Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Im on the hunt for a good foundation and Im very interested in this one-the fact that it doubles as a concealer is a *huge* bonus for me. Before I plunk down the money I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it-such as-does it turn orange, how long is the wear, does it cake or settle into lines, breakouts? Thanks Ladies! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am actually considering buying the loose powder, it is quite a dear price and only has 3 reviews on MUA... but some have likened it to CdP products. Perhaps try MUA for some reviews?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I am actually considering buying the loose powder, it is quite a dear price and only has 3 reviews on MUA... but some have likened it to CdP products. Perhaps try MUA for some reviews?

Thanks miranets, I already checked MUA for reviews-ran into the same problem you did, only about 7 or so reviews. Also I was hoping to talk to someone on EDS that was currently using it...I know what you mean about the prices, Im trying to look at it like--yes its expensive but supposedly a little goes a long way and heck, if it works then its worth it...

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
I actually read all the reviews for the Gossamer and concealer product (lots of reviews) - and they seem pretty good, and very enticing too. But again, there are so many shades and it will be a pain in the butt if I picked the wrong one.

Perhaps you will be the first EDS guinea pig to start the Kevyn Aucoin storm ??

Laughing
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hehe. I think so! I know it seems counterproductive but now that my skin has cleared I really want to find a nice foundation-not that I really need one-Im just a girly girl that loves putting on full makeup!Very Happy
Im sick of MMU-too much trouble for little payoff and I get super duper shiny(no matter what)before I even leave the house and the powder foundation I use now makes me feel like a powdered donut! Laughing I want something with a really beautiful finish, I hope that with the KA SSE and some Jurlique Rose Silk Dust I will finally find my HG combo...*fingers crossed*! I think Im gonna skip over to Neimans tomorrow and snag some samples of this, I'll report back with my findings.Very Happy

abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using this for awhile now. I do not use it on my whole face as a foundation. I mix it with my sunscreen to make my fav sunscreen (shiseido) into a tinted sheer base. I love it for this. I also use it occationally on a blemish and the coverage is amazing and it lasts all day long.

HTH,
Liz

I had to laugh at the picture of you skipping over to neimans!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
It is supposed to be excellent and you only use a teeny weeny bit at a time.
You have to be careful on the colour matching as I think there is a myriad of choice.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:39 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Thanks miranets, I already checked MUA for reviews-ran into the same problem you did, only about 7 or so reviews.

only 7??? there seems to be 171.... http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=19479/The_Sensual_Skin_Enhancer_/Kevyn_Aucoin/Foundations/

i tried this a few years back when it first came out and hated it, but that was back when i used to be intimidated by MUA's and let them choose colours that were way off for me (and had a lot of imperfections to hide). it was a thick mask and i felt and looked like a Barbie doll with hepatitis. it also turned very orange on me (i seem to be able to turn most foundations) by the end of the day.

that said, i think this could be a lovely foundation and brilliant concealer if you get the right shade and know what you're doing and have a bit of patience to get the application right. i have total faith that anyone who could groom their eyebrows as lovely as you do, could get this to work properly. and use a very, very light hand!

good luck!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
i felt and looked like a Barbie doll with hepatitis.

Laughing Laughing

I find it a difficult concept to grasp: Using a rice grain size of product!! I am usually very light handed when it comes to applying any cream based makeup products.. but I couldn't see myself as having enough stealth and agility to quickly spread [.] <--- this much product on both cheeks!

I agree with Vonstella, my skin has cleared up a lot, so the main purpose of such a heavy duty product is more for balancing colour rather than filling in pits or pores.

For the longest time, I have resisted reading threads on high end make up products.. because I know I am the type to become a compulsive addict to them Sad
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:50 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I agree with Vonstella, my skin has cleared up a lot, so the main purpose of such a heavy duty product is more for balancing colour rather than filling in pits or pores.

you know, i recently rediscovered a foundation that can be used as a concealer as well. i've seriously been using a sample for the past few weeks and am floored by its simplicity and naturalness. i only use where needed (on red spots) and then kind of blend it in the rest of my face to even things out. much much easier to spread and just a tiny amount can really even things out.... it's totally not a sexy brand, but if you get a chance -- give it a whirl. Erno Laszlo Absolute Finishing Mousse.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=36768/Absolute_Finish_Finishing_Mousse_Foundation/Erno_Laszlo/Foundations/
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:

I had to laugh at the picture of you skipping over to neimans!

Yes it will be funny b/c I'll be very happy on the way to the store *BUT* once I get there I become very wary of all the SA's...I also feel the need to get dressed up when ever I go there! Rolling Eyes Laughing

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
vonstella wrote:
Thanks miranets, I already checked MUA for reviews-ran into the same problem you did, only about 7 or so reviews.

only 7??? there seems to be 171.... http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=19479/The_Sensual_Skin_Enhancer_/Kevyn_Aucoin/Foundations/

i tried this a few years back when it first came out and hated it, but that was back when i used to be intimidated by MUA's and let them choose colours that were way off for me (and had a lot of imperfections to hide). it was a thick mask and i felt and looked like a Barbie doll with hepatitis. it also turned very orange on me (i seem to be able to turn most foundations) by the end of the day.

that said, i think this could be a lovely foundation and brilliant concealer if you get the right shade and know what you're doing and have a bit of patience to get the application right. i have total faith that anyone who could groom their eyebrows as lovely as you do, could get this to work properly. and use a very, very light hand!

good luck!

Geez! Where was I looking, maybe at the shades!? I should really get more sleep! Thanks la vie en rose! Very Happy

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:

Exactly what I was planning on using it for.

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
miranets wrote:

you know, i recently rediscovered a foundation that can be used as a concealer as well. i've seriously been using a sample for the past few weeks and am floored by its simplicity and naturalness. i only use where needed (on red spots) and then kind of blend it in the rest of my face to even things out. much much easier to spread and just a tiny amount can really even things out.... it's totally not a sexy brand, but if you get a chance -- give it a whirl. Erno Laszlo Absolute Finishing Mousse.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=36768/Absolute_Finish_Finishing_Mousse_Foundation/Erno_Laszlo/Foundations/

Forgot to ask-does this suit very pale skin? I always have a female dog of a time finding a shade for my skin...

ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I use this concealer and I LOVE it! It's my HG concealer now. I love so much about it, I can't really say it all in a simple concise way so here goes....

You truly only need a grain size amount for coverage. It blends beautifully. I was desperate for good concealer so I was finally willing to pay the $45 price tag but I still couldn't do it online because I didn't want to make a mistake with the color matching -- I had to wait until I went somewhere that had this stuff (and that was a trip to Chicago back in March). I have been using this daily since March and I have barely made a dent in the jar! I think that this will last me probably four years at this rate! I try to be careful how I get the product out of the jar (try not to use my hands) because of this fact.

I have a hard time finding a good concealer because I am so very pale like you. NOTHING ever seems to work for me. If I get the right tone, oftentimes, the concealer will then either be too pink or too yellow. This is the perfect shade for me!! I was soooo excited about that. I don't like it much for under my eyes (although it does a beautiful job with that) just because I found another concealer that is the perfect shade for that (a Bobbi Brown one -- it has a little yellow to it so it's good for the circles and is more moisturizing).

When my skin is in good condition, I think this is great to use as a light foundation with a little powder over it. The wonderful aspect to this concealer is that it is buildable. I can go very light or very heavy if I want (I don't like to but I could if I wanted to).

I think his range of colors for this concealer is nice (at least on my end of the spectrum, I'm not sure about dark skin). I think this is a good investment.

Finally, one of the best aspects to this concealer is that it LASTS. It stays on beautifully during the day. I appreciate this so much when I'm using it to cover old acne marks or new ones. It's nice to feel confident that your red zit is not going to shine through for the whole world to appreciate!! Laughing

My shade is SX05.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Ok ellyp I trust you-it also sounds like we have similar skin types/issues.....I cant wait till my afternoon trip to NM! YEA!

Does anyone know how to pronounce his last name? I dont want to seem like Im from the sticks!

ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Ok ellyp I trust you-it also sounds like we have similar skin types/issues.....I cant wait till my afternoon trip to NM! YEA!

Does anyone know how to pronounce his last name? I dont want to seem like Im from the sticks!

No, I just guess. Maybe you can let them say it once before you say it so that they don't know you have no clue. Laughing I would love to know myself but no one around me has ever heard about him. (That's why I love you all so much! )
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I have used the KA products since they first came out. I really like the Skin Enhancer , but for all over use some days I find it a bit too heavy. I prefer his new foundation, an airbrush one, (it is a liquid, but it gives a nice finish, really nice).
I am very fair as well, and have never had a problem with shades from his line.
(I am in Canada, it can be a pain getting it shipped here, esp. the cost).
Also, I highly recommend the loose powder as well, excellent, hths. Very Happy
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Forgot to ask-does this suit very pale skin? I always have a female dog of a time finding a shade for my skin...

the Porcelain is a nice light shade but it's got quite a bit of pink. i use it, even to cover a little too much red in my cheeks, and it blends in beautifully. but then again, i'm a pale neutral that tends towards pink and i use a very light hand.... if you get a chance and are a bit pinky like me, try for a sample. it doesn't quite have the staying power of KA (nothing does!), but it really is quite nice.

in the KA, make sure you get a little sample pot of SX1 seperately. that way you can lighten the shade they give you if it turns a little dark on your skin (which it did on me). just say it's for concealer or some such nonsense.

BTW: you pronounce his name OH-KWAN (typical of french, the accent is on the second syllable and the N is very nasal). i've been a fan of his forever! oh, and check out his lippies -- very very nice. as for dressing up to go to Neimans, screw it. it's all in attitude. you can go in sweats as long as you have the proper 'tude Bad Grin just arch those brows!
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:

in the KA, make sure you get a little sample pot of SX1 seperately. that way you can lighten the shade they give you if it turns a little dark on your skin (which it did on me). just say it's for concealer or some such nonsense.

BTW: you pronounce his name OH-KWAN (typical of french, the accent is on the second syllable and the N is very nasal). i've been a fan of his forever! oh, and check out his lippies -- very very nice.

I've thought it might be nice to invest in another pot of this because it would be nice to have some to blend (ie. summer months when I get darker --somehow I do even though I use sunscreen everyday and I stay out of the sun!).

I also invested in a red lippie from him. LOVE it!! I wish I had bought a lighter color though just cuz I would like to wear it more. It has such a nice stain to it and does not look heavy at all. Lasts nicely and wears away prettily as well. Wish I was you and could go to someplace to play with all his colors in person! Of course, that's probably better for my pocketbook!....
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
ellyp wrote:
Wish I was you and could go to someplace to play with all his colors in person! Of course, that's probably better for my pocketbook!....

i can only play when i'm visiting the states now -- thank god for *my* pocketbook!!! Laughing
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I heard the pronunciation from the horse's mouth one time on TV -- Kevin Aucoin said it was pronounced "oh-KWEN".

He was a brilliant makeup artist and I'm always interested to read reviews of his products. I'll have to check out this concealer if it's sold locally.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all. I hate to be the lone disenter, but I bought this & am not happy with it. Even using a small amount, I find the texture too thick. I prefer Giorgio Armani foundation or Vincent Longo Water Canvas Foundation. I also use Cle de Peu concealer under my eyes. To each their own.... Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
I also use Cle de Peu concealer under my eyes.

I've heard enough people laud this concealer that I'm soooo close to checking this one out. After all, if I've already paid $45 for one, what's $20 more, right? Razz I'm just grateful I don't have any stores that sell it near me right now!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Actually, I heard the pronunciation from the horse's mouth one time on TV -- Kevin Aucoin said it was pronounced "oh-KWEN".

if you say "KWAN" with the nasally french N, it actually comes out sounding somewhere between KWAN and KWEN -- kind of like if you said KWAH-EN really fast. i met him many many moons ago but never really understood the pronounciation until i moved to france.... most of the MUA's who work his counters tend to pronounce it KWAN rather than the correct way unless they're really pretentious -- in which case i've heard them do a number on his first name as well (which he never did).

regardless, the sounds are pretty alien to our american ears. i've been in france over a year and still don't respond when they call 'Madame Wilder' in the doctor's office Bad Grin
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |