Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to keep zinc sunscreen from drying out your skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I have been looking for the perfect physical sunscreen since ...well, since forever, and I thought I had found it with Juice Beauty...except that, like most other sunscreens, Juice Beauty physical sunscreens are very oily looking and never seem to dry. I love how they make my skin feel, but I look like a literal oil slick, and if I touch my face, the sunscreen comes off.

I have switched to Elemental Herbs Kinds' Sunscreen. It has good ingredients, such as green tea and rose hips oil and it dries relatively matte. However, since it has 22.5% zinc in it , it seems to be very drying. I washed my face last evening and it actually hurt. I made sure that I put extra oil and Cerave on my face and it was wonderful this morning.

I used the sunscreen again today and I slathered extra Cerave under the sunscreen. It was Ok for awhile, but now my face feels like it's drying out again.

Is there anything I can use short of Vaseline or Aquaphor to keep my skin moisturized?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Thats the very reason I switched to Tinosorb SS.

Zinc/titanium ones are either too matte or too greazy. And suck the life out of my skin.

Pratima was good but its hard to find and the body version which is a better buy is frequently out of stock. So I gave up and use Uriage BarieSun Children's Milk spf 50. perfect.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Where do you buy the Uriage from and is it photostable after 2 hours? Thanks!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 am      Reply with quote
Is *anything* stable after 2 hours?Zinc particles rub off, chemicals degrade. Best practice is to reapply any sunscreen after 2 hours if in the sun, sweating or swimming.

FrenchCosmeticsForLess.com is where I get mine. Its available in chemists in EU tho.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hello bullet875 Smile I use a "regular" moisturizer or skin cream (that you can buy at Walmart) before putting on my sunscreens. But everyone is different. I have combination skin and even combination skin needs "moisture"... I do this regularly and keep my skin in good health this way...

bullet875 wrote:

Is there anything I can use short of Vaseline or Aquaphor to keep my skin moisturized?
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:19 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem.I tried several physical suncreen,and most of them are too oily.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:47 am      Reply with quote
My thinking is that I'd rather the particles just break down naturally rather than through the chemical reaction that's happen on my skin immediately upon exposure to sunlight. When I wear chemical ss, my skin feels hotter to the touch--I don't like that!
I think physical ss is more reliable in the end. I always reapply!

Re: zinc drying out your skin, I find that Burnout sunscreens are extremely emollient. And they offer very high protection as well.

fawnie wrote:
Is *anything* stable after 2 hours?Zinc particles rub off, chemicals degrade. Best practice is to reapply any sunscreen after 2 hours if in the sun, sweating or swimming.

FrenchCosmeticsForLess.com is where I get mine. Its available in chemists in EU tho.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, yes I did like BurnOut for general beach use. But its not cosmetically elegant enough for picky me. Zinc and TiO2 show up on photography as Ghost Face!

Uriage BarieSun Childrens' Milk has Tinosorb M which is actually a hybrid (chemical/physical) agent. Its photostable and stabilizes other ingredients according to literature:

http://www.smartskincare.com/skinprotection/sunblocks/sunblock_bisoctrizole.html

http://blog.pharmacymix.com/why-tinosorb-m-and-tinosorb-s-are-effective

Not gonna bombard you with a wall of C/P, but you can follow the links if you are curious. Avene is another EU SS that uses Tinosorb technology but I like Uriage's consistency better.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:29 am      Reply with quote
To me 22.5% zinc is ridiculously high, one single ingredient won't do the job well

I would suggest La Roche Posay Anthelios XL melt-in cream. My skin is allergic to direct sunlight, this product works great for me.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |