Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best Foot File Ever
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:44 am      Reply with quote
I just purchased a Microplane Foot File at Bed Bath & Beyond and it worked like a miracle on my heel callouses. It cost about $20 which is a bargain for keeping the bottom of my feet smooth and it works better than any pedicure treatment I've gotten in a salon. Cheaper than a trip to the podiatrist too. I'm hoping I won't be snagging my hosiery this winter. Smile
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Microplane orb file based on raves at MUA. Truly, nothing has gotten rid of the dry skin on my feet as safely and effectively as the orb. Before, no matter what cream I used, nothing would penetrate because the dry skin was so thick (sorry if that's TMI). I agree with you -- a big 2nd to your recommendation!
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:58 am      Reply with quote
After 'planing' give your tootsties a nice soak in Epsom salts, rinse - slather on a good thick butter (shea, cocoa etc) & some nice cotton socks, then go to bed. You're feet will recover nicely overnight. Even if you're like me and kick the socks off 1/2 way thru the night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I really love Kerasal ointment (available at the drugstore, at least in the US) after I buff my feet. (The ointment is thick and ointment-y, but it works better than the lotion, I've heard.) I put some socks on and my feet are unbelievably soft. I make sure to put it on the tops of my feet, too. Because it has salicylic acid, it has a general "rejuvenating" effect on my feet.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Even if you're like me and kick the socks off 1/2 way thru the night.

I do this every night. If I'm out of socks, they're usually caught in the sheets at the foot of the bed.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:
Even if you're like me and kick the socks off 1/2 way thru the night.

I do this every night. If I'm out of socks, they're usually caught in the sheets at the foot of the bed.

LOL - same here. Linen changing day is always the big recovered sock adventure!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
For all you Canadian gals out there - where do you buy the Microplane Foot File in Ontario??? I bought the La Cross Premier foot file in the spring at Walmart and it's okay, but not *great*. My heels are SOOO high-maintenance...would love to find a quick and effective solution for the callouses that grow back like weeds! Confused
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
For all you Canadian gals out there - where do you buy the Microplane Foot File in Ontario??? I bought the La Cross Premier foot file in the spring at Walmart and it's okay, but not *great*. My heels are SOOO high-maintenance...would love to find a quick and effective solution for the callouses that grow back like weeds! Confused
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
As another Canadian girl I'm anxious to know the answer too... although perhaps not quite as anxious as our lovely ScotsLass Laughing
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Just a "footnote:" I have done the epsom salt soak and used Kerasal ointment, vaseline, butters & socks and my feet would be nice for about a day. I also own several emery board-type foot files and have one of those electric manicure tools with the sanders. Like someone else said, my heel callouses grow like weeds so all of the above only worked if I did the routine every night. I had a pedicure at one salon about a year ago where the guy spent about about 25 minutes applying a salicylic acid gel and then pumiced my heels and my feet were smooth for about a week. It has been 4 days since I Microplaned and my heels feel normal *without* using creams and socks every night. I'm hoping I'll only have to use this about once a week, maybe two. I think it makes it easier for creams to absorb without wearing socks to bed. I'm always elated when I find something that really works. Very Happy
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Dahli wrote:
As another Canadian girl I'm anxious to know the answer too... although perhaps not quite as anxious as our lovely ScotsLass Laughing

I laughed so hard at this I sprayed the water I was drinking all over my monitor. Laughing I'm so sorry for the multiple posts - my network connection went wacky while I was posting this afternoon and Miss Impatience here clicked the 'submit' button several times thinking that would speed things up! Embarassed

Dahli, I really hope someone else here knows of a place in Ontario where we can buy this intriguing foot file...my feet so desperately need it!!! Sad
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Just a "footnote:" I have done the epsom salt soak and used Kerasal ointment, vaseline, butters & socks and my feet would be nice for about a day. I also own several emery board-type foot files and have one of those electric manicure tools with the sanders. Like someone else said, my heel callouses grow like weeds so all of the above only worked if I did the routine every night. I had a pedicure at one salon about a year ago where the guy spent about about 25 minutes applying a salicylic acid gel and then pumiced my heels and my feet were smooth for about a week. It has been 4 days since I Microplaned and my heels feel normal *without* using creams and socks every night. I'm hoping I'll only have to use this about once a week, maybe two. I think it makes it easier for creams to absorb without wearing socks to bed. I'm always elated when I find something that really works. Very Happy

Jax, thanks so much for recommending the Microplane file (I MUST try it!). I cannot believe how accurately you have described the slave rountine I go through with my feet - we could be foot twins! Wink I have bought so many creams and *intensive* treatments for my calloused heels and nothing cures them for longer than a few days at a stretch. It's as if I can never remove the skin fast enough to enable any product to penetrate deep enough to work - that's how quickly the skin reappears. The problem in verging on insidious! I'm also certain the hard water in my condo is a factor, but there is nothing I can do about this (I can't leave my feet behind when I step into the bath and shower everyday!). And I can't change the water system in the complex or add an independant softner. Out of curiousity, do you have hard water in your home? I'm wondering if this is why I can NEVER subdue the problem?
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
... And I can't ... add an independant softner.

Actually, you can! I'm not sure if you are in Scotland or where (I'm in the US) but there is a guy on eBay who sells portable water softeners for the shower. If you are in the UK, you might need an adapter for your pipes, but it might be worth it for you to look into this product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PORTABLE-WATER-SOFTENER-FOR-YOUR-SHOWER
_W0QQitemZ230056729524QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11862QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmd
ZViewItem

I live in Los Angeles and we have the hardest water here. I am *SO* buying one of these things for the shower as soon as I am able! I know it might be overkill, but I'm also going to get a shower head device that filters out chlorine and other chemicals. My hair has taken a beating since moving to LA and I'm tired of it. Maybe your feet might benefit from this?
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
ScotsLass wrote:
... And I can't ... add an independant softner.

Actually, you can! I'm not sure if you are in Scotland or where (I'm in the US) but there is a guy on eBay who sells portable water softeners for the shower. If you are in the UK, you might need an adapter for your pipes, but it might be worth it for you to look into this product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PORTABLE-WATER-SOFTENER-FOR-YOUR-SHOWER
_W0QQitemZ230056729524QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11862QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmd
ZViewItem

I live in Los Angeles and we have the hardest water here. I am *SO* buying one of these things for the shower as soon as I am able! I know it might be overkill, but I'm also going to get a shower head device that filters out chlorine and other chemicals. My hair has taken a beating since moving to LA and I'm tired of it. Maybe your feet might benefit from this?

Very, very interesting - thanks so much for the info! I am a first generation Canadian/Scot living in Toronto Canada, so hopefully I shouldn't need any type of adapter for my shower with this portable softner. I'll look into it further because maybe this will really help slow down the development of calloused skin on my heels. If nothing else it should really improve the shine in my hair - thanks again!Smile
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Scots! I live in the Chicago area and the water here is medium hard. I have had dry skin all my life so I just assumed this is the advancing dryness that comes with aging. Podiatrists have offered various opinions on the chronic callousing - a combination of dry skin, the way I walk vs. the changing anatomy of my feet, disappearing cushioning as I age, etc. etc. I really hate wearing socks to bed...I'm one of those people who kicks the covers off my feet so they can be cool while the rest of me is covered up. I already spend a bundle on skin and hair care so weekly or monthly pedicures at a salon are something I deny myself (I usually indulge about twice a year) hence the eternal quest for at-home products that work but don't require a daily regimen - my dance card is so full of daily do-dads. It's now the 5th day after Microplaning and I am intentionally not putting any lotions or creams on my feet to see how long it will be for the 'white skin' to show itself. I would be so happy if I could do an intensive pedicure once a month and maintain it with just a slather of a body lotion du jour after bathing. I was a little afraid to buy the Micro because it's exactly like the one made for kitchen use, only palm sized, but I'm glad I tried it. I was on the verge of buying a professional electric model with heavy-duty burrs for about $160 that I found on-line. Anyway, if they let me post it, here's a link to the one I have:
http://us.microplane.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10

If you get one, please let me know what you think of it since we are "sole twins." Smile
Kallia
5% products discount

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Ok, going to have to look into this one. I have a great one now that I purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply a long time ago. I wanted to get a new one, but haven't seen it anymore. So, I'll go check this one out!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Okay, so it sort of works on your callous like a lemon or orange peel zester? I can see my hubby removing his whole heel in a few hearty rubs with the "zest" he puts into working my swedish clover foot file. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:
Hi Scots! I live in the Chicago area and the water here is medium hard. I have had dry skin all my life so I just assumed this is the advancing dryness that comes with aging. Podiatrists have offered various opinions on the chronic callousing - a combination of dry skin, the way I walk vs. the changing anatomy of my feet, disappearing cushioning as I age, etc. etc. I really hate wearing socks to bed...I'm one of those people who kicks the covers off my feet so they can be cool while the rest of me is covered up. I already spend a bundle on skin and hair care so weekly or monthly pedicures at a salon are something I deny myself (I usually indulge about twice a year) hence the eternal quest for at-home products that work but don't require a daily regimen - my dance card is so full of daily do-dads. It's now the 5th day after Microplaning and I am intentionally not putting any lotions or creams on my feet to see how long it will be for the 'white skin' to show itself. I would be so happy if I could do an intensive pedicure once a month and maintain it with just a slather of a body lotion du jour after bathing. I was a little afraid to buy the Micro because it's exactly like the one made for kitchen use, only palm sized, but I'm glad I tried it. I was on the verge of buying a professional electric model with heavy-duty burrs for about $160 that I found on-line. Anyway, if they let me post it, here's a link to the one I have:
http://us.microplane.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10

If you get one, please let me know what you think of it since we are "sole twins." Smile

Hey Jax - I never had calloused feet to this degree until 3 years ago, so maybe I am in denial about it being age related Shock ? My sweetie implied as much last night which almost introduced him to an up-close-and-personal experience with both of my heels Laughing. He also loves to joke about my Houdini skills whenever I sleep with socks on because at some mysterious point in the middle of the night they both come off and end up neatly tucked under my pillow by morning!!! hmm I have no idea how I do this without waking up, but it happens every time! So skin treatments and socks are not the answer for me.

I also save my money for skin and hair products and occasionally indulge in spa pedicures throughout the warmest months of the year. Prior to my callous problem, I never had professional pedicures at all as my feet always looked nice when I did them on my own. I think the Microplane product is definitely the answer to my problems as it removes a significant level of skin without going too deep, and it isn't a daily regime <this is mega important to me>. I hope you keep us abreast of your results and how effective they are long-term as your *sole twin* here in Canada thinks you've found the HG of foot files!

BTW - *sole twin* is so clever...love it!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Darn you people for pointing out one more good thing to buy, had to order it for my hubby as a stocking stuffer. Hopefully it won't take his heel off if he rubs too hard! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Scots, too funny (and sorry Wink) about the monitor.... hee

So far I've had no luck on finding it here in SK either, but I'll definitely let you know if I hear anything!
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Scots - You are so funny! LOL Very Happy And, yes, my chronic callousing appeared over the last few years too even though I wear more normal shoes now, rarely the stilettos I used to wear when I was a career-girl-about-town. So, sad to say, our feet along with everything else, need more maintenance!

Annie - just tell your husband to read the directions (very short), start with gentle pressure and increase as needed. I was a little apprehensive at first because YES! it has those tiny blades just like the Microplane zester, but it works like a charm. I have one of those razor blade thingys made for corns that I've used on my callouses and more than once accidentally went too deep and was pretty tender. I think the Microplane is safer.

Updated Report: today is the 6th day after Planing and my feet were in Uggs for more than 10 hours since a winter storm blew in. I see some white lines forming on my heels for the first time in 6 days. This is an extremely good test result since I was fairly conservative with the first planing because I didn't want to overdo it and I have not applied any lotion, cream or ointment to my feet all week. I plan to do a full-tilt pedi this weekend and will scrape down further and will start including my feet with whatever body cream I use. But even now, my heels are smooth instead of having those little raggedy edges here and there that I think are caused by the emery board foot files. I'm very optimistic about this cute little orb. Wink
mwilson569
5% products discount

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:47 am      Reply with quote
I absolutely have to try this Orb - Melissa
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jax, I just went to bed bath & beyond and bought this! I'm so excited to use it! Thanks for your review Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Got mine in for hubby but I wrapped it up so I can't review just yet. Let me know how you that tried it are using it.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |