Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best product for hydration and bringing shine to hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
suzyshrink

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Think I have tried it all need your suggestions. Thanks
Red Devil
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I learned, from another thread, that mixing a handful of honey with your shampoo or conditioner will make your hair shiny and soft. It definitely works for me!

My mother told me that a handful of baking soda will make your hair shine, too, because it's so cleansing. I haven't tested that one, though! Very Happy

American Indian/Irish/African descent, bleach-blonde hair with lowlights, tanned skin, greenish-brown eyes, strong facial features and drastically-improved lips! 28, but people tell me that I look seventeen-ish.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:03 am      Reply with quote
True enough about the honey.

But I think the Baking Powder is a less good bet.

It strips the hair, I believe. I think some people use it as a clarifier before a deep conditioning treatment.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I have curly hair, shoulder length, and it tends to be dry. Best thing I did for shine and moisture was switching to conditioner-only washing. My hair needed to adjust for about 3-4 weeks, but after that I have not gone back. Also, regular deep conditioning treatments (with heat, if possible) are great when you have time.
Red Devil
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
True enough about the honey.

But I think the Baking Powder is a less good bet.

It strips the hair, I believe. I think some people use it as a clarifier before a deep conditioning treatment.

Yes, that's exactly the word my mom used -- it strips the hair.

I've had a "deep heat" before, back when my mom worked in a beauty shop and I could get stuff like that for free. It does work! But I looooove the honey. I try to only wash my hair every other day.

American Indian/Irish/African descent, bleach-blonde hair with lowlights, tanned skin, greenish-brown eyes, strong facial features and drastically-improved lips! 28, but people tell me that I look seventeen-ish.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I use a 50% apple cider vinegar rinse for my oily hair, it makes a remkarable difference in shine and softness. (Don't get it in your eyes though Ouch)
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I have curly hair, shoulder length, and it tends to be dry. Best thing I did for shine and moisture was switching to conditioner-only washing. My hair needed to adjust for about 3-4 weeks, but after that I have not gone back. Also, regular deep conditioning treatments (with heat, if possible) are great when you have time.

I've switched over to co-washing also and don't use shampoo anymore, has made a difference. I'll also reiterate the honey and ACV rinses, works wonders for pennies! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:23 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
marci65 wrote:

I've switched over to co-washing also and don't use shampoo anymore, has made a difference. I'll also reiterate the honey and ACV rinses, works wonders for pennies! Very Happy

ariesxtreme-you must elaborate on co-washing!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Red Devil
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I particularly like the honey, because my hair is extremely shiny on the day after I use it (I wash every other day). So today I haven't washed my hair, but it is even shinier and softer than yesterday, when I washed it.

I really like Results Glossing Shampoo by Charles Worthington. Cheap and good! Cool

catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
ariesextreme - I have a hard time getting ALL my hair clean, somehow, with co washing. I somehow find that the back hair, under the surface isnt properly clean - the lack of lather somehow makes a problem.. I dont know.. I've tried mixing the conditioner in with warm water and honey in a cup of liquid, so it isnt so thick, but still.. I aint doin it right!

Have you ever tried rhassoul? I never had such Big Hair - it got bigger every day after I washed it.

I try to wash my hair only 3 x a week, or I get a really itchy scalp.

CO is, btw, conditioner - only washing, for those not familar with the abbreviation.
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I am going to give the honey a try, do you just mix it in your shampoo bottle?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:59 am      Reply with quote
bears wrote:

Im not sure how others use it, I add about 3 tablespoons to about 2-3 cups of warm water, stir, pour over hair AFTER washing and conditioning. Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Vonstella, basically I just wash my hair with conditioner, no more shampoos. Even the sulfate free left my hair dry and stripped the moisture from my hair..so no more! I've been doing this for probably oh I want to say 4 months now and my hair likes it better. To wash the scalp I use cheap conditioner, like sauve naturals, I work it into the scalp during the shower for about 5 min. I rinse that off and then put on another conditioner all over to condition or a deep treatment about once a week.

Since then, I haven't had much trouble with itchy scalp which I've always had, also..no flakes, or dandruff if you will. Because I'm only using conditioner I try to use products that have silicone in it or at least ones that aren't water soluable. For days if I feel that there is buildup I just do a ACV rinse or a baking soda rinse to get it clean. I've also heard lemon rinses do wonders for clarifying but will tend to turn your hair lighter.

Catski, how long have you been co-washing? When I first started I swore my hair felt like I wasn't washing all the residue off, also what products are you using. A lot of products today contain ingredients where you NEED a detergent to get rid of.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:08 am      Reply with quote
bears wrote:

You can do that, I myself actually use the honey rinse as my last step in the shower. Also I use a few drops in my products, i.e. mousse, gel, etc.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ariesxtreme I will give this a try.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I mix the honey with any conditioner, 1/2 & 1/2 Very Happy. Makes the hair less frizzy and (perhaps my imagination only) my hair dries faster.

Also CareKate recs the Pave shine serum. I am using it and eh...maybe honey is making my hair all shiny since it doesn't make any significant difference to shininess when added to damp hair. But I am going to keep using it because my hair just sucks it up, leaving no greasy feeling at all.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:

Catski, how long have you been co-washing? When I first started I swore my hair felt like I wasn't washing all the residue off, also what products are you using. A lot of products today contain ingredients where you NEED a detergent to get rid of.

I did it for a decent ( I thought ) length of time - like maybe 6 weeks. First of all, I got compliments on my hair, then eventually a girlfriend said "um.. about your hair.." to me, and I lost my nerve with continuing.

I didnt use any extra products on the under - back hair , which is the area I felt was lank during that time.

What I do now, is alternate co washing with shampoo bars and sometimes shampoo - so I've really cut back on sulphates and dont use conditioners with cones ever, at all.
I've stuck with the honey, and the vinegar rinse, as it really perks my hair up.

I use a wee bit of jojoba on the ends when it looks in need.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Another thing I tried a few days ago...olive oil, like a tablespoon mixed in with conditioner. It really made my hair soft and I didn't have trouble rinsing it out. Just don't use too much olive oil though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried using honey, but it seemed to leave my hair looking more poufy. A little olive oil mixed into conditioner helps give extra moisture when my hair needs it and jojoba applied very sparingly to the ends help with frizz. But what seems to have made the biggest difference are the vitamins I've been taking for the past two months. They're the GNC Women's Hair, Skin & Nail Formula. Honestly, my hair hasn't looked this good/healthy since I was 12! I can't tell if they've done anything for my skin, but my nails are stronger, too!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I found that ACV left my hair very clean but very fluffy.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
...it (Paves) doesn't make any significant difference to shininess when added to damp hair.
Try adding a bit to DRY hair to "finish" your style and see if you notice a difference (but you're probably right that you don't need the Paves for shine since you're doing the honey thing!)....

5% products discount

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Red Devil wrote:
I learned, from another thread, that mixing a handful of honey with your shampoo or conditioner will make your hair shiny and soft. It definitely works for me!

My mother told me that a handful of baking soda will make your hair shine, too, because it's so cleansing. I haven't tested that one, though! Very Happy

I have always had problems with my hair which is thick and course. Also dry from colouring too much. Will add honey to my routine and see how it works.

Thanks Red Devil
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
japok wrote:
Red Devil wrote:
I have always had problems with my hair which is thick and course. Also dry from colouring too much. Will add honey to my routine and see how it works.
FYI - avoid the baking soda if you color-treat your hair...apparently I've posted this rant so many times that some of you have it memorized Embarassed but it's something I feel strongly about so I can't help but share the warnings with others!
carekate wrote:
catski wrote:
Gosh. I'd have thought regularly using baking soda would have dried the hair right out.
No, it's worse! I've posted this info in several of the "glossy/shiny hair" threads, but it bears repeating:
carekate wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
If I really want to clarify any buildup I use a baka soda rinse about once a week.
I’ve done some research into the benefits/dangers of using baking soda on one’s face and/or hair and this is what I found out:

I found this particular statement from a forum devoted to long hair (note: it might have been “The Long Hair Community,” but at this point I no longer remember):

Baking soda's alkalinity is as high as that of haircoloring products although I realize that the amount or application method makes if more or less harsh depending on how baking soda is used.

I say, leave the baking soda for household cleaning. I apologize if I sound put off by the baking soda on hair thing, it's just that there are so many wonderful cosmetics out there, ones that smell lovely and are pleasant to use, that I have difficulty understanding how something like baking soda could appeal to anyone for use in their haircare routine.

Here is a link for the pH of BSoda (I think it's the same one I posted yesterday in the vinegar thread): http://www.kernsite.com/uwp/modules/pH/pH.htm)

The first sentence is the one that gets me: baking soda is as alkaline as hair dye?!?! What that basically means is that it is doing to dilate the hair cuticle in a similar manner as a hair color developer or perming solution. And when the hair cuticle is dilated, guess what happens to the previously deposited hair color pigment? Buh-bye –down the drain it went! Shock I used to use baking soda + shampoo for a super-clarifying treatment before I put two and two together and realized what was going on. I have a hard enough time keeping my red color-treated hair bright and vibrant for longer than a month without helping the fade-age along....

Just something to mull over!

P.S. And don’t even get me started on the perils of using baking soda to cleanse or exfoliate one’s face!! Confused

I pay a fortune to get my carmelized highlights done every couple months so I'll stick with my ACV and honey and leave the baking soda in shampoo to braver souls than I!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
My hair is waist length and straight. I've tried refined coconut oil and it works well for me. I just rub some on and leave it for an hour before washing and conditioning as normal. It's cheap and natural. However, I can't stand the smell of coconut so I don't use it often.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:

Do you not have any problems with having an oily scalp after a while or perhaps do you find your hair/head has a dirty old hair like smell? This would be my concern. Maybe my hair/scalp is just way too oily to go with this method! Rolling Eyes

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |