created helps remove dead cells, dirt and oil. Work downward and outward with this press and roll motion for one to three minutes, then rinse with warm water and finish with a cool splash.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:41 am      Reply with quote
What items does CareKate make and how do we buy them off her? Very Happy
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:17 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:
Priscilla--what exactly is the press and roll method?

from the site:

Cleansing Cream: What do you mean by “press and roll”?
Our unique "press and roll" cleansing method goes beyond the surface to stimulate the lymph and awaken your skin. First, dampen your face with warm water and mix 1/2" Cleansing Cream with a few drops of water in your hand. Relax your hands to gently cup the face. Beginning at the forehead, press the product in using your fingers and the tops of your palms, rolling outward from the center and lifting as you roll. The mild suction created helps remove dead cells, dirt and oil. Work downward and outward with this press and roll motion for one to three minutes, then rinse with warm water and finish with a cool splash.

Skincareaddicted,
I had a hard time figuring this out too and never found the video that people were mentioning. I follow the instructions that La Vie En Rose posted. Now I pretty much put my hands on my face on either side of my nose and apply pressure starting at my pinkies and then rolling outwards towards my index fingers. For my nose, I use my fingertips with a similar (or as close to similar as I can get Smile ) to the same rolling pressure motion. HTH (and sorry if it's unclear--I sometimes still wonder if I am doing it the right way Embarassed !)
priscilla

skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
thanks la vie and Priscilla. i might order the cleansing cream from carrie in the future as it seems to be such a staple for many of the forum members. i guess i will figure out press and roll then.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to post an update:
I started using this mask at the end of October/beginning of November. I was using it 1-2 times per week, but then had to cut back to 1 time every other week and then to not at all because my skin was to dry due to the cold weather--despite using ample emu oil, jojoba oil, and HA serum. This was frustrating because I really felt that it was helping to fade some hyperpigmentation on my forehead and to help with blackheads on my nose.

What I've tried this week is applying the mask but then not letting it dry entirely--I applied it in the shower, let it sit a few minutes and then rub it off. As before, my skin feels SILKY SMOOTH afterwards, but I haven't had any flakies or over-drying. I am going to continue using the mask this way a couple of times per week (or however many times per week my skin likes), and see if it continues to help with my pores. I LOVE how smooth my skin feels afterwards.

priscilla

snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the update
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Priscilla wrote:
I just wanted to post an update:
I started using this mask at the end of October/beginning of November. I was using it 1-2 times per week, but then had to cut back to 1 time every other week and then to not at all because my skin was to dry due to the cold weather--despite using ample emu oil, jojoba oil, and HA serum. This was frustrating because I really felt that it was helping to fade some hyperpigmentation on my forehead and to help with blackheads on my nose.

What I've tried this week is applying the mask but then not letting it dry entirely--I applied it in the shower, let it sit a few minutes and then rub it off. As before, my skin feels SILKY SMOOTH afterwards, but I haven't had any flakies or over-drying. I am going to continue using the mask this way a couple of times per week (or however many times per week my skin likes), and see if it continues to help with my pores. I LOVE how smooth my skin feels afterwards.

priscilla

I can't wait to get a full size!!! I've not been a mask person but this has changed my mind.
Love it...can't wait can't wait CAN'T WAIT!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
annoying holiday mail!! lol. I ordered this and other goodies from Carrie before Xmas, and they still haven't arrived! I'm so impatient! lol.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |