Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
::REVIEWS:: Green Cream (any Level)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I was searching for posts about Green Cream and they are not easy to find. I thought I would start this thread so that those of us who use it can post here.

I started over the summer with GC Level 3 and my skin slowly adjusted to it. It's been great. I recently added GC6 to my rotation. I can't use GC6 every night -- it's too strong for me, and GC3 every night didn't seem to be giving me as good results after a while as it did in the beginning. So I added GC6 1-2 nights per week and it's been great.

GC is definitely a potent retinol. I know there are other options on the market (and from retailers in Europe), but what appealed to me about GC is the packaging (which protects the potency of the product) and how it's easy to buy online in the US.

It would be great to see posts from others who are using Green Cream.
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following products available at EDS:
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream High Potency Retinol Level 3 (29 g / 1 oz)
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream High Potency Retinol Level 3 (29 g / 1 oz)

The effectiveness of topically applied retinol (vitamin A) has been proven in numerous scientific studies. In fact, there are more than three times the number of studies on retinol than any other active ingredients such as vitamin E, vitamin C, and peptides. (0.3% retinol)

Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream High Potency Retinol Level 6 (29 g / 1 oz)
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream High Potency Retinol Level 6 (29 g / 1 oz)

The effectiveness of topically applied retinol (vitamin A) has been proven in numerous scientific studies. In fact, there are more than three times the number of studies on retinol than any other active ingredients such as vitamin E, vitamin C, and peptides. (0.6% retinol)

Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Marci. I've been using Green Cream for about two months. I started with samples of level 3 and level 6, but I had no redness or irritation whatsoever, so I upped to level 9 every night.

Since I've been using it I've noticed: slightly smaller pores, slight reduction in a couple of scars, brighter complexion, plumper skin, and slight reduction in a couple of fine lines. I haven't had any purging,redness or irritation at all. I also haven't noticed the shine that others have mentioned with Green Cream.

I like the texture. The packaging is okay, and the smell doesn't offend. (It smells faintly like cucumbers to me, but it fades as the product soaks in.)

Over all, I'm pretty pleased with the product. I've ordered some Skinceuticals 1%(misspelled). I'm going to compare that to Green Cream - maybe do a half face test. Of course, the Green Cream will have an unfair advantage because it has had a couple of months to work.

This is definitely a product I will re-purchase, unless the Skinceuticals is better or comparable.

If the Skinceuticals (again, excuse my spelling) is as good or better, I will switch over to it because its a lot easier to find than the Green Cream level 9 and its not as expensive.

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been meaning to do a review on Green Cream.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I had started with level 6 GC. I did not have any problems with level 6; I just did not see much difference. I was able to use every night.

Then I got samples of GC9. I carefully applied a small amount once a week. Much talk about this product at the time on MUA and the greencream community forum. I really recommend going slow.
I worked up to 2x weekly and tried for 3x weekly. 3x weekly was just too much for skin. Redness, blotchiness, etc. SO I went back to basics for a while...no exfoliates/treatments.

Years ago I had used Avene products including the Ystheal retinalhyde cream when it was first available in SDM in my area and remembered having good results. I decided to go with more gentle products and started using the Avene Ystheal cream again.

The Avene line is available in SDM in Canada and samples are available. I find the line very effective. I can use the Ystheal every night. The Diacneal is also an effective exfoliating treatment with retinalhyde and AHA.(I can use Diacneal but not as often.)

I have tried GC 6 and 9 and I will stick with Avene.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Yay! Green Cream buddies have a place to hang out and report in on EDS! Very Happy

I look forward to hearing how you like Skinceuticals, Tosca, compared to GC.

In the meantime, I remain a GC fan, but I really value the opinions of current and former GC users who have found something comparable or better -- that's easy to get in the US. I know I can order from Canada or Europe, but I'm concerned about things getting held up in customs and possibly not arriving at all. Too expensive to risk that, so I tend to order from within the US mostly for that reason.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:30 am      Reply with quote
I tried the GC6 on my eye area for maybe 6 weeks - 2 months. It was effective in terms of turnover and firming but I really disliked the filmy sheen which was quite obvious compared to the rest of my face. It didn't cause any irritation, but I could feel my skin wincing in the sun.

I've since switched to Avene which is gentler but just as effective and love it, but that's another thread Cool
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
I tried the GC6 on my eye area for maybe 6 weeks - 2 months. It was effective in terms of turnover and firming but I really disliked the filmy sheen which was quite obvious compared to the rest of my face. It didn't cause any irritation, but I could feel my skin wincing in the sun.

I've since switched to Avene which is gentler but just as effective and love it, but that's another thread Cool

I used GC6 under my eyes also with no problems AT NIGHT ONLY. Not the sheen but the fact that it is a retionol type product and my understanding is not to use at night. Be sure to sure sunscreen during the day year round if you any retional type product.

Avene Ystheal cream is wonderful at night as an eye cream!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I only apply GC at night, so I haven't noticed any shine issues.

Is the Avene Ystheal cream the one that is being discontinued? I know another retinol product is being d/c'd, and I get them mixed up, so I apologize in advance if I am mixed up on this and flat out wrong.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Marci, i'm in the US too. I know of several places that carry level 3 and level 6, but It's harder to find level 9. Do you know of a good source for level 9? I can't remember where I bought mine. Sad

I use it at night too. I haven't noticed a sheen, but if there is one, I don't care at night. It wouldn't deter me from purchasing.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:59 am      Reply with quote
autumn wrote:

I used GC6 under my eyes also with no problems AT NIGHT ONLY. ..... Be sure to sure sunscreen during the day year round if you any retional type product

Thanks for shouting your advice at me. I'm not a complete idiot. I do USE AT NIGHT and I do USE SUNSCREEN!!!!
That's the main thing that put me off was the sheen stayed all day too. I don't like the idea of some film former on my face all day.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried these sites that are listed here?

http://greencream.com/buy.htm

I order from ValerieBeauty (the last site listed in the link above). Excellent customer service and Valerie is very helpful if you have any questions about GC or any other items she sells. I know she carried GC9, but she may e-mail you when you place the order to make sure that you already have retinol and/or GC experience, since GC9 is so strong. If you don't see it on her site, contact her to see when she expects it back in -- she usually restocks pretty quickly. I'm sure that all of the other sites listed in the link are also very helpful, but I don't have personal experience with them. IHTH!

ETA: I would love to see EDS sell GC, and I posted in that other thread, too.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've checked all the other sites (I think). I'll re-order from Valerie Beauty when I get ready then. Thanks, Marci!
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Where do you buy the Avene product? You got my interest. Thank you.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Happy to jump in on this post - been a longtime Green Cream 6 user under eyes at night, only product to ever make a difference with my lines!

I was using it all over my face as well at one point but I found that no matter what sunscreen I used I was still feeling the effects of the sun. Undereye for me is easier to protect from the sun (sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, etc.) and it made the most difference there so I have never stopped using it for under my eyes.

Very highly recommend it!
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I only apply GC at night, so I haven't noticed any shine issues.

Is the Avene Ystheal cream the one that is being discontinued? I know another retinol product is being d/c'd, and I get them mixed up, so I apologize in advance if I am mixed up on this and flat out wrong.

Avene gel is being discontinued. Big discussion on MUA. True fans are able to order from Tubotica. This is a site from Spain that has stock still available of the Avene gel.

I live in Canada and prefer to buy Avene Ystheal cream, etc from SDM.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
I started using Green Cream almost 2 years ago. It was recommended at a spa in New Orleans (where the company is headquartered).

They actually started me on Level 9 right away! I didn't realize until later that there are different levels - but the aesthetician told me to use Level 9.

Overall I liked it but would have dryness and itching when used frequently - I have to break for a couple of days every week.

Then I found Avene earlier this year. Must say I really prefer Avene. No irritation whatsoever (well, actually, Diacnel which has glycolic acid makes me itch a little).

I use Avene gel and cream - depending on how dry my skin feels.

To me, Avene is easier to tolerate and converts to more retinoic acid (or whatever that finally conversion is).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried GC when it was the "it" product on MUA years ago. I started with L6 and worked up to every night usage. I finished the bottle and it really didn't do much for my skin. My skin was a little smoother but that was about it.

I then got a sample of L9. Irritation, peeling, dermatitis flareup Shock I rested my skin for weeks and tried again. Even with 1x/week usage, my skin still couldn't tolerate it.

I eventually switched to rx retinoid (renova, avage). Right now I am experimenting with retrinal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
autumn -- Sorry, I don't know what SDM stands for -- is there a website? I'd love to see if they will ship to US.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
hello retinol users,

i'm in paris, looking for a good retinol product, and i'm stumped regarding the avene raves--retinol is the second to last ingredient in a long list of chemical additives in this product--how could it possibly be an alternative to green cream,which is a venue for pure retinol? i've used psf's retinol night cream with some success, but would like to up the concentration a bit--so far it seems as if prescription retin a doesn't exist here in france without a prescription, since i have not encountered anything that seems potent enough in a parapharmacy here. any ideas would be greatly appreciated, before i order internationally! doesn't it just seem odd that such a recognized product as retin-a and its derivatives aren't readily available to parisian ladies!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know much about the Avene. Maybe it's so popular because it's a retinol that those with more sensitive skin can use? I'm not sure.

I don't know if you can fine Skinceuticals there or not, but they make a retinol product too. I just bought some, and I'm finding that the 1% is definitely stronger than the Green Cream 9. I know there are a few more companies that sell retinol products, but I'm not sure what they are.
orionomega
5% products discount

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I gave Green Cream a solid year of twice daily use to work but it really didn't give me the results I was looking for so I stopped and I've been having better luck with other products.

In retrospect I wonder if I didn't exfoliate enough during the time that I used it? I never had a bad reaction to it (peelies, redness etc.) and it never caused me to break out.

The Green Cream forum board is a great resource. I wanted it to work - but it wasn't the product for me I guess (early forties, normal-to-oily skin with some wrinkling).
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I received a sample of GC 6 and have used it at night alternating with my CP serum. I like it. I'll probably purchase one. For me it seems to smooth out and tighten, or at least it seems. I haven't used it regularly enough to say what the total outcome is yet, but I do know I like it.

I don't get any irritation from it. It does seem to dry me out a little though which isn't a big deal since I just put some emu oil as a last step before I go to bed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Marci65: SDM stands for Shoppers Drug Mart. It's a Canadian drug store chain. Hope that helps. Smile
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
hello retinol users,

i'm in paris, looking for a good retinol product, and i'm stumped regarding the avene raves--retinol is the second to last ingredient in a long list of chemical additives in this product--how could it possibly be an alternative to green cream,which is a venue for pure retinol? i've used psf's retinol night cream with some success, but would like to up the concentration a bit--so far it seems as if prescription retin a doesn't exist here in france without a prescription, since i have not encountered anything that seems potent enough in a parapharmacy here. any ideas would be greatly appreciated, before i order internationally! doesn't it just seem odd that such a recognized product as retin-a and its derivatives aren't readily available to parisian ladies!

--avalange

Green Cream is retinol.
Avene is retinaldehyde.
Retin A by prescription is retinoic acid.

Retinol converts to Retinaldehyde which converts to Retinoic acid. Therefore, Avene is stronger than Green Cream (and seems to be easier to tolerate).

Here are quotes from MUA notepads. There is a wealth of info on retinoids and Avene. (Beethovengirl and Tetrakis).
Quote:
"Retinaldehyde is an immediate precursor of retinoic acid (the active ingredient in Retin-A) that is more effective than retinol since our keratinocytes transform retinol into retinaldehyde, which is then transformed into retinoic acid. Avene Ystheal Creme with 0.05% retinaldehyde has been shown to reduce wrinkles and photodamage in several peer-reviewed studies. This medical study published in J Am Acad Dermatol 1998;39:960-5 found that Ystheal Creme was comparable to Retin-A 0.05% cream in terms of wrinkle reduction [though slightly less effective] but much less irritating."

Quote:
"Green cream contains retinol. It must be converted *twice* to become the active form of vitamin A (retinoic acid, aka tretinoin, or RA for short). The first conversion happens with very little efficiency. This means that green cream could be *packed* with retinol, and still very little of it would become RA (active drug).

Diacneal contains 0.1% retinaldehyde (RAL for short). This is one step closer to RA than retinol. Basically, using RAL puts you one step closer to active drug and *skips* over that first conversion that doesn't happen very well. What all this means is that a large percentage of RAL becomes RA. In fact, mouse skin studies of diacneal versus 0.05% tretinoin cream (equivalent to renova, Rx anti-wrinkle cream) showed that diacneal was able to load the skin with *equivalent or higher* levels of RA than just applying 0.05% RA to the skin!!!! The renova cream doesn't even *need* to be converted, so the fact that diacneal may be as stronger or stronger than renova is amazing, imo! =)

Green cream hasn't been compared, but from what the medical literature shows, it could not even hold a candle to diacneal or renova.

In my estimation, diacneal wins in this category"

Quote:

Green cream is in a very strong ethanol base. The ethanol enhances penetration, but ethanol alone can also irritate the skin and cause it to peel.

The diacneal contains glycolic acid as it's penetration ehancer. It also exfoliates the skin a bit, but it has many advantages over ethanol. Glycolic acid can also address mild pigment concerns, whereas ethanol cannot. Also, glycolic acid not only increases penetration, but it helps the skin process the RAL more efficiently."

I used to use Green Cream (level 9) but I find Avene Ystheal and Diacnel just as effective and far less irritating.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm doing a half-face test with the Skinceuticals brand vs. Green Cream. (Crap, they're both retinol! Sad ) So far, I'm really reacting to it. I have reddness, roughness with peeling, and tenderness. Is this normal for one of these products? I've acutally never had any type of adjustment period with one before, and I'm wondering if this is the expected reaction or if it is something else my skin is reacting to. - It's similar to the type of reaction I would get if I did a glycolic peel that was too strong, so I'm guessing that's normal??
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I was using GC 3 for 2 months and my face had so much film leftover that it just stayed there and made my face look so oily even the next day! I was applying only a small amount and then it was suggested I kick it up a knotch and try level 6. I could only tolerate it a couple of times a week. My skin was looking better and so was under my eyes, but I couldn't take the extremely oily face any longer and gave it up. I ordered the Avene products a week ago and look forward to trying them.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |