Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can someone compare vit C products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just looking into buying a vit c product, but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm deciding between PSF Super Emergen C Repair Serum 20%, Vivier Vitamin C IDS High Potency Serum 20, and Cellular Skin Rx C+Firming Serum. Can someone who have tried them give me a comparison or suggestion? Thank you so much.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm interested in this too. I'm using the Cellular SKin 12% one. My experience is weird. For 3 months, everything was great and then bam, I had a huge allergic reaction. Since then I have cautiously re-introduced it and sometimes it's ok and other times not. I'd hate to completely pass on Vit C altogether.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I was so impatient I ended up ordering PSF vit c 12% today! I was contemplating ordering the 20% one but since I've never used vit c before and my skin is very sensitive and reactive, I just decided to take it slow. Hopefully, it will help improve my skin! Fingers crossed! Very Happy What's the texture of Cellular Skin Rx like?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Let us know how the PSF works. I have my eye on it too.

The Cellular one is sort of watery with a little slip.

Good luck!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I found this on MUA - Cellular Skin only. If you look on MUA for StAmourOwl's notepad, she has a ton of info on Vitamin C.

Product
* C+ Firming Serum

Type of Vitamin C
L-Ascorbic Acid

Concentration
12%

Ph

Delivery System Contact
Butylene Glycol stabilizing solution

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
oooh, that's a pretty low pH. Hmmm Think Thanks for link.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm also interested. I can only speak for the PSF 20% vit C, which I have used since the summer. I was happy with it, because my skin seems to be improving little by little. I use so many products though, how does one know what is actually working and what is not?! I'm now having doubts about the PSF Vit C because of Tangal's well-written post that Vit C should be clear colored. She says that Vit C turns yellow when it is going bad. The PSF has always been a deep yellow, from the first time I opened it. I had thought that the HA was what made it yellow, but I just got a bottle of the PSF HA last week, and it is clear colored. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the ingredient list that would cause a yellow color, so that must mean the C is bad. I am naturally bummed. I have about a quarter of the bottle left, which I guess I now have to toss. Plus, I must have been damaging my skin all this time.

lynn2525 wrote:
I'm just looking into buying a vit c product, but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm deciding between PSF Super Emergen C Repair Serum 20%, Vivier Vitamin C IDS High Potency Serum 20, and Cellular Skin Rx C+Firming Serum. Can someone who have tried them give me a comparison or suggestion? Thank you so much.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I just pmed Darren asking what color the vit c serum is meant to be. I got a bit worried after reading your post, so I asked the assistant on live help if it's possible to exchange products in case they've gone bad, she told me to email her manager at margaret@essentialspa.com. Anyway, I'm gonna wait til I hear back from Darren and get my PSF vit c serum. If it's gone bad I'll contact the manager then.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Mine seems to have stayed fresh so far.
Very Happy
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
vivier>sc>cellex-c
sc cef serum is not so stable as it claims,i purchase one and stock it in a no-sunlight,low tempreture area,it became yellow when i plan to use.
it is not opened before,a brand new one!!!
my heart break at that time.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Emma2006, are you refering to the PSF C? If so, what color is it?

Emma2006 wrote:
Mine seems to have stayed fresh so far.
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Jeannine,

I just got a reply from Darren. Here it is.

"The C-serum that we manufacture remains stable for quite some time. If it starts to yellow, it means that it has been stored improperly (in intense heat or light)or has gone past it's expiration date. We recommend finishing our serum at 6-8 months, as the outer shell of the nanosphere does degrade over time, exposing the ascorbic acid to the solution. We manufacture it in small batches so when we ship it to our customers & distributirs, it is always fresh.
I hope that helps!"

In another one of his replies, he said it's meant to be clear white or pearly white. I hope it helps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
If you're looking for stability & effectiveness, skinmedica's C is wonderful. I was scared to try it for the longest time-I visualized a silicone mess. Turns out it's more of a gel/lotion, works well & is stable. I wish EDS would give out samples-it's expensive for those who aren't sure about the texture. I took the plunge because I needed an effective C that travelled well for 2 months in Europe.It perfomed remarkably well and you can't beat a tube for travelling.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I feel just the way marina felt about taking the plunge for the SkinMedica C product. But I'm finally going to do it when my current stock of C runs out. It's always gotten good reviews -- I was worried too about the silicone base but most users are very pleased with the texture.

Hi lynn2525 - I haven't tried the brands you mentioned -- sorry I can't offer a comparison. I did try a sample of the 12% Emergen C product last spring -- don't know if the 20% texture is the same though. The 12% would be okay for me in winter but it was too rich (glycerine?) for me to use in warmer weather.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
I feel just the way marina felt about taking the plunge for the SkinMedica C product. But I'm finally going to do it when my current stock of C runs out. It's always gotten good reviews -- I was worried too about the silicone base but most users are very pleased with the texture.

Hi lynn2525 - I haven't tried the brands you mentioned -- sorry I can't offer a comparison. I did try a sample of the 12% Emergen C product last spring -- don't know if the 20% texture is the same though. The 12% would be okay for me in winter but it was too rich (glycerine?) for me to use in warmer weather.

Hi m.april

That's my concern too as I live in a very hot and humid country. I've read that PSF 12% is stickier than the 20%. However, since I've never used vit c before and my skin is very sensitive, I decided to take it slow and start with 12% and see how my skin handles it. I'm in an a/c room most of the time so hopefully, it'll be alright. What vit c serums have you used?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi lynn2525 - I use SkinCeuticals CE+Ferulic (15% C). I like it better than the first C serum I tried, IS Clinical Super Serum. I used SkinCeuticals Serum20 AOX last summer since it's not as oily as the other (no Vit.E). But between the 20% and no E, my skin got a bit dry, even though it was summer and my skin's oilier then. I don't know if the higher % C or the lack of E was the culprit. Or both. I've also used Janson Beckett C+C and it has a nice texture. But it doesn't contain l-ascorbic acid and that's the form of C I prefer to use.

I've been experimenting using C twice a day. It seems to be fading my freckles, but it's been less than two weeks so it's too soon to tell how much quicker it'll do the trick. But I'm encouraged so far. It's even already faded a red/scar area under my brow that's been there for years (I had a stubborn brow hair that was so hard to pluck and I'd kinda dig at it). I've always had to cover it with concealer but haven't had to the last couple of days!!!

I've been on the fence about SkinMedica and am thinking I could use it once a day and the SC CE+Ferulic the other time. I doubt that everyone could use C twice a day, though. Besides the obvious trouble trying to juggle products, it could be too drying or irritating for sensitive skin types to use C this often, especially at 15% strength. I'm not even sure if I can keep it up much longer since my skin's naturally dryer in winter. But so far it's been tolerable.

If your skin's sensitive and you're in dry A/C air most of the time, the Emergen C 12% just may work for you, especially since it's a lower % C. As I recall, it didn't sting the way stronger C sometimes does when I've applied it after exfoliating, etc. Not sure how the richer texture will fare for you out in humid weather though. Let us know about your experience!

Good luck!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
YIKES!!! Thanks so much for contacting Darren and passing this info on. It's been dark yellow since I first opened it. I store it in a cool cabinet with no light (except when I get it out to use it). I didn't know about the color changing thing until recently, and even then I thought the HA had made it yellow so I kept on using it. It wasn't till I got my first bottle of PSF HA and saw that HA is clear and at that same time was reading Tangal's posts that I started to worry. This is so frustrating--spending a lot of $ and time, only to find out I've been doing more harm. I appreciate your contacting Darren. Next time, I'll take more direct action and contact the maker myself. Thanks again!

lynn2525 wrote:
Jeannine,

I just got a reply from Darren. Here it is.

"The C-serum that we manufacture remains stable for quite some time. If it starts to yellow, it means that it has been stored improperly (in intense heat or light)or has gone past it's expiration date. We recommend finishing our serum at 6-8 months, as the outer shell of the nanosphere does degrade over time, exposing the ascorbic acid to the solution. We manufacture it in small batches so when we ship it to our customers & distributirs, it is always fresh.
I hope that helps!"

In another one of his replies, he said it's meant to be clear white or pearly white. I hope it helps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
u can buy the vit c samples sometimes on ebay for around $1 .They last about 4 days.This isthe best c on the market nothing compares to it, it makes your skin look really fresh and young.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |