Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is most penetrating plant oil - comparable to emu?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to use a good oil for my slightly dry skin and am wondering which is the most penetrating? I know emu oil is supposed to go through several layers, but I dont like the fact that its coming from an animal. Which plant oil is comparable to emu?
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
have you tried squalane, from olives?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Someone mentioned this before...I think it was meadowfoam seed oil...but I'm not sure.

I'm going to go try to find the thread...

ETA: Can't find it. Oh bother. For some reason I remember this was the oil but I'm not sure. I filed it in my head for a reason, BUT that doesn't mean it was for this specific reason.

I'll keep trying!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I thought the reason why emu oil penetrates so well is because of its high % of lineolic acid? Correct me if I am wrong. Someone mentioned that on the DIY thread.

I heard that macadamia oil is the closest equivalent to emu oil - in terms of how well the skin absorbs it.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Macademia is very heavy I read. Squalane sounds great. Where can I get it for the best price Smile?
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I love squalane! It's a "biological healing oil" like emu, it restores and protects the skin's barrier, and it has ant-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Is squalane compatible with oily/blemish prone skin?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

Nope. For this type of skin I would try jojoba oil.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Meadowfoam Seed Oil is a long chain fatty acid oil. Good penetration and fairly light if used sparingly. Only about 3 drops will do face, neck and decollete.

Same goes for Rosehip Seed Oil, which is good also for problem skin.

Squalane is excellent. Love it. It can be used on skin with existing breakouts. In your case, it's the one I'd recommend, too.

I also love Camellia Oil for fast, deep penetration. It's great for scars and stretch marks (as is Rosehip Seed Oil). But, Camellia Oil can slow healing of existing breakouts.

Hope this helps.

Ari

5% products discount

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Squalane and I've heard about Kukui (sp?) nut oil too...
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I recall from another board that several acne-prone people reported having increased breakouts from squalane. I would be very careful with this.

Jojoba or hazelnut oils were recommended to me as a base oil for combo acne-prone skin.

HTH,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
camellia oil is very penetrative ... this site www.goldportbeauty.com has some explanation. I used it on my depressed acne scars and they have been plumped up, so it says something. I have oily skin and it doesn't make me more oily nor cause any problems ... in fact it heals my broken out skin and fades brown spots faster when i apply it.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
Quote:

Nope. For this type of skin I would try jojoba oil.

I have oily mega acne-prone skin and for some reason, jojoba oil is too heavy on my skin and breaks me out, but squalane is absolutely perfect. I think it's best to sample each and see which works best for each individual's skin type.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
For oily skin who must use the distilled Jojoba oil.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:04 am      Reply with quote
The color of distilled jojoba oil is clear like water,that l have been used long time ago..
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Refined Macadamia Oil is the one you want to use if you prefer not to use the animal based Emu Oil. Emu Oil does have a fatty acid profile that is very similar to the profile of skin lipids. However, Macadamia also has a very similar fatty acid profile to the skin. This translates to an oil that will be very compatible to the fats that make up your skin composition. Meadowfoam oil is over 90% C20 and C22 fatty acids, and this is not similar to the skin lipid profile. These are long chain fatty acids and more than likely will just sit on top of the skin and not penetrate, or penetrate very slowly.

Refined Macadamia Oil would be my recommendation.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have oily mega acne-prone skin and for some reason, jojoba oil is too heavy on my skin and breaks me out, but squalane is absolutely perfect. I think it's best to sample each and see which works best for each individual's skin type.

That's very interesting! It's good advice to sample different oils and see what works best for you.
simplenpure
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Jojoba oil and camellia oil are both penetrative.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:
Refined Macadamia Oil is the one you want to use if you prefer not to use the animal based Emu Oil. Emu Oil does have a fatty acid profile that is very similar to the profile of skin lipids. However, Macadamia also has a very similar fatty acid profile to the skin. This translates to an oil that will be very compatible to the fats that make up your skin composition. Meadowfoam oil is over 90% C20 and C22 fatty acids, and this is not similar to the skin lipid profile. These are long chain fatty acids and more than likely will just sit on top of the skin and not penetrate, or penetrate very slowly.

Refined Macadamia Oil would be my recommendation.

John

Hi John! Why refined macadamia oil? Is it because it is less heavy? I had a search on google and most suppliers (cosmetic-wise) didn't sell refined macadamia oil.
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
i use squalene every day and love it. I apply it before any regular moisturizer day or night, and not only does squalene penetrate immediately, but according to research and my own snooping around on the internet, it helps the next product your apply to perform better.

I previously used Rose Hip oil around my eyes, but found it just sat on top of my skin and ruined a few pillow cases . Squalene on the other hand, really truly sinks right in.

I started using squalene when i got a bout of dermatitis on my forehead(first time this had EVER happened to me and i positively PANICKED), and even after my prescription cortisone cream didn't work, squalene cleared it up almost immediately.

So needless to say, i'm a huge fan. I also work in a very dry environment and my skin just drinks up the squalene.

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
steffers...do you mean squalEne (from sharks) or SqualAne (from olives)?

I'm too afraid to try either, really...my face freaks out because I'm prone to blemishes. But I live in the desert, so I have to moisturize some.

I can't ever balance all the time! Smile Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't.
Can't wait to move from this crazy weather we've got down here...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
hello ParisTroika
Good question, I had to go and look at my bottle, thank you for pointing out the difference, I knew about the 2 types, but I never noticed the spelling difference.
I'm using Squalane from olives.

I am also suuuuper oily, and have been fighting it my whole life, from accutane to laser treatments. I am now taking the advice of the girls on this forum, and I'm fighting oil with oil, that is, --light-absorbed-right-away--kind of oil. I realised that part of my problem was that by fighting oil on my t-zone, I was drying out the rest of my face, resulting in irritation, sensitive spots, and breakouts not healing properly.

Squalane has made my face seem calmer, less red, and a lot more moisturized. I notice a huge improvement, as my breakouts are less frequent, and when i do get a small pimple, i find it goes away faster and never gets that "big".

You can get samples of Mayumi Squalane from most health food stores where it is sold so you can try it out first. That's what I did and I was sold.

I also fight shine with carekate's suggestion of milk of magnesia dabbed on with a cotton ball...no more oily shine and no more need to blot!

it's an uphill battle...i know!!
good luck! Wink

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using squalane for years whenever I get dry patches on my face and it works exceedingly well without making me greasy. Also, when I went skiing in the Rockies years ago, I learned from the locals to use safflower oil to combat dry skin. So many people had a bottle of this sitting on their bathroom vanity!
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Steffers, is Carekate's recommendation to use the MOM before or after sunscreen? I would guess....before?
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto to the squalane. I've been using it for months, and even add several drops to moisturizing cream. I just ordered some from Amazon, Vitamin Shoppe for under $14.00 for 2.17 ounces. It's called Mayumi squalane oil, which is the same brand I purchase at my local vitamin/health food store for around $19.00.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |