Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How much MSM?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Loreg
5% products discount

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Yesterday I receive a bottle of 1500 mg MSM (Methylsulfanyl...). The label suggests one tablet daily. But I have read that some people take more than that doses. How much should I take to improve my skin and promote hair growth? Thanks in advance for your comments.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I do not take caps but powder and mix into juice. My dose is 1/2 teaspoon a day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
what is msm?
msn's new name Laughing ?
just kidding
a supplement for which purpose?
thanks Smile
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Loreg, when I took MSM, it helped initially with reducing hair shedding (not to mention bad joints), but then it leveled off. IIRC, it's a big pill or capsule, depending on the dose. I was taking extra MSM and biotin at the same time, and I had more acne from it -- especially cystic acne. So I cut them both out. I would Google MSM and USRDA (for recommended daily allowances) to get a guideline on the recommended and what possible problems might result if taking more than the RDA for a prolonged period of time.
CrazyForClooney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been taking MSM (3,000 mg) for allergies for a couple of years (very effective for me). You need to build up to levels above 1,500 as it has a detoxifying effect and too much can make you feel worse (achey, flu like) before you feel better. Build up the dosage slowly!
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
MSM has no issues associated with longterm use. It is water soluable, and degrades from system after 12 hours. It is normally present in all body tssues, and in the brain fluid barrier.
Many peopele take hugh doses for years, as much as 25,000 - 50,000 mcg daily with no ill effects.

Acne rarely happeans with MSM alone. But since it makes other suppliments permiate cells better, it can also increase sensitivity to other suppliments, and medications - so you need less medicine for the same effect. Smile

Occassionally, as a Toxin flush effect some people do have temporary skin rash, irritation or acne with MSM, but alone that is rare. Dose adjustments and getting through the Toxin Flush stage help, and it normally goes away.

Also dropping to a lower does may work.

For increased hair growth and skin benifits 1000 mcg to 4000 mcg daily is recomended.

Best results are divided doses at 2000 mcg max at each dose, 12 hours apart. (MSN flushs from the system at about 12 hours)

A recent study on 25 volunteers, men and women, showed 75% noticed increased hair growth, thickness, shine, and fullness after 6 weeks. This was measures with specialty equiptment.

Personally I noticed some results at two weeks, full results at 6 weeks. And I noticed a positive difference from 2000 mcg daily to a higher dose of 4000 macg daily. I recommend it a lot. It has benifited my hair and skin, and refined my skin texture.

Increase dose gradually - start at 500 to 1000 mcg daily for a week, then up your dose by 500 to 1000 mcg every few days - to your max level.

Powder is better then pills, because pills have fillers that can cause issues for some people at higher doses. Some MSM also has metels, and debris, making it a poor suppliment choice, and increaseing chances of a poor reaction.

OptiMSM and Lignisul brands are both highly recomended - both are pure and contaminant and metel free. Many sites carry then online. NSI Brands at Vitacost is good if you want a pill version. Or usewww.msm-msms.com orwww.bio-alternatives.com. Both have pills and powder. All good sources I have used and recomend. (I use ther powder - dissolves easily in any sweetened drink, and makes it easier to adjust dose then with pills)

Because MSM is a toxin remover, at higher doses you may have some naseuea , jitters etc for a few days as toxins flush from tissues. Especialy if you have been a heavy caffene drinker, smoker, or taken a lot of medications. This lasts only a few days. Dose adjustmenst and heavy water consumption help.

MSM also helps make cell walls more flexable and permiable, helping them release toxins easier, and absorb and use other nutrients better. This helps skin appear plumper and firmer also.

When taking MSM, also take at least 500 mg of Vit C daily, which enhances MSM use in the body.

See this link for details on that:

http://www.msm-msm.com/faq.html (toxin flush info)

http://www.msm-msm.com/info.html (general info)

Biotin DOES cause Cystic acne in many people if you take to high a dose for your needs.

I do take extra Biotin, but you need to adjust your dose for your level of tolerance. Everyones will differ on level, and it is more sensitive then MSM on reactions caused.

I can take upto 3000 mcg daily with no issue. Beyond that level I get acne. This is a very very common side effect with Biotin overload, simply drop your dose. Wink

Biotin is a water soluable B vitamin. It does not buildup or store in body tissues or fats, but excess flushs after 12 - 24 hours.

A great booster of hair and nail growth. Also effective for acne, and slow healing skin. It also helps for stronger hair.

Dermatitus,depression, hair loss, anemia, nausea, stomach and intestinal disease, alcoholics, can all benefit from increased Biotin.

Levels vary based on “your” needs. Suggested average daily ranges are 1000 to 5000 mcg daily.

Some people only need as little as 500 mcg daily. Some get enough in their diet.

2500 mcg Biotin daily is needed for stronger nails. Remember to much Biotin can cause acne, so bump dose down if you get breakouts within one to two weeks of increasing doses.

This link has great info on side effects, and max dose levels.

http://www.kroger.com/hn/Index/Supp.htm

Good info on conditions, suggested treatments and suppliments and herbals with dose levels are here:

http://www.kroger.com/hn/index/All_Index.htm
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
I've been taking 2000mg MSM daily for 4 weeks, since reading about the benefits on another thread, but I can't see any improvements in hair, skin or nails. Does this not work for everyone, or should I just give it longer? It's quite expensive, so don't want to waste money buying more if it's not going to benefit me. Can anyone advise please?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
The source I posted above is very cheap - $11 a pound for powder, pills not much more. That will easily last many people 3-6 months or more. Depending on your dose.

Depending on your version, it may not be pure, or have added fillers, which could affect results.

Most people see a lessening of hair shedding in two weeks, but visable growth will take 6 to 8 weeks in most people to be noticable.

Hair typically grows an average of 1/2 inch a month. Shed rate is averaged at 100 hairs daily.

That was my normal range. It does slow more at certin times of year, but thats the average. I have very visable root growth, since I dye my hair red, roots are dark and grey, so I can easily see growth speed change. I was loosing about 100 hair a day. As I chaged suppliments it went down to 50 a day.

My hair now grows at a steady 1 inch per month year round, sometimes even faster in summer. Shed rate is about 20 per day, year round. I have 1/4 inch in a week of new growth. very visable at two weeks, since my hair is straight.

I do take a number of other suppliments for hair and skin and health. But MSM is one of my main "must haves" for skin and hair, and was one that effected hair the fastest.

Nails do grow faster also, but it took a few months to see that for me.

I personally would give it at least 3 months, and I would also up your dose. 2000 mcg may not be enough for you. For me 4000 gave better results, and in the study quoted, that was also the recomended level - and results still took 6 - 8 weeks overall.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
This link also has some good MSM info, specifically on fadeing of hyperpigmentation - but it covers side effects etc also.

http://skincarerx.com/phorum/read.php?3,21783
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Tangal, thankyou so much for that valuble info,I appreciate the time you took to write that long but informative post.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I read this last article posted and I notice that it is centered around reduction of melasma patches. Should MSM work the same way with sun/age spots? THere was no mention of that.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Yes it "should" in theory - since in both cases it is still a "hyper pigmentation" issue - or too much pigmentation accumulating in one spot.

That’s all age spots and freckles are. Just dots, where a patch is a large area, or heavy concentrated group of "dots" - for lack of a better explanation.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou Tangal, I will persevere and up my dose. I've just checked and I paid Ł6.99 (I'm in the UK) for months supply, not really expensive I suppose but with other supplements I take, it does add up, so I'll try and find a cheaper supplier. Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.
Loreg
5% products discount

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much all of you for your input, especially Tangal, who has provided great information.
I will do a search to order pure MSM; what I really have now is GNC MSM. Perhaps it will not work the same as the other, but I think is a good beginning. Thanks again!
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
From one of the links above, was info for UK sources.

If you live in the UK go to a GNC health store and buy 'Supasulf', made by NutriLabs, it's a mainly white bottle with the trademark 'OptiMSM' stamped on it. Alternatively, you could order it online if you don't have a GNC store nearby at: http://www.msm-uk.net/to_buy_msm.htm, they also take orders from abroad. If you want to try/switch to the crystals, then go online to http://a1msm.com

To buy Rich's MSM Max (stronger), go to Google and type in 'Rich's MSM Max USA' and buy online - there are a few choices in the USA. In the UK, go to http://www.health-hippo.co.uk/products/msm/ Excellent stuff! And most definitely recommended because of it's perfect quality and efficacy and this brand will give you your optimal daily dose of pure MSM.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I personally would give it at least 3 months, and I would also up your dose. 2000 mcg may not be enough for you. For me 4000 gave better results, and in the study quoted, that was also the recomended level - and results still took 6 - 8 weeks overall.

I've been taking MSM for about 3 months and notice that my nails are in much better shape - they've always grown long but they are much stronger now (I'm also using Trind, which is helping a lot, too). Since cutting my hair, I've been wanting to get it grown out to atleast put in a ponytail.

I figured out that 4000 mcg is equal to 1 tsp. I've been taking 2000 mcg, it seems, and will bump my intake up. I also mix L-Glutamine (1 tsp.) and Silica Gel (2 tsp.) with the MSM in my juice mix. Tangal, thanks for the link. It's much more on Vitacost - my normal source.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal- Thanks for sharing so much great info. I would like your thoughts about taking MSM powder in addition to the following supplement: Hyaluronic Acid with Opti-MSM and BioCell Collagen Type II (this is the exact product http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=NWY-15603). I'm wondering if the MSM powder is the easiest way to increase my my daily levels as the 4 capsule dose of the HA+ supplement above only offers me a maximum of 2000 mcg of Opti-MSM per day. Ideally I'd like to increase my daily MSM consumption to 4000 mcg. Not certain if I should just buy regular HA supplements without the MSM and take it in powder form where I can measure out how much I want per day, or add the extra? Any thoughts?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I see no problem taking that supplement with MSM powder. And powder is easier to fine tune dose levels if you need to bump up or down a bit.

Personally if you like your HA with MSM, keep it, and just add on a separate powder MSM to adjust to the MSM levels you want to work with.

I would start by adding an extra 500 mcg a day, then gradually bump up from there over a few weeks until you reach the total MSM range you are aiming for.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your response Tangal! Smile Adding the extra MSM to my current HA & MSM caps is my preference. I like the idea of adjusting the levels of MSM with the powder version to "see" what will happen without changing my existing routine. Looking forward to further hair improvements now!
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Tangal,

I have to disagree with you: there have been NO long term studies done for long term efficacy and saftey for high dose MSM. There is some concern of herpetic toxicity (liver).

I take 3,000 mg MSM in 3 month bursts and then 2 month vacation.
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 22, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21691

Concise review with references
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |